E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Motul 5W-40 Oil

01-03-2017, 07:35 PM   #67
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
sorry but no way - that's much further than 15k.

and again, it's not "15k". There's no fixed number (except an absolute maximum regardless of the oil sensor data) - it's condition & use based!
Is up to you whether you will believe it or not. I'm telling you is 15k. Photo is taken at my shop by my mechanics iphone 5s. Filters is on a x5. Also this "absolute maximum " and "oil sensor data" is irrelevant. Do you know what happens when customer finds out that recommended OCI is scheduled at 15k? They wait until 15k. Most don't know what oil grade goes into the engine let alone if it is BMW approved or not and what the certification stands for. At the gas station when display shows add oil they will grab the cheapest bottle. Is just the nature of the human. Customers certainly didn't purchase their BMW so they have to learn all of these information. Customers could care less. Put in D and push the gas pedal. That is it. Now, I know the difference between 0w-40 and 15w-40. I'm not here arguing that. I just don't really care about LL-01 or LL-04. Nor believe that one must use only those in particular engine.
Appreciate 1
STR8-6IX550.00
      01-03-2017, 09:23 PM   #68
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Do you know all the history of that engine? What oil id it have?
Is it possible that it had some regular, maybe even dino 5W30 oil that waited 15K miles on that engine, maybe even more than a year and probably multiple times like that?

I have a friend with X5, E70 don't remember the exact year but has a lot of years on it. From what I know he goes with what computer says and probably even missing to change oil on time. I had done the valve cover gasket and ofhg gasket for him, seen nothing like that. And he didn't know what long life 01 was until I had told him he needed that while changing those. Places he took for oil change probably put good oil, don't know. The oil filter that was used was not a good one, had stuck and crimbled but still one piece, when I had removed it. But engine was fine looking, no visible sludge or anything and oil filter housing had nothing like that.

If I was doing 5K mile changes I wouldn't be that much interested in ll-01 spec. But as the name of the spec says it is for "long life", I go sometimes CBS or full year (which is usually later), sometimes half year if I am already working on the car. So I look for LL01. I did oil pan gasket last winter on my car, engine looked all clean. A few months ago removed vanos selonoid to clean, and with 100Kmiles on them, they didn't even need any cleaning.

If LL01 and CBS was bad and detrimental, 11 years have passed since the first N52's produced, there should have been a good number of engines with problems around.

Last edited by PhaseP; 01-03-2017 at 09:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 12:43 AM   #69
r4dr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: various BMWs

CBS isn't bullshit, here's real proof instead of people throwing around random anecdotes and pictures of gunked up engines: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...Miles_--_13_BM

This thread is turning out to be one of the worst on here...
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 08:37 AM   #70
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseP View Post
Do you know all the history of that engine? What oil id it have?
Is it possible that it had some regular, maybe even dino 5W30 oil that waited 15K miles on that engine, maybe even more than a year and probably multiple times like that?
146k total dealer maintained. OCI every 15k. Engine was throwing camshaft fault codes. When owners was told the quote decided to look for an indy of course. Now, if dealer tech skipped the filter last OCI I don't know. Is possible. Is all possible. I just go by what was presented a front of me. Bottom line is, these cars are consumable items, customers don't need to know, and most importantly DON'T want to how the engine runs, what oil it uses, what is LL-01 and such. I have seen engines, clean engines, that had long OCI, 30k and up in some cases. However that is not the norm because we have a lot of variables, how the vehicle was used, where and when? So I think is better to stick with more frequent OCI's.
Appreciate 1
STR8-6IX550.00
      01-04-2017, 09:20 AM   #71
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

that's why CBS works - because it takes into account those variables, like how it was used, and *oil quality data from the sensor*. It is NOT a 15k scheduled oil change and the light goes off!

either that oil change was way, way longer than 15k, or they did not use the right oil and filter.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 10:38 AM   #72
blackhawkk22
They don't want you to drive a 335i - DJ Khaled
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW 335i AT M-Sport

Easily the worst thread on this forum. Clear disregard of facts are being trumped by biased opinions and one-off experiences.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 12:05 PM   #73
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Is up to you whether you will believe it or not. I'm telling you is 15k. Photo is taken at my shop by my mechanics iphone 5s. Filters is on a x5. Also this "absolute maximum " and "oil sensor data" is irrelevant. Do you know what happens when customer finds out that recommended OCI is scheduled at 15k? They wait until 15k. Most don't know what oil grade goes into the engine let alone if it is BMW approved or not and what the certification stands for. At the gas station when display shows add oil they will grab the cheapest bottle. Is just the nature of the human. Customers certainly didn't purchase their BMW so they have to learn all of these information. Customers could care less. Put in D and push the gas pedal. That is it. Now, I know the difference between 0w-40 and 15w-40. I'm not here arguing that. I just don't really care about LL-01 or LL-04. Nor believe that one must use only those in particular engine.
I did 8 oil changes that were over 17,000 miles each. My filter never degraded and was as ridgid as the new filter going in. I've posted numerous pics on E90 Post of both the bottom end and valvetrain, not a spec of sludge anywhere. You've posted one data point of an engine you have no honest valid history on. I've got 23 oil changes over 10 years of history on my engine, which will turn 316,000 this week. BMW oil and filter.

What you posted is not the norm.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 12:40 PM   #74
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
that's why CBS works - because it takes into account those variables, like how it was used, and *oil quality data from the sensor*. It is NOT a 15k scheduled oil change and the light goes off!
either that oil change was way, way longer than 15k, or they did not use the right oil and filter.
Happens a lot. Just recently friends 535xi was throwing exhaust Vanos codes. Service done at BMW dealer. Guess what? Tech installed the new 0-ring for the return oil without removing the old o-ring. True about CBS. I agree. However, still fails to factor in the most important variable - driver/owner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawkk22 View Post
Easily the worst thread on this forum. Clear disregard of facts are being trumped by biased opinions and one-off experiences.
Yes, is not the best thread, but just to be clear, I'm biased only toward short OCI. I see it at my job OCI's scheduled at 18k, 30k and 45k depending mostly of oil type used. From what I see wear out and breakdowns go up on units with long OCI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I did 8 oil changes that were over 17,000 miles each. My filter never degraded and was as ridgid as the new filter going in. I've posted numerous pics on E90 Post of both the bottom end and valvetrain, not a spec of sludge anywhere. You've posted one data point of an engine you have no honest valid history on. I've got 23 oil changes over 10 years of history on my engine, which will turn 316,000 this week. BMW oil and filter.
What you posted is not the norm.
Yes, is not that I disagree with you, very limited data and not representing the norm. But is kind of the same with you. You are not the norm. Most drivers are not on top of their vehicle maintenance and repairs. Nor they can DIY for that matter. Most drivers "ignore" the issues, or gently putting it, they prolong having to to to the shop. What do you think happens to the engines of these vehicle owners when they find out that you can average 14k from oil change to oil change? They will need either new engine or repair that will not justify keeping the car. So your example isn't the norm neither. We have presented samples of the very opposite spectrum.
Appreciate 0