E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Vishnu High Definition Multi-Gauge System: Vent option?

11-03-2008, 01:28 PM   #45
alextremo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
The only way to get OBD connectivity without using the stock port is to get it from the ECU harness. Easy to do if you have PnP PROcede harness but for those who don't, making a PnP harness just to get OBD data is cost prohibitive. Plus, I don't see anything wrong with have a plug plugged discretely into your OBD port.

I'm whipping up a more finished version of the vent gauge today and tomorrow. I think you guys will like it. Functionally, it makes other gauge options look like Knight Rider KITT displays jkjk

Shiv
As long as this is still in design mode... why not offer an integrated solution for those with a PROcede PnP harness, and an OBDII dongle option for those without?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 01:36 PM   #46
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

interesting....do you have any macro shots of the gauge? I'd like to see a closer view =)
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 01:38 PM   #47
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextremo View Post
As long as this is still in design mode... why not offer an integrated solution for those with a PROcede PnP harness, and an OBDII dongle option for those without?
Hey Shiv, why don't you work with Rixeffect and come up with a solution to this guage....Both of you can profit from this instead of stepping on each others balls!!! I mean **********s, Jlevisw and other performance stores sell different items...I know Rixeffect works with BMS, but whats wrong with Vishnutuning going as a vendor listing for Rixeffects?? You guys should join forces and make something thats not nice, but spectacular...Rixeffect guage is definitely pretty well thought out, but if the PLX guage can look like the vent guage as a finished product, I think it will be a winner for sure...
Shiv although I like you idea of the PLX gauge, there needs to be some polishing as far as presentation..Looking at the pics, I would have to say that your guage at the MOMENT looks like it belongs in a CIVIC, but the functunality of the guage is on the right path for sure, need work on the presentation before I would even think about purchasing it! Waiting for REFINED pics of guage..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 02:25 PM   #48
Mike07335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
Hey Shiv, why don't you work with Rixeffect and come up with a solution to this guage....Both of you can profit from this instead of stepping on each others balls!!! I mean **********s, Jlevisw and other performance stores sell different items...I know Rixeffect works with BMS, but whats wrong with Vishnutuning going as a vendor listing for Rixeffects?? You guys should join forces and make something thats not nice, but spectacular...Rixeffect guage is definitely pretty well thought out, but if the PLX guage can look like the vent guage as a finished product, I think it will be a winner for sure...
Shiv although I like you idea of the PLX gauge, there needs to be some polishing as far as presentation..Looking at the pics, I would have to say that your guage at the MOMENT looks like it belongs in a CIVIC, but the functunality of the guage is on the right path for sure, need work on the presentation before I would even think about purchasing it! Waiting for REFINED pics of guage..
I think thats a great suggestion...

To be fair to Shiv he did whip that up in a night

Mike
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 02:31 PM   #49
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextremo View Post
+1, only reason I would not buy this gauge is the fact it needs to be plugged into the port.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
Hey Shiv, why don't you work with Rixeffect and come up with a solution to this guage....Both of you can profit from this instead of stepping on each others balls!!!
+1 - Rick's vent gauge is the best OEM looking solution, why not pay someone else to build the vent portion and then assemble them as kits yourself? Now if Rick hurry's up and finishes with the RHD vent I sent him...
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 04:17 PM   #50
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOPALX View Post
+1, only reason I would not buy this gauge is the fact it needs to be plugged into the port.
It only needs to be plugged in if you want to read OBD-II data. If you are just happy with boost, you can leave it unplugged and tucked away. I'm not sure why anyone would want a long OBD-II cable going all the way to the ECU box and plugging into a PnP harness. Seems to me that plugging something into your OBD-II plug is much easier and cost effective.

Is it just an aesthetics thing? ie, not wanting you see a plug in the OBD port when you look down at your feet? Just curious...

shiv
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 04:47 PM   #51
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

I see no issue plugging into the OBD-II port, don't change it up shiv
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 06:23 PM   #52
alextremo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It only needs to be plugged in if you want to read OBD-II data. If you are just happy with boost, you can leave it unplugged and tucked away. I'm not sure why anyone would want a long OBD-II cable going all the way to the ECU box and plugging into a PnP harness. Seems to me that plugging something into your OBD-II plug is much easier and cost effective.

Is it just an aesthetics thing? ie, not wanting you see a plug in the OBD port when you look down at your feet? Just curious...

shiv
aesthetics for me. I guess it wouldn't be so bad if there's a place to tuck it away down there when not in use.

To be honest my decision on buying a gauge is going to be based 70% on looks/ integration, 30% on functionality (call me shallow) I really like the additional features on this gauge, but looking out of place in the car would outweigh the positives. Looking forward to seeing the higher res pictures of a more "polished" version!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 06:51 PM   #53
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:

shiv
Yes aesthetics, both for the OBD plug and the gauge itself. If that means running a cable to the ECU box then fine, at least it gives me an excuse when BMW ask why I've been there.

I like the extra functionality, if its packaged so it looks like it belongs there then I'll buy it. Otherwise I'll live with a gauge like Rixters as it gives enough info while looking like it belongs in the car.

Just my 0.02c worth.

Cheers,

S
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 07:01 PM   #54
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

Shiv, please leave us the option to plug it into the OBD-II port (like you originally planned).... there are a lot of us who actually care about the functionality of this gauge
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 07:41 PM   #55
alextremo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
Shiv, please leave us the option to plug it into the OBD-II port (like you originally planned).... there are a lot of us who actually care about the functionality of this gauge
And I'm sure there are a lot of us who would like to take advantage of all the functionality (especially future PROcede functions) with a gauge that is as fully integrated as possible with our cars.

If wiring to the ECU box is really impractical, personally I think I’d live with tucking away the OBDII cable somewhere under the dash and plugging it in when needed for the additional features.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 07:59 PM   #56
sambonator
Samtaro!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 N55 Alpinweiß

Can the vac/boost sender be installed in the engine bay, to avoid having to run a vacuum tube into the cabin?
      11-03-2008, 08:02 PM   #57
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambonator View Post
Can the vac/boost sender be installed in the engine bay, to avoid having to run a vacuum tube into the cabin?
In order for the guage to work you will need to run a vacuum tubing into the cabin, there is no way around that...I am not sure what u are trying to say?
The only way possible is if you have the guage mounted in the engine bay or like the OLD school dragsters with guages mount on the outside of the car near the wipers!!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 08:12 PM   #58
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Hi guys,
Whipped up another pod today in the shop. Still a bit rough but good enough for a prototype. I gave it to a sheetmetal/fab shop to have a cleaner version made up. I've asked them to incorporate the following visible changes:

-Add smoked anti-glare lens layer to make the whole pod insert blend into the dash nicely. So when the gauge is off, it will literally disappear. And when turned on, there will be a nice holograph-like effect. The numbers/needles/tick marks/etc,. will look like they are floating in empty space. You wont see the screen surface at all.
-Add a cut-out for the 4-button remote to the faceplate. In the pic below, I just photoshopped it in.
-Add a chrome ring around the inside gauge bezel to match the factory gauges. This may either look really damn cool or silly. We'll try with and without it

This second, un-doctored pic shows just how recessed and angled the gauge is in the holder. Should look really nice with the tinted lens layer:

It shouldn't be long until I have a 1st rev "finished" product. I'm tempted to add a another switch for mapswitching. It could be persistent but the more I think about it, the worse of an idea it is when you already have the ability to set what map you want the PROcede to default with.

Let me know if you have any suggestions/comments/etc., The final product should look like it belongs in the car. It will not look "aftermarket".

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 08:15 PM   #59
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

now we're talking!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 11:26 PM   #60
DrewKo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i Montego Blue Saddle Brown

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Gorgeous. I actually like the idea of map switching buttons, if it looks right. Very cool.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 12:55 AM   #61
rdsport323
Captain
Rep

shouldn't the gauge be angled the other way? to reduce glare and direct sunlight from hitting the screen ? or perhaps adding more depth to the other side, to protect the gauge from glare coming in from the window?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 07:53 AM   #62
Dr_Dirt
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i 6AT

Quote:
Hi guys,
Whipped up another pod today in the shop. Still a bit rough but good enough for a prototype. I gave it to a sheetmetal/fab shop to have a cleaner version made up. I've asked them to incorporate the following visible changes:

-Add smoked anti-glare lens layer to make the whole pod insert blend into the dash nicely. So when the gauge is off, it will literally disappear. And when turned on, there will be a nice holograph-like effect. The numbers/needles/tick marks/etc,. will look like they are floating in empty space. You wont see the screen surface at all.
-Add a cut-out for the 4-button remote to the faceplate. In the pic below, I just photoshopped it in.
-Add a chrome ring around the inside gauge bezel to match the factory gauges. This may either look really damn cool or silly. We'll try with and without it

This second, un-doctored pic shows just how recessed and angled the gauge is in the holder. Should look really nice with the tinted lens layer:

It shouldn't be long until I have a 1st rev "finished" product. I'm tempted to add a another switch for mapswitching. It could be persistent but the more I think about it, the worse of an idea it is when you already have the ability to set what map you want the PROcede to default with.

Let me know if you have any suggestions/comments/etc., The final product should look like it belongs in the car. It will not look "aftermarket".

Shiv

Looks awesome
Good job on matching the OLED color.
Does the plot function work with boost?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 08:11 AM   #63
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsport323 View Post
shouldn't the gauge be angled the other way? to reduce glare and direct sunlight from hitting the screen ? or perhaps adding more depth to the other side, to protect the gauge from glare coming in from the window?
there is going to be tinted glass over the whole thing
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 11:46 AM   #64
jonm42
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: too fast for conditions.

Outstanding. As long as the option exists to go from the in-cabin OBD dongle to the Procede PnP harness, this looks like a no-brainer. Nice work!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 02:10 PM   #65
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Cost and installtion time would go up if you want to plug the obd cable into the PROcede harness. What if there was a way to route the in-cable obd2 cable so that you don't see it? That, can be done easily.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 02:17 PM   #66
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

screw the extra cost/installation time! obd2 hookup where it is currently is perfectly fine
Appreciate 0