E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Do you hate the fact alot of bimmers are leased?

Closed Thread

08-22-2007, 09:23 PM   #23
yemski
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Garage List
2011 1M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalex05 View Post
I do.

1. They usually don't maintain the car correctly (Oilchange atleast every 5,000 miles, Correct Tire Pressures, ect)

2. They usually drive mechanically aggressive and not caring about the future fate of the car as they will usually turn the car back in, in about 2 years.

3. You will never know if the former owner leased the vehicle.

So basically it comes down to luck of the draw for pre owned car buyers.

All I know if I was a leaser which I probably will never be. I will treat the car as it is my own. Change oil every 3,000 with top of the line oil (Royal Purple), drive mechanically safe most of the time and give the car some respect. So that the next owner may have an easier time.
you have too much time on your hands - these cars are made to be driven hard so I don't understand what you mean by 'mechanically aggressive' - maybe you should get a pre owned Mercedes.

BMW and performance is synonymous.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 09:26 PM   #24
sesegal99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 328I Coupe Sport

WTF?

I lease my cars...AND I take care of my leased car better than anyone I know...including those who bought! Here's why. I leased my car b/c the sticker was close to 50k. Sorry I can't afford those payments. My lease payment is $413 on a brand new car. I put nothin down and traded in my '03 G35 Coupe that had cloth and no premium pkg. Paid up front for the wheel insurance at $600. You can see from the options listed in my sig that I did in fact get a great lease payment.

So... I got a great deal and it allows me to be able to afford a car I otherwise would not have been able to. After 3 years I plan on buying the car. BMWs just like my G35 hold value, so why give the equity back to the dealer? Instead, I buy the car and the equity becomes mine (i always have low miles and keep my cars perfect) so it makes sense. Ya, I have more payments than if I would have just bought it from the begining but it doesn't put a financial strain on my bank account this way and I can still drive a very nice car and use it as a trade in on a new car once the lease is up and I have financed what is owed. I know many people that lease and take car of their car probably better than you do.
2009 328i Coupe Space Grey w/ Dakota LeatherSTEP, Sport Pkg. w Paddle Shifters, Prem. Pkg., Comfort Access, Grey Popler Trim, Heated Seats, Shadowline Trim, Xenon Adaptive Lights, GP Thunder Fogs, GP Thunder Angels, RE15mm Spacers, 35% Tint,OEM Alarm, Clear Corners, K&N, Strut Brace
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 09:27 PM   #25
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbb View Post
The funny thing is that in most cases, leasing is almost exactly the same as financing b/c most people get a 48 or 60 month loan and get rid of their cars before they've made the final payment. People in that situation don't "own" their cars any more than people who are leasing do.
Yeah, you're right, that's not smart. Maybe their family has grown, they can't afford to keep the vehicle because they overextended themselves, or the opposite, their salary has risen considerably and they want something new. But the major difference is how critical the inspection is when the vehicle is turned in. That will play a part in how someone treats something they will eventually give up.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 09:31 PM   #26
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesegal99 View Post
So... I got a great deal and it allows me to be able to afford a car I otherwise would not have been able to. After 3 years I plan on buying the car.
That's a very honest statement. Many people say that the cash flow they save is invested, thereby making them more money. I guess that's leverage, and would accelerate investment losses when times are not good, such as the last month.

Anyway, I'm curious, where would someone get the lump sum needed to buy out the lease 3 years later? Is that saved every month, i.e. set aside?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 09:36 PM   #27
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
I don't know, I've always bought cars but am thinking I might lease next time. The things I don't like about a lease are (1) the mileage limitation, which I'd be afraid would make me feel either like I have to watch to make sure I'm not driving too much or like I'm driving too little and not getting my money's worth; and (2) leases seem a lot harder to escape, since you can't just sell the car at any time. I've seen websites referenced where people can "swap" leases, so maybe the second one isn't such a problem.

One benefit to leasing is that, I think, in Northern VA you don't pay property tax on leased vehicles. I could be wrong about that, but if it's true, that's a significant savings. My property tax for this past year was nearly $1K on the Bimmer.
      08-22-2007, 09:38 PM   #28
sesegal99
Captain
Rep

John 070: The remainder (buyout) is financed through a bank....you don't need a lump sum 3 years later.
2009 328i Coupe Space Grey w/ Dakota LeatherSTEP, Sport Pkg. w Paddle Shifters, Prem. Pkg., Comfort Access, Grey Popler Trim, Heated Seats, Shadowline Trim, Xenon Adaptive Lights, GP Thunder Fogs, GP Thunder Angels, RE15mm Spacers, 35% Tint,OEM Alarm, Clear Corners, K&N, Strut Brace
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 09:39 PM   #29
shragon
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

lol. i could care less.
      08-22-2007, 09:42 PM   #30
sesegal99
Captain
Rep

You can turn your lease into a buy antime you want. If you want out....just finance what you owe (buyout plus remaining lease payments) and turn around and sell it. You can actually make a profit with higher end cars if you have taken good care of it. I drive all over and have never had a problem with miles. 15k miles a year is alot....and if you buy it at the end of the lease who cares how many miles are on it....the bank doesn't!!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 09:43 PM   #31
ZuerstBMW
¡Viva España!
Rep
Drives: 24 G20 330i Skyscraper Gray

Unless you paid cash for the car, you dont own anything anyways. Whats your point It has nothing to do with if you buy or lease it, it has to do with the person and how they treat the cars.
      08-22-2007, 09:44 PM   #32
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

I lease mine and yes I'm not too concerned, that is why I lease. I will be responsible though, I promise!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 10:00 PM   #33
jbake
OG
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

This is my first leased BMW. Yes I do take care of it very well, but why would that stop me from driving it like I stole it? Full warranty, car is built for it. If I didn't want to drive her hard I would buy a prius. CPO BMW's have extended warranty 2 years plus original warranty date. I think BMW has the system down pretty well.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 10:03 PM   #34
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

This is my first lease also, reason being is I would get a new car often and taking big depreciation hits is not fun. On the flip side I see no point in buying a BMW anymore since they are basically crap after 3 to 4 years now with all the electrical junk that starts to go downhill and the cost to fix is crazy, we are talking $1,200 just to get a transmission computer replaced..

Anyways I drive the crap out of all my cars, but I keep them clean inside and out. What I do with my car is my own business and you shouldnt worry about it.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 10:06 PM   #35
F30Toad
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Genesis G70

How do you feel about people who pay cash? I'm really interested to hear your insight into how that group treats their cars.

Signed,
A non-worthy BMW lessee.

Got to go, feel the need to drive my car through an open field for fun.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 10:54 PM   #36
SoCalM311
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbb View Post
The funny thing is that in most cases, leasing is almost exactly the same as financing b/c most people get a 48 or 60 month loan and get rid of their cars before they've made the final payment. People in that situation don't "own" their cars any more than people who are leasing do.

Since I only seem to keep a car about 3 years, as I said in a previous post, I'm leaning towards leasing myself.

couldnt have said it any better this is what im getting ready to do, look at a lease.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 11:08 PM   #37
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E39M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
This guy is probably a troll from the volkswagen forum, makes no sense, and has no data to back up the claim, not that it means anything anyway. We got a good laugh from his ass though.
      08-22-2007, 11:08 PM   #38
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
I understand what the OP is saying, but it's still a bit presumptuous to say that people who lease don't care for their cars. At least with BMW we have "cost-free" scheduled maintenance, and a record of when the car was serviced.
      08-22-2007, 11:09 PM   #39
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

who gives a damn how others treat their own property?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 11:20 PM   #40
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

why does this matter again???
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 11:28 PM   #41
bmarvin81
Private
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335, '06 FX45

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes I will buy new. However alot of people can only afford a BMW if its a pre owned.
I hope you realize how sad and insecure that sounds. Get over yourself and your bimmer, new, used, it doesn't matter. There are people with loads of cash who buy used cars because they simply don't want to take it on the chin on the initial depreciation. I hope you sleep better at night knowing that you can afford to rock a new bimmer.

I dont mean to come off that harsh but common man, get a life.

B
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 11:38 PM   #42
BMW2006
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Montego Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesegal99 View Post
You can turn your lease into a buy antime you want. If you want out....just finance what you owe (buyout plus remaining lease payments) and turn around and sell it. You can actually make a profit with higher end cars if you have taken good care of it. I drive all over and have never had a problem with miles. 15k miles a year is alot....and if you buy it at the end of the lease who cares how many miles are on it....the bank doesn't!!!!
Pretty much true, although the calculation is Residual plus remaining payment(s), minus rent/depreciation. Leasing companies cannot charge rent and depreciation charges on months that haven't happened yet.

as an example, for those that Pre-pay thier leases, you will see you payoff drop down below residual , then as each month passes, the payoff goes up, since they can now claim the portion of your pre-paid money for rent charge.

So the real trick is , finding out what kind of financing you qualify for, and if it's worth switching to a loan where you accumulate interest daily, or sticking in the lease and financing the much lower balance at the end. where variations in rates won't be very damaging if the prime is higher than when you started the lease.

Keep in mind most states consider it a sale from leasing company to yourself and charge appropriate taxes, not that you don't have to pay taxes on a loan purchase, but many people forget that when figuring out their options.

-BMW2006
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 11:51 PM   #43
dkbimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

I lease my 335i through my business and I take care of it as if I purchased it. I do, however, agree that some who lease their cars do not take good care of them BUT many do. You can't say that all leased cars are treated like crap. That's not ture.

Delivered June 8, 2007 PCD
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 12:19 AM   #44
Zeeman
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 335 SG

Quote:
I do.

1. They usually don't maintain the car correctly (Oilchange atleast every 5,000 miles, Correct Tire Pressures, ect)

2. They usually drive mechanically aggressive and not caring about the future fate of the car as they will usually turn the car back in, in about 2 years.

3. You will never know if the former owner leased the vehicle.

So basically it comes down to luck of the draw for pre owned car buyers.

All I know if I was a leaser which I probably will never be. I will treat the car as it is my own. Change oil every 3,000 with top of the line oil (Royal Purple), drive mechanically safe most of the time and give the car some respect. So that the next owner may have an easier time.
so why don't you just buy a new one?
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread