E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > PHD FB 4.1 midrange test

12-23-2015, 11:02 PM   #23
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F15,18 M550,20 Highlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW335TT View Post
Oh ok .. Still impressive considering the price of PHD
Not sure what pricing you're referring to but the AF1.C is more costly than the MP 5 series and not much less than the MP 7 series.

AC Schnitzer/Eibach/M Performance/RaceChip/Compustar/Drone/BimmerTech/FireTV/Helix/Dynaudio/Micro-Precision/Jehnert/Audiomobile
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 12:07 PM   #24
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdcoupe
Quote:
Oh ok .. Still impressive considering the price of PHD
Not sure what pricing you're referring to but the AF1.C is more costly than the MP 5 series and not much less than the MP 7 series.
There is brand new AF sets on eBay for under $400 for midbass and tweeters. One of my ScanSpeak drivers cost almost as much as that set lol.

That's pretty cheap considering MP Z studio is thousands just for tweeters and I doubt it's that much better. Which is why I said MP is over priced. But the Z studio does look amazing! Probably the best looking out there along with the Sonus Faber Ex3ma components.
      12-24-2015, 08:00 PM   #25
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There is brand new AF sets on eBay for under $400 for midbass and tweeters. One of my ScanSpeak drivers cost almost as much as that set lol.

That's pretty cheap considering MP Z studio is thousands just for tweeters and I doubt it's that much better. Which is why I said MP is over priced. But the Z studio does look amazing! Probably the best looking out there along with the Sonus Faber Ex3ma components.
Definitely not from legitimate sources though so we need to keep the comparisons fair. Also to compare the AF to the Z Studio isn't fair and yes the difference is quite substantial. I Do know a bit about both of these product lines.

AC Schnitzer/Eibach/M Performance/RaceChip/Compustar/Drone/BimmerTech/FireTV/Helix/Dynaudio/Micro-Precision/Jehnert/Audiomobile
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 09:24 PM   #26
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Definitely not from legitimate sources though so we need to keep the comparisons fair. Also to compare the AF to the Z Studio isn't fair and yes the difference is quite substantial. I Do know a bit about both of these product lines.
Not sure most people care about source as long as the product is legit.

So you have a lot of experience with both speakers, I'm sure you are well aware of other brands out there as well. Would you say the Z Studio price is justified by its performance? From all the other soft dome, Be, ribbon, etc is the msrp of the Z studio justifiable?

All I said is MP is over priced and PHD is good value if it performs how mathematics said. I remember him saying he liked MP over his Dynaudio tweeters and he liked PHD over MP. That's says a lot for PHD.
      12-24-2015, 11:22 PM   #27
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep

Quote:

So you have a lot of experience with both speakers, I'm sure you are well aware of other brands out there as well. Would you say the Z Studio price is justified by its performance? From all the other soft dome, Be, ribbon, etc is the msrp of the Z studio justifiable?

All I said is MP is over priced and PHD is good value if it performs how mathematics said. I remember him saying he liked MP over his Dynaudio tweeters and he liked PHD over MP. That's says a lot for PHD.
And if it is an illegitimate source, then how would there be certainty of a legitimate product ?

Irrelevant what I believe, it is the opinion of the owner, which in this country normally would not be paying 'SRP' anyway. However you're still stuck on the SRP price of the highest model MP tweeter vs and upper end, illegitimately priced/sourced PHD product. To be fair, compare them equally, that's all.

Define 'overpriced'. Yes, the PHD is still an incredibly good value however you're still in an apples to oranges comparison. He liked his 5 series MP over Dynaudio Esotec 102s and his PHD AFs over his MP 5 series. Hardly dictates an entire line over another. There is clearly lineup, cost and performance differences.

Not stirring a pot here but there also needs to be some clarity otherwise your posts make it appear as though, in a clear cut, Black and White overall PHD < MP < Dynaudio which is simply not the case nor a fair assessment.

Appreciate 0
      12-25-2015, 03:37 AM   #28
mathematics
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 328i e93 alpine white

I wanna try PHD studio mini's
iPhone 6 Plus (iTunes library/iTunes radio/Waze, etc) to Airport Express via AirPlay. Toslink out of Airport Express to Helix P-Six DSP. PHD AF 1.C tweeters, PHD FB 4.1 midranges. Jehnert Door Cards and mid-bass'.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2015, 10:08 AM   #29
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

And if it is an illegitimate source, then how would there be certainty of a legitimate product ?

Irrelevant what I believe, it is the opinion of the owner, which in this country normally would not be paying 'SRP' anyway. However you're still stuck on the SRP price of the highest model MP tweeter vs and upper end, illegitimately priced/sourced PHD product. To be fair, compare them equally, that's all.

Define 'overpriced'. Yes, the PHD is still an incredibly good value however you're still in an apples to oranges comparison. He liked his 5 series MP over Dynaudio Esotec 102s and his PHD AFs over his MP 5 series. Hardly dictates an entire line over another. There is clearly lineup, cost and performance differences.

Not stirring a pot here but there also needs to be some clarity otherwise your posts make it appear as though, in a clear cut, Black and White overall PHD < MP < Dynaudio which is simply not the case nor a fair assessment.
Unless PHD has a known issue with fake products there's a good chance it's real. Of course there isn't a 100% certainty but, like you said, It's up to the buyer. I don't know what your definition of "illegitimate" source is but if you buy something and it comes just as described, it's legitimate. They might not be authorized retailers, I got my PS8 from a shop that isn't listed on ARCs website.. About $500 compared to $999 on ARCs site

Ok, you got stuck on MP vs PHD.. The point of my original post was that PHD is good value.....in general. I chose the z studio because the price gap is huge. The Dynaudio you just named is $1400 for a 3 way on eBay..... PHD mid basses are priced at like $115 FOR A PAIR.

Again, all I'm saying is PHD is good value based solely on what mathematics has said dyn>MP>PHD and the pricing I see online.