E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > SOLVED! – DSC issues after manual swap

02-01-2022, 01:15 PM   #45
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

I didn't say physically disconnect it. I meant disabling the DME's response to DSC requests. there's switches specifically for that.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 02:26 PM   #46
TyroneShoelaces
Captain
Rep
Drives: E91 N54 swapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
I didn't say physically disconnect it. I meant disabling the DME's response to DSC requests. there's switches specifically for that.
Yes sorry for my wording there. I was wonder if e90yyc had done that. My comment about unplugging the dsc connector was in response to him suggesting that.

I'm wondering where that is done for disabling dme response. I assume in ISTA. I haven't gotten ISTA going yet. I have standard tools but INPA works but NCSExpert won't connect, I always get Vin is faulty error. Protools seems to work ok but I'll bet I cant tell the DME to ignore dsc in that software.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 03:18 PM   #47
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Okay wait are we talking about the physical switch, as in just long-pressing the DTC button? Or something on the software/coding side?

TyroneShoelaces When I would turn DSC off using the switch, my issue would go away, but since cruise control will not activate when DSC is off, there was no way for me to test that side of the issue. I had determined in all likelihood it was a bad DSC module back in August last year, and picked up a replacement, but I just got around to swapping it recently.

I doubt i have anything of value to offer you, but if I was in your position I’d start by making sure I have a compatible DSC module, and then go from there. (From what you said it sounded like maybe the one you had was too old/not compatible? Not sure.)
      02-01-2022, 08:37 PM   #48
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyroneShoelaces View Post
Yes sorry for my wording there. I was wonder if e90yyc had done that. My comment about unplugging the dsc connector was in response to him suggesting that.

I'm wondering where that is done for disabling dme response. I assume in ISTA. I haven't gotten ISTA going yet. I have standard tools but INPA works but NCSExpert won't connect, I always get Vin is faulty error. Protools seems to work ok but I'll bet I cant tell the DME to ignore dsc in that software.
You have to modify the calibration, it's not something you can do with coding.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 08:41 PM   #49
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90yyc View Post
Okay wait are we talking about the physical switch, as in just long-pressing the DTC button? Or something on the software/coding side?

TyroneShoelaces When I would turn DSC off using the switch, my issue would go away, but since cruise control will not activate when DSC is off, there was no way for me to test that side of the issue. I had determined in all likelihood it was a bad DSC module back in August last year, and picked up a replacement, but I just got around to swapping it recently.

I doubt i have anything of value to offer you, but if I was in your position I’d start by making sure I have a compatible DSC module, and then go from there. (From what you said it sounded like maybe the one you had was too old/not compatible? Not sure.)
My wording was bad too, lol. There's no physical switch you can use (even with DSC off, the DME is still communicating with the DSC computer). I meant like a logical switch in the calibration that you can turn off to ignore the DSC. basically swapping 1s and 0s in hex code. But the DME can definitely run without the DSC being physically present, or none of the N52/N54 swaps I've helped with would work.

Anyway, it's kind of irrelevant to you now that you've solved the issue (I think even with disabling DSC on the DME, it would have still not worked right). It was sort of a last ditch, grasping at straws idea I had that might help.
Appreciate 1
e90yyc2482.50
      02-01-2022, 09:41 PM   #50
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Glad it got working! What an odd coincidence.

Don't mind me furiously perusing this thread to see if I can revive the cruise control function on my 128i no-MAF tune. Or hijacking the thread (it's okay since the problem is solved right? )

Probably a completed unrelated issue though. But I'm also grasping at straws here. RealOEM does say the DSC unit was superceded in 09/2008, which my car is like an 07/2008. But I tested the noMAF tune on my friend's 2011 128i and it also disabled cruise. Maybe I should just toss a newer DSC in for the hell of it (maybe not lol). Whooooooooooooooooo knows. Must be a 1 series thing.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 12:21 AM   #51
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman123 View Post
Glad it got working! What an odd coincidence.

Don't mind me furiously perusing this thread to see if I can revive the cruise control function on my 128i no-MAF tune. Or hijacking the thread (it's okay since the problem is solved right? )

Probably a completed unrelated issue though. But I'm also grasping at straws here. RealOEM does say the DSC unit was superceded in 09/2008, which my car is like an 07/2008. But I tested the noMAF tune on my friend's 2011 128i and it also disabled cruise. Maybe I should just toss a newer DSC in for the hell of it (maybe not lol). Whooooooooooooooooo knows. Must be a 1 series thing.
I scoured every parameter and memory value I could find in the disassembly for cruise control to look for differences. I couldn't find any differences at all, at least as far as the calibration is concerned.

it probably doesn't help that I almost never use cruise control, even on longer trips, so my motivation just isn't there.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 05:28 AM   #52
TyroneShoelaces
Captain
Rep
Drives: E91 N54 swapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
it probably doesn't help that I almost never use cruise control, even on longer trips, so my motivation just isn't there.

Same here. I couldn't care less about cruise. FL roads are usually too busy and with a wide range of drivers from maniac to geriatric. The middle lane is the slow lane, the right lane is for passing and exiting and the left lane is for cruising at speeds anywhere from 5 below the speed limit to 40 above.

Also my adhd says I can't cruise along and wait for slower cars to move over to the right (because they don't usually) so I'm always shuffling around the lanes.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2024, 06:29 PM   #53
jbash87
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M5, 2012 X5d, 2008 E91

Garage List
2012 BMW X5 35d  [10.00]
2006 BMW M5  [10.00]
I know this thread is old, but I wanted to extend a huge thank you to e90yyc . I had the same experience after a manual swap and replacing the ABS pump/DSC module (they're one unit) fixed the issue. Thank you!

I will add, though, that if you find this thread in the future you might try something first. I noticed that when I swapped the module it had a "lower" ZB number and wouldn't let me update it with the "latest". Maybe try running the "lower" ZB prior replacing the pump/dsc module?

The unit I pulled was running ZB 6783295. The unit I replaced it with is 6780162, and works as it should.
Appreciate 1
e90yyc2482.50
      05-24-2024, 05:47 AM   #54
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbash87 View Post
I know this thread is old, but I wanted to extend a huge thank you to e90yyc . I had the same experience after a manual swap and replacing the ABS pump/DSC module (they're one unit) fixed the issue. Thank you!

I will add, though, that if you find this thread in the future you might try something first. I noticed that when I swapped the module it had a "lower" ZB number and wouldn't let me update it with the "latest". Maybe try running the "lower" ZB prior replacing the pump/dsc module?

The unit I pulled was running ZB 6783295. The unit I replaced it with is 6780162, and works as it should.
Glad this helped!!

I also find it really interesting that you also had this issue after a manual swap…

After (finally…) discovering that a replacement DSC module solved my issues, I chalked the whole thing up to coincidence. I thought perhaps I had damaged it during the swap—static discharge maybe?—but that the swap itself had nothing to do with it.

Your experience makes me wonder if that’s necessarily the case…

Any theories here? Think it’s just a compatibility issue and not necessarily outright failure?

(I did pay attention to ZB numbers when in the midst of searching for a replacement, but can’t recall how the ZB number of the replacement compared to the original.)