E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Cobb/JB4/MHD

05-19-2016, 02:18 PM   #23
Hpirx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240 xDrive, BGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87 View Post
Here's probably the best breakdown of these and I bet it will help some of these guys in here.

COBB - for people who arent able to do a simple search
MHD - for people who are able to do a simple search, but dont have time to read
JB4 - for people who are able to do a simple search, but dont want to spend $50 on an android device.
JB4 + MHD - for people who arent lazy.

based on this, OP get a COBB
You say that like being lazy's a bad thing!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 02:22 PM   #24
TGNY 335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
I said JB4 does not just trick the ECU and add boost, it does other things

You replied and said you are wrong the JB4 adjusts boost and also tricks the ECU to adjust fueling

So basically you proved me right that JB4 does more than just trick the ECU to add boost blindly

Whether it is the best tune or not is a different subject and will depend on the customer and what they are looking for

Post of my post is to say Jb4 is not a stage 1 tune that adds boost blindly and just hope for the best. It is a complete tune that can monitor all the important variable and can adjust a few

lol, you said the JB4 doesn't trick the ECU to make power. but its does. thats how it does what it does. Boost is not the only thing that makes power. JB4 Fueling, tricks the ecu by changing the pressure sensor output, retarding timing (G5) tricks the ECU by changing crank sensor output. Everything it does it does by tricking the ECU into doing it by altering the values it sees. Just like every other piggyback on the market.

But anyway, i'll leave it alone. don't want to get banned for disagreeing with a vendor.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 02:27 PM   #25
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

JB4 has it's benefits in this platform when it calls for it. Those with back end flashes that are stacking JB4 know exactly what that means. If you don't know what that means, then you are not there yet. Keep modding then you'll find the limitation and that's where the stacking of Flash + JB4 comes in.

Can a simple bolt on guy use a Jb4 and be content and happy with it, sure. There are 1000's of guys doing that today. I even have customers with JB3's that love their cars.

Same can go for someone wanting a Cobb or MHD.

There are a bunch of ways to cut the chicken here and cook it.

For the typical Joe and "basic mods" all the tunes will get anyone where they need to be.

Going beyond the basics, E85, custom tuning, methanol integration, upgraded turbo's, limitations of hardware, costs/budget ETC is where these tunes start separating themselves.

For the question of JB4 VS COBB VS MHD it becomes a little tiring to answer all the pros and cons of each.

Some of those cons may not really affect everyone the same way.

For example, JB4 hard to install... Well, not really for someone who's done it a bunch of times. I can install it in about 20 minutes casually.

JB4 tricks the ECU. OK yea, it's a piggyback. This isn't earth shattering news. This platform started with Piggybacks since day 1 and for the longest time there wasn't a flash except for Dinan or Giac which were both very over -priced and then you were stuck with those tunes with no resale value. (Now I'm getting off on a tangent though).

MHD cons in the past have been sourcing the right cable (which we know a good source for) and other OTG incompatibilities with the android device ETC

Then again, MHD is very capable and has a great price point entry.

Biggest "CON" about Cobb as of lately is it's not supported. The term is thrown around very loosely as if Cobb will not help someone who purchased it. This is not the case. If you buy a Cobb today and have questions their customer service will help you.

When people say it's not supported it just means they are not involved in producing new maps or map updates but this is pretty moot as the maps they have are just fine for their "average" customer base.

That being said the OTS maps have been good enough for quite some time now. Anyone who's anyone with a Cobb on any platform (Subaru, Ford, ETC) knows that the base maps are conservative and if you want to really wake up the car after you have basic bolts on, you need to go with a custom tune.

Other good news is Cobb has come down on their price point (it's about time)...

That being said for a newcomer or otherwise person just getting into the platform they will all make about the same power out of the box.

I'm sure no matter how unbiased I try to phrase this someone will knit pick the details. I'm just trying to stick with facts though.

I could rant forever about tunes. OP, take the information here with a grain of salt. Contact someone who you trust their opinion on. Ask the appropriate question and think of what your goals are and what's important to you.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 02:34 PM   #26
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGNY 335 View Post
lol, you said the JB4 doesn't trick the ECU to make power. but its does. thats how it does what it does. Boost is not the only thing that makes power. JB4 Fueling, tricks the ecu by changing the pressure sensor output, retarding timing (G5) tricks the ECU by changing crank sensor output. Everything it does it does by tricking the ECU into doing it by altering the values it sees. Just like every other piggyback on the market.

But anyway, i'll leave it alone. don't want to get banned for disagreeing with a vendor.
1- you will not get banned for disagreeing with a vendor, at least not with me. This is a forum and i expect different opinions

2- How the Jb4 does these things does not change the actual result, Result is the JB4 different than other piggybacks actually has the ability to change variables other than boost

3- you seem very knowledgeable (not being sarcastic), so im sure you know this. AFR and timing are lowered so boost can be higher. So changing the AFR or timing does not make more power , it actually make less power but it is done so car can target higher boost values while still being safe for the engine .

Thats why i said JB4 does not only trick the ECU to make power. It targets richer AFR to protect the engine, It has a limit of boost by gear to help traction ( lower boost = lower power but in real world result lower boost means better traction so faster car,etc...)

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 02:34 PM   #27
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGNY 335 View Post

BTW i stack JB4 and Cobb on my car so im not trying to say JB4 is a tune that does all for every user

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 04:06 PM   #28
Gohan335i7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2010 335i  [10.00]
Cool

Everything Mike & Jeff said!!☝🏻️ But If it were me I would go with Cobb!! Good Luck making a decision... Pros and cons 2 both and both have a good amount of people running the tunes. Personal preference will go a long way when choosing a Tune. Look up which one gives you the options you want...
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 07:39 PM   #29
theweebabySeamus
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdara View Post
So couple of things:

1)That was August 2015, it is May 2016, things could have changed in that time.
2)He didn't explain pros/cons between COBB and MHD

I for one was looking forward to a good discussion between cobb and mhd in this thread as of May 2016.
That's a fair point. But these tune comparison questions pop up at least once a month, you could just pick anyone of the many 'good discussion between Cobb and MHD' that's popped up in 2016. Not trying to be a dick, they just really pop up THAT often.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 08:22 PM   #30
Jozy
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Singapore
Rep
Drives: R32 GTR

i love these topics....

best fmic
best tune
best dp
best cp+bov
      05-19-2016, 08:25 PM   #31
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozy View Post
i love these topics....

best fmic
best tune
best dp
best cp+bov
You forgot best oil

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 08:33 PM   #32
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozy
i love these topics....

best fmic
best tune
best dp
best cp+bov
Are u askin or r u tellin? Cuz I want answers naoow!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 08:41 PM   #33
Sgop335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e92, 08 535i

05-19-2016, 09:23 PM   #34
3.1L Z
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 E92, Cobb AP

And no such thing as a 2006 335i

'11 E92, MSport
3 Pedal 3.1L Stroker Z
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 10:10 PM   #35
Jozy
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Singapore
Rep
Drives: R32 GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.1L Z View Post
maybe not in the US
      05-19-2016, 10:15 PM   #36
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamshock nick View Post
Hi

I have a 2006 335i and keep hearing about these products.

I'm sure everyone will have their own opinion, however what's the best of the bunch and are they all safe without any other modifications?

Why would you pick this over a mapper...mapping the car?

From what I understand the MHD is the easier one to use as you do it off a phone?!?

I'm not fussed about ease, just a safe way to get more power.

Thanks
OP and others, what is 2006 335i ??? 335i came in 2007
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 10:59 PM   #37
ritzzzzzwik
Captain
Rep
Drives: SO M4 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
You forgot best oil
Olive Oil. Extra VIRGIN!
and Vaseline for smoother shifts
2007 335i E92 MT | MFactory LSD | Diff Brace | MHD/Wedge Tuned| BL Coils | Stg2 lpfp BoostConcepts | VRSF DPs | VRSF 7" HD FMIC | DCI | VRSF CP | BMW SSK | Billstein PSS Coilovers | M3 Control Arms | Whiteline Rear SF Inserts | SS brake lines | Z4 35is Rotors | Hawk 5.0 pads | M219s + PSS | PE Mod -SOLD
2016 M4 F82 MT
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2016, 03:12 AM   #38
Brule
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92 6spd man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.1L Z View Post
Plenty of them.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 03:30 AM   #39
teamshock nick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
JB4 has it's benefits in this platform when it calls for it. Those with back end flashes that are stacking JB4 know exactly what that means. If you don't know what that means, then you are not there yet. Keep modding then you'll find the limitation and that's where the stacking of Flash + JB4 comes in.

Can a simple bolt on guy use a Jb4 and be content and happy with it, sure. There are 1000's of guys doing that today. I even have customers with JB3's that love their cars.

Same can go for someone wanting a Cobb or MHD.

There are a bunch of ways to cut the chicken here and cook it.

For the typical Joe and "basic mods" all the tunes will get anyone where they need to be.

Going beyond the basics, E85, custom tuning, methanol integration, upgraded turbo's, limitations of hardware, costs/budget ETC is where these tunes start separating themselves.

For the question of JB4 VS COBB VS MHD it becomes a little tiring to answer all the pros and cons of each.

Some of those cons may not really affect everyone the same way.

For example, JB4 hard to install... Well, not really for someone who's done it a bunch of times. I can install it in about 20 minutes casually.

JB4 tricks the ECU. OK yea, it's a piggyback. This isn't earth shattering news. This platform started with Piggybacks since day 1 and for the longest time there wasn't a flash except for Dinan or Giac which were both very over -priced and then you were stuck with those tunes with no resale value. (Now I'm getting off on a tangent though).

MHD cons in the past have been sourcing the right cable (which we know a good source for) and other OTG incompatibilities with the android device ETC

Then again, MHD is very capable and has a great price point entry.

Biggest "CON" about Cobb as of lately is it's not supported. The term is thrown around very loosely as if Cobb will not help someone who purchased it. This is not the case. If you buy a Cobb today and have questions their customer service will help you.

When people say it's not supported it just means they are not involved in producing new maps or map updates but this is pretty moot as the maps they have are just fine for their "average" customer base.

That being said the OTS maps have been good enough for quite some time now. Anyone who's anyone with a Cobb on any platform (Subaru, Ford, ETC) knows that the base maps are conservative and if you want to really wake up the car after you have basic bolts on, you need to go with a custom tune.

Other good news is Cobb has come down on their price point (it's about time)...

That being said for a newcomer or otherwise person just getting into the platform they will all make about the same power out of the box.

I'm sure no matter how unbiased I try to phrase this someone will knit pick the details. I'm just trying to stick with facts though.

I could rant forever about tunes. OP, take the information here with a grain of salt. Contact someone who you trust their opinion on. Ask the appropriate question and think of what your goals are and what's important to you.

Hope that helps.
Very! thanks

To throw another spanner in the works then, would you ever pick a regular map over one of these units, on a standard car?

It's also defintly a 2006
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 08:49 AM   #40
sloweste9x
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E61 535XI, E92 335I (Sold)

Garage List
MHD no question
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 08:52 AM   #41
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamshock nick View Post
Very! thanks

To throw another spanner in the works then, would you ever pick a regular map over one of these units, on a standard car?

It's also defintly a 2006
Not sure I understanding the question, can you rephrase?

FYI guys they had a 2006 overaseas. Not in US IIRC.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 08:41 AM   #42
guop
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: n54 E90 Msport

Hd
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 09:03 PM   #43
B.M.W.
Something Danger Zone
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritzzzzzwik View Post
Olive Oil. Extra VIRGIN!
and Vaseline for smoother shifts
All our Oils are virgins since we don't have short-throw dipsticks in these motors.
If you rub the Turbos with Cheeta blood then you'll see a +420 horsepower to the wheels.
Appreciate 0