E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > MHD flasher keeps failing, please help!

04-07-2018, 07:27 AM   #45
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dealer View Post
Write protected would probably be a better term. Don't know how I could go about getting it removed, but I literally just did the MSD81 upgrade 2 days before I tried mhd and don't really want to sink another $500 bucks into finding another one and having it synced with my cas/key. I'd rather drop that on a jb4 and have some fun.
If you purchased this DME from someone other than a dealer, they used tools to make it work with your car. It sounds like they left the DME in a state that does not play well with MHD.

With my limited knowledge, I'll try to explain.

All of the BMW modules are programmable over ODB using BMW tools. This is how BMW utilizes common modules and gives them an update tool when new software released.

The BMW tools utilize several security keys/protocols to protect the hardware. These are a Seed and response authentication that BMWs tools utilize to gain access to modules over ODB. There are several security levels on each module.

The security key only provides access to flash and read the DME, the main defense against unauthorized software is the RSA signature check performed after an ODB flash. At the end of the flash process, the program will check the new data and confirm the RSA signature, if the check fails the DME will switch into a "recovery state", often mistaken for a Bricked DME.

Most of the time when some one talks about an "unlocked" DME they are referring to an RSA defeat. When you have the RSA defeated, you can flash custom files/tunes over ODB without the proper BMW RSA signature. The RSA signature is too difficult to calculate with existing personal computers.

Some of the tuners and aftermarket flash tools will modify the ODB access security keys to prohibit access to certain levels. Once the key has been changed from the BMW original, there is little chance in bypassing them using other ODB tools.

It may be possible to use BMW tools Winfkp / expert mode to flash the DME back to stock but I would not attempt that without some form of a back up plan if the flash fails to authenticate. It's simply impossible to know what modifications have been made to your DME program.

I would try to read the DME using BMW tools such as INPA and Winfkp diagnostic tools to see if you have any access to the DME.

If those tools don't work, go back to your DME vender and push them for a resolution.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 08:39 AM   #46
The_Dealer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
If you purchased this DME from someone other than a dealer, they used tools to make it work with your car. It sounds like they left the DME in a state that does not play well with MHD.

All of the BMW modules are programmable over ODB using BMW tools. This is how BMW utilizes common modules and gives them an update tool when new software released.

The BMW tools utilize several security keys/protocols to protect the hardware. These are a Seed and response authentication that BMWs tools utilize to gain access to modules over ODB. There are several security levels on each module.

The security key only provides access to flash and read the DME, the main defense against unauthorized software is the RSA signature check performed after an ODB flash. At the end of the flash process, the program will check the new data and confirm the RSA signature, if the check fails the DME will switch into a "recovery state", often mistaken for a Bricked DME.

Most of the time when some one talks about an "unlocked" DME they are referring to an RSA defeat. When you have the RSA defeated, you can flash custom files/tunes over ODB without the proper BMW RSA signature. The RSA signature is too difficult to calculate with existing personal computers.

Some of the tuners and aftermarket flash tools will modify the ODB access security keys to prohibit access to certain levels. Once the key has been changed from the BMW original, there is little chance in bypassing them using other ODB tools.

It may be possible to use BMW tools Winfkp / expert mode to flash the DME back to stock but I would not attempt that without some form of a back up plan if the flash fails to authenticate. It's simply impossible to know what modifications have been made to your DME program.

I would try to read the DME using BMW tools such as INPA and Winfkp diagnostic tools to see if you have any access to the DME.

If those tools don't work, go back to your DME vender and push them for a resolution.
Well I got the dme used then sent it to this this company along with my cas/key https://m.ebay.com/itm/BMW-MSD80-MSD81-DME-Upgrade-Cloning-Matching-Service/263541468022?_mwBanner=1

The company I sent the dme to swears up and down they don't do write protection so I'm not sure what to do other than try to find another dme and have a different company do the sync. I still have my msd80, so maybe another option would be to send that one off for repair. I was getting a constant ambient pressure sensor code with my msd80
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 05:57 AM   #47
mfractal
VAG Survivor
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Quote:

Well I got the dme used then sent it to this this company along with my cas/key https://m.ebay.com/itm/BMW-MSD80-MSD...22?_mwBanner=1

The company I sent the dme to swears up and down they don't do write protection so I'm not sure what to do other than try to find another dme and have a different company do the sync. I still have my msd80, so maybe another option would be to send that one off for repair. I was getting a constant ambient pressure sensor code with my msd80
If I were you I'd contact the company and as for my money back nicely. You are protected by Ebay buyer protection and should get your money back easily. After all they sold you an ECU that is not behaving as any other N54 ECU. Once you get your money back purchase a MSD81 upgrade service from one of the reputable guys (can get you references) and install it.
I know it will require a bit of downtime on your part but it'll be worth it eventually. You don't know what else you'll discover isn't working with this ECU down the road...

Edit: I just re-read your post and saw you got the ECU and the unlocking service in separate places. That might complicate my suggestion as we don't know who's at fault here, ecu seller or the coder.
      04-08-2018, 08:54 AM   #48
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfractal View Post
If I were you I'd contact the company and as for my money back nicely. You are protected by Ebay buyer protection and should get your money back easily. After all they sold you an ECU that is not behaving as any other N54 ECU. Once you get your money back purchase a MSD81 upgrade service from one of the reputable guys (can get you references) and install it.
I know it will require a bit of downtime on your part but it'll be worth it eventually. You don't know what else you'll discover isn't working with this ECU down the road...

Edit: I just re-read your post and saw you got the ECU and the unlocking service in separate places. That might complicate my suggestion as we don't know who's at fault here, ecu seller or the coder.
It will be the company that synced the CAS/keys with the DME. It's possible the replacement DME was locked however the company that paired the CAS should have insured all of the DME programming was in order. It's likely they just pushed in the CAS keys over BDM and never looked at anything else. I would have used a known doner DME for the program and calibration file or rebuilt them from the BMW Daten files.

Either way I can't imaging a reputable company not wanting to help you. Be polite and give them all of the information they need. I see they have a 100% reputation, I'd bet they like to keep that.

Have you tried reading the DME with BMW standard tools, INPA, Tool32 Winfkp? Can you do a UIF read?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 12:50 PM   #49
The_Dealer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
It will be the company that synced the CAS/keys with the DME. It's possible the replacement DME was locked however the company that paired the CAS should have insured all of the DME programming was in order. It's likely they just pushed in the CAS keys over BDM and never looked at anything else. I would have used a known doner DME for the program and calibration file or rebuilt them from the BMW Daten files.

Either way I can't imaging a reputable company not wanting to help you. Be polite and give them all of the information they need. I see they have a 100% reputation, I'd bet they like to keep that.

Have you tried reading the DME with BMW standard tools, INPA, Tool32 Winfkp? Can you do a UIF read?
Haven't tried that, how would I do it? I've got all the BMW tools as well as ISTA D
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 06:47 PM   #50
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Haven't tried that, how would I do it? I've got all the BMW tools as well as ISTA D
I'm a little reluctant to say much. You lack of knowledge can get you into serious problems pretty quickly.

Try INPA and select E90
Engine
MSD 80

Then look for a menu that pulls up memory and try reading the UIF section. That should be a start.

Would not hurt if you did some research on how to use iNPA and winfkp.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 02:00 PM   #51
The_Dealer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I'm a little reluctant to say much. You lack of knowledge can get you into serious problems pretty quickly.

Try INPA and select E90
Engine
MSD 80

Then look for a menu that pulls up memory and try reading the UIF section. That should be a start.

I'll try that when I get home. Shouldn't I select msd81 though instead of msd80? I've used inpa and winkfp before, just never tried to read u if before
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 05:56 PM   #52
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Try INPA and select E90
Engine
MSD 80

I'll try that when I get home. Shouldn't I select msd81 though instead of msd80? I've used inpa and winkfp before, just never tried to read u if before
Ya, sure if you have MSD81 option use it instead.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 02:00 PM   #53
The_Dealer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well I ended up finding a BMW ecu place around Atlanta (about an hr away) that can get rid of the write protection and do an mhd flash for me. Seems like that's the best way to go
Appreciate 0