E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Modify OEM exhaust to sound like PE exhaust

02-25-2015, 12:52 PM   #1453
MrSilverwing
'07 E93 335i Sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Grey Space Ship

I recently went the muffler delete route after running the golf tee mod on my e93 335i for a year. Worth all $180 I spent to get them cut out and adding 4' tips. My neighbor has a 335is with BMW PE and I like the sound of my exhaust much more now.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 12:56 PM   #1454
kolhozbrothers
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

^ guys, why would you buy an aftermarket exhaust when you can do this mod? most aftermarket exhaust sound ricerish.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 03:35 PM   #1455
v1nc86
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolhozbrothers View Post
^ guys, why would you buy an aftermarket exhaust when you can do this mod? most aftermarket exhaust sound ricerish.
not the BMW PE...
      02-25-2015, 05:10 PM   #1456
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M340i xDrive

Alright guys got a question for you... I'm gonna be doing this soon and trying to figure it out. Right now I have stock E90 Exhaust with a secondary cat delete. My concern is the secondary cat delete and it sounding like shit. I know I need an x-pipe to replace the resonator but should I get rid of the secondary cat delete and put vibrant resonators or something there so it doesn't rasp?

Edit: Basically what i'm asking is if anyone has done the recommended setup (x-pipe for e90, outer pipes replaced) with a secondary cat delete? I hate rasp so would hate to do all of it then have to throw in resonators or something because it's too raspy
More Pictures: Build Thread /// 683AWHP/675AWTQ

Last edited by psmitty95; 02-25-2015 at 05:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 07:15 PM   #1457
Julian2485
Major
Rep
Drives: Black lci e90 335 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmitty95
Alright guys got a question for you... I'm gonna be doing this soon and trying to figure it out. Right now I have stock E90 Exhaust with a secondary cat delete. My concern is the secondary cat delete and it sounding like shit. I know I need an x-pipe to replace the resonator but should I get rid of the secondary cat delete and put vibrant resonators or something there so it doesn't rasp?

Edit: Basically what i'm asking is if anyone has done the recommended setup (x-pipe for e90, outer pipes replaced) with a secondary cat delete? I hate rasp so would hate to do all of it then have to throw in resonators or something because it's too raspy
Definitely throw some resonators on or it will be raspy
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 07:21 PM   #1458
Conti.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' Azurite F80 M3

Garage List
2016 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by psmitty95 View Post

What if you leave the stock resonator in place and just do the muffler portion.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 11:55 PM   #1459
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conti.
Quote:

What if you leave the stock resonator in place and just do the muffler portion.
I think it needs an x pipe or it'll sound like shit tho...

I think i'm gonna order vibrant resonators and see how it sounds with that. Hopefully it gets rid of the rasp and makes it a smooth good tone
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 12:26 AM   #1460
Conti.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I think it needs an x pipe or it'll sound like shit tho...

I think i'm gonna order vibrant resonators and see how it sounds with that. Hopefully it gets rid of the rasp and makes it a smooth good tone

this one would seem similar to what you would be doing. kind of hard to judge in his video though

Quote:
Originally Posted by glachhman View Post
You could try:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Monke...09862329091452

They didnt do the actual PE mod for me but they welded the exhaust back onto the car, welded the tips & installed an x pipe. My car came with the secondaries, oem muffler, & resonator missing

So I bought an oem muffler & xpipe, did PE mod and had it installed.

this one is with res in place but also has cats to, so i don't think it'll sound the same as your would without cats. if anything you could try leaving the res in and if it doesn't sound good make modifications afterwards

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 11:19 AM   #1461
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conti. View Post
this one would seem similar to what you would be doing. kind of hard to judge in his video though

this one is with res in place but also has cats to, so i don't think it'll sound the same as your would without cats. if anything you could try leaving the res in and if it doesn't sound good make modifications afterwards

Hmm interesting. Thanks for the help man. I think i'm gonna go with the PE mod, throw in an xpipe and do resonators in place of the secondary cats. I could be wrong but i'm thinking that might sound perfect so we'll see. I'll of course post vids for everyone when it's done. Hopefully gonna do this in the next week or two. Just gotta find a good but cheap exhaust shop nearby now...
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 10:38 PM   #1462
Julian2485
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

http://<div class="youtube-playerCon.../iframe></div>
Hmm interesting. Thanks for the help man. I think i'm gonna go with the PE mod, throw in an xpipe and do resonators in place of the secondary cats. I could be wrong but i'm thinking that might sound perfect so we'll see. I'll of course post vids for everyone when it's done. Hopefully gonna do this in the next week or two. Just gotta find a good but cheap exhaust shop nearby now...
Trust Me it will sound real nice I have stock secondaries catless dps xpipe e90 and I love it
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 01:30 AM   #1463
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian2485
Quote:
Quote:

http://<div class="youtube-playerCon.../iframe></div>
Trust Me it will sound real nice I have stock secondaries catless dps xpipe e90 and I love it
Yea i'm gonna do vibrant res in place of secondaries though. Got any vids of your setup?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 09:58 AM   #1464
still in school
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

with the driver's side exhaust valve closed on cold starts, is it quieter? Just as in the stock form?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 10:26 AM   #1465
almcbs
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i & FD RX7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian2485 View Post
Really interested in hearing this setup as well. Video please
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 10:36 AM   #1466
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by still in school View Post
with the driver's side exhaust valve closed on cold starts, is it quieter? Just as in the stock form?
No. But think about it. How could it be? You've replaced the perforated pipe that was on the passenger side with a solid pipe. So all the exhaust gas is now flowing out a solid pipe on cold starts.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 10:47 AM   #1467
Julian2485
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by almcbs
Quote:
G glachman actually put a video of my setup on YouTube but I don't think it did it justice in my opinion lol. I actually posted the video a couple pages back
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 10:52 AM   #1468
Julian2485
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian2485
Quote:
Originally Posted by almcbs
Quote:
G glachman actually put a video of my setup on YouTube but I don't think it did it justice in my opinion lol. I actually posted the video a couple pages back
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 11:00 AM   #1469
Conti.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by still in school View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
No. But think about it. How could it be? You've replaced the perforated pipe that was on the passenger side with a solid pipe. So all the exhaust gas is now flowing out a solid pipe on cold starts.

The replaced perforated section is after the pipe that connects the two mufflers so it will still flow through to the other side a bit. It's not completely blocked of. The flap is on the driver side and when its closed it would still flow through to the pass side. It will quiet it down a little bit but not as much to be oem like before mod.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 02:42 PM   #1470
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The replaced perforated section is after the pipe that connects the two mufflers so it will still flow through to the other side a bit. It's not completely blocked of. The flap is on the driver side and when its closed it would still flow through to the pass side. It will quiet it down a little bit but not as much to be oem like before mod.
Have you ever put your hand right in front of the driver's pipe when you start the car?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 06:54 PM   #1471
Conti.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 M3  [0.00]
Nope, haven't put my hand behind the exhaust but with the flap closed on cold start you can see all the exhaust going out the pass side and not the drivers side. Even with both sides modded it should still have the same effect and quiet the tone down it just won't quiet it down as much to normal non modes tones
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 02:36 PM   #1472
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
You've replaced the perforated pipe that was on the passenger side with a solid pipe. So all the exhaust gas is now flowing out a solid pipe on cold starts.
Quote:
The replaced perforated section is after the pipe that connects the two mufflers so it will still flow through to the other side a bit. It's not completely blocked off.
Quote:
Nope, haven't put my hand behind the exhaust but with the flap closed on cold start you can see all the exhaust going out the pass side and not the drivers side.
Huh? You just contradicted yourself after disagreeing with me... When the flap's closed, you don't get any exhaust gases going thru the driver's side. It all goes thru the pass side with is now a solid pipe, and is therefore a lot louder than before, when it was going thru the pass side with a perforated pipe.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 03:45 PM   #1473
Conti.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Huh? You just contradicted yourself after disagreeing with me... When the flap's closed, you don't get any exhaust gases going thru the driver's side. It all goes thru the pass side with is now a solid pipe, and is therefore a lot louder than before, when it was going thru the pass side with a perforated pipe.
I was thinking as if he had the pe mod + golf tee mod vs pe mod and no golf tee mod and how it'll still work even with the pe mod done since the middle pipes are still perforated. It wouldn't be as loud as pe mod + golf tee mod on cold but still loud
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 01:41 AM   #1474
Dave2013
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

to save me reading 68 pages and because some of the links no longer work:

1. did anyone open up a PE exhaust, if so what did they find?
2. did we agree on a method to make the OEM one sound like a PE?
3. what do I need to do for my 2007 335i M Sport to make it work?
4. did anyone find someone in the UK to do this and found it doesnt just give off a rubbish sound?

Thanks

Dave
Appreciate 0