E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Cams?

06-18-2007, 10:16 PM   #23
Cadillac Johnson
Free taco with stolen base
Rep
Drives: 335i? GTR? RS5?

If anyone's interested I heard back from Kelleners, they said they have no plans to design cams for the N54 motor due to Valvetronic...

I e-mailed them back telling them that the N54 doesn't have Valvetronic, and just has Double Vanos. I'm suprised they didn't know that.. Anyway, I'll update this when I get an answer from someone a little more knowledgable.

Turner said they have nothing available and said if Schrick developed cams they would update their site the same day. I replied asking for contact info for Schrick. I had tried to find contact info for them, but all my searches brought me to Turner, so I'm hoping if anyone knows how to contact Schrick it's Turner.

To be honest I'm suprised there's not more interest in cams for the N54, as stated before, Kelleners cams made 72hp on the M5's V10. With PROcede tuned for cams, I would expect really nice gains with the N54.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 05:50 AM   #24
elucas730
I'm just here for the turbo
Rep
Drives: 2004 STi, 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddjob2021 View Post
WTF cams giving 72 bhp? thats nuts. almost impossible in my mind...
Well, those numbers are a bit misleading if you are trying to compare to the 335i. The M5 is a high-revving engine, and the gains from cams are going to be much more noticeable than on a car like the 335i.

As I said earlier, 'typical' upgrade paths vary from vehicle to vehicle. On the STi, nobody does cams unless they are going for really big power (and then they just get a bigger block anyway). It will take some time and experimentation to see if cams will be a worthwhile upgrade for the 335. Sounds like Cadillac wants to be the guinea pig to test it out.
      06-19-2007, 07:53 AM   #25
judec
born to be turbocharged
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: Not a bimmer yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillac Johnson View Post

Turner said they have nothing available and said if Schrick developed cams they would update their site the same day. I replied asking for contact info for Schrick. I had tried to find contact info for them, but all my searches brought me to Turner, so I'm hoping if anyone knows how to contact Schrick it's Turner.

http://www.drschrick.de/?control_id=101

contact email: info@drschrick.de

good luck & enjoy.

PS: Looks like I'm a really better googler, LOL
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 07:59 AM   #26
RichP
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by judec View Post
not really, or not only. because of its design and function it isn't suitable for high reving engines, this is the reason the M5 has d.vanos, too.
The N54 doesnt have a redline significantly higher than the N52 and other motors with valvetronic.

On the topic of cams: they are very difficult to install in a doublevanos motor; be aware you will need a very seasoned BMW trained tech to install them that has the proper special tools. For the amount of work and cost, I personally dont think cams are worth it in BMW applications unless you really hellbent on extracting every last horse.

(note: I had schrick cams in my E46, so I speak from some experience)
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 10:14 AM   #27
Vanderfan
Rep
Drives: 2002 M3

re:Kelleners cams= 72 hp gain for M5/M6

Kelleners claim of 72 hp gain is for their complete power upgrade package, which includes the cams, headers, "sport catilisers", air filters, and ecu mod.

If you were to read the rest of the story from KeithTA, you would see that a cam change is a real mixed bag-

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sho...965#post957965
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 06:36 PM   #28
Cadillac Johnson
Rep

I heard back form Kelleners, they said they are working on N54 cams, and they should be available sometime soon. They said a few weeks, but that usually means a few months.

I would imagine most people who are looking into swapping cams probly have a full exhaust, intake and a tune already. Cams need to be selected based on your current mods, and what you plan for the future. Big cams with mild mods wont make power, cams need to be sized for your application. The people who arent seeing nice gains picked the wrong cam, plain and simple, their mistake.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 06:44 PM   #29
Cadillac Johnson
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by judec View Post
http://www.drschrick.de/?control_id=101

contact email: info@drschrick.de

good luck & enjoy.

PS: Looks like I'm a really better googler, LOL
Yes, you are the king of Google.

Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichP View Post
The N54 doesnt have a redline significantly higher than the N52 and other motors with valvetronic.

On the topic of cams: they are very difficult to install in a doublevanos motor; be aware you will need a very seasoned BMW trained tech to install them that has the proper special tools. For the amount of work and cost, I personally dont think cams are worth it in BMW applications unless you really hellbent on extracting every last horse.

(note: I had schrick cams in my E46, so I speak from some experience)
Yeah, I know it's going to be hard to find someone willing and competant enough to attempt it. But I have a few shops in mind. Dealerships will void your warranty without batting an eye if you looked to them.

I need to find someone that makes springs and retainers too. I figure it would be a good idea to upgrade them at the same time. Should allow me to rev a little higher too.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 03:57 AM   #30
bnj
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

How about just changing Vanos programming?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 07:55 AM   #31
judec
born to be turbocharged
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: Not a bimmer yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillac Johnson View Post
Yes, you are the king of Google.

Thanks for the info..
Well, I could live without this honor, but whatever, I'm glad I could help. Call me anytime.

Quote:
I need to find someone that makes springs and retainers too. I figure it would be a good idea to upgrade them at the same time. Should allow me to rev a little higher too.
Well, it would be really only a little, if any at all. Not sure U can rev higher w/o dry sump oil, as I heard wet sump has a limit of 7.000 rpm for reliable sufficient lubrication.

Also assuming the pistons are as light as possible = forged allready. Are they?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 08:41 AM   #32
bnj
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Wet sump is not a restriction to revs - at least at this low level. There are wet sump units revving to 5-digit rpm. Dry sump is used mainly against cornering forces when oil is pushed to one side.

Last edited by bnj; 06-20-2007 at 09:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 08:44 AM   #33
RichP
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

I think Kellener's just uses schrick cams, or has in the past.

Again, I dont really recommend it, especially on the N54 where there are more gains to be had with other modifications.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 10:26 PM   #34
Cadillac Johnson
Rep

Schrick said they are working on cams and should have them by the end of the year.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 10:47 PM   #35
Cadillac Johnson
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichP View Post
I think Kellener's just uses schrick cams, or has in the past.

Again, I dont really recommend it, especially on the N54 where there are more gains to be had with other modifications.
What other mods are you thinking?

The most basic mods without upgrading turbo's are going to be exhaust, intake, tune, intercooler/piping, then cams.

Alcohol injection wont make much more power since the stock turbo's can probly me maxed out on pump gas. A bigger, more efficient intercooler, and larger more direct intercooler piping would be a nice upgrade, but I'm not big on any of the current intercooler offerings. if anything I'd just get a Garrett core have some endtanks made along with some piping. Although I haven't seen any testing that shows me the stock intercooler is any less efficient than an aftermarket one at stock or PROcede boost levels. After that, I'm not sure what mods your thinking of that will make more of a difference than cams without switching turbos.

Either way, no ones going to have any cams for a few months. I'm still expecting nice gains though. I could easily see a 30-35whp/25-30wtq gain with the stock turbos. Should also help hold the power to redline better. We'll see though, I'm not going to jump in without doing my homework. If the gains aren't worth it, then they're not worth it.

On another note, does anyone know what the flow rating of the stock turbos are, preferably in lbs/min?
Appreciate 0