E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > n54 IS THE DINAN INTERCOOLER WORTH IT?

03-08-2012, 10:58 PM   #23
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

All hail the $1 of sheet metal.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 12:03 AM   #24
Surquhar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
I wouldnt pay the $$ for the Dinan IC, but I have have the Dinan CAI. The performance is great and looks fantastic. Money well spent for me.
      03-09-2012, 05:08 AM   #25
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

I am still waiting for a constructive explanation why Dinan is not worth it other than the price.

All the negative rhetoric posted displays nothing but pure ignorance and bias.

Seems like the only logical thing they understand is price. If the damn IC cost $50 then it would be considered the best IC.

All IC is NOT THE SAME. They differ on specs, quality and engineering in which many are so damn stubbornly blind especially when it comes down to the heat exchange engineering.

When someone is ready to post facts, other than price, why the Dinan FMIC is not worth it, then the bias posts will be regarded as another way of saying your BMW is not worth It......
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 05:50 AM   #26
Deadwrong
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

The cost of the Dinan IC is a good enough reason (for most) to say it isn't worth the money...For this reason, I say the onus is on those who are attempting to justify the cost to prove that the Dinan IC performs at a higher level than the other IC's available...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 08:05 AM   #27
jzchen
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90

FWIW- A non-Dinan dealer CPOd my car with the Dinan intercooler in it. They just asked who installed it, and checked it out a little. I'm really not sure if they'd do it with any other. Removing and installing an intercooler over warranty concerns is, well, not convenient... If you can't do it yourself, that's a decent chunk in change for labor...

I don't have a Dinan tune, got the oil cooler and intercooler, so I can't compare to others with regards to power...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 08:11 AM   #28
E90SoFlo
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
I am still waiting for a constructive explanation why Dinan is not worth it other than the price.

Seems like the only logical thing they understand is price. If the damn IC cost $50 then it would be considered the best IC.

All IC is NOT THE SAME. They differ on specs, quality and engineering in which many are so damn stubbornly blind especially when it comes down to the heat exchange engineering.

When someone is ready to post facts, other than price, why the Dinan FMIC is not worth it, then the bias posts will be regarded as another way of saying your BMW is not worth It......
Because the other "top" units are still half the price. That makes the Dinan unit not worth it.

just like all other Dinan products.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 08:24 AM   #29
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
OP - don't bother with an intercooler to start with - that's for later when you get to the point where you need the additional capacity for a more agressive tune. That said, my choice was the ETS (Extreme Turbo Systems) 5", which is far more efficient than the stock unit and needs no trimming behind the bumper to fit.

The Dinan stuff is all overpriced, but they're the only ones offering a warranty for people with newer cars. Consequently, their tunes are less agressive but stay within reasonable parameters to limit the possibility of damage. If you don't care about the warranty or feel like deceiving the dealership and spending time bolting and unbolting components every time you need to go in for normal service, the other tuners' parts are fine. Dinan also makes brakes and suspension parts of very high, track/race-tested quality if you ever go that route.

And finally, there is a section on this forum for fellow posters selling used and sometimes new and unused parts - engine/drivetrain, wheels, suspension, cosmetics and lighting, etc. I've purchased a few things for my car that way and saved a lot of money.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 08:32 AM   #30
Dr_Dirt
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i 6AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
OP - don't bother with an intercooler to start with - that's for later when you get to the point where you need the additional capacity for a more agressive tune. That said, my choice was the ETS (Extreme Turbo Systems) 5", which is far more efficient than the stock unit and needs no trimming behind the bumper to fit.

The Dinan stuff is all overpriced, but they're the only ones offering a warranty for people with newer cars. Consequently, their tunes are less agressive but stay within reasonable parameters to limit the possibility of damage. If you don't care about the warranty or feel like deceiving the dealership and spending time bolting and unbolting components every time you need to go in for normal service, the other tuners' parts are fine. Dinan also makes brakes and suspension parts of very high, track/race-tested quality if you ever go that route.

And finally, there is a section on this forum for fellow posters selling used and sometimes new and unused parts - engine/drivetrain, wheels, suspension, cosmetics and lighting, etc. I've purchased a few things for my car that way and saved a lot of money.
I picked up 18whp with the ETS 5" IC using the COBB 3.01 stage 1 aggressive tune. The gain is across a wide band of rpms as well. The gain was also made at lower boost.
My Mods are ETS 5" IC, K&N Drop in filter, and the COBB tune

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #31
skatenc123
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc 22349a View Post
No one has mentioned the shroud that surrounds the face of the Dinan fmic. It directs on coming air through the fmic as opposed to letting air escape around it. Pretty cool design. Does any other fmic (ER?) have a frontal shroud? I know my ETS fmic doesn't.

The Active Autowerke Fmic does. Heres my stock vs my AA FMIC

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 10:12 AM   #32
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Quote:
So would the Spearco IC be worth it ?
People will have to evaluate how much the insurance policy is worth to them but based on this test no.

Some FMIC test results posted by dzenno on the other site.

Helix v1 FMIC datalog, 8F rise over 2-3-4 pull at 14psi:

AMS FMIC datalog, 22F rise over 2-3-4 pull at 14psi:

Sparco FMIC datalog, 25F rise over 2-3-4 pull at 14psi:

On the other side the data logs that these results come from are also posted as well as a number of other FMIC's. Used this one because the format was the same for all three.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 11:15 AM   #33
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
Rep
Drives: 11 ZCP DCT M3 14 328d 21 GT4

Garage List
Quote:

And we're still waiting for you to post a NON-BIASED Dinan response.

The Helix IC is stepped and very similar to the Dinan for less than HALF the price. Are you telling me the Dinan is TWICE as good as the Helix? The Dinan IC will improve performance, but the price is absurd. That is clearly the point here. The only person that would buy a Dinan IC is someone that wants to say they have ALL Dinan parts (because that means something to them ) or because of the warranty issue. The rest of the 99% would never buy a Dinan IC to mix in with various other engine mods. Case in point, there's a BNIB Dinan IC in the Turbo Parts FS Forum that will never sell because NO ONE will pony up anywhere near what the poor guy originall paid for it.

If you show up at the dealer with a warranty issue and you have a ETS, CP-e or AMS intercooler, they're really not going to bust your ballz about it because it does not negatively affect any parts. Yes, tunes, DPs and other engine mods can. We know this. FMICs don't really stress anything.

Last edited by bigdaddycane; 03-09-2012 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: spelling botches
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 11:27 AM   #34
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

unfortunately, customers in all industries can be group into 3 categories:

1. cheap customers who don't want to pay for good Quality Assurance (Design) and Quality Control (proper testing).
2. customers who only want to pay for good Quality Assurance (Design), but not Quality Control (skim on testing).
3. customers who want to pay for good Quality Assurance (Design) and Quality Control (proper testing).

a vast majority of customers belong to #1 (fact: there are more cost conscious people than rich people in this world).

I work in an industry (non auto) where I would personally avoid those belong to group #1, very careful with #2, and prefer to work with those in #3.

Quote:

03-09-2012, 11:48 AM   #35
runz12s
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

I know if dinan was priced a few hundred cheaper it would fly off the shelf, s$@t i would have bought it
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 11:51 AM   #36
TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management
Major
TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management's Avatar
Rep
Drives: 2012 Abarth 500

Quote:

Here's some data taken from end user datalogs that show the pecking order of some of the fmics, as you can see the spearo/dinan didn't fair too well in fact as far as efficiency goes its nowhere near as good as the other aftermarket choices. But hey it's Dinan!

HELIX-Intercooler Efficiency 86% through 3 gears
Turbo Outlet Temp Calculator
inlet temperature-85
input pressure-14.5
output pressure-14
compressor efficiency-70%
Outlet Temp- 249

Intercooler Outlet Temperature and Pressure Calculator
IC input Temperature-249
IC Pressure loss-.5
Ambient Temp-85
Plenum Temp-108
IC Efficiency-86%

ETS-Intercooler Efficiency 80% through 3 gears
inlet temperature-50
input pressure-14.5
output pressure-?
compressor efficiency-***using datalogged output temp***
Outlet Temp- 248 ***taken from datalog***

IC input Temperature-248
IC Pressure loss-.5
Ambient Temp-50
Plenum Temp-91
IC Efficiency-80%

AMS-Intercooler Efficiency 79% through 3 gears
inlet temperature-58
input pressure-14.5
output pressure-14
Outlet Temp- 214

IC input Temperature-214
IC Pressure loss-.5
Ambient Temp-58
Plenum Temp-112
IC Efficiency-79%

SPEARCO/Code 3/Dinan-Intercooler Efficiency 54% through 3 gears
inlet temperature-65
input pressure-14.5
output pressure-14
Outlet Temp- 223

IC input Temperature-223
IC Pressure loss-.5
Ambient Temp-65
Plenum Temp-139
IC Efficiency-54%

Last edited by TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management; 03-09-2012 at 06:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 12:09 PM   #37
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatenc123 View Post
The Active Autowerke Fmic does. Heres my stock vs my AA FMIC

Right on. How does that thing fit? It looks like it would block airflow to the lower portion of the radiator, which I don't think is a good thing especially for AT cars where the lower portion of the radiator is dedicated to AT cooling.
      03-09-2012, 12:15 PM   #38
E90SoFlo
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc 22349a View Post
Right on. How does that thing fit? It looks like it would block airflow to the lower portion of the radiator, which I don't think is a good thing especially for AT cars where the lower portion of the radiator is dedicated to AT cooling.
Fits great, requires trimming (obviously)
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 03:20 PM   #39
TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management
Major
TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management's Avatar
Rep
Drives: 2012 Abarth 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeensunn View Post
owned
Oops just noticed I didn't notate that the Spearco is the Dinan just rebadged with a shroud!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 08:42 PM   #40
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddycane View Post
And we're still waiting for you to post a NON-BIASED Dinan response.
See below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadwrong View Post
The cost of the Dinan IC is a good enough reason (for most) to say it isn't worth the money...For this reason, I say the onus is on those who are attempting to justify the cost to prove that the Dinan IC performs at a higher level than the other IC's available...
By your lack of reading comprehension and I can see why you would make such a statement. Nothing in this post mentioned that the Dinan FMIC was superior to other FMIC products. The OP asked is the Dinan FMIC was worth it. The replies came back saying no because of the price, not because of performance, quality, engineerng in comparison to other products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SoFlo View Post
Because the other "top" units are still half the price. That makes the Dinan unit not worth it.

just like all other Dinan products.
TOP units is defined by most e90post members, and those with sand in their pockets, as the one they have been alienated to, by vendor support and marketing which have no weight world wide

So TOP units should rightfully be defined by performance, quality, design, and engineering, not most in qty sold.

You have Spearco, that is $200-$300 less than its modified verison ie the Dinan FMIC. Then AA just behind them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF
Want the best of the best? Well here it is! Spearco is known worldwide for their high quality intercooler kits. There are many companies that try to mimic Spearco's designs, but very few that can offer the performance levels to match these units. If you don't believe us, ask around!

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/buy/Spearco
Why in the world would HPF consider Spearco the best of the best ? They obviously know something about the Spearco product than the negative uncontructive replies on this thread know

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
People will have to evaluate how much the insurance policy is worth to them but based on this test no.

Some FMIC test results posted by dzenno on the other site.

Helix v1 FMIC datalog, 8F rise over 2-3-4 pull at 14psi:

AMS FMIC datalog, 22F rise over 2-3-4 pull at 14psi:

Sparco FMIC datalog, 25F rise over 2-3-4 pull at 14psi:

On the other side the data logs that these results come from are also posted as well as a number of other FMIC's. Used this one because the format was the same for all three.
Beautiful, Helix out performs those product including the unmodified Spearco FMIC. As many of should know the Dinan FMIC in specs is more closer to the Helix FMIC as both have a 93% increased volume over the stock FMIC.

Dinan modified the Spearco FMIC by increasing reduce pressure drop to 0.7 vs 0.2 from the original and increased the volume to 93% also

Helix 0.5 PD

Dinan 0.7 PD vs Orginal Spearco 0.2 PD

Both 93% increased volume size

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddycane View Post

The Helix IC is stepped and very similar to the Dinan for less than HALF the price. Are you telling me the Dinan is TWICE as good as the Helix? [B]The Dinan IC will improve performance, but the price is absurd....
Now back to you. With the exception, the Dinan FMIC retains the Spearco core heat exchange

http://www.turboneticsinc.com/node/86

This is why its so expensive and then Dinan making the modifcations to it by increasing pressure drop to 0.7, instead of 0.2(higher temps), for the exchange off on the cooling and the increase in air volume.

To increase cooling efficiency Dinan added four corner welded "air scoops" to force feed the air rather than it running off the sides and not getting completely and thoroughly through the cores.

Last edited by BQTuning; 03-10-2012 at 12:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 08:51 PM   #41
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTurboBullett View Post
Here's some data taken from end user datalogs that show the pecking order of some of the fmics, as you can see the spearo/dinan didn't fair too well in fact as far as efficiency goes its nowhere near as good as the other aftermarket choices. But hey it's Dinan!
Since the Spearco was "significantly" modified by Dinan and rebadged, those tests have no relevance to the Dinan modified Spearco version..

You should know this, by your statement seems you dont....

Edit: BTW, the "orignal" forum thread posted by dzenno DOES NOT STATE "SPEARCO/Code 3/Dinan-Intercooler" as you so craftily put it in your post above. dzenno test was done on the Spearco "unmodifed" version, not the Dinan modifed Spearco as being discussed here. Good try though

I read those forums to....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTurboBullett View Post
Oops just noticed I didn't notate that the Spearco is the Dinan just rebadged with a shroud!

Much more than that.....See above....

Last edited by BQTuning; 03-09-2012 at 10:51 PM.. Reason: added Edit: statement
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 08:27 AM   #42
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335

There is little point in championing any product. Best to let people believe the garbage they want to believe unless they want to question it. I have Dinan stage III tune hardware but the tune is gone.

The efficiency number seems to be made up with some very magical formula so I would take it with grain of salt and it is kind of funny no one challenges the basic truth. Even worse, some of the data collected in the forum is just wrong or inconclusive but who cares?

Most of the IC’s are performing fairly well so there all comparable and there all better than the stock core. The Sperco core does have the lowest pressure drop for the highest mass flow rates. When it comes to looking at heat exchangers it is going to be about balance and diminishing returns. Each one of the design is trading something off for something else so it best to look at them from this perspective. The fact that some of these heat exchanger are overlapping the coolant radiator is tragic on this very limited system, so on that point, they get a big fail in my book but it may be okay for someone else.

Quote:
See below

By your lack of reading comprehension and I can see why you would make such a statement. Nothing in this post mentioned that the Dinan FMIC was superior to other FMIC products. The OP asked is the Dinan FMIC was worth it. The replies came back saying no because of the price, not because of performance, quality, engineerng in comparison to other products.

TOP units is defined by most e90post members, and those with sand in their pockets, as the one they have been alienated to, by vendor support and marketing which have no weight world wide

So TOP units should rightfully be defined by performance, quality, design, and engineering, not most in qty sold.

You have Spearco, that is $200-$300 less than its modified verison ie the Dinan FMIC. Then AA just behind them.

Why in the world would HPF consider Spearco the best of the best ? They obviously know something about the Spearco product than the negative uncontructive replies on this thread know

Beautiful, Helix out performs those product including the unmodified Spearco FMIC. As many of should know the Dinan FMIC in specs is more closer to the Helix FMIC as both have a 93% increased volume over the stock FMIC.

Dinan modified the Spearco FMIC by increasing reduce pressure drop to 0.7 vs 0.2 from the original and increased the volume to 93% also

Helix 0.5 PD

Dinan 0.7 PD vs Orginal Spearco 0.2 PD

Both 93% increased volume size

Now back to you. With the exception, the Dinan FMIC retains the Spearco core heat exchange

This is why its so expensive and then Dinan making the modifcations to it by increasing pressure drop to 0.7, instead of 0.2(higher temps), for the exchange off on the cooling and the increase in air volume.

To increase cooling efficiency Dinan added four corner welded "air scoops" to force feed the air rather than it running off the sides and not getting completely and thoroughly through the cores.

Last edited by Orb; 11-17-2013 at 12:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 09:35 AM   #43
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
At the end of the day FMIC's reason for being is to cool the intake charge. Bottom line what are the inlet/outlet temps of the Spearco vs. Dinan/Spearco coolers?

The Helix seals to the shroud & is said to have a 0.5PSI pressure drop @ 400 horsepower same as Spearco (Dinan lists 0.7psi @ 398hp). The Helix out performs the stock Spearco in outlet temp increase by 8 degrees to 25 degrees.

That’s why it would be interesting to see in an actual user test if the Dinan modification can not only makes up the 300% spread but significantly out preform it based on the price spread.

With out a test of the Dinan FMIC its all just vendor claims which as far as I know do not make statements on inlet/outlet temps for whatever reasons.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 03-10-2012 at 09:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #44
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
Rep
Drives: 11 ZCP DCT M3 14 328d 21 GT4

Garage List
Quote:

It's nice to know that Dinan has done specific modifications to the Spearco core and not just slap their name on it, but I really don't think most users are going to even notice a difference between the Dinan unit and let's say a ETS or AMS IC.

I think where it would be most noticeable is at the track (road or drag) where the car is getting flogged and at high temps during most of the driving. Very few people fall into that category.

I think Orb's post was very insightful and succinct.

Last edited by bigdaddycane; 03-10-2012 at 10:12 AM..
Appreciate 0