E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest > Arizona E9x Owners

View Poll Results: Who wants a meet in the Phoenix area ?
I do !! 10 83.33%
I will pass 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

01-13-2012, 06:38 AM   #903
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Yeah but they come with a fully loaded 08 Dinan 3 coupe. Or the wheeels and tires(michelin pilot super sports) for $2800 or just the wheels for $2000
      01-14-2012, 04:56 PM   #904
dmode
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Hi All - I will be driving to Snowbowl tomorrow and the forecast says that there is 30% chance of snow. I have the 335 coupe and summer RFTs. Do I need to worry about driving in the snow ? Or are the roads generally clear around Flagstaff. I have heard people had bad experience with their RWD cars and low profile RFTs in the snow
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 06:17 PM   #905
AllydNYC
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 91' E30 318is

Garage List
1991 BMW 318is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmode
Hi All - I will be driving to Snowbowl tomorrow and the forecast says that there is 30% chance of snow. I have the 335 coupe and summer RFTs. Do I need to worry about driving in the snow ? Or are the roads generally clear around Flagstaff. I have heard people had bad experience with their RWD cars and low profile RFTs in the snow
Can't answer your question but let me know how you like Snowbowl. I've been wanting to go with a few friends but couldn't find anyone who personally went.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 07:33 PM   #906
Schm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmode View Post
Hey,

I understand your predicament, I am from the midwest originally and I we have to deal with snow often. We had my e9x and used to have an e-320cdi mercedes. While at the time both were on asts, they still don't get around very well in the snow. On such short notice, I would recommend for sure putting a sandbag in the trunk, in order to increase grip on the rear. Also, and I'm sure this is obvious, but if you end up driving in the snow or even if it starts to sleet or something, drive very cautiously, watching turns and especially not tailgating: I have been re-eneded before in the snow by dumbasses following too close, it takes way more distance to stop in the snow.

Also, if you end up driving in the snow, don't pace other traffic. This is a rookie (AKA arizonan) mistake. Especially on summer tires, drive at a pace that you feel comfortable with and if you start to loose traction, don't slam on the breaks (they'll lock up, you'll lose control), stop gradually and if you need to, go onto the hard shoulder or ditch, anything is better than into the back of the car in front of you.

Hope this helps, and hope you don't end up driving in the snow in the first place.
      01-15-2012, 12:48 AM   #907
E90Mario
Brigadier General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: ESS E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmode
I just came back from flag two days ago.. barley any snow.. You shouldn't be worried about driving there, just a bit of snow and ice at the snowbowl parking.. If you've ever been skiing or snowboarding in Europe don't expect much from snowbowl haha
      01-15-2012, 04:00 PM   #908
NoPwrOvrMe
Your Master.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' Charger SRT, 07' G55 AMG

How's it going. From Orange California but am currently stationed here in Sierra Vista, Arizona. Anyone in the area?
      01-16-2012, 03:06 AM   #909
Schm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Up in Tucson, currently getting rained on.

but at least it's not snow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARIO K View Post
I just came back from flag two days ago.. barley any snow.. You shouldn't be worried about driving there, just a bit of snow and ice at the snowbowl parking.. If you've ever been skiing or snowboarding in Europe don't expect much from snowbowl haha
P.S. what is "Snowbowl?" Like one of those places where they make artificial snow and bunny hops and such? I thought there actually were a few good places to ski in Arizona-not that I have any interest in skiing as I'm terribly uncoordinated.

Last edited by Schm; 01-16-2012 at 03:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 11:07 AM   #910
az335idesi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBCC562 View Post
How's it going. From Orange California but am currently stationed here in Sierra Vista, Arizona. Anyone in the area?
im not in the area..but one of my best friends manages a hotel there..hes pretty bored in sierra vista too lol
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 11:09 AM   #911
NoPwrOvrMe
Your Master.
United_States
Rep

Yeah there isn't anything to do in sierra vista. I just transferred here Friday and I've already pretty much done everything here.
      01-16-2012, 11:22 AM   #912
tbracing
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 1993 318I/ 2011 335i

Hey AZ people, I'm heading back home soon and have a few questions. I have a 2011 335i, what exhaust mods can I do that won't effect emissions testing without having to remove them each time? I know we have a few cats but how many can be removed and or using cat less DP's? thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 07:03 PM   #913
peepayy_91
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBCC562 View Post
up in tucson as well if you ever make the trip more to do here. guaranteed. even more in phx
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 07:51 PM   #914
NoPwrOvrMe
Your Master.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by peepayy_91 View Post
up in tucson as well if you ever make the trip more to do here. guaranteed. even more in phx
Yeah this is the second time I was stationed here in Fort Huachuca. Last time I went up to tucson every weekend just to have something to do.
      01-16-2012, 08:27 PM   #915
Quisp
United_States
Rep

Have you checked conditions at Sunrise? They usually have better seasons that Snowbowl.
      01-17-2012, 03:18 PM   #916
AllydNYC
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
1991 BMW 318is  [0.00]
Just got a ticket for going 78 in a 65 on the 202, was measured by 'pace' no radar derp. Guess he didn't like my NY plate or license! : Not sure how things work out here? Advisable to get a lawyer? Clean driving record.

Last edited by AllydNYC; 02-29-2012 at 02:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 03:46 PM   #917
kred
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 328i 6mt

Does anyone have any good locations to do a little photoshoot during daylight? My friend and I, who rides a Ducati, were looking for somewhere in the Phoenix area to shoot. It can be a landscape background or even an old warehouse...I'm open to options.

Thanks in advance!
      01-17-2012, 04:01 PM   #918
tbracing
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 1993 318I/ 2011 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kred View Post
Does anyone have any good locations to do a little photoshoot during daylight? My friend and I, who rides a Ducati, were looking for somewhere in the Phoenix area to shoot. It can be a landscape background or even an old warehouse...I'm open to options.

Thanks in advance!
Pinnacle Peak park, South Mountain, Scottsdale Civic Center just to name a few. Depends what background your looking for and how far you wanna ride to take some pictures.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 06:45 PM   #919
Quisp
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllydNYC View Post
Just got a ticket for going 78 in a 65 on the 202, was measured by 'pace' no radar derp. Guess he didn't like my NY plate or license! : Not sure how things work out here? Advisable to get a lawyer? Clean driving record.
If it was DPS then a lawyer probably wont do much good. Their tickets tend to stick. I dont know if you can do defensive driving school with DPS tickets. If you can then that is the way to go. Costs about $100 or so. Spend 8 hours in a class and get no points or record. Can only do it once every so many years.
I got nailed by dps doing 100 on the 60. I reach out to hand him my license and insurance and he slaps cuffs on me. Imagine my surprise. Screwed up though when he said he was surprised I didnt see him since he was foillowing me since I was doing 80. So he let me go from 80 to 100 before he turned on the lights and pulled me over. Not a very safe thing to do.
What was he driving? I have seen themn in a pickup, SUV, a gold sedan and white charger on the 202. All unmarked, most with no light bar (one had a real low profile one)or anything other than the lights that are in the grill which you cant see until it is too late.
You can try but I doint thin you will have much luck especially since he was pacing you. Cant argue the radar was off or anything. They dont like BMWs too much and with out of state tags. Did he get you for the new yourk plates? That is a biggie ($$$$$) and city police love that one
      01-17-2012, 09:42 PM   #920
AllydNYC
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
1991 BMW 318is  [0.00]

Last edited by AllydNYC; 02-29-2012 at 02:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 03:11 AM   #921
soulja620
Cpl D
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

^^ technically, you can argue, and demand for all their certs, crudentials, testing, machine calibration dates, when they recieved their radar qualifications, ect, ect, ect.. theyre required to give you those afterward.. You werent criminal speeding. I would go for it... if you break down their credibility, youre clean...
worse that could happen is you take the class
      01-18-2012, 06:52 AM   #922
Quisp
United_States
Rep

You cant fight it and go to class. It is aone or the other kind of thing.
This is from the AZcourts website

"Once the course begins you give up your option to go to Court and for a refund of your class fees."

http://www.azcourts.gov/drive/Freque...Questions.aspx

I would take the course on this one and save the lawyer for the next one when you dont have the option of the class.
      01-18-2012, 10:05 AM   #923
dmode
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schm View Post
Hey,

I understand your predicament, I am from the midwest originally and I we have to deal with snow often. We had my e9x and used to have an e-320cdi mercedes. While at the time both were on asts, they still don't get around very well in the snow. On such short notice, I would recommend for sure putting a sandbag in the trunk, in order to increase grip on the rear. Also, and I'm sure this is obvious, but if you end up driving in the snow or even if it starts to sleet or something, drive very cautiously, watching turns and especially not tailgating: I have been re-eneded before in the snow by dumbasses following too close, it takes way more distance to stop in the snow.

Also, if you end up driving in the snow, don't pace other traffic. This is a rookie (AKA arizonan) mistake. Especially on summer tires, drive at a pace that you feel comfortable with and if you start to loose traction, don't slam on the breaks (they'll lock up, you'll lose control), stop gradually and if you need to, go onto the hard shoulder or ditch, anything is better than into the back of the car in front of you.

Hope this helps, and hope you don't end up driving in the snow in the first place.
Thanks for your detailed response Schm. I did end up going to Flagstaff and it snowed about 3" on Monday morning. I had to get to the Snowbowl by 8:30 to take lessons and decided to take the chance and drive. Most roads in Flag were cleared off snow, but once we got on the 180 it started coming down hard. I had a couple of scary moments, but remembered your advice on not to slam on my brakes. Once the car swerved left and was almost out of control, but I managed to somehow control it. When we arrived at the Snowbowl road, we learned that they were only allowing cars with chains or 4 wheel drives. So had to park my car at the base and hitch a ride on a truck. It cleared off by afternoon, but on my drive back started snowing again when I was on the I-17. Overall, it was a fun experience. But next time if they forecast snow, I am just going to rent a 4x4.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 10:35 AM   #924
dmode
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllydNYC View Post
Can't answer your question but let me know how you like Snowbowl. I've been wanting to go with a few friends but couldn't find anyone who personally went.
I am not an avid skier. In fact, this was my second time on the slopes. Given that, I won't be able to compare Snowbowl to world class ski resorts. Obviously, its nothing like Aspen in terms of scale. But they seem to have a decent number of lifts operating that day. The facilities were not bad either, although small compared to some of the European ski resorts. The base of Snowbowl is at 9300 ft while the peak is at ~12,000 ft. Obviously, the Rockies are at a higher elevation and that probably means they get more snowfall.
Appreciate 0