E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Driving Violation Ticket in B.C

07-08-2007, 09:35 PM   #23
G-Mach1
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F34 - 2014 335 xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by achien View Post
I pay my fair share of taxes while I am making money here. Is it too much to expect non-corrupt civil servants working in the government?

After all, we are the tax payers who pay their salaries.

I am not sure how many "Traffic Consultants" you folks have in Calgary and Edmonton, but they (usually ex-cops, how convenient), along with "some" RCMP officers, are making a mockery out of the judicial system here in Ontario.
Why won't you go some where else where the system is of your liking and pay the taxes? Or wait there is no other place like Canada where people will tolerate these types of behaviour. I assume you are from HK and even in your own country you can't do these type of things. If you left the country for more money why did you come back?
You know I am not sure how many trafic consultants we have here in Calgary but regrdless of how many we have if you break the law pay the price. You have to man enough to admit that you have done some thing wrong. If you are not man enough then don't break the law then you will be ok.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2007, 10:29 PM   #24
ehhhwik
Brigadier General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 09' BMW 335d, 07' BMW E92 328i

i think in many countries, corruption is present in all positions of authority, when people have power, there is higher chance they will get corrupt and in Canada or HK, there is no difference, it is very hard to catch people who are corrupt and for people who want to catch them its also very hard because its very complex and complicated and involves not just a few people

thats why in HK there are agencies like ICAC who tackle corruption and in poorer countries (ex. Mexico, Malaysia, Thailand, etc) a lot of police and authoratative figures are corrupted because they get much lower wages than the people who do the same jobs in North America

thats why RCMP officers get paid like $30/hr+ or whatever for giving people driving tickets and keeping laws in order

Retired: 07' E92 328i (Jet Black)
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2007, 12:44 AM   #25
Yan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

dispute the tickets, at least you will get more discount. The judge will let you and the cop negotiate a better amount first.

Canadian cops are not bad. However, they care too much about the traffic issue. My friend's home got brake in, the cop did not even go into his house.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2007, 01:24 AM   #26
ehhhwik
Brigadier General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 09' BMW 335d, 07' BMW E92 328i

just go and dispute it, there might be a chance that the cop don't show up and then if the cop shows up, just tell them you are first time offender and sorry for what you done and just act like a sorry ass, Canadian people are sympathetic in nature (most of the time), so your odds of a lesser fine is very likely!

Retired: 07' E92 328i (Jet Black)
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2007, 01:55 AM   #27
Whoopsy
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11 B7, 11 X6M, 07 997TT, 08 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaWong1989 View Post
Hi, I just got ticketed for 3 counts: Disobey Stop Sign 186(a), Speed Against Highway Sign 146(3), Drive Contrary To Restrictions 25(15). The ticket is $472 and I can pay within 30 days to get $25 dollar off each count. The cop said to me that I should try to dispute and that he will be there. Should I really dispute? This is my second time I got a ticket and the first time I got ticketed for speeding, failing to display N sign and carrying too many people. If I pay this ticket, does this mean I'll lose my license? If I dispute what are the chances that I'll win? If I win do I get this written off my record meaning I get to keep my license? I got my first ticket in April and I've paid that already and I have yet to recieve a suspension letter so I am guessing I am off but now this. I really need you guys' advices, thanks.

If the cop said he will be there if you dispute it, he means he really want the ticket to stick and get you off the street. This ticket is worth 9 points on its own, plus the 3 you get in April you are already looking at 12 points within 3 month and that's not counting whatever you've already got. You will only get suspended if you have 15 or more points within 2 years.

ICBC also wants to take a bit off you too, that 12 points in 3 months is gonna cost you $1260 DPP. If you already had say 6 points in your system within the last year then that means you will be looking at 18 points as the DPP is $3120.

IF you did get suspended you will be suspended for 3 months, after that you can pay to reinstate your N license, you do not need to retake the class 7 test, your next test will be class 5. But you will need to do the whole 24 months on N sign.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2007, 02:01 AM   #28
JHFW89225
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoopsy View Post
If the cop said he will be there if you dispute it, he means he really want the ticket to stick and get you off the street. This ticket is worth 9 points on its own, plus the 3 you get in April you are already looking at 12 points within 3 month and that's not counting whatever you've already got. You will only get suspended if you have 15 or more points within 2 years.

ICBC also wants to take a bit off you too, that 12 points in 3 months is gonna cost you $1260 DPP. If you already had say 6 points in your system within the last year then that means you will be looking at 18 points as the DPP is $3120.

IF you did get suspended you will be suspended for 3 months, after that you can pay to reinstate your N license, you do not need to retake the class 7 test, your next test will be class 5. But you will need to do the whole 24 months on N sign.
Ok thanks for clearing it up, I don't mind paying because I think I deserve to pay the ticket. I did what was wrong and I deserve to pay it. I just didn't really want to lose the license because I'd rather change my attitude toward driving rather than losing it. I want another chance. I admit I am at fault 100% and I am sorry.

Are you sure your info is correct tho? cuz if ur right i'll just go pay it and try to make myself a better driver.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2007, 09:32 AM   #29
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Mach1 View Post
Why won't you go some where else where the system is of your liking and pay the taxes? Or wait there is no other place like Canada where people will tolerate these types of behaviour. I assume you are from HK and even in your own country you can't do these type of things. If you left the country for more money why did you come back?
You know I am not sure how many trafic consultants we have here in Calgary but regrdless of how many we have if you break the law pay the price. You have to man enough to admit that you have done some thing wrong. If you are not man enough then don't break the law then you will be ok.
Don't worry, when the price is right, I will go whereever I can make more $$$. If corruption gets any worse here in Canada, you can guarantee there will be a lot of people who will vote with their feet and work elsewhere.

In the end, this country will lose out as they lose contributing members of this society, as well as tax payers who fund the social programs in this country.

In the mean time, I have not used "Traffic Consultants" to go to court, as been advised by the cops who wrote the tickets. I have been "man" enough to face them directly in court in previous occasions. It just so happens they were no shows and I couldn't question them on the witness stands (who is the man now?). I always wonder, wouldn't the judge love to hear this stuff in court.

To your point earlier, the corruption in RCMP is not just on the top-tier. The guys on the top is responsible for the culture of corruption and giving directions. They still need the middle-tier to manage their dirty deeds and the bottom-tier to do the grunt work. In essence, it is nothing short of racketeering, which is why the current federal government takes this so seriously.

It is not feasible nor practical to prosecute everyone within RCMP, otherwise, you may find up to 50% to 75% civil servants getting implicated in the process. The current federal government is hoping by taking out the top-tier folks who give out orders, the whole system will crumble.

You can continue to put your "head in the sand" like an ostrich and pretend everything is hunky-dorie, or you can do something about this and make this country a better place than it is already.

You don't have to look very far, just south of the border, to find corruption and cronyism. I spent six (6) years down in NY and California during the "good" years, but decided to leave because I am finding the "new" government at the time, is not only incompentent, but full of corruption and cronyism. It is not suprising the best days of the US is behind them (just look at the US$ vs. the CDN$ in the past few years), unless of course, someone decides to pull their head out from the sand and put an end to this G.W.Bush mess.

Last edited by achien; 07-09-2007 at 12:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2007, 11:06 AM   #30
alanchan
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 323i

just dispute the tickets, go to the court as everyone suggested.

I had similiar issue before when cop gave me ticket for left turn on yellow light.
I went to the court, and the cop was here, the court will schedule him to be there for the tickets he issued.
but don't worry, you get a 50% chance.

there were at least 5 or 6 people got ticket from this same cop and we all go into the same court room.
before we go in, the cop will go around and ask each party for details of their tickets.
I told the cop nothing.... and he was there scratching his head......why I am there for.......
when we go into the court room, the cop told the judge he has nothing prepared for my case and I win automatically.
no charges, no fines

so, go for it, it will take at least 6-8 months to schedule a hearing.
put your money in the bank now and pay later if you lose.
good luck!!

Last edited by alanchan; 07-09-2007 at 01:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2007, 12:33 PM   #31
Whoopsy
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11 B7, 11 X6M, 07 997TT, 08 X5

Quote:
Ok thanks for clearing it up, I don't mind paying because I think I deserve to pay the ticket. I did what was wrong and I deserve to pay it. I just didn't really want to lose the license because I'd rather change my attitude toward driving rather than losing it. I want another chance. I admit I am at fault 100% and I am sorry.

Are you sure your info is correct tho? cuz if ur right i'll just go pay it and try to make myself a better driver.
Even if you don't mind paying, you might still want to dispute. If your record was clean before April, you will be carrying 12 points for the next 21 months, and within that 21 months if you get any ticket you are off the road for 3months.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2007, 04:37 PM   #32
flush01
Major
Rep
Drives: 33m@%#ing5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoopsy View Post
Even if you don't mind paying, you might still want to dispute. If your record was clean before April, you will be carrying 12 points for the next 21 months, and within that 21 months if you get any ticket you are off the road for 3months.
he really wants to pay it for some reason even after telling him what he should do... let him pay it and get his license suspended, i dont get people like that, but whatever
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2007, 09:24 PM   #33
JHFW89225
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i  [0.00]
well i filed my dispute. Should I hire a lawyer to attend with me or for me to fight the ticket? oh yeah what if the cops show up in court, I heard that UBC police are likely to show up. Is there any chance to negotiate something?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2007, 04:10 AM   #34
rich662
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
i don't know if this is true, but i heard there is some new rule where any cop can attend the court hearing and represent the cop that actually issued you the ticket, i could be completely wrong but i think one of my friends told me about this.

in addition, if you really really hate the cop and be a pain in the arse, you can call the traffic department in the area where you got ticketed, and request a report (you have to do this within 30 days). when you ask for this report, they will contact the officer that issued the ticket and make them do the report (which is a sh1tload of paperwork). i've heard from some biker friends that they do this all the time and even speeding tickets require at least 1/2 day of paperwork. many officers choose not to deal with the hassle and let the charge be removed.

FS: DPE LS-5 (for sale: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171839)
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 02:21 PM   #35
flyer333
GSS CORP.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E90/E93

fight it.. even if the cop shows up... u might still get a discount or some sort..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 02:31 PM   #36
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

Quote:
well i filed my dispute. Should I hire a lawyer to attend with me or for me to fight the ticket? oh yeah what if the cops show up in court, I heard that UBC police are likely to show up. Is there any chance to negotiate something?
Given you are getting a total of $472 of tickets, it is better to get a lawyer.
      08-22-2007, 02:26 PM   #37
davig
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Given the money involved and the risk of suspension, get a traffic court paralegal-usually ex cop-to represent you. What often happens is that you will pay a slightly smaller find and have the points reduced or eliminated.
Appreciate 0