E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Just installed Juice Box Stage 2...

Closed Thread

09-23-2007, 07:05 AM   #89
E90Boy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F33

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod182 View Post
No one has tons of mileage, because the product is relatively new. I will say however, that I put it through its paces everyday. Racing the car to redline, in 57F-111F temps, with no problems. I have made dozens of 1/4 mile passes. And other times, I am cruising it on the fwy, etc, trying to keep the instantaneous at the 30 MPG mark. If anyone would have had some issues, or CEL, I think I would have been me, LOL.
Is the JB just a raising the boost by tricking some sensors so it drives like stoc, but more powerful? So by tricking the sensors the ecu cannot detect JB?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2007, 09:20 AM   #90
A418t81
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Ever changing fleet

Garage List
2013 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
Of course it's running too rich. If you throw more fuel without consideration for conditions that means too rich. WTF. The relevant question is does it hurt performance or it harmful in any way. Probably not - esp if oil is changed frequently.
Honestly man, what in the hell are you talking about. Do you know what AFRs even are? Do you understand that AFRs in the high 12s won't cause a single "issue" that you've described? More boost = more fuel, those are the conditions. More frequent oil changes, and cylinder washdown with AFRs in the 12s

PS, you do know that the procede runs nearly the same AFRs, perhaps a bit richer, than the S2 right? Of course you did, which further invalidates this "argument."
      09-23-2007, 10:59 AM   #91
radgator1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Boy View Post
Who has the most recorded miles on their JB without a problem or minor ones
?
Terry probably has the most miles. I think he probably has around 4000 miles or so logged with the JB2. He has quite a bit of track time with his car as well. There are quite a few cars with it installed and no problems reported so far
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2007, 12:05 PM   #92
radgator1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwzimmer View Post
Can anyone with more than 2500 miles on a jb2 chime in on how it is after some time?
This product has so little credibility, it's pretty scary. You guys are damn BRAVE...
its like a trial for a new experimental drug developed by a clever plumber
I still don't get where you folks get this idea. IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE FOLKS.

All of the products bring discussed increase power by increasing boost by increasing resistance to the TMap circuit whether it is plugging directly into the sensor wire like SSTT or tapping into it in pin 10 and 32 in the DME connectors like in JB, Xede and PROcede. Ohms law: I = V/R. Increasing R decreases current which leads to increased boost. The higher the R the more boost you will make.

With the JB and JB2 Terry was conservative on the amount of boost being very careful to measure for and stay below the point where knock retard was being introduced. With the JB2 you also tap into the fuel delivery circuit of the DME so as to be able to increase boost above the JB1 still without reaching knock retard. Since you don't really want the linear relationship of ohms law for the fuel enrichment I am assuming rather than a resistor he probably uses a slightly more complex circuit using perhaps paired diodes (semiconductor) to get a exponential delivery of fuel so none or very little under low load/throttle/boost situations and more under higher load/throttle boost. TerryI actually have no idea if this is what is in the JB2 or not and I don't really care since I know it works very well and safely and give conservative amounts of boost, excellent AFR and great performance.

The truth is you could probably do it yourself if you wanted to spend the long hours and buy all the testing equipment and risk doing it wrong and toasting your car. Terry did it origionally because he was curious what he could come up and had the knowledge to know where to start. His post that shows you the circuit for the JB1 including the parts is still here somewhere in the forum. But once he did it and realized how well and safely it worked figured he might as well sell it since there will be plenty of folks who would be interested in an inexpensive safe mod that give very nice gains.

Basically it is only ignorance on the subject that makes folks perceive it as scary or high risk compared to the other options.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread