E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > My Warranty VOIDED. Now What.

03-13-2009, 04:28 PM   #111
335e92tx
ahat
Rep
Drives: Was '07-335e92 - Now '13-335IS

Sounds like your best option is to take it somewhere else (non dealer ) for the repair and get the parts mailorder.

If you tell them that they might be more inclined to match the price.
They can get ZERO or some amount, if they are that hardheaded, they might just settle on zero.

Or even see if they will split the difference. It will cost you >50 to have it flated somewhere.

'13 335IS N54 (1 of 373 LeMans Blue out of 3597 total production e92)- Grey interior (1 of 24 in LMB with any trans- 1 of 14 with DCT)-MODS -MFactory LSD/MHD-BQ custom Tune/ATM-IC/AFE Momentum GT Intake/Konis/Mfront&HeimJoint Rear rods&arms/Brembos.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Lo6aHZRo7XqtPkhL8
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 04:36 PM   #112
ianthegreat
Colonel
Rep
Drives: n54

Which BMW dealership is that in SA? I travel there often to visit friends and want to avoid that particular one if something were to happen to my car.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 04:39 PM   #113
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan@UnitedBMW View Post
Sorry this happened to you man This also happened to a guy on 1Addicts... I hope everything works out for you.

There is a BMW bulletin on "tunes"... here you guys go:

Fault code "2D18-Manipulation protection, air mass" may be stored in the DME, indicating an implausible airflow. To prevent possible engine mechanical damage due to increased turbocharging pressure, the DME will limit the maximum available torque to the nominal torque value of 400Nm.
Dan:

I read above that the DME will limit torque to 400Nm or 300 ftlbs if a tune is detected.

I wonder if that limit stays in place even if the code is erased using the Bavarian Technic tool?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 04:41 PM   #114
Spazdoc
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 C63S, 2001 S4

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magna3 View Post
I'm sorry, let me try again.

so sorry your warranty got yanked. It's not like you completely set yourself up for this - you opened the door, they just stepped through it.

Useless? how about realistic. BMW is hurting, looking to cut costs. Every employee at BMW feels the pressure, and realizes that every cent payed to cover a repair under warranty hurts the company. This guy trusts a bmw or dealership employee? Please - GROW UP.
Agreed about the people at the dealership trying to cover their butts, especially when BMWNA gets involved. Customer loyalty only goes so far when the customer is 'breaking' the rules. This is not unique to BMW, and is typical of all auto dealerships. For example, when my brother worked at a good VW dealership, one of the SAs had a new GTI. They installed a nitrous kit, managed to botch the engine (weird fluke in how the engine managed the fuel). Well, he removed the nitrous and tried to get it repaired. SA ended up getting fired. And this was 3-5 years ago, when times were good.

As for the M&M Act, it does state that the dealer needs to provide in writing that the fault was due to the aftermarket part. But, in this case you may be SOL. The dealer or BMWNA can charge that running the piggyback cause the HPFP to run higher than normal flow to maintain the higher boost, and this shortening the life of the HPFP. Yes, some units do go bad, but not all units. As a result, unless you were supposed to receive this replacement anyway (as part of a recall), the is no way to prove that the HPFP was going to go bad anyway, or if the extra load caused the problem.

This really sucks. I was a naive kid in his 20's when I tuned my new Accord like crazy. Things went bad (like 2 transmissions, which was a common problem in the '99-'00 Accords), but I was able to work with my dealer due to a good history and that they had records of all my preventative maintenance performed at the same place. Unfortuantely, when minor things were not working right, I could not fault them for requiring that I return the car to stock before working on it. Heck, twice I went in because the car was making a funny noise, and they scratched their heads and told me it could be the aftermarket intake, throttle body intake manifold, secondary oil cooler, headers, exhaust, pulleys, or AFE computer.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 04:58 PM   #115
ThorsHammer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazdoc View Post
The dealer or BMWNA can charge that running the piggyback cause the HPFP to run higher than normal flow to maintain the higher boost, and this shortening the life of the HPFP. Yes, some units do go bad, but not all units. As a result, unless you were supposed to receive this replacement anyway (as part of a recall), the is no way to prove that the HPFP was going to go bad anyway, or if the extra load caused the problem.
Dude, do you work at BMW San Antonio? That's like literally a quote from them. LOL
"SYONRA" is for sale! http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366678 BSM '09 e92 335i | Performance: JB3, RR Catted DP's, INJEN DCI, Britalman Exhst, AA FMIC, FORGE DVs | Suspension: ST-V1 Coils, Hotchkis Chassis Brace & F/R Sways | Wheels: Bremmer Kraft BR03s, Brake Performance Rotors, Cool Carbon Pads, ECS Lines | Exterior: OEM Aero Lip/Rear, ****** CF Trunk Lid, BLUX5 Angels, M-Force M3 Sides | Interior: Passport 9500ci, Black Trim, M3 Wheel
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 05:01 PM   #116
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
I'd love to say "Man you got screwed" but christ...

You took your heavily modified car with an aggresive map into the dealership for warranty work and you got denied + warranty voided and you are pissed and upset?

Are you kidding me?
So true. Zero sympathy for the OP. Hopefully by returning it to stock and getting the car rechecked, he'll get the warranty back.
      03-13-2009, 05:19 PM   #117
DELTA BMW
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP_335xi View Post
Battery dies overnight, because a tune is still powed on even though the car is off
Ah thanks JP.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 05:52 PM   #118
scheherazade
Major
Rep
Drives: 09 GTR (& 93' accord!)

Dealership submits all warranty work that they do to BMW, and BMW reimburses the dealership.

Part of the reason why dealership fees are high is because most the work is under warranty, and BMW pays for it (deep pockets).

Dealership has _nothing_ to lose, unless they think BMW would look a the service info and choose to not reimburse the dealership.

If they do warranty work on a moded car, BMW might stiff the dealer.

If the dealer wanted to, they *COULD* remove the tune, scan the car, send the scan to BMW, and put the tune back. But that would be fraud, and no one wants to risk the kind of trouble that brings.

Basically, if you bring in a moded car for service, you're keeping the dealer from being able to safely milk BMW for cash.

So their only option is to MILK YOU.
But your pockets are not as deep as BMW's pockets.

Therefore, I say, if they don't want to try to take BMW's money (they won't do warranty work), then they don't need any of your money either.

(go somewhere else, that charges *normal* price)

-scheherazade
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 06:06 PM   #119
Blk07335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
Dealership submits all warranty work that they do to BMW, and BMW reimburses the dealership.

Part of the reason why dealership fees are high is because most the work is under warranty, and BMW pays for it (deep pockets).

Dealership has _nothing_ to lose, unless they think BMW would look a the service info and choose to not reimburse the dealership.

If the dealer wanted to, they *COULD* remove the tune, scan the car, send the scan to BMW, and put the tune back. But that would be fraud, and no one wants to risk the kind of trouble that brings.

Amen...well said

Basically, if you bring in a moded car for service, you're keeping the dealer from being able to safely milk BMW for cash.

Therefore, I say, if they don't want to try to take BMW's money (they won't do warranty work), then they don't need any of your money either.

-scheherazade
Amen...well said.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 06:11 PM   #120
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB E92 - SOLD 5/2010

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
In speaking with some of the other members located within the San Antonio area; the general consensus is that the Austin dealership is much easier to deal with regarding modifications added/changed on the car.

Thor .......

Dude, really sorry to hear about all of the s**t you're dealing with. The best you can hope for at this point is to possibly have the warranty reinstated in the near future. Ofcourse, you are & always will be branded by BMW for ANY future dealings due to the current situation.

GL bro.

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 06:21 PM   #121
BMW///Motorsport
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorsHammer View Post
Dude, do you work at BMW San Antonio? That's like literally a quote from them. LOL
My guess is that the logical answer to the problem was not the outcome you wanted, so you posted this thread to find a way around your own mistake. The answer was simple and everyone here knows it, dont heavily mod your car then take it to the dealer when something breaks. Should've towed it to a mechanic and removed all that crap then to the dealer. You blew it, plain and simple.

If it was another part of the car, not related to the engine/drivetrain being subjected to increased stress (a tune), say your headlights failed, then the mods could be said to have no part in that. But it perfectly logical to assume that increased load caused the pump to fail, or possibly even fail quicker.

Bummer dude, thats why I am stock, I need that warranty covering my ass.
      03-13-2009, 06:28 PM   #122
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 TSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW///Motorsport View Post
My guess is that the logical answer to the problem was not the outcome you wanted, so you posted this thread to find a way around your own mistake. The answer was simple and everyone here knows it, dont heavily mod your car then take it to the dealer when something breaks. Should've towed it to a mechanic and removed all that crap then to the dealer. You blew it, plain and simple.

If it was another part of the car, not related to the engine/drivetrain being subjected to increased stress (a tune), say your headlights failed, then the mods could be said to have no part in that. But it perfectly logical to assume that increased load caused the pump to fail, or possibly even fail quicker.

+1

You should have known the risk before making any mods. Especially with engine mods.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 06:51 PM   #123
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP_335xi View Post
another thing is that the SA can be your father for Christ sake, if FASTA is hooked up and the codes are sent to BMW (there is no way around this, unless you uninstall the mods and delete the codes prior to taking the car in) Then BMW has the final say, no matter what your SA or salesman, or general manager tells you.
+1

The asst SA was a doof. The second your car was hooked up to the computer it was out of the dealer's hands. You all should know this.

There are big risks associated with DPs and high output tunes.

The dealer cannot straighten out the warranty issue. They should offer a trade.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 07:08 PM   #124
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

I would not trust anyone these days at the dealership...They are all fighting to stay alive with the economy the way it is and I am sure the sales are down...Everything will be scrutinized to the balls and nothing will be overlooked....Its a shame but cutting costs by denying warranty is another way way to cut overhead...Business all over are doing this in some way or another....
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 07:34 PM   #125
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW///Motorsport View Post
Me too. I have a Procede, but it'll be off weeks before I ever need to go to a dealership. If I broke down on the side of the road, i'd just pay for the tow and spend the 30 minutes needed to take it off. If I had the OP's mods, I would spend the entire day taking the parts off, even if it meant taking a day off from work. A lot of people talk about how warranty isn't such a big deal, until they lose theirs. I really do hope he gets it back because the engine and other components aren't cheap.
      03-13-2009, 08:05 PM   #126
crashandburn45
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: very fast!

Garage List
2012 BMW 528i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post

-scheherazade
There is a misconception the BMW pays for warranty work. From an accounting stand point, this is false. Warranty work is factored into the price of the vehicle based on historical data. Therefore, you pay for warranty work. Whatever is left over is profit after the warranty expires. So, yes it does affect their bottom line. And yes, they will weasel out of paying and try to void warranties, especially in this down economy.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 08:26 PM   #127
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 TSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashandburn45 View Post
There is a misconception the BMW pays for warranty work. From an accounting stand point, this is false. Warranty work is factored into the price of the vehicle based on historical data. Therefore, you pay for warranty work. Whatever is left over is profit after the warranty expires. So, yes it does affect their bottom line. And yes, they will weasel out of paying and try to void warranties, especially in this down economy.
Yea, but the dealership gets reimbursed from BMWNA for any work done under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 08:27 PM   #128
ssblack
Rep
Drives: Armada

Wow. I live in SA and know the notoriety of this dealer. A friend was a tech there for 7 years and left. He had some good stories about them. Apparently they were/are owned by about 20 lawyers, so, have fun with that. I loathe getting another BMW for this reason.

That being said, you were clearly in the wrong. Maybe I'll just go with the 550 instead of the 535. I still can't decide.

Sucks to hear, hope you get it reinstated and learn from this though. I can't believe you didn't report the sales guy that scraped your car so badly, but whatever.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 08:29 PM   #129
xVeNoMx
Private First Class
Colombia
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Garage List
2011 e90 M3  [0.00]
so it was only because of the tune that sucks i would be so mad

Gone- 2009 335xi BSM/SB
2010 R8 v10 Suzuka Grey/Tuscan Brown
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 08:32 PM   #130
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xVeNoMx View Post
so it was only because of the tune that sucks i would be so mad
Well its the tune, but the OP has quite a extensive list of performance mods...One look at his engine bay and you would know that its modded to the balls because he has almost every single bolt on available!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 08:36 PM   #131
xVeNoMx
Private First Class
Colombia
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Garage List
2011 e90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
Well its the tune, but the OP has quite a extensive list of performance mods...One look at his engine bay and you would know that its modded to the balls because he has almost every single bolt on available!
true im just wondering, but they cant void a warranty for cosmetic mods right?

Gone- 2009 335xi BSM/SB
2010 R8 v10 Suzuka Grey/Tuscan Brown
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 08:39 PM   #132
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xVeNoMx View Post
true im just wondering, but they cant void a warranty for cosmetic mods right?
cosmetics I would say no problem...nothing to do with fuel pump
Appreciate 0