E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > 135i 'Stage One' Modifications complete w/pics!!

12-09-2009, 10:23 AM   #23
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR Black Edition

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Thing View Post
Nice Pictues and some tasteful mods Just found a Vid of one of these and was quite supprised that it not only beat my Evo in a Drag race but thrashed it
http://www.bmwblog.com/2009/05/14/vi...mw-135i-coupe/
Good vid, killed the Evo! The 135i is such a nippy little facker. What a car!

My only gripe is why did they make it look the way it looks

This project will be scary once done Matt. I'll expect you'll take it to the POD and have it "tested" thoroughly.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 10:24 AM   #24
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Mate.

Really hate the wood trim. hate it. Loathe it even.

Sorry

Car otherwise looks stunning.

Nice snaps too. Props to the photographer.
      12-09-2009, 10:34 AM   #25
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
It always was going to muller the EVO. 290HP Evo will only make 220HP at the wheels. The 135 250-260 at the wheels. The guy couldnt launch 4WD to save his fucking life. Had he launched it like it should Be, then it would have done the 135i to 60mph. After that the 135 would pull away quite quickly.

I had a rolling start race with a Evo 10 FQ330 and pulled 4car lengths to 115.
      12-09-2009, 10:45 AM   #26
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Right, well lets knock the fucking race banter on the head until the car is at 450bhp and then I will allow it back in lol

As for questions... Dechrome, the job cost £172.00 including VAT and the job is good. I will happily reply who did it via PM, as the price wasn't great and no discount was offerred despite the fact I mentioned others might follow etc

Clutch feel... its hard to say what effect it would have had on its own, because I had it done at the same time as the SSK. However, it's fair to say that part of what I tried to describe about confidence in a quick change during cornering comes from the now no longer spongy clutch.... I push it down, I change gear, it comes back up. Previously I felt I had to 'edge' the clutch back up to some extent in order to get a smooth or progressive change without lurch or a more violent change (which in corners would have unsettled the car - thats what I was getting at earlier)

Wood... it WILL be going, but for now I am merely assuring people its more livable than one might think.

Stage One, Stage Two etc... This is my idea of a bit of a joke really. Tuners who divide things into stages appear to be kidding the lot of us, including themselves... Its a totally artificial divide which is unique to them and them alone...

For example, what Birds say is Stage 1 would not be the same as what Evolve might.... Even if they BOTH said it was a remap, if one were to take those two things at face value, well you would pay MORE for LESS power if you bought Birds (hartge) over Evolve.... but because noone has actually stated what constitutes Stage One, its all bollocks anyway and its not as simple as that - Despite the fact that I believe the Evolve map is much better, I doubt even Imran would say that Evolve are more reputable than Birds are - so how is it an even comparison? If its not an even comparison, then how can both be called Stage One?

In my case, Stage One is adressing immediate concerns and making the most of the fact I now drive a manual car.

Stage Two is making the most of the cars potential.

Stage Three is building an absolute weapon.

Stage Four will be the finishing touches to suspension, styling etc.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 11:02 AM   #27
MB London
Come as you are
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 SSll

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
Right, well lets knock the fucking race banter on the head until the car is at 450bhp and then I will allow it back in lol

As for questions... Dechrome, the job cost £172.00 including VAT and the job is good. I will happily reply who did it via PM, as the price wasn't great and no discount was offerred despite the fact I mentioned others might follow etc

Clutch feel... its hard to say what effect it would have had on its own, because I had it done at the same time as the SSK. However, it's fair to say that part of what I tried to describe about confidence in a quick change during cornering comes from the now no longer spongy clutch.... I push it down, I change gear, it comes back up. Previously I felt I had to 'edge' the clutch back up to some extent in order to get a smooth or progressive change without lurch or a more violent change (which in corners would have unsettled the car - thats what I was getting at earlier)

Wood... it WILL be going, but for now I am merely assuring people its more livable than one might think.

Stage One, Stage Two etc... This is my idea of a bit of a joke really. Tuners who divide things into stages appear to be kidding the lot of us, including themselves... Its a totally artificial divide which is unique to them and them alone...

For example, what Birds say is Stage 1 would not be the same as what Evolve might.... Even if they BOTH said it was a remap, if one were to take those two things at face value, well you would pay MORE for LESS power if you bought Birds (hartge) over Evolve.... but because noone has actually stated what constitutes Stage One, its all bollocks anyway and its not as simple as that - Despite the fact that I believe the Evolve map is much better, I doubt even Imran would say that Evolve are more reputable than Birds are - so how is it an even comparison? If its not an even comparison, then how can both be called Stage One?

In my case, Stage One is adressing immediate concerns and making the most of the fact I now drive a manual car.

Stage Two is making the most of the cars potential.

Stage Three is building an absolute weapon.

Stage Four will be the finishing touches to suspension, styling etc.

Matt
Do you mind me asking why you are tuning an already very fast car to within an inch of its life. ?

I am starting to get my head around a map (will probably get one myself), but what’s with the ‘absolute weapon’ thing

MB
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 11:20 AM   #28
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Well, bearing in mind we are still at 'Stage One' in the fictional tree of bullshit that I have categorised here!

I didnt make a lot of a point about 'Stage Two' but it will be a standard remap and an LSD along with some other minor bits...

If thats sufficiently powerful and the LSD handles it well, there wont be any need for Stage Three.... but, well... one could argue that to be honest, if I have got 390bhp from a remap, adding some breathing parts and pushing to just over 420 bhp isn't REALLY going to make much difference to the actual power output, but it might take some stress off bits and make the power delivery smoother and more linear, which could in turn actually be safer than running just a remap.

By stating 'Absolute Weapon' I am in fact only really satisfying my own need to justify the money I might have to spend at that stage - in truth, I want a car thats really driveable more so than I want one which wins prizes for being the most powerful, but ultimately pointless car out there!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 11:41 AM   #29
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR Black Edition

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB London View Post
Do you mind me asking why you are tuning an already very fast car to within an inch of its life. ?
Quote:
Because I'm a RaginKileak
Edited.

You're a facking mental case

Good luck with the future endeavours.

Look forward to the quickest 135i around.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 12:21 PM   #30
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Is stage five deciding what car to replace it with when you're bored with it?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 01:19 PM   #31
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
Is stage five deciding what car to replace it with when you're bored with it?
Yeah!

Actually the best thing about my system is that any stage could result in a change of car!!!

Hehe!!

Also - Cheers Sunny, your ceaseless encouragement has always been welcome considering that forums are so often full of haters!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 10:53 AM   #32
zedman
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M Sport 320D,

Quote:

For £600 with tyres? Bargain. EVO can pay whatever they like - mamma didn't raise no fool.
A. Lovely Car - reminds me a lot of the E30 shape

B. How do you get them wheels and tyres so cheap?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 10:59 AM   #33
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
s and make the power delivery smoother and more linear, which could in turn actually be safer than running just a remap.

Matt
Although I understand why you might want to increase the power output and good luck to you Matt

But you couldn't possible make the power delivery smoother and more linear than the original map, BMW have really got it spot on for a turbo charge motor.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 10:59 AM   #34
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedman View Post
A. Lovely Car - reminds me a lot of the E30 shape

B. How do you get them wheels and tyres so cheap?
Thanks buddy!

Second hand mate.

Wheels had done 2000 miles according to previous owner!

If the tyres had only been on for 2000 miles, then he must have spent all 2000 of them in one giant donut - but that's by the by!

The rears are shagged, but legal at about 4-5mm whilst the fronts have a good 6mm.

The wheels are MINT and unkerbed. I paid £640 delivered!

Anyway, I am told without tyres and for brand new wheels, no more than £800 is the going rate...

There is a thread on www.babybmw.com all about it.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 11:01 AM   #35
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
Although I understand why you might want to increase the power output and good luck to you Matt

But you couldn't possible make the power delivery smoother and more linear than the original map, BMW have really got it spot on for a turbo charge motor.
Your right, it is a cracker!

I meant, to modify the hardware after the map - because the map might make it a bit spikier than standard!

Does that make more sense?

Matt
Appreciate 0