E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > The Grand Tour

11-30-2016, 05:33 AM   #23
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

I must be the only person who really enjoyed episode 2. Everyone I talk to seems to hate it and all the online comments are negative.
I found it hilarious. Typical Top Gear humor which stopped being about the cars and more about lads mucking about years ago.
GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, DCT, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.79@119mph (stock turbos)
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 01:10 PM   #24
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

The next couple of episodes are in England. Hopefully the cars and banter will be a bit more homegrown.

They are also at Loch Ness later in the series.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 03:49 PM   #25
Ao1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAWS View Post
I must be the only person who really enjoyed episode 2. Everyone I talk to seems to hate it and all the online comments are negative.
I found it hilarious. Typical Top Gear humor which stopped being about the cars and more about lads mucking about years ago.
I enjoyed it as well. Looking forward to seeing how episode 3 lines up.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 05:47 PM   #26
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

It was good in bits, but some of it wasn't again.

There's too much content that just feels like time wasting. It adds nothing to the show and the staged content/banter just doesn't work for me. I know it has always been staged, but it feels too forced and trying too hard.

It does just feel like a poorer version of what Top Gear was.

I've no idea how they aren't breaching copyright. Again tonight did a lot of stuff that was Top Gear.

I did expect a bit more tonight.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 03:34 AM   #27
BMW Steve
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 535D & e93 335i Highline

Following On, now watched No5 and although each episode at some point has had me in stiches due to the humor and messing about, The old Top Gear it's not, I am finding things a little straining at times, lots of irrelevant crap and time filling. But I will continue to ponder, come on episode 6, lets see what's install.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 07:12 AM   #28
Thermobaric
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

Yeah. Certainly not old Top Gear which is a shame but not unexpected. Got to give them a bit of time for them to re adjust. I wish they would hire me as a QA consultant. I would tell them the crap they need to cut and the stuff to do more of heh.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 04:22 PM   #29
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermobaric View Post
Yeah. Certainly not old Top Gear which is a shame but not unexpected. Got to give them a bit of time for them to re adjust. I wish they would hire me as a QA consultant. I would tell them the crap they need to cut and the stuff to do more of heh.
They shouldn't really need time to adjust as they've been doing it for a long time and have the main people from the old Top Gear team.

I do find it odd that Chris Evans' Top Gear was ripped to bits after 5 minutes and given no time to develop with an entirely new team, but The Grand Tour is given loads of slack.

The trailer for tonight looks good though.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 04:56 PM   #30
Thermobaric
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

Yeah. I initially thought that but then I figured, sure, the team is mostly familiar but they have to adapt to the transition from the BBC to Amazon. I think I would find it overwhelming with pretty much no limits to what they can do. Hence ending up with stuff like the Jordanian army bit that fell flat.

People would have been much more open to new Top Gear if they hadn't have hired that ginger muppet. I don't think the BBC realized just how unwatchable he is to many people.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 05:28 PM   #31
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep
Drives: Blah

Whereas the Grand Tour hasn't really moved on from the old Top Gear formula,I thought (apart from Chris Evans' on-screen input) that the 'new' Top Gear may be heading in the right direction.
Both have flaws,but it's a bonus for the viewer having the choice.It will be interesting to see whether GT pays off its huge investment...
Its a bit like your parents getting divorced-it's kind of sad,but then you realise that you get twice as many presents in the long run.Sort of!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 05:18 PM   #32
Tinsta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1CSL

Latest episode is more drivel.. the GT40 and Ferrari feature was the best bit..
      12-25-2016, 01:27 AM   #33
raptor_f22
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330d M Sport Auto

Each episode has its moments - funny, exciting, original, interesting. But each episode is also then filled with utter drivel, cheesiness, painfully scripted comedy and that stupid celebrity thing I wish they'd stop doing!

Overall I still like it but at the moment it's like having Matt Le Blanc on Top Gear - it's got the potential to be hilarious, it has moments of genius but it just feels... Forced.

Think they should change the format of the show and please get rid of that American guy driving the cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 08:55 AM   #34
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

The Le Mans feature was good. The rest was weak again.

What's with all the penis jokes, condoms and sex toys banter? Does anybody actually find it funny?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 10:40 AM   #35
BMW Steve
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 535D & e93 335i Highline

No7. The Beach (Buggy) Boys - Part 1

This was so much better then listening to them dribble on in a staged environment, looking forward to part 2 tonight.

Quote from Amazon

In the first of two special shows, Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May are challenged to complete an epic journey across Namibia in three beach buggies, each built to their personal spec. What starts off as a simple determination to win an argument with their boss turns into an amazing adventure across some of the most incredible desert scenery Africa has to offer.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 05:51 PM   #36
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

I thought today's Beach Boys was poor. Nothing happened for most of the show.

Drive up, drive back, wrong way again......

That could have been condensed into much less that 45minutes. I'm thinking two episodes should have been one which I'm assuming on the basis part 2 is good.

It doesn't look comfortable, it doesn't feel natural and all the swearing still adds nothing for me. They don't look as if they are having fun like used to be the case.

There was also the issue that there was so many errors with the filming.

It's turning into a very sloppy production in every aspect.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 10:25 AM   #37
richk84
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: e93 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
It was good in bits, but some of it wasn't again.

There's too much content that just feels like time wasting. It adds nothing to the show and the staged content/banter just doesn't work for me. I know it has always been staged, but it feels too forced and trying too hard.

It does just feel like a poorer version of what Top Gear was.

I've no idea how they aren't breaching copyright. Again tonight did a lot of stuff that was Top Gear.

I did expect a bit more tonight.
Completely agree with this.

I've stopped watching now as it simply doesn't interest me. I'm actually looking forward to see what new Top Gear do with MLB, Rory and Harris.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 03:10 PM   #38
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep
Drives: Beige G31 40ix m sport

Garage List
I'd like to see Jenson Button take Chris Evans place on new top gear.
As for the grand tour I'll wait until it's sold to itv. I already pay out enough with licence fee & sky for the privilege of watching mainly mediocre program's
Appreciate 0