E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Manual seems to downshift while accelerating

01-12-2022, 10:48 AM   #111
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickle1212 View Post
I sent out my DME and a donor DME to get cloned, stay tuned. I was hoping the DME could be coded without the usage of the current one to eliminate the possibility of corrupt software being replicated to the new module.
I really hope this solves your issue.

If you don’t mind me asking, what is the DME side of this adventure costing you?
      01-20-2022, 06:46 AM   #112
stickle1212
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328 xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90yyc View Post
I really hope this solves your issue.

If you don’t mind me asking, what is the DME side of this adventure costing you?
$250, It should be arriving today.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 08:55 AM   #113
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep

Quote:
$250, It should be arriving today.
Fingers crossed!
      01-20-2022, 01:50 PM   #114
stickle1212
Private
Rep

So the new ECU came back and I still have the same issue!!!!

Last edited by stickle1212; 01-20-2022 at 02:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 06:47 PM   #115
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep

Quote:
Ughhh. No way.

Okay just a thought but what about swapping your DSC/DXC module? Did you do this already?
      01-21-2022, 01:47 AM   #116
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
What happened with those new codes you listed?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 11:54 AM   #117
stickle1212
Private
Rep

@e90yyc Did that already.... that removed the gear oil change error message

@Tambohamilton The codes were related to throttle body but once I followed a procedure I found online they never returned
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 12:06 PM   #118
stickle1212
Private
Rep

My Mechanic took it for an extensive drive and insists that it's fuel-related. He's suggesting that it has to do with the regulator which I already replaced (junkyard part) since this all started. the problem seems to have gotten worse over time because it now happens at lower speeds.

New scenario.....
Floor the gas pedal and the car is unresponsive (just like when dsc is engaged on a slipery surface) then the car would make the same bucking motion and won't stop until I get off the gas.

The one constant is it only occurs with the full-throttle regardless of the speed of the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 12:28 PM   #119
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep

I’m curious how changing the DXC module would have helped clear an error on the VTG module??

This is bugging me so much because your symptoms are honestly identical to what I’m experiencing, except that my tach doesn’t bounce around, and I’m having issues with cruise control. There also seems to be a link between slight differences in wheel speed and the issue presenting. Like yours, mine only occurs under heavy throttle, and usually continues in perpetuity until I lift off. When I try to engage cruise control, it kicks me out and throws an error, but it has no useful information. Just says generic cruise error, and sometimes there’s one about no torque value from DXC.

As you’re aware, my issue began after I did my manual swap, but maybe it was just coincidence.

We’re gonna solve this problem!
      01-21-2022, 01:00 PM   #120
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
@e90yyc Did that already.... that removed the gear oil change error message

@Tambohamilton The codes were related to throttle body but once I followed a procedure I found online they never returned
Throttle adaptation, that figures.

This is a good one!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 05:32 PM   #121
stickle1212
Private
Rep

I'm really desperate now..... I'll take off my intake to check the small disa valve. What changes when it's at full throttle that could cause that issue? keep in mind that it also happens if I switch to high gear at low rpm and go full throttle.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 05:34 PM   #122
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep

I don’t think it’s your DISA. You could disconnect them to rule that out. That way there’d be no change when hitting high RPM, but you don’t have to dick around actually removing the valve.

Can you clarify my question above regarding the VTG oil wear code? Curious what you meant.
      01-21-2022, 06:18 PM   #123
stickle1212
Private
Rep

Quote:
I don’t think it’s your DISA. You could disconnect them to rule that out. That way there’d be no change when hitting high RPM, but you don’t have to dick around actually removing the valve.

Can you clarify my question above regarding the VTG oil wear code? Curious what you meant.
I had the gear oil wear code that would keep coming back each time I cleared it, but it hasn't come back since I replaced my DSC module located under the front passenger seat.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 06:32 PM   #124
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep

Quote:
I had the gear oil wear code that would keep coming back each time I cleared it, but it hasn't come back since I replaced my DSC module located under the front passenger seat.
Ah, glad I asked. You sure that was under the passenger seat though and not the driver? (If it’s definitely under passenger side, do you have pics or a PN?)

If you’re referring to what I think you are—the solid-state sensor that feeds acceleration and rotational data to the DSC system that lives under the driver seat—that’s actually the DSC sensor, not to be confused with the DSC module, which is the electro-hydraulic module under the hood that the brake lines tie into (aka ABS pump).

This is what I currently have on the bench waiting to go in. My start-off assistant doesn’t work and neither does my cruise, so I thought since these are controlled by DSC, that it was at least worth a try.

You could just replace the electronic side but honestly it’s easier to just pull out the whole thing. Good opportunity to replace fluid/bleed your brakes if you’re due.
      01-21-2022, 08:06 PM   #125
stickle1212
Private
Rep

Quote:
Ah, glad I asked. You sure that was under the passenger seat though and not the driver? (If it’s definitely under passenger side, do you have pics or a PN?)

If you’re referring to what I think you are—the solid-state sensor that feeds acceleration and rotational data to the DSC system that lives under the driver seat—that’s actually the DSC sensor, not to be confused with the DSC module, which is the electro-hydraulic module under the hood that the brake lines tie into (aka ABS pump).

This is what I currently have on the bench waiting to go in. My start-off assistant doesn’t work and neither does my cruise, so I thought since these are controlled by DSC, that it was at least worth a try.

You could just replace the electronic side but honestly it’s easier to just pull out the whole thing. Good opportunity to replace fluid/bleed your brakes if you’re due.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/30399260059...d11d1df6d560b2

This is what I replaced, (TCM) definitely not the DSC. This is located under the front passenger seat.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 10:07 PM   #126
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep

Okay yes the VTG module in BMW speak . That makes sense.

So, I think it’s worth looking at DSC module. I’m going to try to replace mine this weekend. Will let you know the results.

Edit: DSC replacement fixed it!!!

Can’t say I’m super surprised given my symptoms, but I was trying not to get my hopes up. Very pleased right now.

What threw me off was that my the issues began after my manual swap… Had this just spontaneously occurred I would definitely have swapped out the DSC module sooner.

The timing must have been just a coincidence, unless something I did during my manual swap related to the electrical system somehow merked this module…

Last edited by e90yyc; 01-22-2022 at 08:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 06:02 PM   #127
stickle1212
Private
Rep

Quote:
Okay yes the VTG module in BMW speak . That makes sense.

So, I think it’s worth looking at DSC module. I’m going to try to replace mine this weekend. Will let you know the results.

Edit: DSC replacement fixed it!!!

Can’t say I’m super surprised given my symptoms, but I was trying not to get my hopes up. Very pleased right now.

What threw me off was that my the issues began after my manual swap… Had this just spontaneously occurred I would definitely have swapped out the DSC module sooner.

The timing must have been just a coincidence, unless something I did during my manual swap related to the electrical system somehow merked this module…
Wow that's awesome!!

After today I lost confidence in my mechanic. He stubbornly went over stuff that I told him I already did.
1) changed fuel sending unit (I replaced 3 weeks ago)
2) cleaned throttle body (I replaced 3 days ago)

He insists the problem is fuel-related and wants me to change the gas pedal module.

suggestions, please!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 07:20 PM   #128
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep

Guaranteed this is not your accelerator module. I went through that myself and it made no difference, but in hindsight I wouldn’t even have bothered. The accelerator module doesn’t have the ability to cause what you’re experiencing; it just doesn’t work out.

The fact you’ve already swapped your DME doesn’t leave many culprits left electronics wise. I was quite optimistic that would fix it given the DME’s control of the tach signal and its obvious role in controlling throttle. But with that possibility eliminated, I really think the DSC might be your culprit.

Change your DSC module. I’m talking about the electro-hydraulic unit that non-BMW folks (losers) refer to as the ABS pump—not the little sensor under the driver seat. If you have any questions about it I’m happy to help.

Just curious, but did your issue begin after you changed your TC fluid, or was that after it started?

Last edited by e90yyc; 01-23-2022 at 07:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 07:25 PM   #129
stickle1212
Private
Rep

Quote:
Guaranteed this is not your accelerator module. I went through that myself and it made no difference, but in hindsight I wouldn’t even have bothered. The accelerator module doesn’t have the ability to cause what you’re experiencing; it just doesn’t work out.

Change your DSC module. I’m talking about the electro-hydraulic unit that non-BMW folks (losers) refer to as the ABS pump—not the little sensor under the driver seat. If you have any questions about it I’m happy to help.

Did you have to do any calibration?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 07:41 PM   #130
stickle1212
Private
Rep

Quote:

The fact you’ve already swapped your DME doesn’t leave many culprits left electronics wise. I was quite optimistic that would fix it given the DME’s control of the tach signal and its obvious role in controlling throttle. But with that possibility eliminated, I really think the DSC might be your culprit.

Just curious, but did your issue begin after you changed your TC fluid, or was that after it started?

I noticed 2 days after changing the fluid
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 08:59 PM   #131
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep

Quote:
Did you have to do any calibration?
Yes, but it's super quick. I wrote factory coding too just to be safe. I don't even know if calibration is necessary, but calibration of the DSC sensor is literally just parking your car on a level surface and clicking one button.

You'll also need to bleed the braking system, which involves both traditional bleeding as well as activation of the DSC pump to remove air from it. Overall very simple process, just takes a bit of time.

Keep me posted on this. I'd put money on it at this point that replacement solves your issue.

Quote:
I noticed 2 days after changing the fluid
Gotcha. I ask just because my issue also appeared after I had done work on my TC (among many other things). I haven't looked at wiring diagrams to see if static charge or something else introduced at the TC harness could have reached the DSC harness, but my guess is that it's just a coincidence. Also guessing you didn't unplug your TC when changing the fluid, because why would you have.

Last edited by e90yyc; 01-23-2022 at 09:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 09:26 PM   #132
stickle1212
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yes, but it's super quick. I wrote factory coding too just to be safe. Truthfully, I don't even know if calibration of any sort is necessary, but calibration of the DSC sensor is literally just parking your car on a level surface and clicking one button.

You'll also need to bleed the braking system, which involves both traditional bleeding as well as activation of the DSC pump to remove air from it. Overall very simple process, just takes a bit of time.

Keep me posted on this. I'd put money on it at this point that replacement solves your issue.

Gotcha. I ask just because my issue also appeared after I had done work on my TC (among many other things). I haven't looked at wiring diagrams to see if static charge or something else introduced at the TC harness could have reached the DSC harness, but my guess is that it's just a coincidence. Also guessing you didn't unplug your TC when changing the fluid, because why would you have.
I actually unplugged the cable to clean some oil off while I was doing the TC. I'll get one at the junkyard tomorrow and possibly install it depending on workflow. Thanks for all you help.
Appreciate 0