E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > What do I do with my life?

03-22-2010, 01:12 AM   #23
E90 87ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: !

haha, yeah, my mom always wanted me to be a doctor. My high school chem/bio teacher made her classes so difficult that it weeded out kids who couldn't make it into med or related fields. She basically had 7-10 kids in her AP classes the following year compared to 30 in her honors classes the previous year. Needless to say I was one of students who didn't want anything to do with it. That's not to say that those who couldn't handle it were dumb, only a 100 students in my graduating class and over 10 million in combined scholarships. Colgate, Harvard, Yale, Nova, NYU, Columbia, Lehigh, MIT, Duke, Notre Dame, Dartmouth,Wharton/U Penn, Bucknell, West Point, Drexel, Delaware, John Hopkins, TCNJ, U Miami, GWU just to name a few of the colleges that accepted us... Anyways point being don't go into med unless you already killing it in chem and bio.

What you do to earn a living should depend on your innate abilities. If you aren't good at anything then do something you are passionate about. If you aren't passionate about anything...
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 01:18 AM   #24
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Its actually illegal to take pictures in the lab. Theres more cameras in there than in prison.

I wouldn't exactly say a high school class is going to weed out who is going to make it into the medical field or not.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 01:21 AM   #25
WishBone33
First Lieutenant
Japan
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuto View Post
I had a similar situation as you. I have well above average intelligence, but just never liked school. I wanted to learn what I wanted to learn when I wanted. This didn't fit the pattern of conformity well. Ask anyone who knows me and they will agree I am one of the more intelligent, more learned, and best read people they know. I never finished college. I AM NOT RECOMMENDING THIS. That is my disclaimer. But I managed to find a line of work where without a college degree I can excel and have no ceiling to my income. As for what you do, I can't begin to suggest anything. I am kind of a fluke when it comes to my situation, but nevertheless have made it work. Do something you can wake up every day and not mind going to work. If you love what you do you will try harder to excel and anything is possible.
Your exactly like me. All through middle school and high school i earned all A's and was put on the honor roll all the time. My parents, friend's parents, and teachers all had high expectations of me. Then high school came around, I got all A's again freshman and sophomore year then I started to slack off in junior and senior year, don't get me wrong, i still did alright A's and B's. Then i got into college and started to take my time and not be in a rush to finish in 4 years. Now my friends have graduated or joined the military and I'm still the one in college and can't find anything I like. I like to work, I've been working at my job 7 days/week for the past few months and I don't mind at all but there's no room for growth in a restaurant so I need to find a real job and major that interests me. I like computers but I hate doing school work. That's the only thing thats kept me from actually graduating already. So anyways......... enough with my rambling.

What exactly do you do, Peanuto?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 01:46 AM   #26
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep

I'm on a boat, bitch.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 01:52 AM   #27
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark335i View Post
i thought you were in a cadaver lab?
I was. But now I'm having a diesel allergic reaction to something or another that I got on me in the lab and my arms are covered in hives and my throats swollen. So now I'm on a boat.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 01:58 AM   #28
ghosthi32
Banned
Rep
Drives: Water camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
I was. But now I'm having a diesel allergic reaction to something or another that I got on me in the lab and my arms are covered in hives and my throats swollen. So now I'm on a boat.
BA
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 02:01 AM   #29
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthi32 View Post
BA
Double BAH! I popped a whole bunch of benadryl and covered my arms in cordizone. I shall sleep well tonight.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 02:10 AM   #30
ghosthi32
Banned
Rep
Drives: Water camel

Quote:
Double BAH! I popped a whole bunch of benadryl and covered my arms in cordizone. I shall sleep well tonight.
good luck
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 02:10 AM   #31
WishBone33
First Lieutenant
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark335i View Post
if you like computers, maybe think about a computer repair business or even a software company. my friends dad is an immigrant who came from a poor family (barely had money to eat) and he is now a multi-millionaire (with a famous $50 mill house and a famous $30 mill vacation house/ranch ). not saying it'll happen to you but if you do something you love, chances are that you'll be more productive/inclined to do better.
I thought about going that route like opening a business but need money to open a business.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 02:35 AM   #32
WishBone33
First Lieutenant
Japan
Rep

i play poker but that's little money. nothin enough to start a business with.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 02:45 AM   #33
WishBone33
First Lieutenant
Japan
Rep

nice try homie
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 02:50 AM   #34
HighBeam$
Rep
Drives: Not an m3 yet :[

i've got it! ill learn to count cards. rainman could do it and he was a ruhtard.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 02:52 AM   #35
WishBone33
First Lieutenant
Japan
Rep

why dont u just learn to cook up some coke
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 07:48 AM   #36
J-9
Converting 93 octane to noise.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335R1 View Post
What ever you do, don't take advice from that persian kid. Everyone here will tell you the same.

It's normal for college students to change their major. I did it. Went in as a business major, got bored, changed it to political science, didn't really intrigued me. So joined the Armyas an infantryman. Best thing I ever did in life. Gave me direction, discipline, real world experience, great leadership and management abilities. Opened up my eyes to things everyday Americans see and read about. Saw the world two times over, exposed to the worst kind of living and human conditions anyone could ever come across. Saw man for what he can be and nature for what she can do. Seen everything. Seen it all. Got the tshirt and hat. Achieved higher ranks pretty fast because I was driven. Left 6 months short of making Sargeatn First Class. Fast forward 10 years from the time I initialy started college and now I'm graduating in May with a degree in Justice and Law Adminstration. In short, I'm prelaw. Love it. Love the legal system and the US Constitution. Didn't really appreciate it until I had the responsibility to uphold it. I would love to go to law school next semester, but at 29, I really need to start a career. I'm going through the phases for the bureau right now. Once I get in and situated, I'll start law school. My advice, is find what drives you. Do what you need to do and go where you need to get it done to find that inspiration to motivate you. You're young, enjoy, listen and learn.
+1, enlist for a few years. I guarantee it is a resume enhancement and you'll get the direction you want. After a couple of deployments, you'll have a lot of world travel under your belt. It's a great way to pay your dues and figure out what you'd like to do.

Then you can return to college with the GI Bill.
      03-22-2010, 10:57 AM   #37
klipseracer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i, 05 E46 330i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuto View Post
I had a similar situation as you. I have well above average intelligence, but just never liked school. I wanted to learn what I wanted to learn when I wanted. This didn't fit the pattern of conformity well. Ask anyone who knows me and they will agree I am one of the more intelligent, more learned, and best read people they know. I never finished college. I AM NOT RECOMMENDING THIS. That is my disclaimer. But I managed to find a line of work where without a college degree I can excel and have no ceiling to my income. As for what you do, I can't begin to suggest anything. I am kind of a fluke when it comes to my situation, but nevertheless have made it work. Do something you can wake up every day and not mind going to work. If you love what you do you will try harder to excel and anything is possible.
Thats one of two things. Sales or selling drugs. I've done the former for several years. I also am someone who is told, 'Oh you should do this, or you should do that because your a natural etc". But I never finished college either. I made six figures easily last year. I turned 25 in January.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 03:11 PM   #38
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

I am a UCSD grad that came out of the CC programs. The opportunity cost of getting your MD does not work out. Look at it this way, if you are going to get into a specialty you will probably not start practicing until 35. Meanwhile you will spend $200K+ in tuition etc. On the other hand you could enter the workforce with an Undergrad degree at 24 and probably average $100K over the 11 years. You end up with a differential of $1.3M on top of the fact that MD wages are dropping significantly (an MD with Kaiser Permanente makes approximately $250K per year without subtracting malpractice insurance) and will probably continue to drop with Healthcare Reform.

You are much better off doing something that you enjoy. Be aware that the UC's do not offer a business degree, only economics which is essentially an applied mathematics degree. Also, do not plan on using anything you actually learn is college. Most employers are only looking that you have a degree in ANYTHING as background information. Your degree will probably only matter for your first job. After that it comes down to work experience.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 06:07 PM   #39
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
I am a UCSD grad that came out of the CC programs. The opportunity cost of getting your MD does not work out. Look at it this way, if you are going to get into a specialty you will probably not start practicing until 35. Meanwhile you will spend $200K+ in tuition etc. On the other hand you could enter the workforce with an Undergrad degree at 24 and probably average $100K over the 11 years. You end up with a differential of $1.3M on top of the fact that MD wages are dropping significantly (an MD with Kaiser Permanente makes approximately $250K per year without subtracting malpractice insurance) and will probably continue to drop with Healthcare Reform.

You are much better off doing something that you enjoy. Be aware that the UC's do not offer a business degree, only economics which is essentially an applied mathematics degree. Also, do not plan on using anything you actually learn is college. Most employers are only looking that you have a degree in ANYTHING as background information. Your degree will probably only matter for your first job. After that it comes down to work experience.
...? Very few people walking out of 4 year schools are averaging $100k a year. Being doctor is still a financial win, despite the cost of school. Just because you're a doctor doesn't mean your going to make money though. There are plenty of successful doctors with private practices making millions a year. There are amazingly smart doctors with shitty practices barely paying the bills. Theres also everything in between.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 06:33 PM   #40
dth656
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Quote:
...? Very few people walking out of 4 year schools are averaging $100k a year. Being doctor is still a financial win, despite the cost of school. Just because you're a doctor doesn't mean your going to make money though. There are plenty of successful doctors with private practices making millions a year. There are amazingly smart doctors with shitty practices barely paying the bills. Theres also everything in between.
if you want to maximize income immediately out of undergrad, then ibanking (or some kind of research, sales and trading gig) is the way to go. not for the faint of heart tho...
      03-22-2010, 06:50 PM   #41
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep

True. But you lose security. Just because you rock this week doesn't mean you wont be on the streets next week. You need to be cut out and great at it to be successful.

You can always just get a business degree and become a mindless robot, have some decent job security, and get paid OK.
Appreciate 0