E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > From Stock to FBO +Meth in one shot!

06-21-2012, 10:41 PM   #23
dblrguy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i & 06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335coupe View Post
Dinan or Giac?
that is funny.

myst, I hear what you are saying. I also appreciate you leaving out names to prevent my tread from turning into a tune argument. I weighed my options based on many hours of reading this forum. My decision was actually based more on the treatment I've seen on the boards than performance numbers. Some manufacturers should really consider who they let represent them in "public". It was not so much that one tune won me over than a major distributor pushed me away.

It all comes down to the fun we have in our cars. I'm not competing with anyone. I simply want to build this car the way I want to have fun with it.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 10:54 PM   #24
KyLu II
FREE DREAMK
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: the shiiit!

Garage List
2011 Lexus LFA  [3.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
this was TUNE related misfire. It's been since resolved in this tune I am referring to.

Hint: It's the one tune that I do NOT have in my sig.
SSTT?
      06-22-2012, 10:16 AM   #25
335(EX)(EYE)
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 n54 & n55 / e46 330ci DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyLu II View Post
SSTT?
HAHA
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 10:17 AM   #26
335(EX)(EYE)
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 n54 & n55 / e46 330ci DD

how many miles? maybe include a walnust blasting or atleast check for carbon buildup...
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 11:12 AM   #27
ZJP
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi / B6 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblrguy View Post
Sounds like you have a nice setup. From the comments others have posted the only thing I'm worried about now is not getting a FMIC now. I'm right at my budget until after I move at the end of the year. I would like the ER but how do you like the AA? Seems to be a good price for it right now. Considering this one or the Wagner Tuning.

Anyone have any suggestions? Anyone recommend the Active over the Wagner? I don't know anything about Wagner products?
Wait a few weeks for the 7" VRSF FMIC, it will be somewhere in the low-mid $400 range.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=703025
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 11:39 AM   #28
dblrguy
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335(EX)(EYE) View Post
how many miles? maybe include a walnust blasting or atleast check for carbon buildup...
I was able to get the entire maintenance history from BMW. the valves were cleaned 3k ago. Good idea though.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 12:28 PM   #29
gzim335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Garage List
2007/1 e90 335i  [2.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblrguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335(EX)(EYE) View Post
I was able to get the entire maintenance history from BMW. the valves were cleaned 3k ago. Good idea though.
change plugs and maybe coils saves u a headache later
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 12:35 PM   #30
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Glad we could help you out! Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 02:35 PM   #31
Shadow007
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe monaco blue

Quote:
I bought my 330i while I was stationed in Germany. I didn't have the option to wait for the 335 at the time. I didn't even let myself test drive a 335 until last week. This is just the start of building the car I have been dreaming about for 5 years.
Where in Germany are you stationed? Im currently deployed right now, but I'm stationed in Ansbach.

E85 Z4M
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 05:11 PM   #32
dblrguy
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow007 View Post
Where in Germany are you stationed? Im currently deployed right now, but I'm stationed in Ansbach.
I was in illesheim, I'm stationed in Ft Hood now though. Hope to get back one day. You guys just relieved us over there. Stay safe.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 05:15 PM   #33
dblrguy
Private
United_States
Rep

Someone tell me if i have this correct, a 5 inch FMIC is a direct install, and a 7 inch requires cutting? Do all 7 inch require the amount of cutting involved with the Big Tom?

What is a good 5 inch that is out right now that replaces the factory piping with t clamps?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 11:35 AM   #34
excalibur_335i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblrguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow007 View Post
I was in illesheim, I'm stationed in Ft Hood now though. Hope to get back one day. You guys just relieved us over there. Stay safe.

Im heading back to Fort Hood within the next few days as well. i basically did the same thing as you with ordering the parts, except i had the car before i deployed and i have a slightly different preference of upgrades. The only thing now is sorting through all the boxes in my garage when i get back to figure out what to install first, lol. maybe ill see you in Hood in the near future. good luck with the modding.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #35
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

Damn, you guys like to hit it before any foreplay. The examination and appreciation of each modification is more than half of the fun for me. Youre gonna have to go with upgraded or a single turbo in order to get a new appreciation of power. In the end everyone has different tastes. You're gonna love your car with the new mods.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 09:14 PM   #36
dblrguy
Private
United_States
Rep

About time for an update...

Well, my week of install did not go quite as well as planned. I received shipping confirmation showing that my items would be here by Tuesday (yesterday) and was a bit disappointed to learn that most of the items would be delayed. I did get some visual parts in and the hard part of the Aquamist system installed to my liking. Props again to Howerton E. Ordered on Wed received Fri! I set up a dyno slot next week. I guess it will just be a baseline run. Wouldn't you know it, 30 minutes after I take the car off jackstands the UPS guy showes with my DP's! But now I have parts. Still think I'll do a baseline. Some pictures for those that need them.

Black grilles... they were the only chrome on the car. Had to do it.
Name:  Front.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  63.5 KB

Was able to figure out the 3M Dinoc. This stuff is outstanding. Use the edge sealer, a heat gun and some time. Here is a clue: I was trying to puncture the start button hole. I got it really hot with the gun and pushed a screwdriver two inches in, just shy of puncturing. Let it cool, heated it back up slowly and the material returned to normal. Very forgiving stuff.
Name:  Inside.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  89.8 KB

2 gal tank from Howerton. This thing is awesome. I did not think it was going to be this big but I was able to fit it where I wanted. Had to make a platform for it to slide back into this spot. I also had to remove the felt cover for that tail light. My goal for this install was to be out of the way, removable if I need the trunk space, and professional looking. My thoughts for placement of the wires and tubing were that if I remove the box, gauge, and valve would a tech notice? I think not unless they were specifically looking. Every wire and tube is wrapped in with factory equipment. I used adhesive zip tie basses where stock stuff didn't run.
Name:  Tank Far.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  87.5 KB

I designed the mount to attach with sheetmetal screws and velcro as the anti-tipping devise. The extra hose and wiring is so that I can unmount the...mount and open the box to disconnect everything.
Name:  Tank.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  79.0 KB

What does everyone think? Comments, questions, moans, groans, bitches, gripes or complaints?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 09:47 PM   #37
Lulz_M3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335i 6MT

Quote:
Well, my week of install did not go quite as well as planned. I received shipping confirmation showing that my items would be here by Tuesday (yesterday) and was a bit disappointed to learn that most of the items would be delayed. I did get some visual parts in and the hard part of the Aquamist system installed to my liking. Props again to Howerton E. Ordered on Wed received Fri! I set up a dyno slot next week. I guess it will just be a baseline run. Wouldn't you know it, 30 minutes after I take the car off jackstands the UPS guy showes with my DP's! But now I have parts. Still think I'll do a baseline. Some pictures for those that need them.

Black grilles... they were the only chrome on the car. Had to do it.
Attachment 713623

Was able to figure out the 3M Dinoc. This stuff is outstanding. Use the edge sealer, a heat gun and some time. Here is a clue: I was trying to puncture the start button hole. I got it really hot with the gun and pushed a screwdriver two inches in, just shy of puncturing. Let it cool, heated it back up slowly and the material returned to normal. Very forgiving stuff.
Attachment 713624

2 gal tank from Howerton. This thing is awesome. I did not think it was going to be this big but I was able to fit it where I wanted. Had to make a platform for it to slide back into this spot. I also had to remove the felt cover for that tail light. My goal for this install was to be out of the way, removable if I need the trunk space, and professional looking. My thoughts for placement of the wires and tubing were that if I remove the box, gauge, and valve would a tech notice? I think not unless they were specifically looking. Every wire and tube is wrapped in with factory equipment. I used adhesive zip tie basses where stock stuff didn't run.
Attachment 713625

I designed the mount to attach with sheetmetal screws and velcro as the anti-tipping devise. The extra hose and wiring is so that I can unmount the...mount and open the box to disconnect everything.
Attachment 713626

What does everyone think? Comments, questions, moans, groans, bitches, gripes or complaints?
Looking good, how sturdy is the meth tank? I've been waiting to get mine put in, have the same one in my garage. I was going to build a base out of MDF and wrap it in DINOC, you're right that stuff is amazing to work with.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 10:06 PM   #38
dblrguy
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulz_M3 View Post
Looking good, how sturdy is the meth tank?
Tank is plenty strong. The coating on it is quality. I made my mount from wood and wrapped it with some DINOC. I was worried about MDF and what it would do if any liquid was spilled on it. Not that I expect to spray meth in my trunk but...

Are you going to do the install yourself? What tune and setup do you plan on running?

I have all the in car wires ran. I don't have my charge pipe yet and have not decided if i'm going to let the procede run the meth or let the HSF-4 do its thing and tell the procede just for map switching.

Anyone have any suggestions on this? Procede run the meth or just map switching?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 10:19 PM   #39
Lulz_M3
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Tank is plenty strong. The coating on it is quality. I made my mount from wood and wrapped it with some DINOC. I was worried about MDF and what it would do if any liquid was spilled on it. Not that I expect to spray meth in my trunk but...

Are you going to do the install yourself? What tune and setup do you plan on running?

I have all the in car wires ran. I don't have my charge pipe yet and have not decided if i'm going to let the procede run the meth or let the HSF-4 do its thing and tell the procede just for map switching.

Anyone have any suggestions on this? Procede run the meth or just map switching?
I will be doing the install myself, running Cobb with an Evolution Raceworks chargepipe but im putting the meth nozzles closer to the intercooler, i dont like how most (all?) chargepipes have the nozzles so close to the TMAP sensor.

You definately want the PROcede to control the meth, thats one of the main selling points of the piggyback tunes, and it integrates beautifully between map switching and failsafes.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 08:10 AM   #40
dblrguy
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I will be doing the install myself, running Cobb with an Evolution Raceworks chargepipe
I'm thinking of trying out Cobb in the future once their meth maps are proven a bit.

Its frustrating that I intended to be FBO+ meth this weekend and I'm still stock.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 08:24 AM   #41
Lulz_M3
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm thinking of trying out Cobb in the future once their meth maps are proven a bit.

Its frustrating that I intended to be FBO+ meth this weekend and I'm still stock.
Cobb is good stuff, especially now that Access Tuner Race (ATR) has just dropped, but they still have a ways to go towards providing a complete tuning solution, but i am confident it will get there. The off the shelf maps that are provided by Cobb are quite conservative. Once we start to develop a good database of ATR maps i would urge you to try one out.

I feel your pain on having to wait, for the past 6 months ive been trying to play catchup with getting all my mods installed that have been collecting dust in my garage. I've had my HFS4 for like a month now lol, still have no idea when im going to get it put in, which is really a moot point anyways because im probably just going to fry my stock clutch. I guess its shopping time again... GL with your install, its going to be a beast.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 08:38 AM   #42
dblrguy
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I feel your pain on having to wait, for the past 6 months ive been trying to play catchup with getting all my mods installed that have been collecting dust in my garage. I've had my HFS4 for like a month now lol, still have no idea when im going to get it put in...
I don't know how you can wait to put anything on. I had the car in the garage for 4 days. I did the trim, and the HSF4 on and off each day. Would be different if I was doing it after work each day. Get to focus on the bike a bit till my car parts get here...
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 08:59 AM   #43
Lulz_M3
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't know how you can wait to put anything on. I had the car in the garage for 4 days. I did the trim, and the HSF4 on and off each day. Would be different if I was doing it after work each day. Get to focus on the bike a bit till my car parts get here...
There was once a time i was in your shoes, but that has passed.

See my backwindow for the explanation...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 09:13 AM   #44
nafoo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Boosted Bimmer

Quote:
There was once a time i was in your shoes, but that has passed.

See my backwindow for the explanation...
Lol

OP, good luck with your installs! You look like you know what the hell you're doing. Can't wait to see your final results
Appreciate 0