E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 535i tuning help!!!

07-22-2009, 05:03 PM   #23
cu_north
Seasoned Lurker
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i Black/Black

I think you'll find getting in to the ECU to be fairly easy. It gets much easier after you've done it once.

If you are considering a more powerful tune, the JB3 is the way to go in your case because BMS offers an upgrade credit when you move from JB+ to JB3. Secondly, the Procede is more adjustable but you may want to keep it simple in this case.

Good luck and have fun (safely)!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 05:07 PM   #24
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
I am not 18 douchebag... People do not think I am a spoiled brat since I am 31 and drive a 3 series...

An 18 year old driving a 5 series however draws a lot of negative stereotypes such as being spoled brats or driving daddy's car.. In this case the stereotypes are correct... The OP IS a spoiled brat who got a $60K car just for getting into college, something you should do for your own good anyway...

So yeah in his case, it would be nice to avoid the stereotypes by driving a lesser car, the 135 and not sacrificing performance or that BMW feel.
Not sure why you would think OP to be a brat. He's been pretty cordial so far and he didn't just get into college. He got a SCHOLARSHIP, which in turn probably saved his parents at least a new 5 series (assuming his parents were going to pay for his schooling).

I definitely wasn't so fortunate as to get a 535 for college, but I'm getting kind of tired of these kids getting flamed just for having a nice car at a young age. If you need to blame anyone, blame the parents for getting him the car.

His dad probably wanted an excuse to upgrade to another car and rewarding his kid for getting a scholarship works; whatever the reason, if he's smart with his ride, more power to him. I also don't believe you should need to downgrade just to appease other people. Who cares what others think; those who speak behind your back are most likely just less fortunate than you. Life isn't fair and you're not going to appease everyone. Drive your 5 series, get laid, party, be responsible and enjoy college.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 05:18 PM   #25
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
+1. I was in the same boat when I first got my car. Just take some time to read up on all the options, what they will do to your car (good and bad), and how to install them properly if you plan on DIY.

and to answer your question, I believe the JB+ can add around 40hp. Like many on here, though, once you get a taste of more power, you'll want more.
I'm pretty much was/am in a similar boat. Just started reading up on N54 tuning for a couple of weeks. Comparing JB3 and PROcede is like comparing green and red apples. There really won't be that much a difference if you're not going to race. From what I've read, I recommend the PROcede if you can afford it(seems a bit cleaner setup than JB3), but again, I'm could be more noob about this than you.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 06:23 PM   #26
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

The flaming of the young kids with powrful new Bimmers that goes on here has probably saved a few lives and tought a few kids something about life...

a) It does not encourage these kids to brag about their rides and get into a dick measuring contest on pubic roads
b) It teaches these kids "hey maybe I should be thankful to my parents and not show off my new ride and not be such a douchebag
c) If nothing else, it gives them a dose of what people are thinking behind their backs every day everywhere they go... At least we say it like it is on here to their faces...

Therefore, I actually believe that flaming these spoiled kids does more good than bad and indirectly lowers the number of Bimmers wrapped around trees and kids in hospitals or six feet under
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 06:33 PM   #27
1Sleeper
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31

Just what we need, more people deciding whats best for everyone else. Harbor a little tiny bit of resentment? Lots of kids around me that drive really nice cars and on balance I would say they are a pretty decent bunch. Do they have wealthy parents? Why yes they do. And? I guess if all kids that get nice cars are spoiled rich kids, I guess we could say that all people that have issues with said kids are poor zeros? OP I have a 535 too (and a 335), you can learn a lot by reading a lot of the threads under this one. Most of the tuners post here too, so you can ask them all the questions you need. GL
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 06:33 PM   #28
bimmer_335
Major
Rep
Drives: 540 mSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by **********s II View Post
535i is an awesome car, drive safe and have fun with it!

Wish I would have had a hand down like that when I was 18
hahaha my first ride was a stanza that broke down twice within first month of the ownership!!!! Just get used to what it is first... I've come across teen horror stories recently ... so pls be safe with your ride. I personally cant imagine driving a 300hp car when i was 18.... lol... I wasnt responsible enought... but I guess if you got a paid scholorship to college you've earned the right to drive it.... good luck and be safe!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 06:57 PM   #29
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
The flaming of the young kids with powrful new Bimmers that goes on here has probably saved a few lives and tought a few kids something about life...

a) It does not encourage these kids to brag about their rides and get into a dick measuring contest on pubic roads
b) It teaches these kids "hey maybe I should be thankful to my parents and not show off my new ride and not be such a douchebag
c) If nothing else, it gives them a dose of what people are thinking behind their backs every day everywhere they go... At least we say it like it is on here to their faces...

Therefore, I actually believe that flaming these spoiled kids does more good than bad and indirectly lowers the number of Bimmers wrapped around trees and kids in hospitals or six feet under
I guess I agree on the most part, but I believe in giving him the benefit of the doubt until he does something stupid. In high school, I knew lots of friends who had bmw/lexus/audi etc. Not all of them were douches. I do believe most teens need to be set straight though; most lack self control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer_335 View Post
hahaha my first ride was a stanza that broke down twice within first month of the ownership!!!! Just get used to what it is first... I've come across teen horror stories recently ... so pls be safe with your ride. I personally cant imagine driving a 300hp car when i was 18.... lol... I wasnt responsible enought... but I guess if you got a paid scholorship to college you've earned the right to drive it.... good luck and be safe!!!
My first car was a 93 Maxima and I totaled that car probably within 6-12 months of having it. To my defense, it wasn't 100% my fault, the guy I crashed into was driving a lot faster than necessary on a local road. Now that I think about it, it was nearly as much his fault as mine, though I'll admit it was still more my fault. Point was, it didn't take a 50K car to get in an accident.

It is scaring hearing all these horror stories though. I think on another bmw forum, I saw a story about some 18 year old who looked to have crashed his AW E92 M3 onto the side of someone's house, then ran away.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 07:35 PM   #30
Spydeputy
Brigadier General
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 F23 M235i/2008,E90,335xi

Garage List
somebody please get this RAMOS off of here. why are you so angry and judgmental. this is not what our forum is about. or the ligament question the OP is asking about. this young man has asked for help and advise f/ this forum. there is no pecking order of when and what car you get. and to judge that he is spoiled and rotten shows me you do not deserve the respect that others are still showing in their responses. most of all, the disrespect you have shown the OP. advise given in a "fatherly way" will most likely have more of a positive effect. i only wish i had the expertise the others here have and can help w/ the question.

please continue everyone. (except RAMOS) unless respect is shown.

Last edited by Spydeputy; 07-22-2009 at 07:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 10:47 PM   #31
DEL451
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX

I have 535i for a couple years now and have had Procede from get go. There's a few of us 535'ers here on the board. I haven't upgraded to newer Procede CANBUS version and just updated firmware and maps as they've been released. Will give you power a plenty. The install is straight forward and only issue I had was with battery drain (since fixed by Shiv) and breaking off the power connector spade.

The issue with either Procede or JB to be concerned about is dealer and warranty. So far I haven't had a problem with this as only an oil change so far and dealer hasn't had to pop the ECU cover open. So if you're already past warranty miles / period, no issues. But if not, then something to think about your level of risk taking with the dealer and your car warranty.

Would suggest you do hardwire a Valentine radar. Also look at installing a Laser Interceptor laser jammer. Both has saved me some tickets as it's hard not to enjoy driving punching it at the light or going for a 100+ cruise.

Oh if you live in the Northern states like I do - swapping for winter wheels and tires makes a big difference.

Thank Dad and enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 12:51 PM   #32
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydeputy View Post
somebody please get this RAMOS off of here. why are you so angry and judgmental. this is not what our forum is about. or the ligament question the OP is asking about. this young man has asked for help and advise f/ this forum. there is no pecking order of when and what car you get. and to judge that he is spoiled and rotten shows me you do not deserve the respect that others are still showing in their responses. most of all, the disrespect you have shown the OP. advise given in a "fatherly way" will most likely have more of a positive effect. i only wish i had the expertise the others here have and can help w/ the question.

please continue everyone. (except RAMOS) unless respect is shown.

Man, I am neither angry or judmental... All I said was that a 135 is better suited for an 18 year old that a 535... And that in my opinion the flaming that goes on around here against young spoiled kids driving Bimmers is not all bad.. since maybe just maybe it could get them to slow down and save a life...

Anyway, sorry if that offends you
I'm out
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 01:16 PM   #33
Psylight
Brigadier General
Mexico
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E92 M 6MT

Here we go again, more hate on young BMW owners. Like Kroy said, give the kid the benefit of teh doubt, for now anyway.
      07-23-2009, 01:24 PM   #34
RipsE92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Wake up people!! This guy is a troll .... one post almost 20 days ago.

Your brains have been on stand-by way too long!

The Internet .... what a wonderful place.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 02:34 PM   #35
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep

HAhahahhaaaa... Too funny... Maybe the 535 is already wrapped around a tree
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 06:55 PM   #36
quickfast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: quickfast

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=124526

Just for reference. Drive safe.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 07:03 PM   #37
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Sad story, I can only imagine how the dad feels after letting his son take the M5...
All BS aside, while hating on young kids with money is useless and childish, we should not be encouraging young kids to add even more performance and speed to their already powerful cars.. Instead we should as a community encourage these kids to be responsible by:

Not drinking and driving
Not spending money on speed mods before they have bettered their driving skills
Attend a couple of High performance driving schools

I am sure the parents who can afford to give their kids a $50K + car, would welcome paying for driving schools for their kids to learn to control the cars...

Unfortunately, there is no replacing experience and wisedom when it comes to these accidents
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #38
gwizzzzz
Registered
Rep
Drives: N/A

I forgot about this post. I agree, though- TMI for one post. Who cares how old I am? But haters gonna hate. Car is still good haha. Thanks for the support
Appreciate 0