E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW M3d coming?

08-20-2011, 01:22 AM   #45
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by naamanf View Post
Plenty of tech has made it into their cars.
What exactly?

They don't advertise a lot on this, maybe it is their distinctive LED DRL's.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 01:56 AM   #46
username604
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
didn't the last v8 have like an 8300rpm redline? can't wait to redline my future m3 at 4k rpms! i can hear it bouncing off the limiter now: broom broom broom broom screech screech borom brrommm

lol, i'm messin' in the spirit of a flame thread!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 07:27 AM   #47
Saintor
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
For those that think you can't build a serious performer with a diesel engine I offer you the Audi r15/r10. Which has won Le Mans 5 out of the last six years.
Half of the story.

The only reason why diesel engines enjoy some success in the Lemans is JUST because the rules are tweaked in favor of the diesel engines. Diesel engines displacement can much larger than the gas engines.

Example in LM /P1 class
Quote:
Maximum Cubic capacity: 3400 cm3 for atmospheric petrol engines, 2000 cm3 for the turbo petrol engines or 3700 cm3 for the diesel engines
Marketing for fools. Bring them equal and beu-bye, diesels.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 08:02 AM   #48
maswastage
Resident Diesel Junkie
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW 335d

Just because a diesel engine makes power differently than a gas engine doesn't mean it has any unfair advantages. So what if diesels are allowed higher displacement? That's like complaining that it's unfair the gassers are allowed higher redlines. Or how about that the gassers are allowed larger fuel tanks to offset the diesel's inherent efficiency advantage.

As for the matter of a diesel m3, I'm all for it. I don't care what they call it, it doesn't have to be an M if that'll get the badge whores all riled up. Just as long as it has a performance tuned diesel and an M suspension and differential.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 10:04 AM   #49
Thud
Throbbing Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maswastage View Post
Just because a diesel engine makes power differently than a gas engine doesn't mean it has any unfair advantages. So what if diesels are allowed higher displacement? That's like complaining that it's unfair the gassers are allowed higher redlines. Or how about that the gassers are allowed larger fuel tanks to offset the diesel's inherent efficiency advantage.

As for the matter of a diesel m3, I'm all for it. I don't care what they call it, it doesn't have to be an M if that'll get the badge whores all riled up. Just as long as it has a performance tuned diesel and an M suspension and differential.
Diesels require higher displacement to make the same power. That's why the rules allow higher displacement for turbodiesels.
So gassers actually have the advantage in HP/liter, even if they're at a significant torque disadvantage.
But even with the higher displacement, the diesels are still consuming less fuel and running more reliability (the 5000rpm redline certainly reduces stress on engine components), which is why they allowed gassers to have larger fuel tanks.

So if Le Mans rules change and allow turbo gassers the same displacement as diesels, well then they should also allow diesels to have the same fuel capacity as the gassers.
2008 BMW 135i / 6MT
2002 Z06 Corvette
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 10:18 AM   #50
Saintor
Banned
Rep

Quote:
So if Le Mans rules change and allow turbo gassers the same displacement as diesels, well then they should also allow diesels to have the same fuel capacity as the gassers.
This is also to compensate that diesel engines are heavier. If you make the gas engine cars lighter by removing liters of gas, then the performance gap in favor of the gassers increases. Good idea! lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 10:26 AM   #51
Infamous
Secret Asian Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Maybe I'm just new to the BMW thing and not wrapped up in tradition ... I'd take a performance diesel BMW in a heartbeat

The new m3 and m5 have broken from tradition by going forced induction. So is an //m diesel really so far fetched?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 10:31 AM   #52
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much

I am still curious to hear what the point of this M3d would be? What advantage outside of fuel efficiency would the diesel M model have over the gas model? The torque advantage would be almost meaningless since this would be a track car and you can rev it high the entire time (oh wait, not really all that high since it's a diesel), it wouldn't sound that great since it's a diesel and would more than likely be heavier than it's gas counterpart as well as more expensive. So I am just curious who would spend $70-$80K on a track monster and then worry about fuel efficiency?, there must be something I am missing.
      08-20-2011, 11:10 AM   #53
oilfighter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforpower View Post
I am still curious to hear what the point of this M3d would be? What advantage outside of fuel efficiency would the diesel M model have over the gas model? The torque advantage would be almost meaningless since this would be a track car and you can rev it high the entire time (oh wait, not really all that high since it's a diesel), it wouldn't sound that great since it's a diesel and would more than likely be heavier than it's gas counterpart as well as more expensive. So I am just curious who would spend $70-$80K on a track monster and then worry about fuel efficiency?, there must be something I am missing.
You have to drive the 335d to really understand how torque effects the drive. Trust me, it's not as simple as being equal to "rev it high the entire time". What about passing without downshift? Exit corner power?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 11:18 AM   #54
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfighter View Post
You have to drive the 335d to really understand how torque effects the drive. Trust me, it's not as simple as being equal to "rev it high the entire time". What about passing without downshift? Exit corner power?
That's nice and all and that's why a 335d exists, I've driven 2 and I know exactly what you are talking about... not sure we still need to slap an M badge on it. M means track performance and torque means next to nothing on a track.
      08-20-2011, 11:51 AM   #55
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan4evr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkStory View Post
what next... hybrid?
I'd vote for an inline six triple turbo running on human fart tuned by M.
Lmao!!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 12:47 PM   #56
Thud
Throbbing Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
This is also to compensate that diesel engines are heavier. If you make the gas engine cars lighter by removing liters of gas, then the performance gap in favor of the gassers increases. Good idea! lol.
...until the diesel blows by the gasser that's refueling in the pit area.
2008 BMW 135i / 6MT
2002 Z06 Corvette
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 12:58 PM   #57
Thud
Throbbing Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2fire View Post
What exactly?

They don't advertise a lot on this, maybe it is their distinctive LED DRL's.
In the past, the V12 TDI and V10 TDI engines had production vehicle counterparts. I wouldn't be surprised to see the 3.7L TDI make it to a production vehicle in a couple of years. It's not just the equipment though, it's also the knowledge-- a lot of R&D goes into making a race car, and knowledge gained from building a car that can survive 24 hours of torture can be used to produce more reliable mainstream cars as well. This is not exclusive to Audi (or diesels).

Oh yeah, and the LED's.
2008 BMW 135i / 6MT
2002 Z06 Corvette
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 01:47 PM   #58
Saintor
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thud View Post
...until the diesel blows by the gasser that's refueling in the pit area.
A win is a win, but some wins are just more fair-play.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 01:57 PM   #59
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodem View Post
To the extent it means that a diesel 3 series will get all the shiny bits available only to the M cars (CF roof, al subframe, etc...), this would be nice. Improvement in engine performance would be nice for those who need more. But I wouldnt be interested in having the M on the back or anywhere else for that matter and I think many d drivers would agree. If they did want to spend the extra bucks for the better looks and performance, that's fine, but they probably would debadge the "M" or not care about it.

If BMW wanted to, it could make all the shiny bits available on 335i cars right now, at a price of course. But BMW is more concerned about protecting the "exclusivity" of the M brand than about making a bit more money on regular 3 series cars by including options for things like the AL subframe or CF roof. As a result, we have to mod our non-M cars.

But the result is that BMW could not put out a normal car which out performs an M car. So if BMW does come out with a car with more potential performance, they detune it and gear it for economy. If BMW wants to extract more performance from that car and make it available to the public, maybe because of competition from other car companies, then it must go to the M division and come out an M car. That's marketing my friends. If you dont believe me as to the importance of marketing and having a well-rounded line up of cars, look at how successful the awesome VW Phaeton has been in the US.
I agree with you 100%! Keep the diesel a diesel, and to pep it up a bit throw on some m style wheels and body kit as they already do. And keep the M3 exactly what it is; a raw powerful exhilarating sports car that is track ready at a moments notice. Period.

Last edited by Jadar; 08-20-2011 at 02:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 06:12 PM   #60
merchomini
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Touareg VR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb4 View Post
For those that think you can't build a serious performer with a diesel engine I offer you the Audi r15/r10. Which has won Le Mans 5 out of the last six years.

You guys really need to open you minds and imagine what BMW could do if they put there minds to building a true diesel performer.
I completely agree with this, and dont say just because its a race car and they have spent so much money on it and blah blah blah because that is the same diesel technology that audi uses, and has been developing since the begining of there car making since diesel has been around almost as long as gas motors.

Theres to many closed minded ppl in this world, that are afraid of change.

Ad any one who buys an m3 for performance is the minority, since they now make a 4-door which is heavier, and they make a convertible which dont get me started on all of the issues. IF BMW wanted to make a truly stunning M3D, they definately could, not to mention that most of europe and the rest of the world have been using diesel for a verrrry long time.

Unless we have actual automotive engineers on here saying its impossible to make a performance production car with a diesel because of the wieght or whatever bs reason have been given here id otn see how anyone can make an argument agaist it.

and if you wanna talk about v-10 being in audis race car, the m5 has a v-10 along with a few other production cars
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 03:31 PM   #61
mm2129
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous View Post
Maybe I'm just new to the BMW thing and not wrapped up in tradition ... I'd take a performance diesel BMW in a heartbeat

The new m3 and m5 have broken from tradition by going forced induction. So is an //m diesel really so far fetched?
very true I will forever miss that V10
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 03:35 PM   #62
Morgan GS
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2004 X5 and 2008 E92 320d

well i got one

M3d

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 04:51 PM   #63
Thud
Throbbing Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
A win is a win

2008 BMW 135i / 6MT
2002 Z06 Corvette
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 06:11 PM   #64
Hisam135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Dont exactly care if its a diesel or even a four cylinder as long as it performs... Wouldn't it be a good thing if it's more powerful and efficient regardless of the engine size or type...
2008 Monaco Blue 335i | Terracotta | Premium | Auto | Comfort Access | Matte-black Grills | Carbon Fiber Splitters | 20% Tint | 1- point E9x Picture Game | Staggered 19' VMR V701 | Legal Disclaimer: My posts on this website cannot be held against me in any issues, such as warranty claims. |
Appreciate 0