E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 07 335i - scanned 16 codes! Where to start?

10-07-2020, 04:26 PM   #23
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

It's a connector used during transport of the vehicle from the factory to their destination. Not used beyond that, you can forget about it.

I would look up the exact spec of the GH772 battery and buy one specced the same. If you go with a different type or AH rating, you'll need to register it to the car to make sure it charges properly.
Appreciate 1
RDMNB3.50
      10-08-2020, 06:30 AM   #24
RDMNB
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
It's a connector used during transport of the vehicle from the factory to their destination. Not used beyond that, you can forget about it.

I would look up the exact spec of the GH772 battery and buy one specced the same. If you go with a different type or AH rating, you'll need to register it to the car to make sure it charges properly.
I can't find this battery online at all. However I did find a different brand using the same exact model # (weird?) and seems to have same specs:

Should I go with these specs?

My buddy owns a car parts shop. So I just need to tell him I want AGM battery (since my battery is black) and show him these specs, that's it?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 12:50 PM   #25
RDMNB
Enlisted Member
Rep

Alright, got a new battery. Same one. When removing old one, I could not find a vent hose. Should I have one? With the battery out I looked everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 01:02 PM   #26
fgpalmer71
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Genesis sedan 3.8 AWD

I just replaced my battery 2 weeks ago and I had a vent tube on mine. 2009 E93 335i that came with an AGM from factory, previous owners installed a lead acid battery and didn't register it properly, I rectified that with my install.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 01:04 PM   #27
fgpalmer71
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Genesis sedan 3.8 AWD

On my batteries, the tube from the car plugged into the vent hole on the battery located on the side of the battery which faces the cabin of the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 01:07 PM   #28
RDMNB
Enlisted Member
Rep

Damn. Could the tube have been ripped out by the previous owner?

Is there any sensor attached to that tube?
Will not having it cause any issues when running INPA looking for issues with the car?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 01:56 PM   #29
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDMNB View Post
So I got a pic of the battery specs. can I just give these specs to the local parts store to buy a battery? Or do I need to give extra info?
What/Who says you need a new battery? You NO LONGER have 16 codes per your Post #19; ONLY TWO. NEITHER of those codes have anything to do with the Battery SoC or SoH (State of Charge or State of Health). I'd diagnose & correct the separate condition that is causing each of the two codes, and then let us know if there are any issues with Starting, Electrical System, or Warning Lights.

93B2 | MRS: Safety battery terminal | mrs5 | Multiple restraint system
Likely cause of that fault is the plug attached to the BST itself, as discussed in detail in Post #12 above in this thread.

A8AE | FRM: Fog light, left, faulty | frm_70
Either the bulb is bad or socket/wiring has a fault

IF/When you go to replace your battery, I would suggest using INPA or ISTA to determine what the current "Battery Type/Capacity" coding is. Using INPA, you would view that information on the "PM (Power Management) InfoField 2" Screen which is accessed by the following Menu Sequence.

First connect to the DME Module by selecting the following from the Script Selection Listboxes at opening screen:
Engine in Left Listbox;
N54 MSD80 in Right Listbox;
That should open the DME Main Menu;
Select F5 Status/Live Data;
Select F5 PM Menu;
Select F3 PM 2 Byte Field or "InfoField 2"
That's DME > F5 > F5 > F3 PM Infofield 2

Battery Capacity in Ah (Amp-hours) is the 7th Row from top on Left Side.
If that setting is 90 Ah, then the car came from the factory with that setting and whoever replaced the original battery with the ~ 75 Ah "130RC" H7 battery that's in it FAILED to set the Capacity to the proper setting.

My suggestion is:
If you still have the 90 Ah capacity setting as viewed above, WHEN you need to replace the battery, get an "H8" conventional battery which WILL have a 90 Ah capacity, MORE CCA & CA, AND you will NOT have to reset ANYTHING.

The larger H8 is a bit harder to get in/out of the battery compartment in your convertible than my E91 Wagon, but that's almost certainly what was installed at the factory. You will see at least an inch of space behind the H7 battery, and another "Hold-Down" threaded hole for the rear anchor bolt behind your existing battery. You will need to use THAT rearmost anchor hole for the H8.

Here's a good replacement with 5-year warranty (3 years free replacement, 2 years pro-rata) which is what I put in mine:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart...0-CCA/16782659

George
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 02:40 PM   #30
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
... Could the tube have been ripped out by the previous owner? Is there any sensor attached to that tube? Will not having it cause any issues when running INPA looking for issues with the car?
Yes; No; No.

If your car originally came with AGM battery, perhaps there was NO vent tube from the Factory. ANYONE whose car originally had AGM who has NO Vent tube? There is NO sensor related to Battery Vent, and presence or absence of vent tube will NOT affect INPA/ISTA Readouts.

My 2007 (3/2007 build date) E91 came from Factory with 90 Ah conventional Battery (ISTA Vehicle ID indicates) and photo of Vent Tube is attached to NEXT post. It is the Gray Plastic tube attached to the elbow shown beside the DME B+ Supply, next to the Inboard Transfer Point Cover. If the replacement battery is conventional FLA, then you need the Elbow at the battery, a plastic tube to the elbow next to Transfer Point AND -- DON'T Forget the Plug to seal the battery vent hole on the (-) terminal/ rear end of the battery.

If your Alternator/ Voltage Regulator ever has "Over-voltage" issues, Hydrogen gas and even Battery Acid will escape. If the plug is NOT present it WILL get into the battery well.

BTW, while you are there, open the black plastic covers on the Transfer Points and check to see if they are badly rusted/corroded.

George
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 02:42 PM   #31
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

B+ Transfer Points & Battery Vent Tube, 2007 328xi E91

Here's above hardware on my 3/2007 328xi E91

George
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 04:16 PM   #32
RDMNB
Enlisted Member
Rep

Another post coming in 10 mins with INPA screenshots of additional errors.

You were correct. I need the 90Ah.
You say get a conventional, does that mean NOT AGM?

My dad wants me to change the battery regardless.
So a new one is going in tomorrow if they have it.

I took pics of the cables going to the positive and negative cables. They all look good to me upon visual inspection. The small wire plugging into the BST seems a little loose but does not come out. I also found where the vent goes but it's missing I'll need to buy one.

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 06:13 PM   #33
RDMNB
Enlisted Member
Rep

Here are the INPA codes I ran today. It gave me 6 different codes.
(When I say page 2 it's because I needed a 2nd screenshot to record what was further below on the screen.)

Some error codes in the Functional jobs section, I was unable to go into the module error memory. So I have no screenshots of the error memory for these 2:
-MRS 93B2
-Tel/MULF A37B

Functional jobs error codes: page 1 and 2.

junction box passenger - error memory (A6CF)

Gateway mostcan ccc - error memory page 1 (E18C)

Gateway mostcan ccc - error memory page 2

FRM - error memory page 1 A8AE+A8AF

FRM - error memory page 2
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 12:49 AM   #34
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
[1] Here are the INPA codes I ran today. It gave me 6 different codes...
[2] Some error codes in the Functional jobs section, I was unable to go into the module error memory. So I have no screenshots of the error memory for these 2:
-MRS 93B2
-Tel/MULF A37B
[3] Functional jobs error codes: page 1 and 2.[4] junction box passenger - error memory (A6CF)[5] Gateway mostcan ccc - error memory page 1 (E18C)
[6] FRM - error memory page 1 A8AE+A8AF
1) Nice ScreenPrints, and Quick Study as far as getting the hang of INPA.
Several Suggestions:
A) I would suggest saving a ScreenPrint of the Module List for your vehicle, and referring to that for clues as to HOW to connect to each module. That list is INPA > Functional Jobs > F2 Identification. There should be nearly/ ~ 20 modules in your vehicle.

B) Check the Name & "SGBD" or Variant Code (4th Column) for the TWO Modules with which you were NOT able to connect. Try suggested steps below to connect to MRS5/ACSM, and also to TEL/MULF, and if you get ANY error message upon attempting to connect Save ScreenPrint of Error Message & post here. If you correctly interpret the Error Message, it should be telling you that the Module you have selected is NOT present, BUT, Module XXX is present. OR there may be something that needs to be added to your Right-hand Listbox to allow you to select the correct Module.

2. Try Connecting to ACSM (MRS) & Body/Telephone:
A) My BimmerGeeks Script Selection Box has TWO Right-Hand Listbox choices for MRS Module when you select "Body" in Left-hand Listbox:
1) "Airbag MRS5" which is correct for my 2007 E91 Wagon with MRS5 SGBD for "01 MRS"
2) "Airbag ACSM E93"; I've never used that, but it is PROBABLY correct for your E93

D) The "36 TEL/MULF" Module on my E91 has SGBD = "TELE60_3". I connect to that by selecting "Communication System" in Left-hand Listbox, and "Telephone" Right-hand Listbox (scroll Down ;-). Try that and again, do ScreenPrint of any error message & post here.

3) Yes, Functional Jobs > F4 Error Memory, ALL Modules quickly shows status of, & Fault Codes saved in, each Module, but you have to "Connect TO" each module with a Fault Code to get Definition & Details of any Code. So ON to the Details per Module. To translate the German Technical "Details", I use Google Translate. To the best of my knowledge BMW AG has NOT YET "demanded" that site be Closed :
https://translate.google.com/#view=h...te&sl=de&tl=en

4) JBE/JBBF AC6F: AUC Sensor = Sensor in Climate Control system (connected to JBE, Junction Box Electronics Module) which monitors pollutants in Outside Air, and switches "Recirculation Flap" to inside air momentarily if exhaust or other pollutants are detected. That Sensor is located on the Right side of the Lower Microfilter Housing, at the firewall. Check the Connector and associated wiring for disconnect, looseness or damage BEFORE replacing the Sensor. Photo attached to Next post.
Application of Google Translate to your ScreenPrint shows:
Fault A6CF was saved when Odometer read 112680 km = 70,016 miles
The Vehicle was then stationary (O km/h) & engine was running, voltage 14.48V
Implausible signal or Value received by JBE from AUC signal
The Fault is "Currently Present": Fehler Momentan Vorhanden; memorize that one as it is VERY important; "Nicht" before Vorhanden means NOT present.
Fault would NOT (Kein) cause a Warning Lamp to light (fehler wuerde kein aufleuchten einer warnlampe verursachen); that phrase, with/without "kein" tells you if that Fault Code causes a warning lamp to light.

5) E18C: MOST Gateway: Device has not accepted or confirmed the monitoring message = Device hat die Monitoringnachricht nicht abgenomnen oder bestaetigt
No Suitable Error Symptom = kein passendes fehlersymptom
Test Conditions Met = Testbedingungen erfüllt
Error NOT yet occurred = Fehler bisher nicht aufgetreten
Bus Hiccups @ 112,640 & 112,656 km?? I have NO Clue; apparently NO Symptoms

6) A8AE: Fog Light Left; A8AF: Fog Light Right
Nebelscheinwerfer Links = Left Fog Light
Nebelscheinwerfer Rechts = Right Fog Light
Fault is Currently Present on Left (Links) but NOT/NICHT on Right (Rechts)
I would visually confirm lighting of EACH front foglight and then test Left Bulb, 12V+ supply & ground. Same for right if fault returns.

Since "newtis.info" has "CLOSED", I would suggest completing download of ISTA+ (Rheingold) from MEGA site and installing that. If you didn't get the complete E89 Datens, Download that FIRST. We ALL need to learn how to use ISTA "Documents" (wiring diagrams, Installation Locations, Connector View, Repair Procedures, Torque specs, Pinouts, Functional Descriptions, etc., ALL of which were in newtis, and are easily found for a particular VIN/Model in ISTA. You can lookup ANY Document without being connected to the Web OR your vehicle. It's ALL on your computer HD.

If you will provide the Last-7 characters of your VIN, I'll lookup the Fog Lights circuit, bulb access, etc., and attach ScreenPrints to get you started.

Keep up the good work,
George
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 12:57 AM   #35
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

AUC Sensor Disconnected from Mounting Ring

Photo of AUC Sensor on 3/2007 Build Date 328xi E91
Top Microfilter Housing Removed
Sensor Disconnected from Mounting Ring

George
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 02:53 PM   #36
RDMNB
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
1)

"Airbag ACSM E93"; I've never used that, but it is PROBABLY correct for your E93

I had connected to that one and saved the error message. Forgot to include it. Screenprint on bottom.

ACSM93 aka 93b2 error

No suitable error symptom
test conditions met
Error does not exist at the moment, but already saved
failure would cause a warning lamp to come on
resistance too great

Sounds like i can erase it and forget about it.

D) The "36 TEL/MULF" Module on my E91 has SGBD = "TELE60_3". I connect to that by selecting "Communication System" in Left-hand Listbox, and "Telephone" Right-hand Listbox (scroll Down ;-). Try that and again, do ScreenPrint of any error message & post here.

I tried to connect to pretty much every module in that communication/radio section without luck. Will try again, paying more attention to error messages that pop up.

My laptop is also acting up since installing these BMW softwares so may not be today. My screen went black and my WIFI adapter has disappeared from my device manager.

Since "newtis.info" has "CLOSED", I would suggest completing download of ISTA+ (Rheingold) from MEGA site and installing that. If you didn't get the complete E89 Datens, Download that FIRST.

When i start to download E89 Datens, it stops after 1% and says will continue download in 6 hours. Is this site safe to pay for the $7 membership they want to complete the download? Last time I tried downloading, I kept going back every 6 hours so it would continue the free download. Eventually the page timed out and it was all for nothing. Nothing saved.

George
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 01:44 PM   #37
RDMNB
Enlisted Member
Rep

Neither fog light is working.
I removed my driver's side fog light (passenger side was too hard to get at) and was quite surprised it was attached to a square metal box. I did not see that in any online video or in the Bentley manual.

Here's what came out:

I had LOTS of water in this connector:

This connector was full of white powder:

I also do not get why there is a large rubber grommet/seal as that is in the middle of the wires and seals nothing.

Can I clean this white stuff out of the box and give it a try? Or are these signs that this box is bad and needs replacing?

Last edited by RDMNB; 10-11-2020 at 01:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 04:26 PM   #38
RDMNB
Enlisted Member
Rep

Okay from what I gather, I have aftermarket HID Xenon bulbs. Which were notorious for causing error codes on 2007 cars like mine. I'll do a separate post to see what options are out there now as both bulbs need replacing. Most posts I've found today are 6+ years old.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 05:31 PM   #39
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Your 93B2 Code in ACSM2 Module (MRS), Other Connections

My interpretation/English Translation that makes sense to me based upon my concept of the system:

Battery Safety Terminal (BST) Connector (Sicherheitsbatterieklemme), Resistance (Widerstand) too High (zu Gross), apparently resistance value is 2k ohms. So that is NOT totally open circuit (which would be resistance > 2k Ohms). Probably need to clean the contacts of any connector(s). As you state, the Fault is NOT currently present, and if fault were to recur (after clearing Fault Code), it WOULD light Warning Lamp(s) (AirBag & SeatBelt). So if connectors are clean, I would clear and await recurrence of Warning Lights/Code.

When you say "My screen went black & my WIFI has disappeared from Device Manager" that raises some questions. I just use a K+DCAN Cable and NOT a WIFI connection. Do you mean BOTH those things happened WHILE you were connected to the vehicle? If your BMW Standard Tools install were faulty I don't see how you could connect and get the screens you have attached here. There COULD be a fault in the settings related to your WIFI adapter, as used with whatever you have plugged into the OBD II Socket, that is causing communication between computer & OBD II Adapter to be lost. If you can provide more detail, perhaps someone on Forum has SAME OBD II adapter and can offer suggestions.

It has been about year since I downloaded E89 Datens File, & apparently MEGA has changed their interface since then. I'm in the process of attempting download of "4.51 GB" RAR (compressed) file and the interface suggests it is either Downloading or "Transferring"(?) file and it will take ~ 30 minutes. If I have any issues or learn any new tricks, I'll advise.

As far as the Fog Lights, I've never taken mine apart. If you will check to see if there is a BMW Part# on that aluminum case (either 7 or 11 characters), and also provide Last-7 of your VIN, I'll check to ID that part and also provide TIS wiring diagram & test suggestions. Do you have Xenon headlights?

George
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 01:50 PM   #40
RDMNB
Enlisted Member
Rep

PX46911

I finally finished downloading datuns. I just realised I only needed the e89 rar file

For the error codes that INPA said were not active right now, is there any difference in clearing them with INPA vs my OBD II?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 04:52 PM   #41
RDMNB
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yes, according to the vin decoder I have Xenon adaptive headlights.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 11:29 PM   #42
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
PX46911; I finally finished downloading datuns. I just realised I only needed the e89 rar file [Do you own stock in MAGA now? ] For the error codes that INPA said were not active right now, is there any difference in clearing them with INPA vs my OBD II?
Generally, I prefer INPA for reading & Clearing Codes. Although theoretically ANY Scan Tool or Software that can connect to the module where the code is saved can clear that code, INPA is more precise as to WHAT codes you are clearing, and you can immediately see what remains, if anything.

The MOST important thing is to save ALL the Fault Code Data BEFORE clearing the codes: Code Definition, Fault Details, Mileage, Freeze Frame Data, whether the code would cause warning light, etc. Even if you don't take the time to translate it, you've saved that data in a file you select, assuming you save the ScreenPrint(s) as jpg files for future reference if needed. I save ALL Fault Data in a separate Folder for that particular Module, with a FileLabel beginning with the date ScreenPrint created, such as 201013 saved in DME Folder for any ScreenPrints of DME Faults saved on October 13, 2020. So Windows Explorer automatically arranges the files in chron order.

Quote:
Yes, according to the vin decoder I have Xenon adaptive headlights.
I'm a bit confused. I thought the FRM Fault codes were Fog Light Bulb Fail Codes, but the components you showed in photos appeared to be related to Xenon Headlights (just my SWAG, as I have the base Halogen bulb units). I'm NOT sure what issues you were having with either Fog lights or Headlights.

If you have issues or questions with Xenon Headlights, can you find a BMW Part#, OR a Manufacturer Name/ID on the "square" aluminum housing shown in photo. It appears to be the control unit for Adaptive Headlight Control.

George
Appreciate 1
RDMNB3.50
      10-13-2020, 08:29 AM   #43
RDMNB
Enlisted Member
Rep

Sorry just to clarify that bulb was in my fog light housing.
I was removing my fog light to see which one I needed, H8 or H11.

I was surprised by the bulb had never seen one like that before. Google told me it's a HID Xenon. Which I didn't think these had in the fog light area, so assuming it's maybe an aftermarket swap as I've read some people did on the forums here.

The part # stamped into the square metallic box is 2011.
Could this box be connected to both the fog lights AND headlights?

If it's impossible this is stock, and all I need is the OEM fog light, I'm okay with that.

E89 Datens: just to clarify, what do I do with this?
1st I got the BMW scan tools installed and used it. Now downloaded E89 Datens. You say to install that before rheingold. Install what? In the E89 folder I do not see an install file.

I've read others say that the E89 file is already in the NCS expert daten folder. I checked and it is in fact there. All 434 files (or whatever amount it was lol).

If there is nothing else to install, can I now download rheingold?

And btw for the 90ah battery I installed which matches the 90Ah the system says it came with, do I need to code/register it? If so tell me which one and I'll follow the instructions. Thank for the continued help. :-)
Appreciate 0