E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Worn N54 Injector Bore from Improper Installation.

12-12-2021, 12:31 PM   #23
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAbuser View Post
Seems like a good kit that will save someone the hassle of changing the head.

I actually have a spare head at home that has an ovalled injector port but the price of this kit makes it uneconomical just to refurb. If If this kit was available before I replaced my head I would certainly tried it as it would have saved me days of hassle.

Cost of a new head is about £500 here then you also have the £100 head gasket and another £100 is bolts and gaskets. Then you still have the hassle of the labour.
The idea behind the kit is not really much different from decades old helicoil/sav-a-thread design. From what I can tell the inserts are "custom" but essentially look like screw threads that have been cut/machined out. Some readily available mass market inserts actually have a slightly better design where the tops can be spread out and have "teeth" so the insert cannot back itself out on its own. This kit doesn't appear to have that functionality and while its likely not as big of a concern considering you are not actively threading something in and out of the the insert like you would a spark plug, but pushing something in, there is still potential for loosening over time if not properly torqued. Not sure torque specs are even provided for the insert and there is no mention of a torque screwdriver being required for installation.

Only other "custom" part here is the tap having the depth guide to prevent the helicoil/insert from being dropped into the combustion chamber which can be designed differently as well.

All I am saying is this is definitely a great/while not new idea, but their cost is excessive for what is included IMHO.

I do wonder what their patent application actually includes, because there's not very much of this that is groundbreaking design.

Want to send me your injector ovaled out head so I can design my own cheaper version? Haha!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 01:10 PM   #24
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookalikehuuh View Post
The idea behind the kit is not really much different from decades old helicoil/sav-a-thread design. From what I can tell the inserts are "custom" but essentially look like screw threads that have been cut/machined out. Some readily available mass market inserts actually have a slightly better design where the tops can be spread out and have "teeth" so the insert cannot back itself out on its own. This kit doesn't appear to have that functionality and while its likely not as big of a concern considering you are not actively threading something in and out of the the insert like you would a spark plug, but pushing something in, there is still potential for loosening over time if not properly torqued. Not sure torque specs are even provided for the insert and there is no mention of a torque screwdriver being required for installation.

Only other "custom" part here is the tap having the depth guide to prevent the helicoil/insert from being dropped into the combustion chamber which can be designed differently as well.

All I am saying is this is definitely a great/while not new idea, but their cost is excessive for what is included IMHO.

I do wonder what their patent application actually includes, because there's not very much of this that is groundbreaking design.

Want to send me your injector ovaled out head so I can design my own cheaper version? Haha!
The volume of sales will be quite low so the only way this idea will pay is with a price like that. I'm glad the solution is out there but I think at this price most users will just keep using the copper washer or teflon tape.

I don't think you'd want to pay shipping from the UK for a head, they are pretty heavy. Must be plenty of broken ones in the US.
Appreciate 2
feuer4282.50
      12-12-2021, 05:49 PM   #25
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

This being for n53/4 and n63 application only might be sufficient to get a patent on it. Again price is good as is.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2023, 04:38 PM   #26
Vincent_E90
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 E90 335i 6MT BSM

reviving this dead thread for anyone who wants reference

1+ year later and maybe 8k miles injectors are holding strong with teflon tape.
Mine - 2008 E90 335i Black Sapphire Metallic 6MT | New OEM Turbos @ 111k| Cobb Stage 2 LT Sport | Full Stainless Steel Akrapovic Exhaust | 5'' Stepped FMIC | VRSF Catless Downpipes| 19in BBS CH-R Matte Black | aFe Stage 2 Air Intake and air scoops| Mishimoto OCC| M-Tech Front Bumper
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2023, 02:38 AM   #27
e82bro
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_E90 View Post
reviving this dead thread for anyone who wants reference

1+ year later and maybe 8k miles injectors are holding strong with teflon tape.
Hey man just wondering where you used Teflon tape and how much times did you wrap it?
A photo would be good if you had one I’m gonna attempt to fix my misfire sometime this week.
Do you think I should be safe and chuck a washer on aswell?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 02:02 AM   #28
e82bro
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Bump
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2023, 11:45 AM   #29
AidanN335iDCT
car's probably broken again
Rep
Drives: E92 335i DCT N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by e82bro View Post
Bump
I have this exact same issue, have it with the two-decoupler method (cut legs off one and stack it below a brand new one) no teflon tape. its holding so far but flashed the car back to stage 0 and driving it gently until I can afford a new head and fitting etc. gunna use it as a chance to do all preventative maintenance at once.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2023, 01:08 PM   #30
SlowE92
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 2007 335i, E60 2008 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidanN335iDCT View Post
I have this exact same issue, have it with the two-decoupler method (cut legs off one and stack it below a brand new one) no teflon tape. its holding so far but flashed the car back to stage 0 and driving it gently until I can afford a new head and fitting etc. gunna use it as a chance to do all preventative maintenance at once.
I wrapped plumbers tape on the injector of my 535xi. Been on JB4 map 2 for 10k Miles and no misfires as of yet, just make sure the injector is tight when seated..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2023, 01:27 PM   #31
AidanN335iDCT
car's probably broken again
Rep
Drives: E92 335i DCT N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoB96 View Post
I wrapped plumbers tape on the injector of my 535xi. Been on JB4 map 2 for 10k Miles and no misfires as of yet, just make sure the injector is tight when seated..
we didn't use any tape when installing as the guy giving me a hand (well known 335i UK magician) didn't want to use tape and neither of us had any on hand and it was getting late. its sealed with the double de-coupler trick just not sure what to do with the car, I feel like limping it around and then flogging it to someone that doesn't know any better isn't the right thing to do.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2023, 03:08 PM   #32
Maxmil982
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 e60 535i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoB96 View Post
Do you have a pic or can tell me where you put the tape?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2023, 10:18 AM   #33
SlowE92
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 2007 335i, E60 2008 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxmil982 View Post
Do you have a pic or can tell me where you put the tape?
Above the O-ring and below the decoupler, just wrap it until its a snug fit inside. Don't wrap the decoupler or you'll risk even more damage.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2023, 03:28 PM   #34
Bdouglas n54
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 manual e90 335xi

Hi,

I too am an idiot and did the same thing. I caught it fairly quickly tho. I only have a bit of play in my Cylinder 2 Injector. theoretically, if I were to do nothing about it what am I looking at? slightly lower compression or is it just a matter of time before I'll need to replace the head? How would I be able to tell how much damage there actually is and whether I truly need to do something about it?

I also noticed a large pulsing feeling in the cylinder 2 fuel feed line I'm not sure if that's from the injector bouncing in its bore but it is quite noticeable and I originally noticed a leak on the rail side of the line perhaps the fuel rail is bad which is why it happened only to cylinder 2. I purchased a new line just in case.
Appreciate 0