E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Metallic Ticking noise coming from engine?

01-07-2008, 05:51 PM   #551
Arrowhead
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

I just drop my car to Fremont BMW this morning. SA said he will file PUMA case and have engineer to check my car. I printed out mishenka's cylinder head replacment to him as reference, but he said he doesn't know if I will get the replacment. It's all case by case.

I will see how it goes and will update. Maybe its time to talk to an attorney for lemon law.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 06:24 PM   #552
Xtype0
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi Special Edition

Garage List
2011 E90 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
I just drop my car to Fremont BMW this morning. SA said he will file PUMA case and have engineer to check my car. I printed out mishenka's cylinder head replacment to him as reference, but he said he doesn't know if I will get the replacment. It's all case by case.

I will see how it goes and will update. Maybe its time to talk to an attorney for lemon law.
Oh how I wish Canada had the lemon law.

'13 Kawasaki ZX-6R ABS
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2008, 10:07 PM   #553
garyhgaryh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Supercharged e30 M3

I picked up my car directly from the factory with 0.1 miles on it. I put 200 miles on it the next day, got outside to take pictures of the snow on the side of the road and noticed the ticking. My car is a 2008. I hope this ticking is "normal" and will go away once the engine is broken in.
Gary
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 12:30 PM   #554
Xtype0
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 E90 335xi  [0.00]
So the dealership finally heard it and the BMW HQ tech has authorized a replacement of a cylinder head. It'll take a few days to do the swap so we'll see what this new cylinder head will do about the ticking noise.

'13 Kawasaki ZX-6R ABS
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 11:52 PM   #555
Arrowhead
Private
Rep

UPDATED! Car is back from dealer after one week and they replaced 3 lifters due to the lifters collapsed..they didnt do the cylinder head replacement. Serivce manager said this will fix the ticking after that...we will see then

Btw, he said he is going to order M Aerodynamic Kit for me b/c of the inconvenience But he didnt say what he going to do if the ticking comes back after this.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 01:54 PM   #556
Xtype0
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 E90 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
UPDATED! Car is back from dealer after one week and they replaced 3 lifters due to the lifters collapsed..they didnt do the cylinder head replacement. Serivce manager said this will fix the ticking after that...we will see then

Btw, he said he is going to order M Aerodynamic Kit for me b/c of the inconvenience But he didnt say what he going to do if the ticking comes back after this.
Is the Service Mgr. throwing it in for free or just at cost? How'd you score that? I have to kill just to get a BMW loaner and not a rental, not to mention scoring something free out of this.

'13 Kawasaki ZX-6R ABS
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 03:20 PM   #557
italiano1980
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325I (E90)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Bimmer06 View Post
if you want i will scan my dealer work order do you can they that they replacede everything just like they did to Mishenka
Hey...MiamiBimmer06...what dealership in Miami did you go to??? I just discovered this post a few weeks ago and want to take my car in. I think I am having this ticking problem. It sounds like the wave file posted early in this post except the noise in my car is a little fainter. I noticed it from the first day i got the car 3 years ago but the dealer told me it was normal. I never thought much of it because it never got worse, but it was always there...it happens more when it is cold...but even when it is warmed up...it is faintly there.

thanks for the help
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 04:15 PM   #558
Arrowhead
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtype0 View Post
Is the Service Mgr. throwing it in for free or just at cost? How'd you score that? I have to kill just to get a BMW loaner and not a rental, not to mention scoring something free out of this.
Looks like Canada dealer is a big Ass@#$. I always get loaner while the car is in service. But i do make the request 2 days earlier everytime i need service!

Everything is free (painted and installed). I dont need to pay a dime but i am still waiting for the kit though. I called BMWNA to complain and have them to call the service manager how unhappy I am consider a loyal customer.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 04:56 PM   #559
Xtype0
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 E90 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Looks like Canada dealer is a big Ass@#$. I always get loaner while the car is in service. But i do make the request 2 days earlier everytime i need service!

Everything is free (painted and installed). I dont need to pay a dime but i am still waiting for the kit though. I called BMWNA to complain and have them to call the service manager how unhappy I am consider a loyal customer.
Well, atleast you got something out of it. I just called them today and they said they reassembled the car and started it but it sounds like an asthma patient while idling..........

So they have to retrace what they did and do some rework. I hope they screw it up so much that they have to give me a new one. I'm just getting very tired of this.

'13 Kawasaki ZX-6R ABS
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 07:55 PM   #560
Alpine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Winter is back and so is my ticking.

When Hell freezes over, BMW Nashville will give me the M-Tech kit.
      01-22-2008, 08:27 PM   #561
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Yeah when its really cold outside the ticking starts when i first start the car, but after a while it is less noticeable or no longer ticking...I think its just the time it takes the oil to heat up to lube the lifters...who knows but I heard it on all the new cars too so i am not really bothered by it..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 08:27 PM   #562
ages944
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Yeah, mine's ticking again pretty much daily now.

Was at the 30k service today, and they said they could not replicate. Starting to think they're just plain lying, because I love how the car magically behaves itself whenever it gets near the dealership. Yeah, right.

Mods: Blacklines | Rear Seat Power Outlets | Rear Fog Lights | Ashtray Garage Door Opener
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 08:55 PM   #563
Alpine
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ages944 View Post
Yeah, mine's ticking again pretty much daily now.

Was at the 30k service today, and they said they could not replicate. Starting to think they're just plain lying, because I love how the car magically behaves itself whenever it gets near the dealership. Yeah, right.
For me, I think its the truth. See, I have to drive on the interstate to get to my dealer, so my rpm's are up and the "bleeding" procedure is happening. When I finally get to my dealer, the lifters are all lubed up, and it takes about a week for them to tick again. Ugh...
      01-22-2008, 10:41 PM   #564
gentooguy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Alpine White

Exclamation Ticking problem pretty much solved!!!

Well I have had the same problem that all of you have been having. However, after hearing from the service center and BMW of North America telling me it is normal I decided to take matters into my own hands! I did not want some stupid service tech opening up my engine because from what I have seen when most of them should be working at McDonalds anyway. Here is what I have done to pretty much completely cure my valve tick. After trying the bleeding procedure which I don't recommend people to do because of stress to the engine when not moving, (stupid idea on my part), I decided to do an oil change. Originally I had the factory BMW 5W-30 oil I was having ticking when the car was cold and when the oil heated up and got thinner the ticking went away. I then switched to Mobile 1's 0W-40 after a lot of research. To my surprise this fully resolved my ticking problem when the engine was cold due to the thinner oil when cold. However, when the oil got warmer it thickened, enhancing protection to the engine but causing the tick to come back when warm. However it was much quieter than the cold tick. I then realized that the perfect oil to use for this engine would be German Castrol Edge 0W-30. The 0 would be great for the cold weather due to it being thin. Therefore on cold starts you have better circulation of oil. No tick there. Then with 30 when the oil heats up it is not too thick and just the right weight. Therefore there should be no tick when the engine heats up either. The only thing I don't like about 30 is that my engine ran much hotter with 5W-30 and 0W-30 then with 0W-40. The 40 seems to protect the engine much better and stays cooler longer. My engine temps with Mobile 1 0W-40 never exceeded 230 whereas with 5W-30 I saw temps as high as 260 and 270. I had minimal ticking with 0W-40 but with 0W-30 I have no ticking. Another thing you can do is use 0W-40 with some Rislone or AutoRx, (don't use more than half a quart), this will ensure a clean engine and will thin the 0W-40 a bit. Keep in mind though that synthetics already have cleaning agents of their own. All oils that I have used are BMW approved and have the label on the back for the approval. They are of course also approved for turbocharged engines. From what I understand the ticking is not harmful and most 335's do it but it is definitely annoying. I know that the camhead was changed in 08 models but it still occurs. However ticking is harmful if it is consistent with RPM's when revving the engine, it will sound more like a rod knock than tick, In that case definitely you will need to replace the valve lifters, rods, etc..
I hope this helps people! It sure helped me!!!! Now I just have to get my brake squealing under control.

Last edited by gentooguy; 01-22-2008 at 10:48 PM.. Reason: added content
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 01:44 AM   #565
Alpine
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentooguy View Post

Well I have had the same problem that all of you have been having. However, after hearing from the service center and BMW of North America telling me it is normal I decided to take matters into my own hands! I did not want some stupid service tech opening up my engine because from what I have seen when most of them should be working at McDonalds anyway. Here is what I have done to pretty much completely cure my valve tick. After trying the bleeding procedure which I don't recommend people to do because of stress to the engine when not moving, (stupid idea on my part), I decided to do an oil change. Originally I had the factory BMW 5W-30 oil I was having ticking when the car was cold and when the oil heated up and got thinner the ticking went away. I then switched to Mobile 1's 0W-40 after a lot of research. To my surprise this fully resolved my ticking problem when the engine was cold due to the thinner oil when cold. However, when the oil got warmer it thickened, enhancing protection to the engine but causing the tick to come back when warm. However it was much quieter than the cold tick. I then realized that the perfect oil to use for this engine would be German Castrol Edge 0W-30. The 0 would be great for the cold weather due to it being thin. Therefore on cold starts you have better circulation of oil. No tick there. Then with 30 when the oil heats up it is not too thick and just the right weight. Therefore there should be no tick when the engine heats up either. The only thing I don't like about 30 is that my engine ran much hotter with 5W-30 and 0W-30 then with 0W-40. The 40 seems to protect the engine much better and stays cooler longer. My engine temps with Mobile 1 0W-40 never exceeded 230 whereas with 5W-30 I saw temps as high as 260 and 270. I had minimal ticking with 0W-40 but with 0W-30 I have no ticking. Another thing you can do is use 0W-40 with some Rislone or AutoRx, (don't use more than half a quart), this will ensure a clean engine and will thin the 0W-40 a bit. Keep in mind though that synthetics already have cleaning agents of their own. All oils that I have used are BMW approved and have the label on the back for the approval. They are of course also approved for turbocharged engines. From what I understand the ticking is not harmful and most 335's do it but it is definitely annoying. I know that the camhead was changed in 08 models but it still occurs. However ticking is harmful if it is consistent with RPM's when revving the engine, it will sound more like a rod knock than tick, In that case definitely you will need to replace the valve lifters, rods, etc..
I hope this helps people! It sure helped me!!!! Now I just have to get my brake squealing under control.

How long has it been since you changed to 0W-30? For me, when my engine is revved up for a long period of time, the ticking doesn't come back for about a week. Not trying to burst your bubble, but it might be the case. If not.. Woohoo!
      01-23-2008, 06:27 PM   #566
gentooguy
Private
United_States
Rep

It has been a little more than a month now. I have to say that I am really pleased with the way the engine sounds now. Sounds much healthier when cold and warm. Btw, I experienced the same when pushing my car hard while on BMW (Castrol) 5W-30 I could get the ticking to go away for a few days but it would come back. What engine oil are you using currently?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 08:06 PM   #567
msinfo_us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335Xi ZSP, ZCW, PDC

Quote:

Do you have an oil cooler? And if you don't mind expanding on the 08 new camhead? Thank you.
      01-23-2008, 09:15 PM   #568
Alpine
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
It has been a little more than a month now. I have to say that I am really pleased with the way the engine sounds now. Sounds much healthier when cold and warm. Btw, I experienced the same when pushing my car hard while on BMW (Castrol) 5W-30 I could get the ticking to go away for a few days but it would come back. What engine oil are you using currently?
I have whatever oil was originally in my car from BMW. I assume 5W-30. Where did you buy the 0W-30?
      01-23-2008, 09:33 PM   #569
gentooguy
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
I have whatever oil was originally in my car from BMW. I assume 5W-30. Where did you buy the 0W-30?
I think you can buy German Castrol 0W-30 at AutoZone otherwise you will have to special order it.
See link here:

Castrol Edge 0W-30

However Mobil 1 0W-40 you can get at any AutoZone or AdvanceAutoParts stores.

Just make sure that BMW approves the oil you are going to use or you risk voiding your warranty. Look for BMW-LL01 or BMW-LL04 on the label at back.
I would stick with Castrol Edge 0W-30 as BMW has some kind of deal with Castrol.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 09:59 PM   #570
gentooguy
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msinfo_us View Post
Do you have an oil cooler? And if you don't mind expanding on the 08 new camhead? Thank you.
I do not have an oil cooler nor do I need one. I have never experienced limp home mode. I push my car quite hard occasionally but I don't race.
I was told by several people at BMW that they redesigned the cam head in 08 to help improve oil circulation at the top of the engine. However, from what I have heard from people who have the 08 models theirs also tick. The ticking is quite common for these types of engines and only poses a problem if the ticking is more like a knocking is very loud and is consistent with revs or rpms as in the video here:
Ticks with rev
If you have a ticking like that get to your service center asap.
Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 11:19 PM   #571
Alpine
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
I do not have an oil cooler nor do I need one. I have never experienced limp home mode. I push my car quite hard occasionally but I don't race.
I was told by several people at BMW that they redesigned the cam head in 08 to help improve oil circulation at the top of the engine. However, from what I have heard from people who have the 08 models theirs also tick. The ticking is quite common for these types of engines and only poses a problem if the ticking is more like a knocking is very loud and is consistent with revs or rpms as in the video here:
Ticks with rev
Good Luck!
I think we all have ticking like that. I know I do. Multiple service center have said its normal. (Not mine because mine won't replicate in shop)

Apparently your ticking was not like that. Was yours not consistent with the revs/rpms?
      01-24-2008, 01:45 AM   #572
ages944
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Ticks with rev
Good Luck!

ahhh, young grasshopper....

That is the tick I started the thread over.
My dealership told me yesterday that the tick "should quiet as engine warms."
This is the same dealership that replaced my valve lifters almost 2yrs ago.

Mods: Blacklines | Rear Seat Power Outlets | Rear Fog Lights | Ashtray Garage Door Opener
Appreciate 0