E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > DMS 335d RE-map Review..

02-16-2008, 02:15 PM   #111
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Would be nice to get an

DMS 335d
E-Maps 335d
CAA 335d
Superchips 335d
whoever else 335d and all go down the pod. I say the pod cuz i aint that bothered by a number here and there. More of whats quickest on the strip.

If it means swapping cars with each other for a few runs then so be it.
      02-16-2008, 02:18 PM   #112
Sales@Evolve
Major
Rep
Drives: Slow

[QUOTE=Hotcoupe;2155452]On the subject of claims made by remapping companies in terms of increases in bhp and torque,the main culprits results are below:

Evolve your car:
http://www.evolveyourcar.com/results...ant=&x=75&y=18

BMW 3 Series E90 E91 E92 335d 286 BHP £695 Stage 1: ECU Remap +54 BHP +80nm Torque

E-Maps:http://www.e-maps.co.uk/products/BMW...ies+%28e90%29/

3.5d EDC16 286 580 350 700

CAA:http://www.ca-automotive.co.uk/produ...wX2lkPTg=.html

E90 335D--- +65 bhp/120 Nm ( NO this is not a misprint)

DMS:

http://www.dmsautomotive.com/index.asp?upid=1&msid=0

Interestingly DMS do not publish any increased performance figures, but I do know their claims are less then both E-maps and CAA, and are similar to those of Evolve.

QUOTE]

I think I'm going to have to call Roy up! Roy of CAA has stated:

' E90 335D--- +65 bhp/120 Nm ( NO this is not a misprint) '

His graph clearly shows + 45 BHP, so it is a misprint!

Since the name Evolve has popped up and I am sure there are quite a few people on other BMW forums who may well have seen the name M5Pilot (who also has Sal as his sig) .I may aswell state now that I am the same M5Pilot and I am the owner of Evolve Automotive. No point hiding the fact now!

We have remapped 335d's and have dyno graphs, I will post them up.

I'll be back later to talk a bit more about these dyno results aswell and make a few things clear.

Thanks
Sal
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2008, 02:19 PM   #113
mikem
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Carl, there are two many variables to get a fair comparison on the strip. A R/R run will be the same constantly for single runs, unless the weather drastically changes.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2008, 02:37 PM   #114
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Carl, you are changing the goalposts by suggesting a drag run.
As Mike quite rightly states there are too many variables.

The whole point of my suggestion is based on our (Tony,yours and mine) previous pre map dyno results, and Tony and my subsequent post map results.

It would be a very interesting experiment to compare your post map DMS result with mine and Tonys E-map result,would you not agree.

Quote:
mikem If this is on a Sat, I`ll be collecting my car either that Sat or the Sat before. If its the same day, I`ll make the trek from Simpsons in Lydney over to Marlow.
Mike can you suggest a date for the Sat you have in mind,and if Carlos is in agreement I will make arrangements with Danny.
It would be fantastic to see what your S/C M3 churns out,I just hope Dannys R/R is capable of holding it on the rollers!

M5Pilot

Thanks for coming out of the closet,my inclusion of Evolve was deliberate,and I'm pleased you have decided to come clean

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2008, 03:16 PM   #115
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: too much

[QUOTE=M5Pilot;2155565]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
On the subject of claims made by remapping companies in terms of increases in bhp and torque,the main culprits results are below:

Evolve your car:
http://www.evolveyourcar.com/results...ant=&x=75&y=18

BMW 3 Series E90 E91 E92 335d 286 BHP £695 Stage 1: ECU Remap +54 BHP +80nm Torque

E-Maps:http://www.e-maps.co.uk/products/BMW...ies+%28e90%29/

3.5d EDC16 286 580 350 700

CAA:http://www.ca-automotive.co.uk/produ...wX2lkPTg=.html

E90 335D--- +65 bhp/120 Nm ( NO this is not a misprint)

DMS:

http://www.dmsautomotive.com/index.asp?upid=1&msid=0

Interestingly DMS do not publish any increased performance figures, but I do know their claims are less then both E-maps and CAA, and are similar to those of Evolve.

QUOTE]

I think I'm going to have to call Roy up! Roy of CAA has stated:

' E90 335D--- +65 bhp/120 Nm ( NO this is not a misprint) '

His graph clearly shows + 45 BHP, so it is a misprint!

Since the name Evolve has popped up and I am sure there are quite a few people on other BMW forums who may well have seen the name M5Pilot (who also has Sal as his sig) .I may aswell state now that I am the same M5Pilot and I am the owner of Evolve Automotive. No point hiding the fact now!

We have remapped 335d's and have dyno graphs, I will post them up.

I'll be back later to talk a bit more about these dyno results aswell and make a few things clear.

Thanks
Sal
i do like people who put ther money where there mouth is

look forward to the results

Welcome to the forum

Steve
      02-16-2008, 03:17 PM   #116
mikem
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

H/C Simpsons have their own R/R and after they installed the kit on their demo car they did 90 runs, yes 90 runs during an all-night session with the guys from ESS while they played around with the mapping to get it right for cars with the RHD manifold. My car wil be run by them before and after so it`ll be good to see how the R/R in Marlow compares to their brand new Dyno Dynamics.

I`m pretty sure I`ll be dropping it off this coming Sat and collecting the following Sat (all being well) Marlow`s quite a bit out of my way but I`m sure I can find some roads to keep me amused in the Cotswolds .
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2008, 03:20 PM   #117
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem View Post
H/C Simpsons have their own R/R and after they installed the kit on their demo car they did 90 runs, yes 90 runs during an all-night session with the guys from ESS while they played around with the mapping to get it right. My car wil be run by them before and after so it`ll be good to see how the R/R in Marlow compares to their brand new Dyno Dynamics.

I`m pretty sure I`ll be dropping it off this coming Sat and collecting the following Sat (all being well) Marlow`s quite a bit out of my way but I`m sure I can find someroads to keep me amused in the Cotswolds .

micky becareful with all that extra power, i want the car in one piece so i can see if its faster than my63
      02-16-2008, 03:23 PM   #118
mikem
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve A View Post
micky becareful with all that extra power, i want the car in one piece so i can see if its faster than my63

Of course it`ll be quicker Stevie, I`m still in my 20`s (just )
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2008, 03:27 PM   #119
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Of course it`ll be quicker Stevie, I`m still in my 20`s (just )
im 33 and i get better every day

your still just a boy
      02-16-2008, 03:32 PM   #120
mikem
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

When do you get the 63 Steve ? Please tell me its White ?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2008, 03:36 PM   #121
Oli
Campervan man
Rep
Drives: RS3 and VW Kombi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
I say the pod cuz i aint that bothered by a number here and there. More of whats quickest on the strip.

Youve changed your tune. Not so long ago(I wish I could find the thread), you were badgering me about how its all about the numbers and not how it drives, and yet for me numbers have nothing to do with it, it just pub talk. Its all about how a car drives, and it now looks like your agreeing with me, and others.

The re-map totally tranforms the car, like Ive been saying, and at last you seem to be with me on this one, and the figures are much less important, and Im sorry, I think the pod is a load of tosh as well, lets get the cars on a proper track - This has been talked about before, and would be much more fun than straight lining it.

Goodwood, has loads of open track day sessions, wouldnt it be better hanging off certain sports cars rear bumpers in an oil burner!!!

Oh and I also agree, as Ive already pointed out previously that DMS's warranty isnt worth the paper its written on,I guarantee if there is a claim they will wiggle out of it - I deal with aftermarket warranties all the time and they are sh1t

Genuine VW T5 California Rental
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2008, 03:48 PM   #122
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
When do you get the 63 Steve ? Please tell me its White ?
no confirmed date yet april/may hopefully.

and the colour is.....................you'll have to wait for the pictures its a suprise
      02-16-2008, 03:49 PM   #123
Sales@Evolve
Major
Rep

I had a feeling you did that on purpose

Are you known as another username on other forums?

Thanks
Sal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post

M5Pilot

Thanks for coming out of the closet,my inclusion of Evolve was deliberate,and I'm pleased you have decided to come clean
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2008, 04:09 PM   #124
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
M5Pilot I had a feeling you did that on purpose

Are you known as another username on other forums?

Thanks
Sal

Yeah I'm known as the 'lurker',although that's not my username you understand

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2008, 04:56 PM   #125
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-sport

Garage List
so what date are we rolling ?

I'd be up for this

SJ
      02-16-2008, 05:03 PM   #126
e-maps
Banned
Rep
Drives: Seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
I wont be crying mate, even if she comes out with less HP she is still quicker down the strip than stock
This is what I was trying to say the last time. I am not a fan of Santa Pod either as a decent time is down to driver skill. If you spin the wheels then you've had it. 0-60mph and 0-100mph testing is still the best way to check power.

Dyno's are no good for new cars these days UNLESS you can get the factory tester to put the car into dyno mode or you will get different results everytime. The new Merc's can be put into dyno mode using the hidden dash board functions, shame BMW dont do anything like that
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2008, 06:16 PM   #127
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
mikem I`m pretty sure I`ll be dropping it off this coming Sat and collecting the following Sat (all being well) Marlow`s quite a bit out of my way but I`m sure I can find some roads to keep me amused in the Cotswolds .
Quote:
Serjames so what date are we rolling ?
I'd be up for this
SJ
James, based on Mike's post above it appears Mike is dropping the M3 off on Sat 23rd and then picking up the M3 S/C on the 1st March?
If Mike can confirm that and Carlos is still up for the challenge,I will ring Danny on Monday and see how the land lies.

Mike,Lydney is about 100 odd miles from Marlow, so assuming you pick her up at 08.30am,I'll book your run for 09.15am

Seriously, if you're on for this give me a confirmed date + approx time and we'll see what comes up.

Quote:
e-maps Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d
I wont be crying mate, even if she comes out with less HP she is still quicker down the strip than stock

This is what I was trying to say the last time. I am not a fan of Santa Pod either as a decent time is down to driver skill. If you spin the wheels then you've had it. 0-60mph and 0-100mph testing is still the best way to check power.

Dyno's are no good for new cars these days UNLESS you can get the factory tester to put the car into dyno mode or you will get different results everytime. The new Merc's can be put into dyno mode using the hidden dash board functions, shame BMW dont do anything like that
I'm aware of that Simon, the point of the exercise is to put it to bed

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2008, 07:47 PM   #128
Sales@Evolve
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-maps View Post

Oi scum bag!! You still not been to see us have you!

Sorry dude, Santapod and similar methods of testing acceleration are something alot of people use to good effect to test their gains.

Carlos has reduced his times significantly just by a little 1/4 mile test and he is not the only one.

New cars cannot be dynoed? I've dynoed pretty much every BMW there is and there is not one that gave problems. In most cases simply disabling the ABS system allows the car to be dynoed.

Let us not discredit dyno's. I am one of the most sceptical people in the tuning industry and if dyno's were so useless then I can assure you I would have sold mine by now.

I also posses a Racelogic Vbox. It's funny how the cars that don't make any difference on the dyno (or very little difference) after a remap also don't show any difference on the VBox. Cars that make more power on a dyno also show a better consistent result on a VBox.

If an engine makes no more power on a dyno after a modification has been made then 99% of the time that modification is not working.

Thanks
Sal
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2008, 01:41 AM   #129
mikem
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

HC, I wont be able to solidly confirm anything `till later this week (if the kit arrives tomorrow or Tues I can see me throwing a sickie, driving it down and begging them to finish it for this weekend ) but in seriousness I`m pretty sure I`ll be collecting it 1st March. I also have a party which I`m told we must attend that night in Glasgow so I`d need to be leaving Marlow before 1ish.

My E90 dynoed perfectly every time. Also the HP calculations shown by my G-tech unit were very, very close to the rear wheel figures.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2008, 03:27 AM   #130
335DJim
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335D Coupe

Looking forward to seeing this RR comaprison between maps... very useful data for those looking to take the plunge!..

Had mine done by ChippedUK last week - review to follow including comparison to mates stock 335d on the road (side by side rolling starts, in gear, off the lights, etc) - would love to post video to show how many car lengths it pulls over stock etc but with recent Youtube rules where they apparently now give your details via the ISP to the plod on request I'll have to verbalise

Having real bother putting the torque on the tarmac - just ordered some of the Goodyear Eagle F1 ASYNC non run flats to see if they help..

Jim..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2008, 08:49 AM   #131
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi

and this is why E90 is SO much FUN,anyway got to go and play in me V8.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2008, 09:19 AM   #132
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

This whole thread is utterly pointless in my opinion.

All the remap companies do the same thing. They all claim to do it better than anyone else, but I personally wouldn't believe a single word that any of them say when comparing their maps to competitors.

You can't honestly choose between them based on overall performance gains. They all have disparate claims, which are effectively impossible to prove or compare for the average customer.

So you go with the one you like the look of.

Carlos felt comfortable about DMS and I think that was a good call. They have a decent reputation.

Others felt happier going to the rival outfits and good luck to them.

Now ... all of you calm down. They are only deisels anyway
Appreciate 0