E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > JAG XF - old mans car?

08-30-2010, 09:43 AM   #67
Penyfan1960
Trooper
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D M-Sport Le Mans Blue

Aluminium on the dashboard? Too much like boy racer to me!
I have always thought that aluminium is more suited to go carts. As one gets older one tends to grow out of that stuff. It's sooo childish!
But some still want to pretend!
However, on the XF, which I believe the one I road tested had - it did look something special. A very nice motor indeed!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 03:58 PM   #68
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

Talking

I've gone down to my carpark a few times the last few days and it looks like someone has bought a Jaguar XJ.

Not one of those tweed jacket old ones, one of the new models like this:

http://www.motorauthority.com/image/...aguar-xj-sedan

It looks really, really nice

So nice I think I could actually go out and buy one - or an XF - the next time I'm shopping for a car.

Problem is though, I just asked Mrs Shang about Jags and she still thinks that only old men or diplomats drive them.

Maybe Jaguar should give an XJ each to David Beckham, Brad Pitt and Clive Owen.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 03:15 PM   #69
Ti Rich
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S D

I wonder how many of the XF knockers have actually driven one?

I have driven the XF Diesels and XFR and they are very good indeed. To me the diesels are a little too smooth on the power delivery and don't feel "that fast", even though they are.

With regards to the old man image i think the XF can be configured in a sporty, young persons mode (20" alloys, Day time LED running lights, Aero kit, Active suspension, B&W sound system) - a bit like a BMW M-Sport models dare i suggest?

Or, for the more traditional buyers loose all the above and keep the 17" alloys and AM/FM radio.

The XF really can meet both ends of the buyers spectrum in my view and succeed at both ends.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 03:19 PM   #70
jwbmw
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XF S

Garage List
Follow this link

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/252491/

and look at this E9x died in the wool types!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 05:53 PM   #71
verma
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d M Sport Coupe

XF is a lovely car, one of the best interiors I have ever seen and the B&W sounds FANTASTIC!! Def not an old mans car, although the old man has one :-)
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 06:56 PM   #72
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

Everyone SAYS that are stylish and not an old-man car but nobody has actually seen anyone other than an old man drive one

Quote:
Originally Posted by verma View Post
XF is a lovely car,...Def not an old mans car, although the old man has one :-)
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 03:12 AM   #73
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
Stick them in a hot wash to shrink them a bit then shed 200kgs and they'd be a 335d worrier in diesel form.

As it is they are just that bit too big. Nice looking though unlike the new XJ which is grim.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 05:54 AM   #74
Irnbrukid
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Imaginary M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335diesel View Post
Stick them in a hot wash to shrink them a bit then shed 200kgs and they'd be a 335d worrier in diesel form.

As it is they are just that bit too big. Nice looking though unlike the new XJ which is grim.
But its a competitor for the 5 matt not the 3... i'd 3.0d portfolio v 530d
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 06:55 AM   #75
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
Okay, stick it in a warm wash and shed 100kgs...!

It's certainly prettier than the outgoing 5er. I'm really warming to the new 5er so think XF vs 5 is a close one looks wise. Not driven either so basing my opinion merely on some pics of the 5 and a few gawps at an XF.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 07:11 AM   #76
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

I visited the Jag dealer last week, had a good look around 2 XF's. A few comments then

The leather on the basic one (Luxury Spec) isnt perforated, but in my eyes looks much less old man than the higher grade perforated leather in the higher specced one (Premium Luxury).

The cars looked good, and the ergonomics are good. The interior feels high quality, esp with leather topped dashboards/door cappings. Only downer being the quality of the plastics that surround the magic cock wheel which are a bit low rent. And you cant escape wood unless you get an XFR

The chrome makes it look a bit old man (like it does on my 335i), however on I noticed a couple taking delivery of their 60 plate, light metallic blue and beige interior XF who were definately OAP's.

Therefore, I deduce they are on old mans car, but In the right colour combo, with 20" wheels and the 's' engine, I will be severely tempted once they hit £30k on the forecourts because the older I get, the less of a flying **** i give.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 08:25 PM   #77
cwoodffr
Rep
Drives: 01 S4, 335i Coupe on order

Stumbled upon this discussion and had to post....although I am in Canada (The commonwealth!)

I have owned 3rd Gen RX-7, Audi S4, 335i Coupe and now a 2010 Supercharged XF.

I am VERY picky about the personality match of a car. I grew up with an uncle that was Jag obsessed and I had always admired the refinement but always thought of them as wooly rug, ascot wearing, perhaps some gold chains with a low buttoned shirt. I remember at 17 he let me take his mid 80's V12 XJS out and being amazed at how silky it was and how fancy I felt driving it.....but he seemed OLD.

I would NEVER have looked at owning a Jag until the XF arrived. I loved the 335i coupe I had for 2 years but found it kind of bland inside and slowly started to feel like the 3's were everywhere. I also noted that the sportier variants started to attract an owner type I didn't want to be associated with. It seems to me that every coupe is either a douchy looking young guy or a female real estate agent. I thought maybe M3....but that seemed even worse! Shaved heads and backwards baseball caps. (gross generalizations I know) I do love the sound of a wailing m3...but I just couldn't do it.

I wanted something different and less common and I wanted something with BALLS....but being mid 40's wanted something a bit more grown up.

The XF has a supercharged 5L and produces 470HP even in non XFR form. The paddle shift is just like SMG complete with throttle blips on downshift etc....and if you hold a gear and get off the throttle you get that great and nasty crackling and backfiring should you be in the mood. The Bowers and Wilkins sound kicks a** and the interior and car just seems to have more soul than the BMW.

I don't feel old driving it, it gets more looks than any other car I have owned (next to the AC Cobra I had for a while) and it is a blast to drive. I'm taking it Autocrossing tomorrow to see what it can do.

In my mind the XF has changed the face of Jag. All of that said, it is more valid to compare to the 5 series and A6...but I don't think that's what the OP was asking.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 10:36 PM   #78
merchomini
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Touareg VR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjs View Post
I really fancy one of these next, ideally the XF-s Soot Chucker. Soon as they are £30k which shouldnt be too long.

Followed one on the local autobahn recently and it was nearly as quick as my 335i. Well impressive.

However, its a Jag, and when I mention it to some collegues, friends etc, they all say its an old mans car.

What do you think?

And before any says dont worry about what other people think about our choioces, 99% of us do. And i'm 38, so to some of you I'll be an old bastard anyway. Dont act it though
i dont think its an old mans car really, especially if you get the super charged one, if i needed that size of a car then i would probably much rather buy that then a merc or audi or anything other than a bimmer in that size.....but for me my next car is an m3 or m5 but again i dont need anything the size of a 5 series.

but i like it alot to, if u need that space or want that space do it, good looking car
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 02:05 AM   #79
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Me and the wife went to see one before I bought my 335i. Was just a bit too grown up for me. Beautifully designed, and much more interesting overall than the E90 but was just a little bit too sensible for me ( it's also bigger than the E90). Maybe when I pass the 30 mark I'll feel more differently....
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 02:22 AM   #80
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D E90 LCI Msport

I'd have one (i'm 36)... if it performed as well as the BMW equivilent, but I have a feeling it doesn't. I just read a review of the higher powered Diesel and they questioned the 0-60 because its down on power to the 535d and heavier - so 5.9 seconds is a bit hard to believe?

"Back in the real world, the Diesel S simply doesn't feel to have the catapult thrust of the BM. Where the 535d simply flings itself to the horizon with occasionally worrying vigour, the Jag is merely rapid in most circumstances."

But, I dont really care about image... if looks good, is made well and goes like stink then I'll have one!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2148&pictureid=44259
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 02:46 AM   #81
wezzie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanziBarn View Post
I'd have one (i'm 36)... if it performed as well as the BMW equivilent, but I have a feeling it doesn't. I just read a review of the higher powered Diesel and they questioned the 0-60 because its down on power to the 535d and heavier - so 5.9 seconds is a bit hard to believe?

"Back in the real world, the Diesel S simply doesn't feel to have the catapult thrust of the BM. Where the 535d simply flings itself to the horizon with occasionally worrying vigour, the Jag is merely rapid in most circumstances."

But, I dont really care about image... if looks good, is made well and goes like stink then I'll have one!
Now mr Cowell has left X factor mr Barlow and crew have to put up with them
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 03:28 AM   #82
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by wezzie View Post
Now mr Cowell has left X factor mr Barlow and crew have to put up with them
They are XJs not XFs.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 01:39 PM   #83
wezzie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
They are XJs not XFs.
Close
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 08:18 PM   #84
rovers_andy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335D M-Sport Coupe

(I'm 26) Before i bought the 335D i was torn between the XF, A5 3.0 and Merc 350 E class CDI. The things that put me off the jag......well i only ever saw old men driving them, i kept thinking they were a mondeo with a Jaguar skin and to get the spec i wanted 2nd hand they were still pushing 30K!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 12:10 AM   #85
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
They are XJs not XFs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wezzie View Post
Close
Please explain your 'close' comment.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 07:02 AM   #86
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovers_andy View Post
(I'm 26) Before i bought the 335D i was torn between the XF, A5 3.0 and Merc 350 E class CDI. The things that put me off the jag......well i only ever saw old men driving them, i kept thinking they were a mondeo with a Jaguar skin and to get the spec i wanted 2nd hand they were still pushing 30K!
The now defunct X Type was based on the Mundano.

XF completely new platform.