E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2011 335is vs 2011 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

05-06-2010, 08:17 PM   #45
SteveMD
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 535i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
Yeah, on second thought, you should go for that Cattle-Quack. Be sure to order the "rapper" package with 24" chrome wheels and spinners, vinyl top with landau bars, and the 550-hp sound system with 40" flat-screen and six 18" woofers in the trunk. Maybe a few flip-down screens...oh, and check into the scissor-door option too.

No matter what badge they put on the outside nor which huge pushrod V8 they stuff under the hood, it's still a Chevrolet underneath it all. $62K is a lot of money for a hot-rod Chevy, just like their $100,000+ Corvette ZR1.
Change your user name to 'Ultimate Fan Boi' because everyone knows that if you drive through LA you will never see a yo'd out 7 series riding on chrome 24s with TVs in the back and woofers in the trunk. Naagh!

Save yourself further embarassment and public ridicule by actually visiting a Caddy dealership and actually sitting in the CTS-V. I doubt they'll let you drive one but I think you will get the idea.

I'd take the CTS-V any day of the week.
2016 F10 535i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 08:21 PM   #46
E90 87ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruxp View Post
I love the "it has a pushrod v8 in it and is really fast, so it must be a good car" argument.
Never heard of that argument, but it's a pretty good one.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 08:24 PM   #47
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruxp View Post
I love the "it has a pushrod v8 in it and is really fast, so it must be a good car" argument.
Why the hate for OHV? Before you say OHC is newer and more advanced, guess what you're wrong. OHC is older then OHV. Shocker, I know.

Who gives a crap about displacement? The M3 has a 4.0 liter V8 and it gets roughly the same fuel economy as the CTS-V. Why hate the LS3/LS9/LSA for being 6.2 liter engines, and yet I bet you all love Mercedes's 6.2 V8 that is in the C63 AMG. While in physical size, the LS3 and LS7 V8's at least are smaller then the AMG 6.2 V8. Great advantage to OHV engines is that they give you great packaging options.
Attached Images

Last edited by quagmire; 05-06-2010 at 08:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 08:32 PM   #48
tys90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i xDrive

The CTS-V is sick just looking at the numbers and the sedan has received a lot of praise. I would pick the CTS-V
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 08:42 PM   #49
bo1o02
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: the speed limit

CADDY with no hesitation. GM has been making light years in terms of progress. With all the bail outs they've taken on, they have no other option but to make better cars in order to gain trust back from their once or new potential customers. So it is safe to say they are making quality cars, because they have higher quality inspection. Friend bought a SRX, I never looked twice at a caddy if it wasn't an escalade, but the SRX is a definite head turner. Caddy is certainly a making a name for themselves again.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 08:56 PM   #50
alms21
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 GT-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMD View Post
Change your user name to 'Ultimate Fan Boi' because everyone knows that if you drive through LA you will never see a yo'd out 7 series riding on chrome 24s with TVs in the back and woofers in the trunk. Naagh!

Save yourself further embarassment and public ridicule by actually visiting a Caddy dealership and actually sitting in the CTS-V. I doubt they'll let you drive one but I think you will get the idea.

I'd take the CTS-V any day of the week.
+1,000

Roundel wins the BMW Nutswinger of the day award. With a screename like that, who's surprised? I'd spend $60K on a Caddy one million times over before I'd pay $50-60K for a 3 series BMW. Seriously, $60K for a 3 series?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 08:56 PM   #51
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330xi, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornhusker View Post
Buy a used cts-v coupe for 60% of it's new value, end of thread.
+1, it looks like an appliance anyway, so why take the depreciation hit?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 09:02 PM   #52
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oulixes View Post
+1, it looks like an appliance anyway, so why take the depreciation hit?
If the CTS-V looks like an appliance, then the E90 looks like a box.

I know looks are subjective, but the CTS-V hardly looks like an appliance. You may not like the design, but come on an appliance? Camry/Accord are the appliance lookers......
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 09:08 PM   #53
Dumb Bass
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 jet black e90 6spd MT

For the sake of supporting American products, this CTS-V is not bad at all. Maybe I'll get one in two years. After all, someone did mention the resale value drops like a person from a skyscrapper.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 09:42 PM   #54
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Jesus Christ what the fuck has happened to this forum?

All of us in our baller 3-series BMW's are too good for a car that goes faster, is more reliable, and looks better? It's crap because it's American? Really? Have you seen the shit that is falling off your own car, and the repeat failures that BMW is failing to rectify???

As posted above, OHC is actually older than OHV. So who's the fucking dinosaur now?

Fucking fan boys. I love my 335 when it's 100% functional, but now that I've seen the ugly side of it for two years, the roundel alone isn't enough to keep me in it. CTS-V beats it in all categories. Reliability, straight-line performance, track performance, interior, tuning potential.... Hmm did I forget anything? The 335is maybe wins in resale, but not by much.

Oh yeah, I forgot, the BMW would allow me to post on forums like these about how I'm finally cool because I have an entry level German car.

Congratulations.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 09:52 PM   #55
herro
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Jesus Christ what the fuck has happened to this forum?

All of us in our baller 3-series BMW's are too good for a car that goes faster, is more reliable, and looks better? It's crap because it's American? Really? Have you seen the shit that is falling off your own car, and the repeat failures that BMW is failing to rectify???

As posted above, OHC is actually older than OHV. So who's the fucking dinosaur now?

Fucking fan boys. I love my 335 when it's 100% functional, but now that I've seen the ugly side of it for two years, the roundel alone isn't enough to keep me in it. CTS-V beats it in all categories. Reliability, straight-line performance, track performance, interior, tuning potential.... Hmm did I forget anything? The 335is maybe wins in resale, but not by much.

Oh yeah, I forgot, the BMW would allow me to post on forums like these about how I'm finally cool because I have an entry level German car.

Congratulations.
+1

Thank you.. I'm not sure what's up with the holier-than-thou attitude of some e90post members.

OP, if I were in your shoes, it'd be the CTS-V hands-down.
      05-06-2010, 09:57 PM   #56
herro
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldur Abendroth
the price and hp are enough for anyone to say caddy, but first, what is the torque rating? We know the 335is is a torque monster. I like the smooth lines of the 335 much better. Let's talk about longevity and quality. The caddy's value will plumit through the years, things will fall off your dash....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldur Abendroth View Post
I'm sure the cts-v is a monster in a straight line, american cars were always built for that. It's just for me it's former bankrupt failure GM. I think if they have a 1 year lease go for it.
I'm really sorry but do you have ANY idea what you're talking about? I've never seen someone get shot down so hard but keep trying to come up points that.... get shot down further.
      05-06-2010, 10:03 PM   #57
dmz
Captain
Rep
Drives: me nuts

Let me guess. You have never owned or driven a GM car in the past 5 years, correct?
Actually, price and performance wise. The CTS-V should be compared to the M3 not a 335i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
You want to give up German craftsmanship for a union-built piece of GM junk with a Corvette engine that will literally fall apart in 3 years? Really...read some back issues of Road & Track, Car & Driver, etc. and see how well their CTS-V long-term test cars fared. Really up for that 10-12MPG experience? Oh, be prepared to lose about 50% value in the first year, too. All this, not to mention the really ugly Cadillac styling.

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 11:11 PM   #58
M4LF
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by alms21 View Post
Do you have any idea WTF you are talking about?

The CTS-V SEDAN does 3.9 0-60 and a 12.0 flat 1/4 mile...not to mention a 7.59 'Ring time.

Yeah, this looks like shit will be falling off the dash. This interior is worlds better than your '07 3 series
Two of my friends have CTS-Vs. I sat in one of them. Everything from the steering wheel to those Recaro seats are simply amazing. I liked them way better than my 335i. And that's before you turn on the engine. Once those supercharged V-8 powers up, wow, pure SEX! Makes my 335i sounds like a Camry.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 11:38 PM   #59
MrSteak
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 335i Coupe (6-speed)

$70k??? Fuck that, I don't want either.

Maybe if both cars were a prize on a game show, then I'll probably take the Cady, beat the shit out of it then sell it for something nicer. Fan boy or not, I'll still never buy an American car. The Vette is the only consistently well made car in the US, so cramming it's engine into some "luxury" brand to appeal to younger buyers is a gimmick that just doesn't work on me.
      05-07-2010, 01:37 AM   #60
Dumb Bass
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 jet black e90 6spd MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo1o02 View Post
CADDY with no hesitation. GM has been making light years in terms of progress. With all the bail outs they've taken on, they have no other option but to make better cars in order to gain trust back from their once or new potential customers. So it is safe to say they are making quality cars, because they have higher quality inspection. Friend bought a SRX, I never looked twice at a caddy if it wasn't an escalade, but the SRX is a definite head turner. Caddy is certainly a making a name for themselves again.
Just to add about this GM thing you mentioned, they paid off their bail out money in full already
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 05:20 AM   #61
Manboy
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2020 M135i Misano Blue

just a question to all of you saying that the Caddy is the better choice between the two - how come you got a BMW?

Personally, i got it because i love the cars and the brand itself and everything sorrounding it. Eventhough there are a lot of better cars out there, BMW is closest to my heart and would be my choice between the two. That's not saying anything negative about the Caddy, im sure it's fantastic

Last edited by Manboy; 05-07-2010 at 05:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 05:24 AM   #62
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
"Brand Image" is the key word. Like professional reviewers say, it takes a decade or more to change a brand's image.
When I hear "Cadillac", first thing that pops up in my head is "Grandma". Im sorry, no offense to cadillac owners.
Hyundai for example. They make awesome cars now, their reliability and performance level is on-par with japanese/domestics.
Yet, their resale value and sales figures are still horrible compare to their rivals. This is due to brand image.
Cadillac recently has been trying so hard to change their image. VERY hard.
They even officially announced couple years ago that their design cue will be geared towards younger crowd.

Still, I can't see myself driving a Cadillac. Everytime I see one on the road or read about it in the magazines, my jaw usually drops and go "wow".
but I just can't justify spending money on it. When I get into my late 30s, I know Cadillac's performance-oriented vehicles will be on top of my list.
Until then, BMW works for me. Im not hating, Im not bashing. I love cadillac designs and their attitude towards vehicle dynamics/performance.
Im just not ready for that brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel View Post
just a question to all off you saying that the Caddy is the better choice between the two - how come you got a BMW?
I got my bmw because of the badge. My two favorite colors are blue and white.
To be honest, for steering feedback/feel. There isn't a factory manufactured stock car in 40~50k price range that can match the bmw steering feel. Period.

by the way, Im serious about the badge color.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :

Last edited by lux.sh; 05-07-2010 at 05:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 05:29 AM   #63
Manboy
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2020 M135i Misano Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh View Post
IMy two favorite colors are blue and white.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 06:32 AM   #64
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MG F22 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel View Post
just a question to all of you saying that the Caddy is the better choice between the two - how come you got a BMW?

Personally, i got it because i love the cars and the brand itself and everything sorrounding it. Eventhough there are a lot of better cars out there, BMW is closest to my heart and would be my choice between the two. That's not saying anything negative about the Caddy, im sure it's fantastic
Easy answer for me. I bought my 2007 335i Coupe for just under $29K. Would I spend $50K plus on a new one, hell no!! But for this price I got true value for a fun sports car.

Wish I had $60K plus to spend on a new automobile then I could actually make a choice between these two cars, but atlast I'm just a poor working stiff who is at his budget limit with my current car.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 06:40 AM   #65
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MG F22 Auto

Why so many opinions on American Cars are negative

Maybe some of the die-hard BMW fans who have commented here fit this narrow-minded thought...

From JD Power -

WESTLAKE VILLAGE, Calif.: 18 March 2010 - Twenty-five of 36 vehicle brands have improved in long-term dependability in 2010, compared with their performance in 2009, continuing a steady trend of industry-wide improvement. However, for some of these brands, consumer perceptions have not kept pace with their actual performance, according to the J.D. Power and Associates 2010 U.S. Vehicle Dependability StudySM (VDS) released today.

The study, which measures problems experienced by original owners of three-year-old (2007 model year) vehicles, includes 198 different problem symptoms across all areas of the vehicle. Overall dependability is determined by the level of problems experienced per 100 vehicles (PP100), with a lower score reflecting higher quality.

The Vehicle Dependability Study is used extensively by vehicle manufacturers worldwide to help design and build better vehicles-which typically translates to higher resale values-and by consumers to help them make more-informed choices for both new- and used- vehicle purchases. According to J.D. Power and Associates, among new-vehicle shoppers, perception of quality and dependability is the most influential factor in their decision to purchase a specific vehicle model.
The study finds that several brands that perform well in long-term dependability in 2010 are avoided at relatively high rates due to consumer concerns about dependability. Among brands included in VDS, Cadillac, Ford, Hyundai, Lincoln and Mercury have the greatest lags between dependability performance and consumer perception.

"Producing vehicles with world-class quality is just part of the battle for automakers; convincing consumers to believe in their quality is equally as important," said David Sargent, vice president of global vehicle research at J.D. Power and Associates. "It takes considerable time to positively change consumer perceptions of quality and dependability-sometimes a decade or more-so it is vital for manufacturers to continually improve quality and also to convince consumers of these gains."

Porsche leads the overall nameplate rankings in 2010, which is consistent with its performance in the J.D. Power and Associates 2007 Initial Quality Study,SM which measures new-vehicle quality at 90 days of ownership. Lincoln improves by six rank positions from 2009 to follow Porsche in the nameplate rankings. Rounding out the top five nameplates are Buick, Lexus and Mercury. In addition, seven of the 10 models with the lowest incidence of problems in the industry are from Ford and General Motors, including the 2007 model-year Buick Lacrosse, Buick Lucerne, Cadillac DTS, Ford Five Hundred, Lincoln MKZ, Mercury Milan, and Mercury Montego. The Cadillac DTS has the fewest problems in the industry, with just 76 problems per 100 vehicles. This marks the first time in more than a decade that a model from a domestic automaker has achieved the lowest PP100 score in the Vehicle Dependability Study.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 06:54 AM   #66
ktmsmr12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
I have a 2007 335i (bought it used as a CPO car for $29k) and my next door neighbor has the new CTS-V sedan. We both enjoy each others' cars. As my car gets quicker, he is amazed at how well it performs for a 3.0L TT 6 cylinder. Not to mention, I still get over 30mpg on the highway! 30.7mpg average during 800 mile trip to FL and back a few weeks ago. He got 15.5mpg on the same trip. The sound of that V-8 is something to smile about though. I love to here it rev and growl. The interior in that car is amazing! The seats (recaro) fit like a glove. We both think the 335i has a more connected feel to the road, but when the speeds get up there, stock for stock, the CTS-V walks away.

I think they are both nice cars and both have their merits. I chose the 335i because I wanted to try a BMW and see what the "ultimate driving machine" was all about. I bought the car for me, not what people would think. I race motorcycles and for me, it is about all-around performance, not what some chick would think about me driving a BMW. I am very happy with my car. In a perfect world, I would have one of everything and rotate throughout the year, but since that is not possible for me, I chose something that is plenty quick, handles well, gets great mpg, has room for my kids, and is a fabulous sleeper car in its current state of tune.

My goal is to get my car to be as quick as his in the 1/4 mile, 60-130mph, and 0-100mph. After UPS gets here today, I should be a tad quicker. Of course his car is completely stock and mine has the ebay turbonator and special racing BMW oil that added 150WHP and 150WTQ! :-)

Last edited by ktmsmr12; 05-07-2010 at 07:06 AM..
Appreciate 0