E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Is the Ford EcoBoost like an N54, but better?

05-18-2009, 12:21 AM   #45
fightinchunk
Soccer Mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 Volvo V70 T5

everyone has to remember... this drivetrain is going to be shit. front wheel drive platform + awd just doesn't work. unless there is an actual center diff like the evo... it'll just plain suck. trust me... the rentals have a s60r
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 09:01 AM   #46
Draman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 650i, G05 X5, Taycan turbo

They should make a performance version of the Fusion rather than the Taurus. I know the Taurus is the name with SHO history, but good god, the Taurus is so horribly boring looking. I don't think the Fusion is particularly good looking either, but it at least has some sporty characteristics to it. A Fusion with a solid body kit could probably be made to look good; I don't think anything will make the stodgy Taurus look remotely sporty or interesting.

G05 X5 m50i Mineral White / Tartufo

Porsche Taycan Turbo Carrara White / Limestone Beige
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 09:05 AM   #47
Scimitar335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by carve View Post
I'm aware you can adjust the timing and sacrifice a little power to run a lower octane. Nevertheless, BMW specifies 91 octane is required, 87 for Ford (it runs a slightly lower compression ratio). I imagine the 355 hp (365 SHO) is on 91, but that means it's probably still putting out more power than the N54 on 87...at least no less if you think it's overrated and the N54 underrated (not unreasonable). The 3.5 has a bit more displacement to work with, but a lower redline. The N54 still pumps more air (via positive displacement) at redline than the Ecoboost, so I'm surprised the Ecoboost is more powerful. It must be running 12 psi stock (mentioned eariler), compared to our 8.5 or 9. I wonder if that's all the stock turbos can handle?

Having a wide, three cylinder long block is easier to make stiff. The crankshaft is also easier to make stiff when it's so much shorter. Definite tuning advantages (and also a big reason you never see straight 8's anymore, besides packaging).

I'm also curious which package will weigh more. No real way to tell, although those exhaust manifolds look heavy. I like the N54, and it is THE reason I got a 335i, but this ecoboost looks really nice...it's hard to argue that more power won't be better.

Lets look at the known/almost certain (not wild speculation) advantages and disadvantages, and then the unknowns.

EcoBoost
+More Powerful
+Less expensive (almost certain)
+More flexible packaging
+likely stiffer block (almost certain)
+designed to run fine on 87 (no warranty issues, etc.)
+Eventual ability in significantly more affordable cars (not so much in 1st year)

-Ford's first try at a DI Turbo
-Not as inherently well balanced as a straight 6
-unknown reliability

N54
+theoretically injests more air (3LX7000/2=10500, 3.5*5750/2=1063, therefore more potential to make use of compressed air from turbos at a given PSI
+smoother/better balanced
+Designed to take full advantage of premium fuel
+Several years more "mature"
+I6 sound
+Available in WAY nicer cars

-Less powerful
-More expensive
-some proven reliability issues (HPFP, VANOS issues, wastegate issues)
-BMW's first try at a DI Turbo
-Premium fuel required in all but emergencies

I don't know...looks like Ford is in the lead there. Here are unknowns...

Reliability (long term)
Operating costs (likely to favor Ford, but not necessarily)
Weight
real stock HP delta
max tuning potential
-You seem pretty sold on it. I take it you'll be trading in your 335i for one?
      05-18-2009, 10:16 AM   #48
carve
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimitar335i View Post
-You seem pretty sold on it. I take it you'll be trading in your 335i for one?
No- I would not trade my entire 335i for an engine. Cars contain many parts besides the engine. Try to be objective.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 11:55 AM   #49
Zeph
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i 6MT SGM CR/BD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draman View Post
They should make a performance version of the Fusion rather than the Taurus. I know the Taurus is the name with SHO history, but good god, the Taurus is so horribly boring looking. I don't think the Fusion is particularly good looking either, but it at least has some sporty characteristics to it. A Fusion with a solid body kit could probably be made to look good; I don't think anything will make the stodgy Taurus look remotely sporty or interesting.
I agree with you here, the Fusion is the 1st Ford I have ever seen that actually looks fairly modern and sporty. I was surprised when I first saw one. Still a F-Ford which I won't own, but I give them props for coming around in the past few years
Appreciate 0