E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Thinking of buying 330i/325i: How do they compare to Acura TL?

01-26-2006, 02:29 PM   #67
Pretender
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i, 07 328i, 16 X1, >17M2

Garage List
06 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen52
1) I
3) I see statements saying that there's enough room for 6 footers in the back of the E90 but I am going to have to dispute that claim. I am no taller than 5' 11" but my head, not hair, brushes the headliner when I sit in the back of my own car. It borders on uncomfortable, not that I've ever been there for a long time or while the car was moving. So unless I am very awkwardly proportioned (hope someone would have noticed by now), the backseat of the E90 is not a happy place for 6' and taller passengers for any long periods of time.
I still stand by my post regarding to the rear seat in 330i that would be fine for a 6-foot tall guy. As I said, I was driving my car with 3 friends from San Jose to Sacramento (~130 miles), a 5 ft 9 guy in the front pass. seat and the 5 ft 10 one right behind him in the rear. I asked him if he was okay in the back and he told me it was perfectly fine. Maybe my friend with regular build (170lbs) didn't have big feet (size 11?) and happened to sit in the right rear. So he felt comfortable throughout the trip back and forth.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2006, 02:57 PM   #68
Hunter399
Major General
Rep
Drives: F90M5

Lets seeeeee one is a Honda and the other is a BMW.......
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2006, 03:00 PM   #69
carklat
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 330XI

I traded in a 2004 TL with navigation yesterday on a 330xi with iDrive. A couple of quick observations. The Bluetooth works much better, and the phone book transferred where in the TL you had to manaully enter names and phone numbers. It also seems like the voice recognition is superior to what it was in the TL. I rarely used it in the TL because it didn't understand me. In using the voice recognition in the BMW last night and this morning, it never missed one of my commands. Though this is an individual taste thing, I think the BMW is just a much better looking vehicle. While I liked the TL, I love the BMW. It is just an amazing drive.
      01-26-2006, 08:16 PM   #70
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter399@mac.com
"one is a honda"...."one is a toyota"......"one is a volkswagon"......

i think anyone with half a brain would figure that out!
      01-26-2006, 09:35 PM   #71
RyBMW
Major
Rep
Drives: X5

Garage List
2012 BMW X5  [0.00]
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by D&G
You would not go wrong going with either vehicle. Here are the benefits I find comparing the TL and 330i:

1) TL is faster if comparing auto to auto/manual to manual.
2) TL has a better Navigation System if not one of the best in the market today. Voice activated and touch screan and ease of use.
3) TL is more roomier and feels more luxury and has nicer interior. (Guages are glowing blue/red with blue ambient light)
4) TL you will save yourself a good $4000-7000 because the TL comes fully loaded and the 330i you would have to add sport/premium package just to get what the TL comes with.
5) BMW 330i is a more fun vehicle to drive overall.
6) BMW handles better and is a true Sporty Sedan
7) BMW is a more solid built car over the TL.
8) BMW over Acura....Branding!!!!

Those are my honest opinion so take your pick. Let us know what you end up with.

1. TL is not faster.

2. TL does have the better navi. The best navi right now.

3. TL is roomier but not more luxurious. Interior looks nice but material and craftmanship is subpar.

4. TL is cheaper but you get what you pay for. Name one thing that the sports package on the 330i gets that the TL already has besides the memory seats? I wouldn't call the TL's suspension setup a sports suspension.

5. 330i is definitely the more exciting car to drive.

6. E90 is one of the only true sports sedans.

7. TL build quality is terrible.

8. Buy a car you like not just based on the brand.

If you want to save some money and also want a fun and exciting car to drive than 325i and G35 are better picks.

Old: 08 E92 335i|Space Gray/Coral Red/Gray Poplar

Old: 06 E90 330i|Black Sapphire/Black /Burl
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2006, 09:38 PM   #72
RyBMW
Major
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW X5  [0.00]
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by carklat
I traded in a 2004 TL with navigation yesterday on a 330xi with iDrive. A couple of quick observations. The Bluetooth works much better, and the phone book transferred where in the TL you had to manaully enter names and phone numbers. It also seems like the voice recognition is superior to what it was in the TL. I rarely used it in the TL because it didn't understand me. In using the voice recognition in the BMW last night and this morning, it never missed one of my commands. Though this is an individual taste thing, I think the BMW is just a much better looking vehicle. While I liked the TL, I love the BMW. It is just an amazing drive.
I despised the bluetooth system in the TL. It would take forever to make a call. You can only dial by voice.

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2006, 09:44 PM   #73
DTM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretender
I still stand by my post regarding to the rear seat in 330i that would be fine for a 6-foot tall guy. As I said, I was driving my car with 3 friends from San Jose to Sacramento (~130 miles), a 5 ft 9 guy in the front pass. seat and the 5 ft 10 one right behind him in the rear. I asked him if he was okay in the back and he told me it was perfectly fine. Maybe my friend with regular build (170lbs) didn't have big feet (size 11?) and happened to sit in the right rear. So he felt comfortable throughout the trip back and forth.
If people have an issue with footroom they can always take off their shoes to fit their feet under the seat. Don't know how formal this is tho. I always do it on long trips when I sit in the rear.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2006, 09:51 PM   #74
RGRAY
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi SG/TERRA/STEP/SP/HS/CA

Garage List
2006 BMW 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter399@mac.com
I Have been driving Hondas for 21 years (I have a loaded 1998 now and I'm keeping it), but I though it was time for something FUN.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/e90gar...20TINT%20A.jpg

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2006, 10:40 PM   #75
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyBMW

TL build quality is terrible? This is a person who already has a biased opinion about anything compare to his BMW.Gotta wake up and smell the roses buddy.....believe me, I love my E90, but I wouldn't go on and bash other car brands like that without conclusive evidence.

quality/reliability.....BMW is not even in the same boat with automakers like Lexus and Acura.....
but different automakers target different drivers/buyers.

If you wanted to keep both cars to 200,000 miles.....most likely, it will cost you at
least 4 times more to maintain the BMW than the TL.......that is just a fact!
Attached Images

Last edited by NaTuReB0Y; 01-27-2006 at 12:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2006, 12:22 AM   #76
D&G
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyBMW
1. TL is not faster.

2. TL does have the better navi. The best navi right now.

3. TL is roomier but not more luxurious. Interior looks nice but material and craftmanship is subpar.

4. TL is cheaper but you get what you pay for. Name one thing that the sports package on the 330i gets that the TL already has besides the memory seats? I wouldn't call the TL's suspension setup a sports suspension.

5. 330i is definitely the more exciting car to drive.

6. E90 is one of the only true sports sedans.

8. Buy a car you like not just based on the brand.

If you want to save some money and also want a fun and exciting car to drive than 325i and G35 are better picks.

As much as I love the E90 I would have to disagree with you in terms of TL is not faster than E90. Have you driven a TL before??? Have you seen the #'s. If we compare auto to auto or manual to manual the TL is a bit faster. I would really like to say the E90 is faster but I think BMW should of upped the torque band and that might help but TL has a much quicker response and pick up than we do. The TL is a pretty fast car if you haven't driven one. Go test drive one for a good 30mins and come back to your own car and tell me that the TL is slower. No way!!!

Secondly...I love the E90's I-drive which has significantly improved compare to the not user friendly from the same technology as the 7series. But BMW has made a huge stride to improve the I-drive which they have but I find the TL has a smarter and user friendly Navi.

You should really check out the TL and test drive one before making these assumptions here. I would love to say the E90 is a perfect car and beats every car in the mkt today. No car today is perfect and all cars are good in one way and bad another. It all comes down to personal perferences!!! For me I would choose the E90 no doubt about. But that doesn't make me telling other members here otherwise just the fact I am a E90 fan. I think ppl who bashes other cars are jealous of the other car. I have my pride with the E90 so no need to go there.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2006, 12:27 AM   #77
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&G
As much as I love the E90 I would have to disagree with you in terms of TL is not faster than E90. Have you driven a TL before??? Have you seen the #'s. If we compare auto to auto or manual to manual the TL is a bit faster. I would really like to say the E90 is faster but I think BMW should of upped the torque band and that might help but TL has a much quicker response and pick up than we do. The TL is a pretty fast car if you haven't driven one. Go test drive one for a good 30mins and come back to your own car and tell me that the TL is slower. No way!!!

Secondly...I love the E90's I-drive which has significantly improved compare to the not user friendly from the same technology as the 7series. But BMW has made a huge stride to improve the I-drive which they have but I find the TL has a smarter and user friendly Navi.

You should really check out the TL and test drive one before making these assumptions here. I would love to say the E90 is a perfect car and beats every car in the mkt today. No car today is perfect and all cars are good in one way and bad another. It all comes down to personal perferences!!! For me I would choose the E90 no doubt about. But that doesn't make me telling other members here otherwise just the fact I am a E90 fan. I think ppl who bashes other cars are jealous of the other car. I have my pride with the E90 so no need to go there.
I agreed. Some BMW owners are so close-minded...try looking outside the box!
      01-27-2006, 12:36 AM   #78
RyBMW
Major
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW X5  [0.00]
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaTuReB0Y
TL build quality is terrible? This is a person who already has a biased opinion about anything compare his BMW.
Gotta wake up and smell the roses buddy.....believe me, I love my E90, but I wouldn't go on and bash other car brands like that without conclusive evidence.

quality/reliability.....BMW is not even in the same boat with automakers like Lexus and Acura.....
but different automakers target different drivers/buyers.

If you wanted to keep both cars to 200,000 miles.....most likely, it will cost you at
least 4 times more to maintain the BMW than the TL.......that is just a fact!
This is a person who already has a biased opinion about anything compare his BMW?
Get your facts straight before you make assumptions. I do not think BMW is the best automaker in the world. I suggest you read my past posts.
There are not that many automakers out that I can beat BMW. Lexus and Infiniti are top two companies that I think definitely has a chance. I'm even considering the 2nd gen G35 coupe. I might even consider getting the IS350 if it was offered with a manual.

You're getting quality and reliability mixed together. Honda/Acura are reliable. I have no doubt about that. I'm talking about quality, build quality.

I owned a 03 Accord coupe, 3 04 TLs.
03 Accord coupe had interior parts fitted together poorly. Bumpers that don't fit evenly. Bumper paint doesn't match body paint.
I had 3 TLs because I bought a AT TL at first and wanted a manual. The first manual I received had the paint on the bumper bubbled up from the factory. Dealer gave me a new TL.
I had paint peeling on the front bumper and hood. The front bumper was fitted poorly at the factory and had the headlight scraping the paint off. Grille was fitted poorly also and was chipping the paint off the hood. Gaps when the glove compartment is closed. Gaps when the front doors are closed. Third brake light leaks onto the back window. Doors not aligned properly. Leather wrinkled badly after a while. Rattles everywhere. Drooping headliner. Paint on bumper doesn't match paint on body. I could go on and on and on.

I'm bashing based on my own evidence. Read my past posts and you'll see that I only bash on cars that I owned and hated because of problems. So, please get your facts straight next time.

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2006, 12:39 AM   #79
RyBMW
Major
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW X5  [0.00]
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by D&G

Have I driven a TL before? I had 3. The TL has no low end torque.

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2006, 12:40 AM   #80
NaTuReB0Y