E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Any advice on performing BMS backend flash

08-07-2014, 01:53 PM   #23
11SEC
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewnami View Post
I don't think OP was asking the forum how to load the flash, he was asking if there were some things outside of the DIY that he should be concerned about because it says that, though the chances are slim to none, bricking the DME is possible... That is what is nerve wracking. Not step by step DIY's, but saying there is a small chance you could screw up the computer that controls everything in your car without telling you exactly how it would happen. Glad you are so adapt at tuning that this isn't of concern to you. It was a concern to me, but I ultimately did it and provided some feedback based on my experience. Your advice was not constructive, it was douchey. He clearly read the DIY on N54tech or he wouldn't have even known bricking was a possibility.

Back to answering the OP. If you are running JB4, the instructions tell you to set AFR and CPS values to 0... That sounded to me like manually enter 0's for all of those. Don't, just restore default settings and those values in the interface will change.
smh....I'm sorry if I'm coming off douchey but I don't understand how there is advice to be given when EVERYTHING is listed in the n54tech thread. I just don't understand why people can't spend the time and read. He doesn't need advice, he just needs to follow the steps and everything will be fine. People brick their DME because they do something wrong. If you measure twice, and cut once, you won't have a problem. Kids...
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 01:54 PM   #24
11SEC
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikex25 View Post
I wasn't asking a step by step instruction, just extra tips I could use or anything to be careful about.
What possible tips can there be? What advice? Follow the instructions exactly the way it's listed. Done. This isn't a hardware install where there could be tips on how to remove this or install that. It's simple software.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 02:04 PM   #25
mikex25
Major
Rep
Drives: Grey thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11SEC View Post
What possible tips can there be? What advice? Follow the instructions exactly the way it's listed. Done. This isn't a hardware install where there could be tips on how to remove this or install that. It's simple software.
thanks for all your help!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 02:06 PM   #26
mikex25
Major
Rep

Quote:
smh....I'm sorry if I'm coming off douchey but I don't understand how there is advice to be given when EVERYTHING is listed in the n54tech thread. I just don't understand why people can't spend the time and read. He doesn't need advice, he just needs to follow the steps and everything will be fine. People brick their DME because they do something wrong. If you measure twice, and cut once, you won't have a problem. Kids...
First of all I don't even get why you are replying to this thread, I'm asking people for tips, if you have nothing good to say just move it along.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 02:10 PM   #27
mikex25
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuDai View Post
Since running with the backend flash I tend to boost 1-2 psi higher for some reason when using 94 octane. And the car just runs smoother in general. The boost is for sure thing on mine when comparing logs from before and after. I'm hitting 17-18 psi consistently on 94 pump gas with mods in sig on map 5 and map 2 in the mid range.

Don't know about the smoother thing, that's probably just placebo.
Thanks, I don't plan to use too much e85, but I'm in California with crappy 91. As long as you see an improvement, i'm all for it.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 02:27 PM   #28
j1gilles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

Quote:
I don't think OP was asking the forum how to load the flash, he was asking if there were some things outside of the DIY that he should be concerned about because it says that, though the chances are slim to none, bricking the DME is possible... That is what is nerve wracking. Not step by step DIY's, but saying there is a small chance you could screw up the computer that controls everything in your car without telling you exactly how it would happen. Glad you are so adapt at tuning that this isn't of concern to you. It was a concern to me, but I ultimately did it and provided some feedback based on my experience. Your advice was not constructive, it was douchey. He clearly read the DIY on N54tech or he wouldn't have even known bricking was a possibility.

Back to answering the OP. If you are running JB4, the instructions tell you to set AFR and CPS values to 0... That sounded to me like manually enter 0's for all of those. Don't, just restore default settings and those values in the interface will change.
Wait???? I just "zeroed" out the CPS and AFR values as described. Is that not what we should be doing? Everyone I know running a flash and JB4 did it they way I did.
      08-07-2014, 02:36 PM   #29
brewnami
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i M Sport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1gilles View Post
Wait???? I just "zeroed" out the CPS and AFR values as described. Is that not what we should be doing? Everyone I know running a flash and JB4 did it they way I did.

I'm guessing that way works as well. I just restored the default settings and it cleared everything for me. I had to reset my meth flow and additive, but that's it.
2009 335i M Sport coupe, BSM with black/aluminum interior, 6MT, JB4 G5, MDH Backend Flash, Walbro 255 inline LPFP, VRSF Inlets, BMS 3" catless DP's, Borla Aggressive catback, ER FMIC, ER charge pipe, Tial BOV, BMS 2.3 gal Meth Kit, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve, Ported CDV, RB PCV, Cyba ram air scoops, Status Gruppe SRS coilovers, ECS trailing arms, Forgestar F14 SDC.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 02:37 PM   #30
11SEC
Banned
Rep

Quote:
First of all I don't even get why you are replying to this thread, I'm asking people for tips, if you have nothing good to say just move it along.
Here is the only tip you need...follow the instructions.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 02:44 PM   #31
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Can someone explain what a backend flash is?
How is it different than using an JB4?
What are the pros/cons?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 03:30 PM   #32
DuDai
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Thanks, I don't plan to use too much e85, but I'm in California with crappy 91. As long as you see an improvement, i'm all for it.
We have no e85 here whatsoever. I actually have started within past month using only 109. So the backend flash really helps with that. But now I've fried my clutch using that. So having the power is useless to me.
      08-07-2014, 03:31 PM   #33
DuDai
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocity02 View Post
Can someone explain what a backend flash is?
How is it different than using an JB4?
What are the pros/cons?
Backed flash helps control the fueling and timing. It controls the stuff that the JB4 couldn't control or did a crappy job of. So with the backend flash, now you get all the benefits of the Cobb, plus the benefits of the JB4.
      08-07-2014, 03:46 PM   #34
brewnami
Major
Rep

Quote:

Here's a tip for you; mikex25 has been a member of this forum for over 7 years, you have been here for 3 months; keep your douchey attitude to yourself. The reason people hate reading 50+ pages of threads is because people like you clog it up with useless crap.
2009 335i M Sport coupe, BSM with black/aluminum interior, 6MT, JB4 G5, MDH Backend Flash, Walbro 255 inline LPFP, VRSF Inlets, BMS 3" catless DP's, Borla Aggressive catback, ER FMIC, ER charge pipe, Tial BOV, BMS 2.3 gal Meth Kit, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve, Ported CDV, RB PCV, Cyba ram air scoops, Status Gruppe SRS coilovers, ECS trailing arms, Forgestar F14 SDC.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 04:28 PM   #35
mikex25
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11SEC
Quote:
GO AWAY
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 04:30 PM   #36
mikex25
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuDai
Quote:
We have no e85 here whatsoever. I actually have started within past month using only 109. So the backend flash really helps with that. But now I've fried my clutch using that. So having the power is useless to me.
I hear so many good things about race gas/e85 and I know I'm gonna be addicted
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 04:32 PM   #37
mikex25
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewnami
Quote:

Here's a tip for you; mikex25 has been a member of this forum for over 7 years, you have been here for 3 months; keep your douchey attitude to yourself. The reason people hate reading 50+ pages of threads is because people like you clog it up with useless crap.
Thank you, I figured we could be adults here and help each other out. I been a member here for a long time, got a 335 when it first came out and it's people like him makes this board go down hill.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 04:46 PM   #38
mikex25
Major
Rep

With the e85 flash is it kind of annoying that whenever you fill up you have to look for a e85 station?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 05:05 PM   #39
DuDai
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Just be prepared to replace tires and the clutch if you're still on stock clutch. My clutch lasted 2 weeks. Or maybe I should say, 3 nights of spirited driving on 109 octane. Actually with 109 octane Terry recommended using the E85 flash instead of the race gas too. Its a real kick in the pants for power!
      08-07-2014, 05:33 PM   #40
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuDai View Post
Backed flash helps control the fueling and timing. It controls the stuff that the JB4 couldn't control or did a crappy job of. So with the backend flash, now you get all the benefits of the Cobb, plus the benefits of the JB4.
I see, thanks! Why do they call it a "backend" flash?

Is the backend flash specific to the vehicle/mods/fuel, or does it also have the ability to "learn" like the JB4?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 05:53 PM   #41
Ingeniator
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 335XI(90) 09 135I(82)

Quote:
Because time lurking = I'm an expert. 7yrs with 250 posts is not an opinion I would want. Best of luck following the above tips. I hope wedge can help when you brick your dme.
09 135I M (VK80379) 6MT. Race Project car. 1) Install Cobb/piggyback? and Motiv 600 Kit[HTA3076R w/ tial .82] 2) JRZ or Moton suspension. 3) Build high flow intake manifold with multi-port fuel and relocate OFH 4) Build full cage 5) Complete staged twin setup with HTA4205R [w/Tial 1.16] 6) Complete dry sump system
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 06:13 PM   #42
mikex25
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingeniator
Quote:
Because time lurking = I'm an expert. 7yrs with 250 posts is not an opinion I would want. Best of luck following the above tips. I hope wedge can help when you brick your dme.
What opinion did I give? I'm the one asking
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 06:16 PM   #43
mikex25
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuDai
Quote:
Just be prepared to replace tires and the clutch if you're still on stock clutch. My clutch lasted 2 weeks. Or maybe I should say, 3 nights of spirited driving on 109 octane. Actually with 109 octane Terry recommended using the E85 flash instead of the race gas too. Its a real kick in the pants for power!
What clutch replacement did you get?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 06:54 PM   #44
brewnami
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingeniator View Post

He didn't give an opinion, he asked a question... Read the damn thread, or did you get your super awesome 800+ post count just trolling threads for the last few months and writing irrelevant crap like this? 7 years on this forum shows me he's been involved with the E9X platform for quite a bit longer than any of us.
Appreciate 0