E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > solved no crank no start

02-11-2024, 10:49 PM   #45
Kriterzz
Rep
Drives: 2011 323i (e90)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bims328i View Post
I think you should be able to pry the crimp back and maybe desolder it from the wire but need close clear pics to see. Are you touching the screen to focus the interconnect? Sometimes if you use the closeup tree icon thing you have to back it away some for best clarity.

When uploading pics if you can resize with affinity or photoshop to 720-900px they will come out much better.

Soldering would provide the best connection to be honest. Just make sure you have an iron that can maintain a set temp. When and if desoldering make sure you apply ample flux to facilitate removal.

My question is, how did it get bent out like that? Sounds like it is still getting bent even after you fix it. Maybe the pin was removed and reinserted on the wrong axis on the opposite interconnect?
here are some of the same connectors pulled out of donor units i found at the scrap yard (this is what it looks like when the wire is removed from the green shroud) i’m not sure how it got bent to begin with but i can’t imagine bending it over and over helps with its connectivity lol so i plan to pull mine out cut the wire solder this length of wire back in and insert it into the green shroud id rather have a “new” part in there then continuing to bend it and hope it maintains a good connection. i’m sure if i bend it tight enough it’ll connect well and hold on but i fear damaging the male part of the pin on the ebox side. i will get a better look at the one that is currently in the car once i pull it to replace it with this one and report back with how it looks. i will do my best to not damage if any further upon removal as to show what the issue was. really weird issue and not sure what caused it in all honesty. before this started happening i had taken my car in for a recall to do with the blow by heater but i doubt they would’ve damaged something especially as peculiar and specific as this. we’ll see if this also completely solved my intermittent no crank which i imagine it will. many questions will be answered tomorrow and i want to thank everyone from now for all the help and feedback thus far, you guys are all great.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 11:36 PM   #46
Bims328i
DIYer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i E90 SULEV

Nice! Roger that. That might be the better alternative but still we are curious what has made the connector spread out like that? Hopefully the replacement female pin socket will solve the issue.

It could even be since it was not making good connection it formed another layer that makes it lose connection more often. Unrelated but I had this happen with the aftermarket headlamp assembly (just oem aftermarket) side marker.

The connection was poor and thus it carved out a cavity in the metal which I filled with solder then sanded down smooth and have had no issues since.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 11:42 PM   #47
Bims328i
DIYer
United_States
Rep

Just to clarify we are trying to press as to why it got bent in the first place. That shouldn't happen. Also if it occurs after you bend it back then it must be doing something strange. Best regards, hope you get it sorted out!
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2024, 12:23 PM   #48
Kriterzz
Rep

quick little update to those who are interested. i removed the connector from my car and found something interesting (see image) it seems that it spat out its guts. *i made sure not to damage it when removing so we can see what went on in there*
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 09:44 AM   #49
Kriterzz
Rep

alright so we’ve pinpointed the issue. i changed wire on that connector now and that’s all good BUT i still get no crank no start. if i wiggle that connector i can start the car leading me to believe that the connector is not staying in its place resulting in it not making good contact after a drive. i’ve inspected it and all looks good it just sometimes won’t make contact well enough to engage the starter. any ideas why this could happen or possible fixes?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 09:39 PM   #50
Bims328i
DIYer
United_States
Rep

Inspect the pin on other side of the two interconnects. It could be causing the issue to begin with.

When you take the picture, gotta try to make sure the focus is on the thing. Need detail.

In most the pictures, it is really difficult to tell. Can see other things in image better.

Also, if you have the means try to resize images to around 720-900p as they will show up in the forum much better.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2024, 11:48 AM   #51
Bmw1939
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2011 328i, 2008 BMW X3

Did we finally solve this problem?
Appreciate 0