E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Methanol

09-25-2009, 12:22 PM   #45
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humtek View Post
He bought the Boost Juice from SP.
Oh...30 bucks for 4 gallons is not much at all... I though it was more!! I guess Meth is accessible for sure...I am not going to mix it myself if I do go this route...
I am waiting to hear from Shiv as to what he is going to do with his system....I hope he sells it all in one kit ready to install upon deliver.....I don't understand why people would even worry about spraying Meth, its not like you have to have the Meth system on at ALL times....I know once I have a kit installed, it will be used sparingly..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 12:27 PM   #46
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexye92 View Post
i am going to be installing this on 2 335's very soon, i am going to take a sample of the oil before the meth, and after the meth, so i have an accurate reading for everyone, i honestly dont expect any harm whatso ever
great !! keep us posted...
imho, the oil change interval when spraying methanol is one of the few unknown facts regarding itīs use.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 12:29 PM   #47
Kevin@AKMotorwerk
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: THE GUY YOU LOVE TO HATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife View Post
great !! keep us posted...
imho, the oil change interval when spraying methanol is one of the few unknown facts regarding itīs use.
i really dont worry about it, i changed all my cars oils at 3000 always, just because of gas that gets into the oil during regular driving and breaking down the oil. i just have access to get oil sampled so i would like to put you guys at ease to see results, or of course to show your concern was warranted
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 12:30 PM   #48
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

eugene,

besides the obvious octane benifit, methanol or water + methanol brings down your IATS alot !!

when i am at WOT: i can see the IATs instantly drop 20 - 30 degrees F.
basically - if you spray methanol - you almost do not need an upgraded IC (although the IC by itself is a great mod).

my 2 cents
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 12:31 PM   #49
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
i really dont worry about it, i changed all my cars oils at 3000 always, just because of gas that gets into the oil during regular driving and breaking down the oil. i just have access to get oil sampled so i would like to put you guys at ease to see results, or of course to show your concern was warranted
How are you getting the spray nozzle into the charge pipe, are you going aftermarket STETT or some how using the OEM charge pipe?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 12:33 PM   #50
Kevin@AKMotorwerk
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
How are you getting the spray nozzle into the charge pipe, are you going aftermarket STETT or some how using the OEM charge pipe?
they both ordered the stett pipe, i would just buy the screw style bungs that snow sells and drill the stock pipe, but at least the stett pipe solves the problem of the charge pipe blowing off the throttle body.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 12:34 PM   #51
nlakind
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 | E30 M3 || '51 Ford F1

not to jump in & interrupt the convo going on but to the OP: you might find midlife's thread over @ N54tech helpful...

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5228
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 12:43 PM   #52
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
FboostedIS...Curious to what method you are doing for the Meth...If you do mix it yourself, can you have a detailed DIY for mixing this stuff and where to get all the materials needed! I feel very comfortable with your DIY....not great with chemistry at all!!!!!!
It is simple stuff. Buy Distilled Water at your local grocery store, then buy methanol at your local speed shop, and pick up this:

http://www.amazon.com/Adorama-One-Ga.../dp/B0000A9DUE

It is really quite simple. I go 66% methanol and 34% distilled water. The methanol costs $5.00 per gallon and the distilled water is $1.00 per gallon. 2 gallons lasts about a month, so this is not expensive at all.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 12:44 PM   #53
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
former boosted... this is a great offer and will benifit the community also.
...may i suggest changing the oil after 3000 miles and have it analyzed??

i think 2000 miles is probably overkill.. i do mine every 3000 miles.
There are a lot of us running it, but I will look into it at my next change. I am just trying to juggle a lot of projects right now.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 12:47 PM   #54
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
eugene,

besides the obvious octane benifit, methanol or water + methanol brings down your IATS alot !!

when i am at WOT: i can see the IATs instantly drop 20 - 30 degrees F.
basically - if you spray methanol - you almost do not need an upgraded IC (although the IC by itself is a great mod).

my 2 cents
I will have video in the next couple of days showing a methanol gauge with the BMS tuning tool right next to each other on a pull so you can see exactly what happens to IATs as the flow increases. You run it so you know, the drop is extraordinary.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 12:48 PM   #55
Jonny550
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i Xdrive

Quote:
because of the small amount of meth sprayed and how fast its evaporated into the engine, there is no worries about it corroding anything
I dont think aluminium can corrode at all

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 12:50 PM   #56
Kevin@AKMotorwerk
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon335iFL View Post
I dont think aluminium can corrode at all
yea aluminum oxidizes, kind of like chrome pitting, but like i said its been tested alot, and its too small of an amount of meth, and its burned instantly, maybe if it sat on a piece of aluminum for a month it would do harm
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 12:52 PM   #57
ChiDiddy
Rep
Drives: pop smoke

i'm running snow's kit on my boosted Acura RSX. Been running it for a long time now, i mainly use it to keep the charge temps down and cylinders clean, also to help with any knocks that comes with weather and fuel changes. I use it more for those reason than power gains, although i was able to run slightly higher ignition timing and squeeze some Hp out of it in WOT.

I change my oil every 5k w/ m1 5w-30. (factory weight) Even with w/m inj, still the same. My car is now at 100+k miles and still running strong. If there is water in your oil, then you would have concerns. I've had my oil analyzed various times with no negative results. i do not see why you would change your oil more frequently with w/m injection and it should NOT get in the oil anyways.

RSX is an aluminum engine as well, but running water with methanol dissipates the corrosion effect vs running meth alone. (from what i was told)
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 12:55 PM   #58
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlakind View Post
not to jump in & interrupt the convo going on but to the OP: you might find midlife's thread over @ N54tech helpful...

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5228
Thanks for the plug:
But my thread over there was about if you cannot find methanol and what are the other chemical options.
You guys live in developed countries LOL and should be able to find methanol easily.
I am in a developing country so my supply options are usually VERY limited.
Fwiw former boosted has 2 great threads going - one in each forum.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 01:02 PM   #59
nlakind
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 | E30 M3 || '51 Ford F1

Quote:
Thanks for the plug:
But my thread over there was about if you cannot find methanol and what are the other chemical options.
You guys live in developed countries LOL and should be able to find methanol easily.
I am in a developing country so my supply options are usually VERY limited.
Fwiw former boosted has 2 great threads going - one in each forum.
the thread is still helpful to a lot of guys' posts in this thread..& don't worry, i'm all about FormerBIS threads', lol..been folling his meth threads since the 1st day he posted them!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 01:07 PM   #60
Terrance28
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red E92

Quote:
WHere would you even get Methanol....Can it be purchased at any Autozone?? FormerBIS where do you get your methanol from, and if you have to mix it yourself, how does one go about getting this? I am also new to the game of Meth, but want to better understand how to obtain Meth...local Auto shop or drug store!!
I get meth from my local track $4 a gallon.
      09-25-2009, 02:03 PM   #61
Muffnbluff
Redline Addict
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 335 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiDiddy View Post
i'm running snow's kit on my boosted Acura RSX. Been running it for a long time now, i mainly use it to keep the charge temps down and cylinders clean, also to help with any knocks that comes with weather and fuel changes. I use it more for those reason than power gains, although i was able to run slightly higher ignition timing and squeeze some Hp out of it in WOT.

I change my oil every 5k w/ m1 5w-30. (factory weight) Even with w/m inj, still the same. My car is now at 100+k miles and still running strong. If there is water in your oil, then you would have concerns. I've had my oil analyzed various times with no negative results. i do not see why you would change your oil more frequently with w/m injection and it should NOT get in the oil anyways.

RSX is an aluminum engine as well, but running water with methanol dissipates the corrosion effect vs running meth alone. (from what i was told)
Unfortunately a stock turbo N54 can only use meth for the same reasons you're using. Methanol on a big turbo that can boost 30psi is much more benefitial because it allows you to run those extreme boost numbers safely. We're already maxing out the N54 turbos on pump gas.

With that in mind I guess you'd only need a tiny nozzle to cool down the temp. But if you want to use meth for power purposes to up the boost on a big turbo you need to spray a lot of meth. This is where you'll want to shorten your oil change interval significantly.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 02:35 PM   #62
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiDiddy View Post

what % methanol do you use in your methanol and water mix ??
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 02:38 PM   #63
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffnbluff View Post

.... With that in mind I guess you'd only need a tiny nozzle to cool down the temp. But if you want to use meth for power purposes to up the boost on a big turbo you need to spray a lot of meth. This is where you'll want to shorten your oil change interval significantly.
what quantity of meth would you consider alot ?? 650 ml/minute ??

thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 04:00 PM   #64
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffnbluff View Post
Unfortunately a stock turbo N54 can only use meth for the same reasons you're using. Methanol on a big turbo that can boost 30psi is much more benefitial because it allows you to run those extreme boost numbers safely. We're already maxing out the N54 turbos on pump gas.

With that in mind I guess you'd only need a tiny nozzle to cool down the temp. But if you want to use meth for power purposes to up the boost on a big turbo you need to spray a lot of meth. This is where you'll want to shorten your oil change interval significantly.
I am sorry, but that is completely wrong. Timing advance on the N54 results in massive power differences. I have been able to run the race gas maps on pump and still see nearly stock like timing at redline. The timing advances you will see due to the methanol are the probably the biggest reason to use it on the N54.

I have tested the following:

100 ml/min nozzle at 150 psi.
175 ml/min nozzle at 150 psi
375 ml/min nozzle at 150 psi
375 ml/min + 100 ml/min nozzle combo at 150 psi

Now keep in mind the correction factor is about 1.6 at 150 psi

I have also tested

100 ml/min nozzle at 220 psi
175 ml/min nozzle at 220 psi
100 ml/min + 175 ml/min at 220 psi.

The correction factor is about 1.9 at 220 psi. So basically, I have tested from about 150 ml/min to over 650 ml/min on pump and race maps. I have 50/50 up to 66/34 methanol to water ratios.

I can tell you definitively this... even on simple pump maps at 14 psi that you will see remarkable differences with your car running methanol.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 04:02 PM   #65
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
what % methanol do you use in your methanol and water mix ??
midlife, you really have to look at your timing curves, adjust the mix, and see what results you see. Since you are in a situation with very bad pump gas and at elevation, your results will vary a whole lot from the rest.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 06:01 PM   #66
Craig@SupremePower
G.O.A.T.!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 GMC Yukon XL

who could it be??
Quote:
i am going to be installing this on 2 335's very soon, i am going to take a sample of the oil before the meth, and after the meth, so i have an accurate reading for everyone, i honestly dont expect any harm whatso ever
Appreciate 0