E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Modify OEM exhaust to sound like PE exhaust

12-11-2013, 11:24 AM   #749
Ripley
multipass!
Italy
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [10.00]
All correct.

1) Open only compartments of straight pipes.

2) Remove the packing (store it, just in case. Remember that it is toxic, do not breathe near it).

3) Remove the perforated pipe in the passenger side and replace it with straight pipe.

4) Remove the canister in the driver's side and replace it with straight pipe.

5) Close and re-weld without putting the packing inside (store the packing

Start the engine

If you want a louder exhaust at low revs, disconnect the cable that is located in the left rear compartment light (Golf tee mod).

Details: my car has catless downpipes and golf tee mod and stainless steel exhaust tips.

I'm happy to help
Black Sapphire E92 335i AT: VTT GC 2.0 - VTT inlets/outlet - VRSF 7'' FMIC - VRSF 3'' d p s - JB4 G5 w/ FSB - AEM meth - Fuel-It stage 2 LPFP - BMS DCI - Phoenix Racing CP - TIAL BOV - NGK 5992 - KW V3 - Dinan camber plates - Brembo 8 pot - Pagid RST3 - Mishimoto 25 row oil cooler - Quaife LSD - M3 rear bar - xHP stage 3
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2013, 11:33 AM   #750
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AzuriteBlack 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripley View Post
All correct.

1) Open only compartments of straight pipes.

2) Remove the packing (store it, just in case. Remember that it is toxic, do not breathe near it).

3) Remove the perforated pipe in the passenger side and replace it with straight pipe.

4) Remove the canister in the driver's side and replace it with straight pipe.

5) Close and re-weld without putting the packing inside (store the packing

Start the engine

If you want a louder exhaust at low revs, disconnect the cable that is located in the left rear compartment light (Golf tee mod).

Details: my car has catless downpipes and golf tee mod and stainless steel exhaust tips.

I'm happy to help

THANKS BUD!!!

Have you got anything to say regarding the below... Did you @RIPLEY have to cut the exhausts open from below to weld the straight pipes in?

"To go back to what @GLOWIN mentioned on the previous page about 'welding all the way around the new straight pipes'

Can this be done without having to cut the back boxes open from underneath and finishing the welding? I would prefer just to have all the work done from the top side and leave the bottom looking clean and stock as if nothing had been done...?
"

I have VRSF Catless DPs & 3.8" Cyba tips... but doubt they will make any difference to the noise? ... I just use the JB4 to open and close the exhaust flap anyway which is basically the same thing right.
I drive with it open all the time unless i am doing long journeys and i have people in the car chatting

Last edited by Josh1a1h; 12-11-2013 at 12:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 12:02 PM   #751
Glowin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35 & 335i now - M2/M4 next?

Once you've put in straight pipes, what's the downside to leaving in the packing? I'd think it might get rid of any unwanted frequencies and the likelihood of drone, but it's not going to reduce noise, since the perf pipes are gone.

Would seem like no downside, plus you don't have to store crap.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 12:31 PM   #752
Ripley
multipass!
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowin View Post
Once you've put in straight pipes, what's the downside to leaving in the packing? I'd think it might get rid of any unwanted frequencies and the likelihood of drone, but it's not going to reduce noise, since the perf pipes are gone.

Would seem like no downside, plus you don't have to store crap.
It should be the same.

I have not put back in the packing material because I did not find reason.
I took ispiration from the Performance Exhaust opened (as the pic below).

http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...1&d=1383781212

The vibrations are absorbed enough from the y-pipes, imho.

Anyway, try to put the packing back in, the result should be the same.

Unlike the method of Whitefury, I preferred not to open the compartments of the y-pipes because my car already has catless downpipes that make the sound louder.

Once started the engine, I immediately liked the sound and I have not made ​​other changes.
Black Sapphire E92 335i AT: VTT GC 2.0 - VTT inlets/outlet - VRSF 7'' FMIC - VRSF 3'' d p s - JB4 G5 w/ FSB - AEM meth - Fuel-It stage 2 LPFP - BMS DCI - Phoenix Racing CP - TIAL BOV - NGK 5992 - KW V3 - Dinan camber plates - Brembo 8 pot - Pagid RST3 - Mishimoto 25 row oil cooler - Quaife LSD - M3 rear bar - xHP stage 3

Last edited by Ripley; 12-13-2013 at 12:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 12:49 PM   #753
Ripley
multipass!
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1a1h View Post
THANKS BUD!!!

Have you got anything to say regarding the below... Did you @RIPLEY have to cut the exhausts open from below to weld the straight pipes in?

"To go back to what @GLOWIN mentioned on the previous page about 'welding all the way around the new straight pipes'

Can this be done without having to cut the back boxes open from underneath and finishing the welding? I would prefer just to have all the work done from the top side and leave the bottom looking clean and stock as if nothing had been done...?
"

I have VRSF Catless DPs & 3.8" Cyba tips... but doubt they will make any difference to the noise? ... I just use the JB4 to open and close the exhaust flap anyway which is basically the same thing right.
I drive with it open all the time unless i am doing long journeys and i have people in the car chatting
Read this:

Quote:
The welder can work by simply opening the bottom or the top of the muffler.

Open both sides (above and below) would be better, but would involve more time working for the welder, so it would be more expensive.

Opening only the bottom or the top of the muffler, the welder can cut the ends of the new straight pipes (like when you peel a banana ), lift the cut end of the pipe, weld in, closing and sealing.

I hope I explained in understandable terms...
We have the same downpipes, then the result should be almost identical.

A question about dps ...

I burned the original gaskets of VRSF dps. Then I tried with the original BMW gaskets ... burned those too. What gaskets use for your dps? What kind of pins and bolts? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #754
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Read this:

We have the same downpipes, then the result should be almost identical.

A question about dps ...

I burned the original gaskets of VRSF dps. Then I tried with the original BMW gaskets ... burned those too. What gaskets use for your dps? What kind of pins and bolts? Thanks
THANKS
I missed that post... That makes sense.

hmmmm re: gaskets... I used the ones which came with my DPs inc the pins and bolts...

BUT
i have recently removed my DPs and put my stock ones back on to have some warranty work done... So i am unsure whether it is a good idea to re use them...

I may ask Tiago at VRSF to send another set.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 03:28 PM   #755
Glowin
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Opening only the bottom of the muffler, the welder can cut the ends of the new straight pipes (like when you peel a banana ), lift the cut end of the pipe, weld in, closing and sealing.
I read it like 3 times, but can't visualize how it would work. I take it you don't have any pics of it... I figured worst case, if the muffler guy doesn't know how to do it (which should be a warning for me maybe not to have the job done there! LOL), I'll read out your post to him!

So would welding just the top half of the straight pipe (and leaving its bottom half not welded) probably be a half ass job?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #756
Ripley
multipass!
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowin
Quote:
Opening only the bottom of the muffler, the welder can cut the ends of the new straight pipes (like when you peel a banana ), lift the cut end of the pipe, weld in, closing and sealing.
I read it like 3 times, but can't visualize how it would work. I take it you don't have any pics of it... I figured worst case, if the muffler guy doesn't know how to do it (which should be a warning for me maybe not to have the job done there! LOL), I'll read out your post to him!

So would welding just the top half of the straight pipe (and leaving its bottom half not welded) probably be a half ass job?
This sheet of paper is a steel straight pipe.

Open it, weld inside, then close it and weld outside.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 04:18 PM   #757
Glowin
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

LOL! Grazie mille! Molto gentile! Got it!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 10:23 PM   #758
tmo24
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmo24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripley
Please tell me what tips those are. I've been looking for some like that for when I do this project. Sounds good as well.
Sorry, I'm asking about your exhaust tips. Can you tell me what exhaust tips you used and where you got them?

2007 335i Jet Black e90 6MT - Eibachs, magnaflow exhaust, carbon hood, short shift kit, some other random stuff - being sold somewhere sometime soon probably

2010 335i AW e90 6 AT Msport - The GF took this one over... JB4, PE exhaust, Koni yellows/Eibachs, pink badges, fuzzy steering wheel cover ?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 03:32 AM   #759
Ripley
multipass!
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripley
Please tell me what tips those are. I've been looking for some like that for when I do this project. Sounds good as well.
Sorry, I'm asking about your exhaust tips. Can you tell me what exhaust tips you used and where you got them?
http://www.lampa.it/it/prod-178-971-...io_diritto.asp
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 04:23 AM   #760
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

lol

thanks for the pic
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 10:16 AM   #761
Glowin
Captain
United_States
Rep

Ripley - I forget do you run with the exhaust flap open all the time? (golf tee mod)
08 335 MT (RWD) | Cobb OTS E30 maps | AMS intercooler | AR DP's | K&N filter | KW V2's | M3 front control arms | Stoptech slotted rotors & Street Performance pads | Stoptech SS brake lines w/STR 600 fluid | PE mod

X3 35 with a few little mods
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #762
Ripley
multipass!
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowin View Post
Ripley - I forget do you run with the exhaust flap open all the time? (golf tee mod)
Actually yes, I love it
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 11:27 AM   #763
Glowin
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Actually yes, I love it
And I guess you don't find it too loud having also replaced the canister on the driver's side with a straight pipe?

Since the driver's side is already louder in stock form (which is why the golf tee mod makes the car louder, since gases now go thru the driver's side all the time vs. only at higher RPM's) I'm torn whether to just do the pass side, and leave the driver's as is, with the golf tee mod. I'm worried if I do the driver's too, it might be too loud, with the golf tee mod. I've got catless DP's too.

I suppose if it was too loud, then I could always reverse the golf tee mod at least...

Thoughts? I know you said at first you just did the pass side and it wasn't loud enough for you. Did you try to run it with the golf tee mod and just the pass side modified?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #764
Ripley
multipass!
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [10.00]
Make a try.

Do the mod just on the passenger side and then take a ride with and without the valve opened.

Then decide
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 03:58 PM   #765
Glowin
Captain
United_States
Rep

Of course, in a perfect world, that's what I'd do. I figured once the car is on the lift, I'm sure the muffler shop's incremental cost for doing the second muffler will be a lot less than if I go back a second time and just do the driver's side.

But then again, I guess if I want to play it safe, that's the cost I gotta pay...
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 07:51 PM   #766
Ripley
multipass!
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowin
Of course, in a perfect world, that's what I'd do. I figured once the car is on the lift, I'm sure the muffler shop's incremental cost for doing the second muffler will be a lot less than if I go back a second time and just do the driver's side.

But then again, I guess if I want to play it safe, that's the cost I gotta pay...
Mod the muffler on the passenger side and go for a 5 minute ride. Then back to the welder...if you're not satisfied, mod the driver side too. Easy
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 07:56 PM   #767
Glowin
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Mod the muffler on the passenger side and go for a 5 minute ride. Then back to the welder...if you're not satisfied, mod the driver side too. Easy
Certo! Why didn't I think of that!

To cut holes in the top of the mufflers, do they just unclamp them and lower them, or do they need to cut them off first, then weld them back on?

This pic got me thinking some cutting of the exhaust is needed to access the tops...

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 11:58 PM   #768
Ripley
multipass!
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [10.00]
You have to cut it, or remove all the exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 08:08 AM   #769
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You have to cut it, or remove all the exhaust.
It must be simple enough to unbolt from the secondary cat back right? Or is it one piece... i cannot remember from when i was last under there...

It would make it better from a warranty perspective as they would never know that they were modded if there is no need to drop the exhaust.... No weld marks etc..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 10:35 AM   #770
osukf09
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3 ZCP

Figured I'd let you guys know I'm getting this work done by a muffler shop in LA right now. Still debating between whitefury and ripley's method, but am leaning towards ripley's. Not touching anything but the mufflers for now.

Will update and let you guys know how it sounds. Full stock exhaust setup with flapper disabled.
Appreciate 0