E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Seriously, block your EGR (pictures inside)

04-29-2014, 09:19 AM   #89
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d View Post
question i ask but Im trying to make sense out of this and PLEASE iaknown and anyone out there help us on this. I was wondering ok there are two plugs one from the exhaust turbo thru the EGR then thru the intake correct, ok then why dont we just use ONE plug the one from the turbo exhaust i.e. DPF and let the other one unplugged, will it throw a code or can or not be performed adequately Im really intrigued by this
theres no reason you couldnt but it so simple to do the upper block I dont know why you wouldnt. The EGR shuts down when the DDE recognizes that there is no flow, so with just the bottom plug the EGR would be the top plug most of the time. For another $0.10 in material and no extra work since you have to take that apart to do the lower anyway, what are you saving by going half way?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 09:27 AM   #90
dixy2k
Major
Rep
Drives: 335d

Hooper.
do you have any idea about the burger meth it if it can be easily converted for diesel apps?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 09:27 AM   #91
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

Hooper just curious if a sensor would detect it thats why i inquired. Not trying to be half ass on it just asking.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 10:07 AM   #92
iaknown
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
theres no reason you couldnt but it so simple to do the upper block I dont see why you wouldnt. The EGR shuts down when the DDE recognizes that there is no flow, so with just the bottom plug the EGR would be the top plug most of the time. For another $0.10 in material and no extra work since you have to take that apart to do the lower anyway, what are you saving by going half way?
Additionally if your EGR cooler were to crack or be on the verge of cracking the top plate would prevent the motor from ingesting any coolant. Just another plus...
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 10:32 AM   #93
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixy2k View Post
Hooper.
do you have any idea about the burger meth it if it can be easily converted for diesel apps?
My burger kit looked like it was a mid level coolingmist kit. There is no real difference between a gas kit and diesel kit, they can be used interchangeably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d View Post
Hooper just curious if a sensor would detect it thats why i inquired. Not trying to be half ass on it just asking.
you would get the same codes either way. Without EGR flow youre going to get those codes
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 07:37 AM   #94
GottaBeKD
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

The difference is night and day from the photos.

To the OP. The carbon buildup is very minor in the original photo. Have you had it cleaned before?

I will preface my next comment with I have limited experience with the D and still reading and getting up to speed.

It seems that all CBU issues have 2 precursors. MAF and Injectors. Just thinking out loud at this point. When I see photos with a minor film of buildup with 60k driven and other instances which are nearly clogged at 20k. Something else has to be up. A bad injector can cause inefficient burn and more soot getting sent back through the EGR.

How easy is it to block and then unblock the EGR when taking it in to the dealership?

I need to inspect the amount of build up I currently have. I can then take a decision on my next steps. I am thinking of using a dual approach of a catch can and EGR block. That should eliminate the majority of reasons for buildup.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 10:52 AM   #95
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

The ports pictured are the larger ports in the intake, the smaller ports were much more clogged up to start, but those are tough to take good pictures of. I agree that I did not have severe buildup, mine drove fine and had good power. It was never cleaned before that.

The block that I have should take maybe a half hour to remove before going to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 11:28 AM   #96
GottaBeKD
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper
The ports pictured are the larger ports in the intake, the smaller ports were much more clogged up to start, but those are tough to take good pictures of. I agree that I did not have severe buildup, mine drove fine and had good power. It was never cleaned before that.

The block that I have should take maybe a half hour to remove before going to the dealer.
Thanks. 30 mins is not too bad to ensure I keep the warranty
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 01:48 PM   #97
DieselRacer
BMW Advanced Diesel, 2011 BMW 335d M sport...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M sport

Garage List
Quote:

Your going to confused the crap out of the dealer when he sees how clean your motor is and your answer is, "I did nothing" keep up the post of further progress...
      05-24-2014, 11:45 PM   #98
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

I do all my own work and I'm out of warranty, so ideally I will never have to see the dealer, but yeah they would definitely be confused by a 335d with 85k miles, no prior cleaning, and no buildup
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 11:58 PM   #99
#Tee
Major General
Rep
Drives: yes

i like my egr, not only is it a smog device but also help fights detonation by recirculating inert gas to reduce combustion temps/nox.

You can follow my builds on IG: Tee212
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 02:07 AM   #100
DieselRacer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I do all my own work and I'm out of warranty, so ideally I will never have to see the dealer, but yeah they would definitely be confused by a 335d with 85k miles, no prior cleaning, and no buildup
They would try to tell a guy like me, we just had one in here with 87k CLEAN AS A WHISTLE, and I would say to them bullcrap...and then they would say no really, and on and on...
      05-25-2014, 02:09 AM   #101
DieselRacer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by #Tee View Post
i like my egr, not only is it a smog device but also help fights detonation by recirculating inert gas to reduce combustion temps/nox.
The idea of it is good, but the design is bad, hence CBU + DI =
      05-25-2014, 02:57 AM   #102
Jffeijao
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselRacer View Post
The idea of it is good, but the design is bad, hence CBU + DI =
Guys, enjoy your cars. Nothing is designed to last forever.
CBU is a by product of direct fuel injection. Unfortunately, terrible diesel fuel quality in US maximizes the problem.

Once you detect issues, go and clean it up or change the intake. (Put one on order today if you feel this is inevitable). It will be safer and probably cheaper than the paliative solutions you are trying. Based on the content of discussions nobody has a clue of the collateral effects (and the associated risk/cost) these changes may cause.
Fines, other components failures and so on.
Be happy and push the pedal on the right!
2012 Grand Cherokee (sold!)
2003 MB SLK stick (garage queen)
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 07:10 AM   #103
335ddd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jffeijao View Post
Guys, enjoy your cars. Nothing is designed to last forever.
CBU is a by product of direct fuel injection. Unfortunately, terrible diesel fuel quality in US maximizes the problem.

Once you detect issues, go and clean it up or change the intake. (Put one on order today if you feel this is inevitable). It will be safer and probably cheaper than the paliative solutions you are trying. Based on the content of discussions nobody has a clue of the collateral effects (and the associated risk/cost) these changes may cause.
Fines, other components failures and so on.
Be happy and push the pedal on the right!

Amen!

I am going crazy reading CBU related issues. Regardless I do appreciate this community exploring ways to fix this issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 07:39 AM   #104
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Tee View Post
Interesting. However, I'm not sure how removing/blocking EGR would increase detonation risks in our diesel engines.

Here's a link to a study showing how using EGR actually reduces ignition delay (ignition starts sooner). So by removing the EGR we'd actually be retarding the start of ignition slightly which would reduce pre-detonation.

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/jc/2012/932724/fig4/

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/jc/2012/932724/

In the region marked with a circle, the point at which the curve of pressure rise rate turned up abruptly can indicate the start of ignition, for the reason that the curve of pressure rise rate would fall down smoothly in the exact marked area if there was no fire in cylinder. According to this criterion, the ignition of the case with the EGR rate of 9.5% occurred about 1.5° CA earlier than the case without EGR.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 07:53 AM   #105
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

Gracias Hoop
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 08:47 PM   #106
brice618
Private
Rep
Drives: Looking

Hooper where are you located? Id gladly drive to you to fix this ever lasting emission problem. No emissions test for me so all egr/dpf delete whatever to get avoid all these continued issues with the 335d.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 09:29 AM   #107
modobrew
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M Sport

any updates on how well this fix is working for you guys who have installed it?
      06-19-2014, 09:38 AM   #108
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brice618 View Post
Hooper where are you located? Id gladly drive to you to fix this ever lasting emission problem. No emissions test for me so all egr/dpf delete whatever to get avoid all these continued issues with the 335d.
Im in CA, but im also not in the business of making these plates. PM iaknown, not sure if he has any or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by modobrew View Post
any updates on how well this fix is working for you guys who have installed it?
still working fine on mine. Last time I pulled the intake off I checked the plate. It has a heavy coating of carbon on the exhaust side. At some point when it is out for smog I may need to replace it with a new one to prevent it from building up to the point of being stuck or not going back in cleanly
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 09:47 AM   #109
dixy2k
Major
Rep

Hooper
would it be advisable to clean the plates every 5000-10000 miles?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 11:18 AM   #110
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 335d LCI

hey guys, I have a question, might be silly one but maybe someone can explain that to me. I had CBU issues as well, dealer cleaned all up. My question is why we only see the build up on the intake and no one so far has any issues in the exhaust pipe. Why we don't see any carbon build up in the exhaust pipe??
Appreciate 0