E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Has anyone stopped tipping?

07-07-2023, 08:19 AM   #133
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

well at least it seems everyone is one the same page. i guess the issue is, and more recently for sure. is the sense of entitlement and the ipad tipping. its a guilt trip and I hate beggers. I'd rather be charged more, but since everyone is stupid and can't do simple math, its easier to seperate all this costs and live under the illusion of cheaper prices.

I am so frugal that every cost is mostly accounted for, I will count the cost of the bacon on the side, vs buying a bacon cheeseburger and put the bacon on

The issue is, i've been bitching about this stuff for years, and we are where we are now because it is a slippery slope and we continue to slide down it, because we allow it. 13 dollars for latte WTF. Credit card fee on pizza, get the evil eye when I ask for a box. The markup on these items is INSANE. alas, we have a bunch of righteous people who want to help, which I don't disagree with, but its like raising a spoiled brat on a society level.
Appreciate 6
      07-07-2023, 09:04 AM   #134
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Do you guys tip the barber? I really like the place I go to in NC. It's a very old school barber shop. My issue is they keep changing the price. They have changed it twice I think since I started going about 2 years ago. It use to be something like $16 or $17 maybe started at $16 and raised to $17. Anyways I would alway just give them a $20 since that's what I typically have on me and told them to keep the change. Anyways now they changed the price to $20... bro I ain't a stripper I don't carry around singles and I ain't tipping $20.

Forgot to mention it's cash only
You're in America. First thing I do when i get there is load up on singles 'cos fuck me you burn through them.
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2023, 10:15 AM   #135
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Do you guys tip the barber? I really like the place I go to in NC. It's a very old school barber shop. My issue is they keep changing the price. They have changed it twice I think since I started going about 2 years ago. It use to be something like $16 or $17 maybe started at $16 and raised to $17. Anyways I would alway just give them a $20 since that's what I typically have on me and told them to keep the change. Anyways now they changed the price to $20... bro I ain't a stripper I don't carry around singles and I ain't tipping $20.

Forgot to mention it's cash only
I used to but then I stopped when he started charging $35 just for a beard. I subsequently found a new barber.
      07-07-2023, 10:21 AM   #136
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
You're in America. First thing I do when i get there is load up on singles 'cos fuck me you burn through them.
I actually rarely ever need cash let alone singles. However this place is cash only and since the ATM gives $20s that's usually what I have. I only take out cash maybe a couple of times a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
I used to but then I stopped when he started charging $35 just for a beard. I subsequently found a new barber.
I think I might start just giving them the $20 and see what happens as far as quality staying the same. If not might have to start shaving my head. It's not even about the extra couple bucks, it's the hassle factor. If they took cards it would be a none issue for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2023, 10:29 AM   #137
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
buy a wahl li-ion trimmer. and you will save so much money
Appreciate 2
jmack548.50
      07-07-2023, 10:37 AM   #138
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
buy a wahl li-ion trimmer. and you will save so much money
I have one and other tools. I rarely go to the barbershop these days. I stopped going regularly during the pandemic.
      07-07-2023, 10:57 AM   #139
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
I have one and other tools. I rarely go to the barbershop these days. I stopped going regularly during the pandemic.
I did that too, my wife even helped, but I found it took too long to do it myself so I went back to my haircutter. Happy I did. Nice to get a professional haircut again.
Appreciate 1
Clark_Kent2291.00
      07-07-2023, 11:18 AM   #140
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
I did that too, my wife even helped, but I found it took too long to do it myself so I went back to my haircutter. Happy I did. Nice to get a professional haircut again.
I understand. In the several-year run-up to my finally calling it quits, I grappled with continuing to go. Something about being at the barbershop, getting my haircut, listening to music, watching ESPN, and chatting with the barber is therapeutic.
      07-07-2023, 12:17 PM   #141
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
What strip club?

Is Canada purely Loonies now, or are there still paper Canuck bucks in circulation?????
      07-07-2023, 12:25 PM   #142
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i and R1200RT bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Is Canada purely Loonies now, or are there still paper Canuck bucks in circulation?????
Loonies and twoonies. First paper denomination is a fiver. Also, we don't have pennies anymore.

Name:  Loonie-Toonie-monedas-coins-canada.png
Views: 724
Size:  320.3 KB
Appreciate 3
vreihen1619222.00
Buug95921575.50
      07-07-2023, 12:40 PM   #143
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
well at least it seems everyone is one the same page. i guess the issue is, and more recently for sure. is the sense of entitlement and the ipad tipping. its a guilt trip and I hate beggers. I'd rather be charged more, but since everyone is stupid and can't do simple math, its easier to seperate all this costs and live under the illusion of cheaper prices.

I am so frugal that every cost is mostly accounted for, I will count the cost of the bacon on the side, vs buying a bacon cheeseburger and put the bacon on

The issue is, i've been bitching about this stuff for years, and we are where we are now because it is a slippery slope and we continue to slide down it, because we allow it. 13 dollars for latte WTF. Credit card fee on pizza, get the evil eye when I ask for a box. The markup on these items is INSANE. alas, we have a bunch of righteous people who want to help, which I don't disagree with, but its like raising a spoiled brat on a society level.
Well said. I strongly feel that we have crossed this bridge where workers at jobs like Target, Starbucks, etc. expect that their jobs pay a living wage which is stupid. This is somewhat brought on by the fact that prior to the pandemic, many businesses didn't pay their workers very well. In the past 3 years, the pendulum swing hard the other way and now the expectation from workers is more and more. Businesses can't keep up with the loss of workers thus the push for tipping on everything. My 18 y/o son makes $14/hr at a grocery store (been there 2 years) and he thinks it's bonkers that they pay him that given what he does (bag, check). They're constantly giving out little raises and a number of the part-time 25-30 hour staff in similar positions with 5+ years are making close to $20/hr. That's a $31K/yr working 30 hours a week as a freaking checker?!?!?! I worked in a grocery store all through HS and college and checked, bagged, and ran dairy/frozen food. I was making $6/hr with 8 years of experience when I left in 1993. When you account for inflation, my son's grocery store is paying it's worker 30%+ more than I was paid. Same county/state too.

I also think that much of this has also been brought on by gross over-paying of the upper white collar group. Lower and mid-level white collar workers see that pay and jump ship for another 15+%. Then the masses started doing it. The way the companies managed this was by increasing prices and greedflation. Everything trickles down.

Like others, I too have been watching my costs now. I have plenty of money in my portfolio, but costs are getting out of hand. There are months now where we're spending more than we take in and I'm having to occasionally go in an move some cash from my investment money market account which gets our dividends. Prior to a year ago, I never tapped into that account.
      07-07-2023, 12:50 PM   #144
Markr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d Xdrive M Sport

Some time during Covid, Domino’s Pizza in the UK introduced a delivery charge, and last weekend when we ordered our first pizza in quite a while on the app, it asked us if we wanted to tip the delivery driver before they had even cooked the pizza, let alone delivered it! I agree it is getting pretty bad and is starting to be seen as an entitlement, just like all the discretionary service charges that seem to be added by every restaurant, bistro and bar serving food, irrespective of service. But it is still nothing like it is on the US side of the pond. I found it very hard getting my head around the whole entitlement concept first time I went to the US. I feel for you guys!
      07-07-2023, 01:17 PM   #145
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jane View Post
Loonies and twoonies. First paper denomination is a fiver. Also, we don't have pennies anymore.

Attachment 3222697
Do you ask your stripper "Is that a roll of loo ies are you happy to see me?"
Appreciate 1
vreihen1619222.00
      07-07-2023, 03:29 PM   #146
br438
Infinite Boulder Roller
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Raptor

I tip a good bit to my service advisor at BMW.

I have always tipped 20%+ at restaurants... but... the whole covid, tipping 20% default with more optioned... at the counter when I'm literally just buying food or a drink that is handed right to me.... that crap's got to stop. There's no service to tip for? Pouring a drink is not table service.

I don't know. I am not a fan of the person seeing whether or not you've left a tip before the transaction is complete.

I haven't stopped tipping, but I will probably stop tipping completely for non-service "requests" on the pay portal at walk-in places.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2023, 03:42 PM   #147
nunzo
Peanut Butter and Jelly
Rep
Drives: germans

Garage List
1994 BMW 318i  [10.00]
2023 BMW M3  [10.00]
1997 BMW M3  [10.00]
1994 BMW M3  [9.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by br438 View Post

I don't know. I am not a fan of the person seeing whether or not you've left a tip before the transaction is complete.
This right here is what my problem with it is. There's an expectation of tipping before the service is completed.

Food delivery services are the absolute worst. Problem there is you risk people fucking with your food if you don't tip enough up front. 75% of my orders arrive missing items, cold, etc. I've stopped ordering from places who used to be solid before covid and fell off afterwards.

Site note - since when did chinese spots stop including chopsticks/soy sauce? Last 5-6 times I've ordered from 3 different spots they've not included any.
1994 318i - alpine white / Super Touring Project
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2023, 04:59 PM   #148
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
I'd rather be charged more, but since everyone is stupid and can't do simple math, its easier to seperate all this costs and live under the illusion of cheaper prices.
For someone not native to north america, you've no idea how infuriating the hidden costs are here.

Back home the price is the price, you're charged what it says on the tin, here....i mean it's a guess at best.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2023, 02:33 PM   #149
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

as Larry David has covered every facet of human society here is an accurate representation

Appreciate 1
hubbahubba10927.00
      07-08-2023, 02:35 PM   #150
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:

I have always tipped 20%+ at restaurants... but... the whole covid, tipping 20% default with more optioned... at the counter when I'm literally just buying food or a drink that is handed right to me.... that crap's got to stop. There's no service to tip for? Pouring a drink is not table service.

I haven't stopped tipping, but I will probably stop tipping completely for non-service "requests" on the pay portal at walk-in places.
You tip your SA at BMW? He must use lube.
hubbahubba10927.00
vreihen1619222.00
      07-08-2023, 03:13 PM   #151
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp

Went to the Diamondbacks game last night. There was a Coldstone and the ice cream was pre made. If you are familiar with Coldstone...you know that is ridiculous and it should be made with the actual cold stone.

The woman handed me the ice cream and the screen prompted me for a tip. Literally handed me an ice cream out of the freezer.

She was expecting a tip...I told her verbally there was no way I was tipping for that. I was glad to see the guy in front of me didn't tip either
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2023, 03:17 PM   #152
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp

Quote:

Why would you tip a service advisor? They make like $100,000 a year...lol
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2023, 03:18 PM   #153
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
Went to the Diamondbacks game last night. There was a Coldstone and the ice cream was pre made. If you are familiar with Coldstone...you know that is ridiculous and it should be made with the actual cold stone.

The woman handed me the ice cream and the screen prompted me for a tip. Literally handed me an ice cream out of the freezer.

She was expecting a tip...I told her verbally there was no way I was tipping for that. I was glad to see the guy in front of me didn't tip either
You're militant with this no tipping crusade. I would've just tapped the zero tip option and went back to enjoying the ballgame. Seems like you're asking for a conflict.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2023, 03:25 PM   #154
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Haven’t been to a Starbucks in a while but apparently they ask for tips now? Went to work from there for a bit yesterday, ordered a strawberry acai drink ($5) and the screen flipped over. The lowest was $1 and so on. I tapped no tips. Gonna do my best to stick to that: no tipping for those kind of services and takeout.
Appreciate 2
Tyga113419.50
vreihen1619222.00