E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > JB4 Meth Downpipes DCI Dyno results.

11-28-2011, 04:07 PM   #45
Chadd
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastBimmerN54 View Post
Here is a thing on opinions, opinions are like butt holes, they all stink. If you've only had one tune and one meth kit, you have no experience therefore your opinions dont matter. Truth hurts. Get off your high horse that you bought the inexpensive tune and meth kit. You needed wiki pedia to learn the definition of opinion, that's sad. If you dont want to learn the truth about the parts you purchased fine.

I posted that link for you Child. I think you need to look in the mirror, you are the one on a high horse saying that all opinions are like butt holes and they all stink. Thanks for informing me what opinions are boy, its obvious that you are very arrogant and cannot comprehend that you just "moded" yourself.

Its a slang buddy in case you don't know what it means child here is a link.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=moded
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 04:24 PM   #46
JBax
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
As I lack the electrical engineering degree in this discussion I'm just trying to get the story straight. What is if any the benefit of a PWM signal used on a so called "PPS Meth kit" ?
+1
JB4, Alufelgen SF-71, DCI, VRSF DPs, Meth, AR Meth Elbow, AWE BOVs, Catless Exhaust, BMS OCC, ETS FMIC, ECS Strut Bar, ER Engine Cover, M Sport Steering Wheel Trim, LEDs, 20% Tint, Macht Schnell Spacers, ACS Roof Spoiler, ACS Pedals, ACS E-Brake Handle, Blacklines, M3 Steering Wheel w/DCT Paddles, Gunmetal Kidneys, Black Finisher Rods
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 04:47 PM   #47
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
The BMS WW kit works, but its not a true PWM kit. It cannot run 50 PSI of pressure and have the same atomization of a real PWM kit at 50 PSI.

The BMS ww kit is a PPS pump, they can only atomize at 100% duty cycle. Anything less and the atomization is poor.

A real PWM kit can atomize properly at low PSI just as well as high PSI.

This is just for clarification and nothing more. If you like your kit thats great and I'm glad its working.

However, the advertisement is a scam.

As for the other remarks about tunes... unless you try them all you have no opinion.
That's just must more propaganda. Here is a video showing a CM10 nozzle at 30% duty cycle, 50% duty cycle, and 100% duty cycle. You can hear the pump pulsing away at a really slow speed at 30% yet the spray pattern is still perfect.

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 04:51 PM   #48
BrianMN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
That's just must more propaganda. Here is a video showing a CM10 nozzle at 30% duty cycle, 50% duty cycle, and 100% duty cycle. You can hear the pump pulsing away at a really slow speed at 30% yet the spray pattern is still perfect.

That video proves nothing; add 1 bar to the equation and see what it does.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 04:52 PM   #49
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
Quote:
FYI: No one is misusing the the PWM term. The BMS WW kit is a PWM kit as were all those POS Labonte kits you sold. Aquamist has decided to call their kits "PWM kits" probably becuase they PWM their solenoid. But all the other kits can also call their kits PWM as well if they choose. Aquamist should call it a high speed solenoid kit or something if they want to differentiate themselves. Your $8 toaster uses PWM also. It's a pretty fundamental control scheme for electronics. But you won't find any "PWM Toasters" being marketed because every other toaster uses PWM as well. It really isn't our problem that Aquamist or Vishnu feel that PWM should only be associated with their methanol kit marketing. Change the terminology to something that is unique and makes sense, and copyright it, if you want to try to brand something.

"Pulse-width modulation (PWM), or pulse-duration modulation (PDM), is a commonly used technique for controlling power to inertial electrical devices, made practical by modern electronic power switches.

The average value of voltage (and current) fed to the load is controlled by turning the switch between supply and load on and off at a fast pace. The longer the switch is on compared to the off periods, the higher the power supplied to the load is."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse-width_modulation

Mike
As I lack the electrical engineering degree in this discussion I'm just trying to get the story straight. What is if any the benefit of a PWM signal used on a so called "PPS Meth kit" if any?
Mike is unlikely to answer this question. So I will:

There is no benefit to sending a PWM signal to the pump as far as the pump is concerned. It will behave as if it were being fed a variable 0-12v analog signal.

Unlike an PWM injection valve/solenoid, the pump does not physically start and stop as the PWM signal switches states. This is due to rotor interia. Instead, it simply in increases or decreases the rotor speed which increases/decreases pump flow. So you are left with the only option of metering meth spray by adjusting injection pressure. Which is a compromised solution due to the nonlinear relationship between pressure and flow. Not to mention that below a certain pressure, atomization suffers. So you effectively have a system that is really is only functional between ~100psi and ~200psi. And I'm being generous with the max pressure because once spraying, line pressure actually drops down to ~170-180psi on a pump this is rated at "200psi" deadheaded.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 04:55 PM   #50
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
The BMS WW kit works, but its not a true PWM kit. It cannot run 50 PSI of pressure and have the same atomization of a real PWM kit at 50 PSI.

The BMS ww kit is a PPS pump, they can only atomize at 100% duty cycle. Anything less and the atomization is poor.

This is just for clarification and nothing more. If you like your kit thats great and I'm glad its working.

As for the other remarks about tunes... unless you try them all you have no opinion.

Now your are just being deceptive. You are running that solenoid at 10hz in the demo. You could never do this in a car and you know why. I can do the math again if you'd like.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 05:23 PM   #51
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Now your are just being deceptive. You are running that solenoid at 10hz in the demo. You could never do this in a car and you know why. I can do the math again if you'd like.
There is no solenoid connected in that demo. It's simply a display of line pressure vs. atomization. The CM line of nozzles atomize very well even at lower pressures.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 05:47 PM   #52
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
There is no solenoid connected in that demo. It's simply a display of line pressure vs. atomization. The CM line of nozzles atomize very well even at lower pressures.

Mike
I'm sorry I couldn't see the video on my iPhone. I erroneously assumed it was another video that you posted a while back. In this video (which i can't see unfortunately), do you have a pressure gauge displayed? Or are you just assuming that 30% DC equals 30% of max pressure?

Last edited by OpenFlash; 11-28-2011 at 05:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 05:50 PM   #53
thebigragu99
Banned
Rep
Drives: 135 tuorbbo

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 06:04 PM   #54
FastBimmerN54
Banned
Italy
Rep
Drives: Seats and a Steering Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadd View Post
I posted that link for you Child. I think you need to look in the mirror, you are the one on a high horse saying that all opinions are like butt holes and they all stink. Thanks for informing me what opinions are boy, its obvious that you are very arrogant and cannot comprehend that you just "moded" yourself.

Child? What are your michael jackson? You have an obsession with the pedophile type name calling. I comprehend just fine and that is you have no idea what your talking about.

When you want to have a technical discussion I'm ready. Until then your just beating around the bush.
Quote:

As the post above mentioned that is not with any boost pressure in the pipe. More false advertising. You guys can trick the amateurs looking to get the best bang for the buck but you cant expect to trick people doing this very years even decades on other platforms.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 06:28 PM   #55
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I'm sorry I couldn't see the video on my iPhone. I erroneously assumed it was another video that you posted a while back. In this video (which i can't see unfortunately), do you have a pressure gauge displayed? Or are you just assuming that 30% DC equals 30% of max pressure?
There is no pressure gauge in that video but it is running the minimum pump duty cycle and clearly a low volume of well atomized fluid out the nozzle. In the real world there is no reason to inject less than that or even anywhere near it. The BMS PWM kit uses 100% duty cycle as low as 7psi keeping fuel trims close to neutral and it works wonderfully as hundreds who run the WW kit have experienced. And it can always be remapped should the desire arise from 30-100% duty cycle on 6-14psi just like you run. There are quite a few things in the works on the WW kit mapping actually.

If BMS meth kit users were given the option to add the same Aquamist solenoid for say $150 extra would any of you be interested in that? There would be no real world gains but at least you would not have Shiv chiming in to every BMS WW kit thread thread with his marketing patrol. That has to be worth something!

Mike
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 06:29 PM   #56
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastBimmerN54
As the post above mentioned that is not with any boost pressure in the pipe. More false advertising. You guys can trick the amateurs looking to get the best bang for the buck but you cant expect to trick people doing this very years even decades on other platforms.
Nice try but at 30% duty cycle using Vishnu's mapping boost would only be around 6-7psi, hardly enough to make any difference. By the time you are up over 14psi you would already be ramped up to 100% duty cycle running at full pressure. BMS runs 100% duty cycle down low as it allows more reasonable open loop / fuel pressure mapping and better resistance to heat soak.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 06:36 PM   #57
Chadd
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Child? What are your michael jackson? You have an obsession with the pedophile type name calling. I comprehend just fine and that is you have no idea what your talking about.
What does MJ have to do with anything? Pedophile name calling are you serious? You are acting like a child hence why I called you a child.

Here is a little reminder for you since you cannot remember why I called you a child.

Quote:

Quote:
HAHA your a funny little Child. I say that because you are obviously ignorant to what an opinion means. Grow up boy. Here is the a link so you can understand what "opinion" means.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion

In case you didn't realize there are hundreds of threads that I can logically formulate my opinion from.

Instead of thread crapping why don't you just go and start your own thread on how their advertisement is a scam.
Quote:
Here is a thing on opinions, opinions are like butt holes, they all stink. If you've only had one tune and one meth kit, you have no experience therefore your opinions dont matter. Truth hurts. Get off your high horse that you bought the inexpensive tune and meth kit. You needed wiki pedia to learn the definition of opinion, that's sad. If you dont want to learn the truth about the parts you purchased fine.
Quote:

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 06:57 PM   #58
BrianMN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan

Quote:
Nice try but at 30% duty cycle using Vishnu's mapping boost would only be around 6-7psi, hardly enough to make any difference. By the time you are up over 14psi you would already be ramped up to 100% duty cycle running at full pressure. BMS runs 100% duty cycle down low as it allows more reasonable open loop / fuel pressure mapping and better resistance to heat soak.

Mike
Again, Mike, you are either missing the Scenario, point, or just trying to direct attention elsewhere. When you say "hardly enough to make a difference", it would appear you have no actual experience.

I'll make this easy for you: picture you are going around a sweeping corner (maybe a cloverleaf for the street racers), at 60% throttle for 6 seconds straight. Are you saying that if I were to be pumping 100% duty cycle (apx 1000ml/mn) that would be just fine?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 07:04 PM   #59
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMN View Post
Again, Mike, you are either missing the Scenario, point, or just trying to direct attention elsewhere. When you say "hardly enough to make a difference", it would appear you have no actual experience.

I'll make this easy for you: picture you are going around a sweeping corner (maybe a cloverleaf for the street racers), at 60% throttle for 6 seconds straight. Are you saying that if I were to be pumping 100% duty cycle (apx 1000ml/mn) that would be just fine?
Absolutely. You are confusing methanol mapping with boost pressure mapping. Are you worried your air intake temperature is going to get too cold through that six second turn? As long as your fuel trims are not pegging negative there is no negative drivability impact provided boost is mapped properly to throttle input.

Mike

PS. With the current JB4 WW mapping at 60% throttle input you'd be running around 8psi and zero methanol, BTW. In theory you could run from 30-100% duty cycle though providing as much or as little methanol as needed. The included CM10 nozzle does around 800-850ml/min at 100% duty cycle.

Mike

Last edited by Mike@N54Tuning.com; 11-28-2011 at 07:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 07:16 PM   #60
FastBimmerN54
Banned
Italy
Rep
Drives: Seats and a Steering Wheel

Quote:

Mike
I'm not really concerned with Vishnu or their meth kit mapping as I have neither. I'm more concerned with getting the facts straightened out. Perhaps instead of having Vishnu rename their product it might behoove BMS just to rename their kit properly. As you mentioned previously everything is PWM just like a toaster. So why even mention it?

Whether this car or said tune runs certain pressure at X psi doesnt change the fact that a traditional PPS kit even with the magical PWM signal still cannot atomize as good as a "fast acting" "pwm solenoid" with the appropriate pump.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 07:21 PM   #61
e30rus
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
What does MJ have to do with anything? Pedophile name calling are you serious? You are acting like a child hence why I called you a child.

Here is a little reminder for you since you cannot remember why I called you a child.
All your doing is eating up bandwidth with your NONSENSE.

Obviously the only child here is you, due to your lack of basic comprehension .

If Ignorance is bliss you take the cake!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 07:48 PM   #62
JBax
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

can we stop the bickering already and get back to the main topic ? if you guys want to continue your pointless debate on who is a bigger ass, do it in PMs please.
JB4, Alufelgen SF-71, DCI, VRSF DPs, Meth, AR Meth Elbow, AWE BOVs, Catless Exhaust, BMS OCC, ETS FMIC, ECS Strut Bar, ER Engine Cover, M Sport Steering Wheel Trim, LEDs, 20% Tint, Macht Schnell Spacers, ACS Roof Spoiler, ACS Pedals, ACS E-Brake Handle, Blacklines, M3 Steering Wheel w/DCT Paddles, Gunmetal Kidneys, Black Finisher Rods
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 07:58 PM   #63
Chadd
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBax View Post
can we stop the bickering already and get back to the main topic ? if you guys want to continue your pointless debate on who is a bigger ass, do it in PMs please.
Bax this thread was made because I am stoked with my results of my current mod list. Then some children had to come in here and shit on my parade. Why? If the JB4 dosent do something or if there is some false advertising somewhere start a informative thread about it.

Last edited by Chadd; 11-28-2011 at 08:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 09:52 PM   #64
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

All the tunes with the boost cranked up on meth put out roughly the same numbers.

JB4 runs the stock timing curve, the Procede advances timing 1-2 degrees, the Cobb runs 2-3 degrees under the stock timing curve on meth.

I did 424whp on a 91 degree day with the Procede rev2 last year through the stock 135i catback with mids intact on 18.5 psi peak. It was a feat back then and now more people are replicating these results, if not besting them.

At this point, expectations are about 430whp FBO+meth, 400-410whp tune+meth. Everyone's putting out roughly the same numbers. Why bicker over granular details?

Anyway, nice results OP.
      11-28-2011, 11:38 PM   #65
thebigragu99
Banned
Rep
Drives: 135 tuorbbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
I don't understand what all the warring is about.

All the tunes with the boost cranked up on meth put out roughly the same numbers.

JB4 runs the stock timing curve, the Procede advances timing 1-2 degrees, the Cobb runs 2-3 degrees under the stock timing curve on meth.

I did 424whp on a 91 degree day with the Procede rev2 last year through the stock 135i catback with mids intact on 18.5 psi peak. It was a feat back then and now more people are replicating these results, if not besting them.

At this point, expectations are about 430whp FBO+meth, 400-410whp tune+meth. Everyone's putting out roughly the same numbers. Why bicker over granular details?

Anyway, nice results OP.
Great post!In the end, all 3 tunes are good in their own ways!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 12:02 PM   #66
hemi to e90
dat boost doe
Poland
Rep
Drives: 10 335i 21 740li

wow, way to hijack a thread. reminds me why i bought a jb4