E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > How long do you plan to keep your E90 for?

01-11-2018, 09:42 PM   #45
BVH_Tony
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E91 6MT RWD

110k to the clock, N52. I'll keep it for a while. I have no worries it'll get to 160k at least.

I like it, and it treats me well.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 08:19 AM   #46
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Forever, imho it's actually a better car than what's produced nowadays, plus carfax on my phone says its worth $7k? there's no way you can take $7k, and buy a car this nice, and I wouldn't give it to anyone for double that price. I'm the original owner to put things into context.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 09:31 AM   #47
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVH_Tony View Post
110k to the clock, N52. I'll keep it for a while. I have no worries it'll get to 160k at least.

I like it, and it treats me well.
The only way it won't make 160K is if you wreck it. If you don't wreck it and get to 160, then you'll have another 200,000 miles to try and break it.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 10:19 AM   #48
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
The only way it won't make 160K is if you wreck it. If you don't wreck it and get to 160, then you'll have another 200,000 miles to try and break it.
This runs through my head every day with all the idiot drivers around me. If someone totals it, I will get nothing for this thing, and have to find another used one that likely will need a ton of maintenance.

The solution with my Jeep was to put heavy duty off-road bumpers and a lift on it. I was rear-ended a few months ago and it barely scratched the bumper while my trailer hitch destroyed the other driver's Corolla. Not really an option with the E90.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 10:59 AM   #49
J Dibbz
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Garage List
2008 BMW 328i  [0.00]
08 328i. Had the car for 3 years now. Love it. I'm roughly at 117K. Just had the VCG, OFHG and drive belt done. I will get another car as an addition in the future but, if possible, I won't get rid of the 08 328i. I want to keep it for life.
      01-12-2018, 11:57 AM   #50
BVH_Tony
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E91 6MT RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
This runs through my head every day with all the idiot drivers around me. If someone totals it, I will get nothing for this thing, and have to find another used one that likely will need a ton of maintenance.
Yeah, if the wagon gets totaled I've basically accepted that insurance probably won't get me enough to buy another. It books at like 1/2 to 1/3 of what they sell for.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 10:50 PM   #51
ny325
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E90

2008 and still going strong. I'm​ actually not tired of it. So, I plan to keep my E90 for a long time, especially the direction BMW is going with the current lineup of vehicles. IE: Electric steering, start/stop, and all the unnecessary bells and whistles.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 11:05 PM   #52
GMe90
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Coupe, ZSP, Premium

Garage List
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [6.00]
2007 BMW 328i  [10.00]
I have a 2007 with 92,000 Miles. I don't see myself getting rid of it anytime soon. It's paid off, drives just as well as new, looks just as good, and is now a classic car (NA inline 6 with MT). To me, the driving enjoyment of the car is still worth $40k plus. I will supplement the car with a 997 C2S next and keep building a car collection.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 11:49 PM   #53
M3nic
Private
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Just picked mine up at 72000 miles 328xi e90. Hopefully another ten years
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 12:36 AM   #54
sibhusz06
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3, 2012 X35I, 2007 911

2007 e91 328xi....151k now..just had to replace vc, and oil filter housing gaskets. Ive had the typical quirks of window motors, vc gaskets, suspension bushings, and sat module going out. Had to do typical maintenance such as brakes, suspension and tunes. Ive had a starter and alternator go out recently but that will happen over 100k on any car.....however I'm grateful that the transmission and engine have held up just fine. But once that happens, I'm out of the car.

These cars really aren't too bad to work on but they're obviously not for everyone. But i will say after 150k, the car feels pretty solid and hasn't fallen apart and doesn't feel tired , like the prior american and japanese cars I've had which feel tired and have a flimsy feel in the way they drive...
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 01:27 AM   #55
ladius
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 bmw 330i

I've got an '06 330i 6 mt that I bought in 2011 wit 23,000 miles on it. Now it's got 147,000 and running great. I've done a lot of maintenance on it, stuff typical for this car. Except for flat tires, it's never stranded me anywhere. When I think about what car would replace it, I can't think of anything that looks as good, is sporty rwd, fun to drive and offers the same level of practicality.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 05:39 AM   #56
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladius View Post
I've got an '06 330i 6 mt that I bought in 2011 wit 23,000 miles on it. Now it's got 147,000 and running great. I've done a lot of maintenance on it, stuff typical for this car. Except for flat tires, it's never stranded me anywhere. When I think about what car would replace it, I can't think of anything that looks as good, is sporty rwd, fun to drive and offers the same level of practicality.
I've been under this dilemma for few years now. When I bought my E90 in 2006 it replaced my 18-year old E30 that had clocked north of 256,000 miles. Looking back now, I errantly sold the E30, which was in great shape; I wish I had kept it, since they've become classics for some reason. But in my defense when you have a car for 18 years and 256K, and you can get a replacement that is just as good or better (IMO the E90 is) from your favorite manufacturer, keeping two cars nearly the same in regards to service level (i.e. both were sedans - the E30 was a 2-door however) didn't make sense at the time. I wanted a 4-door sedan anyway. Plus around my house in the woods, if you don't move your cars much, the critters decide they make great condos.

Now I'm at the same place with the E90, it's near 12 years old and 340,000 miles (just turned last night). But now it really is the last of the classic BMW format as you stated, great handling, I6, manual trans, RWD sports sedan, which is the only thing that has ever drawn me to BMW, which this makes me want to never part with the E90. I had never planned on driving the E90 175 miles a day when I bought it, but I changed jobs and doubled my commute about 18 months after I bought the E90. Again, I didn't want a 2nd car sitting around, so I didn't by something like a hybrid, which I did consider at the time. Plus, it's not like an E90 325i is a Ferrari or anything; it's a daily driver. Also, I figured I'd wear out the E90 in 8 years or so at 250,000 miles and buy BMW's next 3 series with great handling, a naturally-aspirated I6, manual trans with rear wheel drive. Presidents get elected, ridiculous EPA 52 MPG fuel mileage standards get mandated. Then BMW comes out with the F30... and I was WTF, where'd the 3-series go? So being the E90 was getting long in the tooth and I anticipated weeks of down time for repairs and trying to keep the miles down, I picked up a Z4 Coupe three years ago. The Z4 had 23K on it when I bought it. It's since collected another 52,000 since then. And I thought I'd want to drive it more than I do as a 2nd daily driver, but IT is now a rare BMW classic, irreplaceable since the NA I6 is dead and BMW needs Toyota to build the next Z. Again WTF BMW?... Toyota... OMFG.

So that leaves us where? Guys who want a simple non-M classic BMW sports sedan with a great (naturally-aspirated) engine, real foot-operated clutch, and rear wheel drive, where do we go? Nowhere. Cadillac is closest with the ATS. But dummies they are just couldn't drop in a manual trans with the V6. For some reason they decided to build the thing with a rental-fleet 2.5L 4-banger, a 2.0L turbo 4-banger (with a manual trans thankfully), and the 3.6L V6 without a manual trans option (even though the drivetrain was from the 1st gen CTS THAT HAD a manual V6 option). GM should have made two engine choices from the get-go with just the 2.0L turbo and the 3.6L V6, but offer both with a manual transmission. Had they done that, I think they would have mad headway against the 3-Series, especially with the F30 coming out a year later.

I've driven the ATS a lot, but just in 2.0L turbo form, both in auto and manual. As far as a driver's sports sedan it's heads above the F30. The back seat is a bit cramp and the CUE is a bit fussy (BFD I think idrive sucks too), but it is put together well and drives great. It is the current BMW 3-series IMO. I just test drove an ATS yesterday. I wanted to see if I liked GM's new 3.6L V6 /8-speed auto combo. It''s the closest thing to a 3-series. Only if it had a manual transmission, I would have bought it.

The classic sports sedan is dead IMO.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 07:14 AM   #57
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Quote:
Quote:
I've been under this dilemma for few years now. When I bought my E90 in 2006 it replaced my 18-year old E30 that had clocked north of 256,000 miles. Looking back now, I errantly sold the E30, which was in great shape; I wish I had kept it, since they've become classics for some reason. But in my defense when you have a car for 18 years and 256K, and you can get a replacement that is just as good or better (IMO the E90 is) from your favorite manufacturer, keeping two cars nearly the same in regards to service level (i.e. both were sedans - the E30 was a 2-door however) didn't make sense at the time. I wanted a 4-door sedan anyway. Plus around my house in the woods, if you don't move your cars much, the critters decide they make great condos.

Now I'm at the same place with the E90, it's near 12 years old and 340,000 miles (just turned last night). But now it really is the last of the classic BMW format as you stated, great handling, I6, manual trans, RWD sports sedan, which is the only thing that has ever drawn me to BMW, which this makes me want to never part with the E90. I had never planned on driving the E90 175 miles a day when I bought it, but I changed jobs and doubled my commute about 18 months after I bought the E90. Again, I didn't want a 2nd car sitting around, so I didn't by something like a hybrid, which I did consider at the time. Plus, it's not like an E90 325i is a Ferrari or anything; it's a daily driver. Also, I figured I'd wear out the E90 in 8 years or so at 250,000 miles and buy BMW's next 3 series with great handling, a naturally-aspirated I6, manual trans with rear wheel drive. Presidents get elected, ridiculous EPA 52 MPG fuel mileage standards get mandated. Then BMW comes out with the F30... and I was WTF, where'd the 3-series go? So being the E90 was getting long in the tooth and I anticipated weeks of down time for repairs and trying to keep the miles down, I picked up a Z4 Coupe three years ago. The Z4 had 23K on it when I bought it. It's since collected another 52,000 since then. And I thought I'd want to drive it more than I do as a 2nd daily driver, but IT is now a rare BMW classic, irreplaceable since the NA I6 is dead and BMW needs Toyota to build the next Z. Again WTF BMW?... Toyota... OMFG.

So that leaves us where? Guys who want a simple non-M classic BMW sports sedan with a great (naturally-aspirated) engine, real foot-operated clutch, and rear wheel drive, where do we go? Nowhere. Cadillac is closest with the ATS. But dummies they are just couldn't drop in a manual trans with the V6. For some reason they decided to build the thing with a rental-fleet 2.5L 4-banger, a 2.0L turbo 4-banger (with a manual trans thankfully), and the 3.6L V6 without a manual trans option (even though the drivetrain was from the 1st gen CTS THAT HAD a manual V6 option). GM should have made two engine choices from the get-go with just the 2.0L turbo and the 3.6L V6, but offer both with a manual transmission. Had they done that, I think they would have mad headway against the 3-Series, especially with the F30 coming out a year later.

I've driven the ATS a lot, but just in 2.0L turbo form, both in auto and manual. As far as a driver's sports sedan it's heads above the F30. The back seat is a bit cramp and the CUE is a bit fussy (BFD I think idrive sucks too), but it is put together well and drives great. It is the current BMW 3-series IMO. I just test drove an ATS yesterday. I wanted to see if I liked GM's new 3.6L V6 /8-speed auto combo. It''s the closest thing to a 3-series. Only if it had a manual transmission, I would have bought it.

This is a sad story and makes me want to
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 07:47 AM   #58
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needbmwpartzz View Post
This is a sad story and makes me want to
I'm so sorry.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2018, 09:43 AM   #59
phillycx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i sedan

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2009 328i with 95000 Miles. Just slid into a curb with the recent ice storm but other than that the regular maintenance/repairs. Planning on keeping it until the wheels fall off. We've been through some s**t together. Lol.
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2018, 11:39 AM   #60
RnmEvo9
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I plan on keeping my 07 335 with 110k miles for a very long time (possibly forever). It puts a smile on my face whenever I get behind the wheel and it's paid off.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 11:41 PM   #61
ladius
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 bmw 330i

Quote:

Was it you that posted at 250,000 miles or so? I remember reading that post and being inspired to own my e90 forever. All these new cars with so much electronics, I want to go back to "analog" cars from the 90s, like an e39 or even e34. I'm sure those cars are about the same size as the e90!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 12:08 AM   #62
Kevinl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 Alpine White 6MT

Forever just ordered 335is clutch and inlets for it has 71,000 miles and is paid off by the time i would consider getting rid of it it wont be worth anything so might as well keep it
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2018, 05:05 AM   #63
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Was it you that posted at 250,000 miles or so? I remember reading that post and being inspired to own my e90 forever. All these new cars with so much electronics, I want to go back to "analog" cars from the 90s, like an e39 or even e34. I'm sure those cars are about the same size as the e90!
I think I skipped 250,000 Couple of months and maybe I'll update at 350.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 06:26 AM   #64
Spitfire007
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 328i Sport 6MT

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVH_Tony View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
Yeah, if the wagon gets totaled I've basically accepted that insurance probably won't get me enough to buy another. It books at like 1/2 to 1/3 of what they sell for.
Keep in mind that you can show the insurance company local or national ads for a replacement e91, and they'll bump up what they give you.

Sister's Cherokee gets stolen.
Insurance wanted to pay out 1800. I got them up to 5900 since buying a replacement was going to cost that much.

NEVER take their first or even second offer.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 11:54 AM   #65
BMWs4ever
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

Garage List
2001.5 Passat GLX V6  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Wow what engine in the Passat?
And the BMW should last given you take care of her!
I have used synthetic oil on the car since day 1 when I bought it brand new. I don't over the mileage before I change the oil. The car is a V6 30 valve and when I removed the valve covers to do a cam tensioner on the engine it was totally clean no sludge what so ever

By the way you can see my Passat if you click on my garage. I have one pick of it along with my BMW car pics
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 12:17 PM   #66
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWs4ever View Post
Quote:
Wow what engine in the Passat?
And the BMW should last given you take care of her!
I have used synthetic oil on the car since day 1 when I bought it brand new. I don't over the mileage before I change the oil. The car is a V6 30 valve and when I removed the valve covers to do a cam tensioner on the engine it was totally clean no sludge what so ever

By the way you can see my Passat if you click on my garage. I have one pick of it along with my BMW car pics
Oh nice.....sounds like you took good care.
I think that's the reason many cars die and early death.....people just don't know how to or maintain them.
Your Passat surprised me as consumer reports rated them pretty low on reliability....but I guess doesn't mean all will suck....you must be happy to be the outlier in that data set.
Or maybe I was confusing another model year of Passat.:
Appreciate 0