E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Turbo Spool Sound III- Attack of the boost target problems

10-28-2012, 01:00 PM   #23
kfrazie1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomos319 View Post
As far as I know, they are new. Car is at my mechanic now, first he will pull the DP's, and check the turbos visually to the extent that he can. He will also visually check for WG binding. Otherwise, everything is coming off so I can go back to the dealer and get this looked at.
Let us now how it pans out.
      10-29-2012, 08:32 AM   #24
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmacc View Post
Have you gotten any coolant sensor temp gradient codes on the 9-10 maps? If I have my wg set to 90% (which I want instead of rattly 50%) I throw the temp gradient with the coolant sensor and my car loses basically all power without limping, the fans kick on loud, and my oil temps begin to plummet.
No, I have not thrown that code.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #25
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Any word?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 05:10 PM   #26
Chrisred
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi coupe

I wanna know also. Mine doesn't do it all the time. But it's freaken ear aching .....I'm gonna put suck airbox back soon. Maybe it is the DCI
      10-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #27
KaiserN54
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
Any word?
The car is being de-modded as we speak. Mechanic didn't find any visible damage to the turbines. Also said that at least by finger, they seem to rotate alright. Wasn't able to tell if there was any play in the shafts at all. He agrees the sound is bearing like, and will be putting a stethascope to the car tomorrow. So we shall see.

I have talked to Robert @ Vishnu, and he agreed that if it is in fact my turbos, it will be best to flash back to stock before taking it in. And because SEMA is this week, the earliest It can get done is next Monday. Then I need to drive the car about a week so I can get some "normal" history recorded on the DME before going to the dealer.

This is going to be a slow process, I will update as things develop.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 07:20 PM   #28
KaiserN54
First Lieutenant
Rep

Ok, so I got the car back from my mechanic- he found a good size leak on one of my DP's at the turbo. While this hasn't totally eliminated the whine, it is a tad quiter. I will be logging things soon to see if the o2 sensor readings was scrambling things and causing the boost issues. I'm not holding my breath though.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 09:02 PM   #29
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Here is a video I made tonight with my crappy cell phone. This is fully warm, stock exhaust. It's probably 2x louder in person but you can clearly hear it
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 09:43 PM   #30
KaiserN54
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Here is a video I made tonight with my crappy cell phone. This is fully warm, stock exhaust. It's probably 2x louder in person but you can clearly hear it
That sort of sounds like mine but...are you having any issues with boost? Heres a recent log I did, captured right as I got a half engine light. No codes, however...

Name:  turbotrouble.png
Views: 297
Size:  183.6 KB
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 09:46 PM   #31
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
That sort of sounds like mine but...are you having any issues with boost? Heres a recent log I did, captured right as I got a half engine light. No codes, however...

Attachment 774462
No lights or codes, boost is perfect in my logs
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 05:33 PM   #32
KaiserN54
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No lights or codes, boost is perfect in my logs
I'm just curious what you see in those logs. Is it just me or is my boost all over the place relative to target?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 08:33 PM   #33
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I'm just curious what you see in those logs. Is it just me or is my boost all over the place relative to target?
I'm not an amazing log reader, but yes, your boost looks like it isn't matching your target well at all. That said, I think the actual siren sound is an isolated issue because, by boost/target looks perfect and I still have the noise.

Here is one of my JB4 logs for boost target comparison:

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 10:34 PM   #34
KaiserN54
First Lieutenant
Rep

Unhappy Still trying to trouble shoot. Can someone take a look at these logs?

I have been trying to figure out what the F(*& is going on with my car a while now. At first I was just concerned because my new OEM turbos where whining quite loudly. (They still do). The problem is simply that, every once in a while, I will put it in a given gear and give it 100% throttle, and nothing happens. The car basically flatlines. That and the fact that the power seems...less than it should be, irratically.

Because it such a pain in the ass to demod the car and bring it back to the dealer, I have been approaching the problem systematically- removing mods and put the stock stuff back in bit by bit, and then driving it to see if the problems still occured. Point in case: Things seemed alot better after taking out the forge DV's and putting the stockers back in. At least at first. But after getting out for some traffic-free test driving this evening, it still exhibits some of the same behaviors.

What I am really trying to avoid is getting to the point to where I have to send my DME back to Vishnu to be flashed back to stock. I live in Ohio, and can fully expect to be without a car for a week while waiting on Shiv to get it back to me.

Can someone please take a look at these logs? I took them earlier today just after putting the stock CP and DV's back in. Only mods at this point are DCI's and Flexfuel. I guess what I am wondering is if anyone who knows how to read these is seeing anything elseI might be missing here. I can only describe so much, the logs tell the story. If only I spoke their language more fluently...

Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to tell me what the hell is going on here.

data_file1 - Copy.txt

Name:  troubleshooting.png
Views: 258
Size:  187.9 KB
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 10:35 PM   #35
KaiserN54
First Lieutenant
Rep

Unhappy Still trying to trouble shoot. Can someone take a look at these logs?

Because it such a pain in the ass to demod the car and bring it back to the dealer, I have been approaching the problem systematically- removing mods and put the stock stuff back in bit by bit, and then driving it to see if the problems still occured. Point in case: Things seemed alot better after taking out the forge DV's and putting the stockers back in. At least at first. But after getting out for some traffic-free test driving this evening, it still exhibits some of the same behaviors.

What I am really trying to avoid is getting to the point to where I have to send my DME back to Vishnu to be flashed back to stock. I live in Ohio, and can fully expect to be without a car for a week while waiting on Shiv to get it back to me.

Can someone please take a look at these logs? I took them earlier today just after putting the stock CP and DV's back in. Only mods at this point are DCI's and Flexfuel. I guess what I am wondering is if anyone who knows how to read these is seeing anything elseI might be missing here. I can only describe so much, the logs tell the story. If only I spoke their language more fluently...

Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to tell me what the hell is going on here.

Attachment 776564

Attachment 776563
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 05:06 AM   #36
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

I see youre trying to hit a lower boost target which is good and your afrs look a little better. It seems something on you car won't hold higher boost levels.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 11:00 AM   #37
Evil///M
Professional Hitman
United_States
Rep
Drives: Built 335is | Ranger Tremor

Garage List
I wouldn't put anything past the factory turbos. I had mine replaced brand new recently too, they have about 3k on them now. They started rattling again at only 1k.
      11-04-2012, 11:28 AM   #38
KaiserN54
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil///M View Post
I wouldn't put anything past the factory turbos. I had mine replaced brand new recently too, they have about 3k on them now. They started rattling again at only 1k.
I wish mine only rattled at this point. Much better than the constant siren & boost issues I am having.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #39
Evil///M
Professional Hitman
United_States
Rep
Drives: Built 335is | Ranger Tremor

Garage List
Quote:
I wish mine only rattled at this point. Much better than the constant siren & boost issues I am having.
Mine also makes a spooling sound but it's more of a swooshing, and suction kind of sound, and almost like a jet engine on a commercial airliner. It's been like that ever since I got it back so I'm not sure if that's normal or if there's a leak of some kind.
Also the rattling isn't that bad. I I can hear it faintly when getting on it after 2-2500 RPMs and always on cold starts for a minute.
      11-04-2012, 02:54 PM   #40
KaiserN54
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil///M View Post
Mine also makes a spooling sound but it's more of a swooshing, and suction kind of sound, and almost like a jet engine on a commercial airliner. It's been like that ever since I got it back so I'm not sure if that's normal or if there's a leak of some kind.
Also the rattling isn't that bad. I I can hear it faintly when getting on it after 2-2500 RPMs and always on cold starts for a minute.
Did you watch my video? The turbos on these cars will make some noise- a lot of my headache was trying to tell abnormal from normal. Basically Whiiirr is normal, whereas Whiiiii is not. I have the latter problem, and at this point I see no choice but to take it back to the dealer in stock form.

One thing I definately plan to do this time though, assuming I get yet another set of turbos: I'm leaving it stock till spring. If they fail yet again, I can just take it in as-is, no headaches, no de-modding. It's not like the extra 200 whp is useful in the snow, anyways.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 03:33 PM   #41
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Did you watch my video? The turbos on these cars will make some noise- a lot of my headache was trying to tell abnormal from normal. Basically Whiiirr is normal, whereas Whiiiii is not. I have the latter problem, and at this point I see no choice but to take it back to the dealer in stock form.

One thing I definately plan to do this time though, assuming I get yet another set of turbos: I'm leaving it stock till spring. If they fail yet again, I can just take it in as-is, no headaches, no de-modding. It's not like the extra 200 whp is useful in the snow, anyways.
My car is now stock, i'm going to be going to the dealer to attempt to get a turbo replacement. I will let you know my outcome. By the way, when I was taking off my intake, I found quite a bit of oil around the throttle body on the charge pipe. I'm thinking boost leak, but no codes and logs/WGDC look perfect?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 03:46 PM   #42
KaiserN54
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
My car is now stock, i'm going to be going to the dealer to attempt to get a turbo replacement. I will let you know my outcome. By the way, when I was taking off my intake, I found quite a bit of oil around the throttle body on the charge pipe. I'm thinking boost leak, but no codes and logs/WGDC look perfect?
I don't know. Mine had a good amount of oil in it to, but nothing obsene. FYI, I only believe I may be able to get new turbos because these are new turbos themselves, replaced for the wastegate issues under the extended warranty, which means the new parts themselves are warrantied for two years. If this was just turbo failure outside of warranty, I'm don't think the recent 8/82 extension would cover any failure not WG related.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 03:54 PM   #43
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I don't know. Mine had a good amount of oil in it to, but nothing obsene. FYI, I only believe I may be able to get new turbos because these are new turbos themselves, replaced for the wastegate issues under the extended warranty, which means the new parts themselves are warrantied for two years. If this was just turbo failure outside of warranty, I'm don't think the recent 8/82 extension would cover any failure not WG related.
I will be using factory warranty to cover it (4yr/50,000mi), not CPO or the 8/82 extention. And the oil was ON the charge pipe, not in it. My car is an 08 with only 19,000 miles.
Appreciate 0