E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Turbocharged N52 2007 328i with video and pics

03-04-2016, 04:50 PM   #111
CobraMarty
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi e90 + e92

So if the holes were gently massaged it would go on. Twin turbos seems a bit much for this conversion. Lots of water, oil, drain, inlet and outlet tubes to mess with. Single turbo would be 50% easier.
I'll shoot a pic of N55 manifold on N52 head next week.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 05:26 PM   #112
Bob@BPC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by E91 M Sport View Post
Wow I guess I'm surprised they're THAT close. You'd think they'd be the same or completely different.
The "donuts" dont match up, in short, BMW knew someone would try to fit those turbos onto a non turbo engine and made it a pain to make them work.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 05:07 PM   #113
CobraMarty
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob@BPC View Post
The "donuts" dont match up, in short, BMW knew someone would try to fit those turbos onto a non turbo engine and made it a pain to make them work.
Oh No.

Now you make me wonder about the N55 manifold onto the N52 head.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 06:50 PM   #114
DigiDon
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraMarty View Post

Can you make another set of the eccentric nut inserts?
Pretty sure I could. Just have to take off my calipers and copy the ones I made previously.

Quote:
Well that sucks. I was hoping to grab one of those N54/N55 flange kits from rbturbo to build a new manifold.

Quote:
The N52 head, this adapter plate and N55 turbo are all in my garage sitting on the shelf.
The ports all line up. N52/N55 all but 4 lower bolt holes line up. N52/N54 all line up.

I could use the adapter plate as a drill guide to drill the N52 head for the 4 different N55 lower bolts or use it as a drill guide to drill the N55 turbo manifold for the 4 lower holes higher up.

Here-
http://www.rbturbo.com/rb-n54-n55-he...e-with-inserts

Pic-
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 05:23 AM   #115
Devising
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328i e90 n51

I know this might be a little bit too much to ask for but i was wondering if you can make a list of modifications to do to complete having a turbo in the 328i, doesn't have to be in detail, just what has to be done.

Also i have a 08 328i SULEV n51 69k miles, not sure if that would be a big difference in making the car turbocharged, but i do see most people only talking about the n52 engine.

if you can respond that would be great, im really interested in doing this to my car would be a fun but expensive project.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 02:12 PM   #116
E91 M Sport
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E91 M Sport

Quote:
Donuts = exhaust ports? Or is there something else you're referring to?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 07:55 PM   #117
CobraMarty
Major
Rep

Quote:
Which N52 head did you use? N52B25 or N52B30?

Or are the N52B25 and N52B30 heads the same?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 08:24 PM   #118
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Quote:

There was no n52 b25 for sale in US. Bob is from North Carolina.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 09:01 AM   #119
DigiDon
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devising View Post
I know this might be a little bit too much to ask for but i was wondering if you can make a list of modifications to do to complete having a turbo in the 328i, doesn't have to be in detail, just what has to be done.

Also i have a 08 328i SULEV n51 69k miles, not sure if that would be a big difference in making the car turbocharged, but i do see most people only talking about the n52 engine.

if you can respond that would be great, im really interested in doing this to my car would be a fun but expensive project.
I will eventually get a list together, but it's basically the same components used in turbo charging any engine.

N52 and N51 are almost identical. Engine wise I believe the only difference is the compression ratio of 10 to 1 vs 10.7 to 1 for an N52 and this is due to the cylinder head combustion area being machined a little more than the N52. So should work just the same, and probably would put out more power on pump gas because theoretically you could run more boost pressure on pump gas than an N52.

Quote:

All US spec N52 cylinder head castings are basically the same. There are some slight differences, like different size valve stems on early production heads, different rockers, different lifters, different oil drain back valves in the heads. All these differences are improvements that were made during the production life of this head style. So If you walked into the dealer to buy a replacement head today you would get the same part number head no matter what year N52 you have, which is the newest and best version.

Last edited by DigiDon; 03-09-2016 at 09:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 11:36 AM   #120
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Garage List
OP just curious (and this isn't a dig against you, or meant to start a N52 vs N54 war) but why the desire to go FI on the N51/N52 and not just start with an N54?

What you did is an impressive feat, but given that a used early model 335 can be had for a song now a days, and comes with a forged bottom end, much stronger transmission, an unbelievable amount of aftermarket support (and a FBO can easily reach 450whp with only a few thousand bucks), it sounds like the real deal may actually be more cost effective and less work.

I applaud the innovation (I don't say that condescendingly), as I'm all about pushing boundaries. But would love to hear your thought process as you approached this build.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 02:23 PM   #121
DigiDon
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdaft1 View Post
OP just curious (and this isn't a dig against you, or meant to start a N52 vs N54 war) but why the desire to go FI on the N51/N52 and not just start with an N54?

What you did is an impressive feat, but given that a used early model 335 can be had for a song now a days, and comes with a forged bottom end, much stronger transmission, an unbelievable amount of aftermarket support (and a FBO can easily reach 450whp with only a few thousand bucks), it sounds like the real deal may actually be more cost effective and less work.

I applaud the innovation (I don't say that condescendingly), as I'm all about pushing boundaries. But would love to hear your thought process as you approached this build.
Good question. Multiple reasons. I first started this project in 2007, I outlined some of the reasons and my goals in my original thread from back then http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...t=81727&page=5 see post #95. I started a family instead of going forward with the project, but never forgot about the project and my goals.

Some of the reasons from back then are still valid and some have been corrected. The aftermarket caught up with some of the technology. For instance there is a fueling band aid for the N54 (secondary port injection), but still no cost effective high pressure fuel injector upgrade available.

Today my reasons and goals are still pretty much the same, although my route may differ a little than originally planned.

Some reasons..
I believe the N52 head design to be superior to the N54 head design. Port injection and no high pressure fuel pump. I believe the N52 makes more power under boost with the same turbo and boost pressure (which when I hit the dyno hopefully this will be proven). I also knew it wouldn't blow up under boost like everyone always said it would, so I did it. I basically just wanted to finish what I started. Also I had all these mods already done to this car and love driving it, would not have been cost and time effective for me to switch up cars. I do all the work myself and had most of these parts in stock so very low initial cost for me other than time.

My 1000hp goal for this engine still stands, no matter how long it takes me!

With that said, this route definitely is not for everyone. I've said this repeatedly. An N54 starting point for most people is the easier way to go, especially with the huge aftermarket support this engine has gained over the years.
Appreciate 2
      03-10-2016, 04:32 PM   #122
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiDon View Post
Good question. Multiple reasons. I first started this project in 2007, I outlined some of the reasons and my goals in my original thread from back then http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...t=81727&page=5 see post #95. I started a family instead of going forward with the project, but never forgot about the project and my goals.

Some of the reasons from back then are still valid and some have been corrected. The aftermarket caught up with some of the technology. For instance there is a fueling band aid for the N54 (secondary port injection), but still no cost effective high pressure fuel injector upgrade available.

Today my reasons and goals are still pretty much the same, although my route may differ a little than originally planned.

Some reasons..
I believe the N52 head design to be superior to the N54 head design. Port injection and no high pressure fuel pump. I believe the N52 makes more power under boost with the same turbo and boost pressure (which when I hit the dyno hopefully this will be proven). I also knew it wouldn't blow up under boost like everyone always said it would, so I did it. I basically just wanted to finish what I started. Also I had all these mods already done to this car and love driving it, would not have been cost and time effective for me to switch up cars. I do all the work myself and had most of these parts in stock so very low initial cost for me other than time.

With that said, this route definitely is not for everyone. I've said this repeatedly. An N54 starting point for most people is the easier way to go, especially with the huge aftermarket support this engine has gained over the years.
you pretty much proved everyone wrong that this was not possible and that the engine was going to blow up

Amazing work !
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2016, 11:06 PM   #123
330iE90
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

yeah man, very good job. listening to your car was like music to my ears. also wanted to ask you if you could make another set of those adapters for the bolts to put the z06 pistons on? thanks
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2016, 07:46 PM   #124
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Garage List
Quote:

Some reasons..

Thanks man, big props to the hardwork and execution.
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2016, 10:56 PM   #125
DigiDon
Private
United_States
Rep

This N54 transmission swap is taking longer than I had hoped. Still waiting on some parts from BMW to complete the swap. So far I have found not all the bolts line up with the N52 engine. The clutch and flywheel setup has been giving me headaches, but have been resolved. Some pics of whats going on....

These two top bolt holes are the only two that don't line up, the difference is marked out in green. I already slotted them so now ok.

This is an N54 clutch spline that I cut out of a brand new stock N54 clutch disc (it hurt me to cut it up). In the back ground is an old turbo Supra 6 puck clutch which I used to build the final clutch disc.

This is the completed disc. Old Turbo Supra disc, relined with thicker pads to have same thickness as BMW disc, N54 spline welded into center. Good as new.

Flywheels for days...lol.
The top one is what has been in my car for the past year. The middle one is also an N52 which I welded and machined, then machined the center so I could used the N54 centering pin to work with the N54 transmission pilot bearing. I decided on using the N52 flywheel only because it is lighter than the N54 flywheel. The two bottom ones are both N54 6 bolt flywheels which bolt up directly to our crankshafts and the dowel lines up perfectly. The bottom right is the first flywheel design I came up with. It's a stock N54 flywheel that I welded to make it single mass and then machined it so it would accept an E34 M5 Sachs race engineering pressure plate, But I can not get someone to balance it so I scratched it till a later date. The one on the bottom left is stock.

Had to make a clutch alignment tool for these huge N54 clutch splines.

Final flywheel installed.

Flywheel and disc held with clutch alignment tool

Looks like so far I have figured out off the shelf part numbers for everything to bolt up including a drive shaft option. So far the only thing you would need modify to comlete this swap is the two upper bolt holes on the transmission itself.
When this swap is complete and running I will do a whole write up with all the part numbers needed.

It's really great that the N52 engines are getting some love, finally...

Superchargers are out and already getting pulley and injector upgrades.

Looks like modified camshafts are in the works.

Better fueling options are available and more to come.

I'll be working with Bob@BPC on a turbo tune for my car in the next month or so.

I'm also thinking about offering parts to help others in turbocharging these engines as well.

Last edited by DigiDon; 03-15-2016 at 11:03 PM..
Appreciate 2
      03-16-2016, 08:18 AM   #126
David0ff
Combined Applications Group
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lada Scrapus Trofeo R

Quote:
This N54 transmission swap is taking longer than I had hoped. Still waiting on some parts from BMW to complete the swap. So far I have found not all the bolts line up with the N52 engine. The clutch and flywheel setup has been giving me headaches, but have been resolved. Some pics of whats going on....

These two top bolt holes are the only two that don't line up, the difference is marked out in green. I already slotted them so now ok.

This is an N54 clutch spline that I cut out of a brand new stock N54 clutch disc (it hurt me to cut it up). In the back ground is an old turbo Supra 6 puck clutch which I used to build the final clutch disc.

This is the completed disc. Old Turbo Supra disc, relined with thicker pads to have same thickness as BMW disc, N54 spline welded into center. Good as new.

Flywheels for days...lol.
The top one is what has been in my car for the past year. The middle one is also an N52 which I welded and machined, then machined the center so I could used the N54 centering pin to work with the N54 transmission pilot bearing. I decided on using the N52 flywheel only because it is lighter than the N54 flywheel. The two bottom ones are both N54 6 bolt flywheels which bolt up directly to our crankshafts and the dowel lines up perfectly. The bottom right is the first flywheel design I came up with. It's a stock N54 flywheel that I welded to make it single mass and then machined it so it would accept an E34 M5 Sachs race engineering pressure plate, But I can not get someone to balance it so I scratched it till a later date. The one on the bottom left is stock.

Had to make a clutch alignment tool for these huge N54 clutch splines.

Final flywheel installed.

Flywheel and disc held with clutch alignment tool

Looks like so far I have figured out off the shelf part numbers for everything to bolt up including a drive shaft option. So far the only thing you would need modify to comlete this swap is the two upper bolt holes on the transmission itself.
When this swap is complete and running I will do a whole write up with all the part numbers needed.

I'll be working with Bob@BPC on a turbo tune for my car in the next month or so.

I'm also thinking about offering parts to help others in turbocharging these engines as well.

Awesome stuff man !
Makes me want to get back into the tuning scene like before when I had my FD, where I had all kinds of parts made and "invented".
Great work
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2016, 11:11 AM   #127
E91 M Sport
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E91 M Sport

Quote:

Hot damn man, you're truly a pioneer and I commend you for your talents . It's not every day a fellow forum member is able to accomplish what you have with your own 2 hands
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2016, 11:18 AM   #128
approximate
Bavarian Idiot
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 325i 6MT

amazing work
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2016, 12:39 PM   #129
DigiDon
Private
United_States
Rep

Thank you for the compliments guys.

Off topic but....
Closed gone racing! At The 12 Hours of Sebring.

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 12:42 PM   #130
DigiDon
Private
United_States
Rep

An N52 E90 racing.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 12:52 PM   #131
David0ff
Combined Applications Group
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lada Scrapus Trofeo R

Quote:
An N52 E90 racing.
Details plz and pics of engine bay
and exhaust layout lol
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 06:02 PM   #132
DigiDon
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David0ff View Post
Details plz and pics of engine bay
and exhaust layout lol
Sorry. They left before I made it to the pits after the race.

I did get to see team BMW M6 Cars up close.

And hung out in the pits with Team BMW during the race. Pretty cool.

Last edited by DigiDon; 04-14-2016 at 08:50 AM..
Appreciate 1