E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > another DEF tank sensor failure

12-20-2015, 03:09 PM   #133
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitbread View Post
Make the run up Jess's place in albany. ~3 hours from you!
Link? Shop name? User ID?

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes. I will surely learn a great deal today.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 03:19 PM   #134
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

But here is were I'm twisted: I've already invested many $$$ into a new SCR tank a month ago. To rip this stuff out to sit on the shelf, plus I'm not made of money, I am literally in between a rock and a hard place.

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes. I will surely learn a great deal today.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 04:34 PM   #135
Kaylin032
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 and 335d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattm
Current update. The SM spoke with the BMW factory rep. BMW was will to pick up 40%. While generous for an out of warranty car, that's still $1,700 out of my pocket. Still tough to swallow after just dumping $1,600 two weeks prior. I wrote an email back thanking BMW for their generosity and what the SA and techs have been doing for me. I also mentioned this wasn't a single car but I'm assuming hundreds of 335ds are having an issue, otherwise I'd understand. I also spoke that we've bought five 3 Series since 2000 plus a 1M Coupe. We like the cars and tell others to buy them but with this issue our enthusiasm is waining.
A day later the SA and SM had the rep at the dealership (I'm guessing his regular visit), and they showed him my letter. The rep said the best BMWNA could do was the 40%.
The dealership said they would discount another 10% (very nice on their part). So I'm down to $1,400 for the (f'ing) NOx and thermostat sensors. It's a lot better but still way too many buckets of cash.
My loaner is a 2016 X3 with heads up display.
I feel your pain. I got tired of dealing with the SCR tank problems and ended up selling my 335d with an unresolved check engine light. I hated to part with it, but BMW's mismanagement of this issue was downright shocking and caused me to switch brands. I hope a class-action lawsuit is in the works.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 09:51 PM   #136
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

More fun.

I dropped the car off on the 18th. Yesterday I am told to pick it up. Almost $1,600 after the BMW discount of 40% and 10% from the dealership. Reading the write up a lot was done along with extensive road tests (as per BMW with readings being taken on each step.

But I have two year unlimited warranty for the stuff. In two years I can put on another 50k miles and get my use out of it.

Pick up was at about 4:00 PM (some of you can already figure out where this is going). I get the 335d and go (turning in the loaner 2016 X3 w/heads up display and a MSRP of $54k).

This morning as I'm on my way to meet a client at 10:00, it throws the SES light. Carly sez the error is a Motor Control:
Engine / Motor
DeNOx system efficiency efficiency at low
Code: 4D16
Engine / Motor
Fault: Reducing agent active tank level sensor signal sensor monitoring error
Code: 4BAC

Fook. I email and call my SA. He says yes bring it in. He'll get me (another) car. So it didn't make it 24 hours before firing the light. The SA is at a loss and he had a good tech on it. They followed the exact directions from PUMA (Probably Useless Mechanical Assistance). Loaner is a 2015 328i GT.

This story ain't over yet.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 05:37 AM   #137
Barmlot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Yikes, I guess you can forget what I said about the Nox sensor. GL
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 09:40 AM   #138
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

This morning's update:

Ok Matt, BMW just authorized 100% of the metering/dosing valve and we have to test after that. If we determine it needs a cat, I have to check back with him.
###

Joy. And cat's grow on trees. I'm gonna post on the alphabet delete looking for a cat.

PS: The view out the rear through the hatch of a 328i GT is awful. Please give me a full rear glass of a sedan.

Last edited by mattm; 12-30-2015 at 04:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 02:47 PM   #139
Mrchntmarine
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylin032 View Post
I feel your pain. I got tired of dealing with the SCR tank problems and ended up selling my 335d with an unresolved check engine light. I hated to part with it, but BMW's mismanagement of this issue was downright shocking and caused me to switch brands. I hope a class-action lawsuit is in the works.
Yep, sold mine too. Can't believe they can get away with this cra*. Like to be a whistle blower on an emissions suit $$$$$$$$$. 3 cats, a def tank later and nox sensors galore, this car whooped my ass. Too bad BMW. Shame on you.
2005 Mercedes SL55 (sold) 2006 Range Rover HSE (sold) 2006 Porsche 911 C4S Cab 2010 BMW X5 Diesel (sold)2010 335D (sold) 2010 Range Rover HSE (sold)2012 Q5 TDI (sold) 2014 Q5 TDI 2016 Audi A6(sold) 2023 Porsche CayenneGTS - sold. 2024 Cayenne POS - getting ready to sell
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 09:37 PM   #140
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

I got word that BMW is buying the SCR cat. Yay! It is being shipped out of Germany with an ETA of 7-10 days. I offered to drop the loaner off, but they don't want any further damage to the SCR in my 335d. They then sent a follow up email asking for me to swap the car I have (328i GT) tomorrow with something else as the GT is due for service. Nice!

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 09:18 PM   #141
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Here's the current update. The shop foreman responded to a note after I hadn't heard from my SA (he was out sick).
When we checked last week on your SCR catalytic convertor, there were 50 or so backorders waiting to be filled from our local warehouse and your car was around 30th in the list. I am going to go recheck with parts now to see how the warehouse is doing with filling those orders. I'll get back to you before the end of the day Matt.

They do not have an ETA on the cat. They are now saying it's okay to go back to my 335d. I replied noting that Jan. 7 they wanted me to stay in the loaner so as to not further effect the 335d. The SA said he would let me know Monday.

A little later the service manager emailed:
> Hi Matt,
> Sorry about the delay on the cat. The SCR cat efficiency should not have any effect on the longevity of any other parts of the vehicle that I am aware of, it will have some effect on the level of NOX emitted from the exhaust for emissions, and there should be no drivability concerns. The NOx sensors have a two year unlimited mileage warranty, however I don't believe we have had any fail twice yet. I will leave it to Walter to arrange a time for you to swap out cars. Thank you for your patience and cooperation.
> Regards,
> Joe

I replied:
> Dear Joe, et al:
> Thank you for your reply. Sadly, other 335d owners have swapped NOx sensors and other SCR parts (tanks, metering valves, heaters, temp sensors) multiple times. That's what makes this so frustrating is that all of us can go through all this, and we may be back at this spot sooner than later. That's why I'm concerned about contaminating anything until the cat is replaced. Matt>

His final reply (at 6:40 PM):
I understand your concerns Matt, and I apologize for reliability.
We'll do our best to make the car reliable again.
Have a good weekend!
Joe

I've been in the 320i loaner since Jan. 7th. I had been in the 328iGT prior from 12/23/15. That's not including the week prior to that in the X3 when the NOx sensors were replaced.

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 05:19 AM   #142
Barmlot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Frustrating, I know. At least gas is cheaper than diesel right now? How are you liking the new 3s, not quite the same, is it?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 07:04 AM   #143
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

No, the F Three Series are a gussied up Camry for too much money. Sadly, a newer BMW will not be in my family's future. Believe it or not, given the cost of regular gas, a Toyota Avalon Hybrid looks pretty good (40 city, 39 highway). It being front wheel drive is the only sucky part, but RWD gas mileage isn't great. Infiniti has AWD Hybrid but big dollars. A friend is also the parts & service manager at the local Toyota store, so I know I'd be taken care of. Part of me wants to run the 335d to the ground *once* I get it back. But if it throws the SES codes it becomes hard to sell or "damaged goods."

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 09:31 AM   #144
Frediesel
Private
Rep
Drives: 318is

I think I will be going with the repair option from Canada. I think it's the way to go when comparing their lifetime warranty vs. BMW's 2-year warranty. Some have had this fail multiple times. It would be one less thing to worry about financially speaking (it would still be a pain to have the car out of commission during the process. I figure maybe a week shouldn't be too bad.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 07:28 PM   #145
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Here is the final follow up. The SCR was finally bought from a dealer in Long Island last Wednesday. I don't think my car was brought back in until Friday or Yesterday. I got a call from the Service Manager saying they wanted to do one more long run test. I said I'd pencil in today to swap out of the loaner.

I'm guessing PUMA wanted the extensive testing. By 4:00 PM today I was heading home in the 335d after not seeing it since December 23rd.

I heard BMWNA balked at the labor for installing the SCR cat pipe, but the dealership ate it. That's lousy of BMWNA.

2,900 miles on the loaner (lordy I am not a fan of a 320i).

I did pay for a fuel filter installation (my choice but probably due).

My service advisor gave notice two weeks ago and his last day was Friday. I'm disappointed I did not get a chance to say goodbye. The casher noted they had been discussing what to tell and do for customers who liked him and would be looking for him. Nice guy and had a clue. I wish him the best, but I am disappointed he won't be there.

I'm still debating getting a Toyota Hybrid, suck up the lack of performance and embrace reliability and super high gas mileage. Either a Avalon Hybrid Limited or spend a few more bucks on a Lexus E300h (essentially the same car, but the Lexus has LED headlights!). They are 40 city and 39 highway and nice bells and whistles inside. The Avalon looks pretty sharp. I'd still have the 1M Coupe to pound pavement when fun is needed (sort of like I've done the past three months).

Nice to hit the loud pedal again and get some response (like when entering a highway).
Attached Images

Last edited by mattm; 03-02-2016 at 08:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 08:05 PM   #146
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

What do y'all think is my over/under for the SES light coming back on? Wager on miles and/or time.
The cat was $1,460 on realoem but a BMW dealer was offering it for $882. The metering valve was $401 on realoem, and $135 online.
No labor hours, but the shop is $149.80 an hour.

Last edited by mattm; 03-01-2016 at 08:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 10:24 PM   #147
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattm
Here is the final follow up. The SCR was finally bought from a dealer in Long Island last Wednesday. I don't think my car was brought back in until Friday or Yesterday. I got a call from the Service Manager saying they wanted to do one more long run test. I said I'd pencil in today to swap out of the loaner.

I'm guessing PUMA wanted the extensive testing. By 4:00 PM today I was heading home in the 335d after not seeing it since December 23rd.

I heard BMWNA balked at the labor for installing the SCR cat pipe, but the dealership ate it. That's lousy of BMWNA.

2,900 miles on the loaner (lordy I am not a fan of a 320i).

I did pay for a fuel filter installation (my choice but probably due).

My service advisor gave notice two weeks ago and his last day was Friday. I'm disappointed I did not get a chance to say goodbye. The casher noticed they had been discussing what to tell and do for customers who liked him and would be looking for him. Nice guy and had a clue. I wish him the best, but I am disappointed he won't be there.

I'm still debating getting a Toyota Hybrid, suck up the lack of performance and embrace reliability and super high gas mileage. Either a Avalon Hybrid Limited or spend a few more bucks on a Lexus E300h (essentially the same car, but the Lexus has LED headlights!). They are 40 city and 39 highway and nice bells and whistles inside. The Avalon looks pretty sharp. I'd still have the 1M Coupe to pound pavement when fun is needed (sort of like I've done the past three months).

Nice to hit the loud pedal again and get some response (like when entering a highway).
Who is your dealer?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 08:56 AM   #148
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

BMW of Bridgeport (CT). I truly believe they worked on my behalf given my car has 90k miles and I was the second owner buying last year at 74k miles.

Last edited by mattm; 03-02-2016 at 09:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 10:48 AM   #149
kydiesel35
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 10:22 PM   #150
timmyklang
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D 2011

Looking back at my old bmw invoices and bmw service visits, the SCR has been replaced quite a few times due to a recall. Now, this was back in 2013. Now it's 2016 and my car's SES light is on again, throwing DEF tank error code P205B and P205C. I thought this problem was fixed with a recalled tank. Is there a new recall or a new tank made to replace the bad ones?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 09:46 AM   #151
kbsilver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340GT & '22 eDrive40

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyklang View Post
Looking back at my old bmw invoices and bmw service visits, the SCR has been replaced quite a few times due to a recall. Now, this was back in 2013. Now it's 2016 and my car's SES light is on again, throwing DEF tank error code P205B and P205C. I thought this problem was fixed with a recalled tank. Is there a new recall or a new tank made to replace the bad ones?
I'm currently getting P203A on my original tanks. This only happens when the level of the active tank gets low and I believe it's the high level sensor. Car is going in this week and we shall see (under extended warranty).
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 11:05 AM   #152
dixy2k
Major
Rep
Drives: 335d

It's good you still have the warranty.

I am way past that, but continue to drive with the code on al the time and both DEF tanks full. I learned how to ignore the CEL.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 02:20 PM   #153
HeyDouglas
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335d

I got that P205B code too. It's been about a week and every time I clear it, it doesn't take long for it to comeback.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 10:07 AM   #154
Frediesel
Private
Rep
Drives: 318is

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixy2k View Post
It's good you still have the warranty.

I am way past that, but continue to drive with the code on al the time and both DEF tanks full. I learned how to ignore the CEL.
I hope your registration/smog test isn't due soon if you're still in California. How do you know that both of your tanks are full? Did you do your own DEF fill last?
Appreciate 0