E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > A brief encounter.....

10-03-2011, 01:10 PM   #133
Baby Dave
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E90 320d m sport

Lo
      10-03-2011, 01:21 PM   #134
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Two words...

Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag

Nice.

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 01:27 PM   #135
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Tony, I think it's time for a new user name for Palmnuts.

10-03-2011, 01:30 PM   #136
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Need to start a poll I think.
      10-03-2011, 01:56 PM   #137
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Not too sure you can change Andrews username each time he
changes his car; Tony has a 'proper' job to do you know - who would peel the spud if he was forever changing names!!!
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 03:41 PM   #138
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring

Like it.

Love the alloys.

That B pillar was very scratched - makes you wonder how it used to be washed!

Not sure about the steering wheel - looks a tad thin and no thumb bumps.

That tax scam would have made me angry. It is just taking the p*ss and insulting. They are assuming you are a mug. It would be tempting to turn it around on them i.e. "right, I've have a personal law that says I can't buy a car from a dealer that tries to mislead/rob me of my old tax without giving them a fine of £30. So not only can you not have the tax from my trade in but unless you pay me £30 as a penalty for being cheeky lying monkeys I'm going to walk out of the door."
      10-03-2011, 04:11 PM   #139
E902717
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E91 335d M-Sport

Cracking motor andrew

I think his name should be oldnuts to go with the new jaaaaaagg!

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 05:29 PM   #140
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & Panamera Turbo S

Wow...what a range of opinions here - clearly one of the more controversial cars I've bought. Excellent! Theres nothing more boring than everyone agreeing and if this car can generate enough passion to create a good argument, this might be a keeper (remember, 'keeper' is all relative )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
It is very nice.

Btw if you want to hide your plate like you have in some photos, you better edit the photo where the second half of the plate is showing.
Picture now corrected....thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iLondon View Post
Cracking car.
Lovely sounding v8 in those things.
Big fan of Red and cream, If it was mine I would be very tempted by the Blue colour they offer though.

One thing I would ask, is it still a proper drivers car?
I just cannot imagine getting a slush box...

I would have kicked off good and proper about the tax thing.
I cant really thing of another industry where sales people try and con you with such lies.
Top bloke for making it stick, hopefully they will think twice. (Feel sorry for average Joe/Jane Public) pissing money away because some knob head sales man says they have to.
I too liked the blue but the red is the only 'XFR' unique colour and I don't want it accidentally being mistaken for a regular diesel one do I!

'Proper' drivers car? Not in the sense of the M3, no. But compared to the C63 / Maserati / M6....most definitely. It's a 2 tonne car so will always have that problem to overcome but it would certainly show those 3 a clean pair of heals on an undulating B-road (my previous KW coilover-suspended C63 excepted of course )

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerxp View Post
Going to buck the trend here for me and be controversial . Not really feeling this car at all . The image of the Jaaaaag, particularily in this 4-door guise, is just too unshakeable for me. I've no doubt that it's a glorious machine with a glorious interior but, if it was a route I was taking, it would be an alternative 4 door sports/supercar (problem being you've used your M5/6 token, and have bad a Maserati experience that wipes out the Quadroporte).

I know you've got your reasons for this car choice mate but I am also I fairly confident it will be shifted on relatively quickly so I feel less guity being honest .

Think I'd have chosen an RS6 personally but know you had your reasons for avoiding this.

The main thing is you seem happy and that's what's important .
You know what Roger, you can really go off someone....go get your IP4 from someone else

Seriously though, image is one big negative for me so I've got to get over that myself....I'm not saying I will be able to but time will tell. Interestingly, cruising the streets of Lugabaruga today, as you do, I did notice on more than one occasion the car getting quite a few 'positive' looks and I even heard a group of students say 'look at the XFR'.

Maybe I got the image of this thing all wrong?? (And no, it wasn't OAP's looking at it....it's a student town you know )

Your comments of choosing an RS6 over this offends me. On that note, you are simply....wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Thing View Post
Good write up as usual although I'm not sure it's you Andrew. Think you must be changing Cars more frequent than me now although my Scirocco and M3 have both left and I've got a TT-RS So if you want to pop round some time (I'll show you mine if you show me yours)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjs View Post
Any wood?
I'm not sure it's me either but hey....I have the faster car now You've had more than 5 cars in the last year and not one of mine have been new

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbin View Post
Love the sound these make, and the interior is very nice.....but.....sorry, don't like it in red, and really prefer the new front end just launched.....sorry....

But as a means to an end its a great choice!
I too prefer the new model....and it has a much better hard drive nav. I also like the red on the new model which is a metallic version of what I have....so much nicer. However, is it worth £15k more (assuming I got at least 12% discount on one) when it;s going to drive exactly the same? I don't think so - but it may be a good buy in 6 months or so......

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92westy View Post
WHAT!!!
No wet sanding.....
No, this time I've bought a car from a manufacture that can put paint on in mildly competent manner. It still has orange peel but not to the extent the M3 had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux View Post
Great review Andrew. I'm looking forward to seeing it - and hitching a ride as well! Now I wonder whether you'll ever bring that ship to the 'Ring...

Alpina_B3_Lux
'Ship'?..... you cheeky foreigner! Hilarious

Quote:
Only if he has a trip planned in the next couple of weeks .

Sorry Andrew .

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Have you decided to sell it yet?
I did wonder if I should just send it back under the 30-day exchange scheme and buy a new facelift one? Yes, that thought has crossed my mind then I realised I don't have the extra funds and would in any case rather spend a couple of G's on making it silly fast

Quote:
I actually meant to type 'weeks' - even Andrew isn't that mental .

That said I wanted to petrol-bomb the RX8 after only a couple of days!!! I was starting to worry before I reached the end of the road the dealership was on!!!
Hey, at least I like the way my car drives and the only issue is to do with 'brand' rather than the product itself! Did you not test drive the RX8 first?

I guess the most similar situation I've been to you was with the Maserati - yes, it seemed nice for the first few days but I soon reached the edge of it's dynamic envelope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
Two words...

Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag

Nice.

This car is right up your street Tony.....it'll probably suit you more than me!

I remember your facial expressions when driving the C63 over the streets of the big smoke after I had the KW suspension fitted....you were deeply impressed and nodding approvingly. You'll be the same with the Jaaaaaaaag!

Sorry I've not come down yet....the weekend was too nice to be sat on the M1....I'll try and pop in Wednesday evening after I finish in Acton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
Tony, I think it's time for a new user name for Palmnuts.

I want this one....two Jag's! Yes, I like this image

Funnily enough, my old man actually does have two-Jags

Quote:
Not too sure you can change Andrews username each time he
changes his car; Tony has a 'proper' job to do you know - who would peel the spud if he was forever changing names!!!
Tony has employees to do that - he's in charge of the MEAT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///ajd View Post
Like it.

Love the alloys.

That B pillar was very scratched - makes you wonder how it used to be washed!

Not sure about the steering wheel - looks a tad thin and no thumb bumps.

That tax scam would have made me angry. It is just taking the p*ss and insulting. They are assuming you are a mug. It would be tempting to turn it around on them i.e. "right, I've have a personal law that says I can't buy a car from a dealer that tries to mislead/rob me of my old tax without giving them a fine of £30. So not only can you not have the tax from my trade in but unless you pay me £30 as a penalty for being cheeky lying monkeys I'm going to walk out of the door."
The B-pillar was reflective of the whole car - it just photo'd better on the black. He couldn't get every scratch out without being too aggressive but he got 90% of the swirls. I spent the day with him learning how do it with a rotary so I think I'll buy my own kit and do it myself in future.

The steering wheel is about normal compared to most cars I've had and no thinner than the ones in the Mercs and Maserati. It is, like almost every other steering wheel, a lot thinner when compared to a BMW M-Sport wheel.

I'd like to think that if there was another car in the colour combo/spec/price that I could get elsewhere, I would have walked at that stage. It's obviously different at the time you're in the situation but I'd have loved to see his face as I got up and walked out (they did have £500 of my money though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by E902717 View Post
Cracking motor andrew

I think his name should be oldnuts to go with the new jaaaaaagg!
That's right....keep 'em coming!

You can all chuckle to yourselves with your fashionable 'young' brands....but if you sat in the Jaaaaaag, especially at night, you'd see that the old-mans car has the far more modern, contemporary interior.

Oh, some of us don't need to pretend to be young

Unfortunately, I do these days

Last edited by Palmnuts; 10-03-2011 at 05:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 05:42 PM   #141
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Pmsl will!!!!!

Car looks good Andrew. You can pull it off now your nearly 40!!!
      10-03-2011, 06:00 PM   #142
Real Thing
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi TT-RS Plus + MK6 Golf R

Must be something in the air Andrew mate with the M3 (one I tried to sell you) is just trying to do a deal for this:

Not an R but can't believe the price that this will come out at what a lot of Car for the Money
      10-03-2011, 06:04 PM   #143
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Would have loved the XKR for the shape, interior etc...lovely car.

BUT - it's not really suitable for what I'll use it for and the seats....what were they thinking?? They're nearly as bad as the ones in the Maserati!

Last edited by Palmnuts; 10-03-2011 at 06:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 06:15 PM   #144
Real Thing
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
Would have loved the XFR for the shape, interior etc...lovely car.

BUT - it's not really suitable for what I'll use it for and the seats....what were they thinking?? They're nearly as bad as the ones in the Maserati!
Take it you mean XKR
      10-03-2011, 06:42 PM   #145
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Thing View Post
Take it you mean XKR
Yes, post corrected!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 02:40 AM   #146
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

+rep for you if you post a video of all the dash stuff opening up when you start it
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 07:24 AM   #147
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
'Ship'?..... you cheeky foreigner! Hilarious
Well it IS huge! I just saw one parked besides my car, and the 335i looked rather small besides it! But well, I understand you, as you get older, you need more comfort, that's normal. I'm probably the exception...
Quote:
This car is right up your street Tony.....it'll probably suit you more than me!
That may be true! Have you seen the 7 series he drove recently? I found he looked right at home in there.

Then again, he's fallen in love with his Mini...go figure!
Quote:
I remember your facial expressions when driving the C63 over the streets of the big smoke after I had the KW suspension fitted....you were deeply impressed and nodding approvingly.
I think you misunderstood him.

He didn't nod approvingly, he was nodding off. That's different, you know.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      10-04-2011, 07:30 AM   #148
sufchenko
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D SE

don't usually say much but love your readups. I look forward to your next write up on car seats.
      10-07-2011, 04:54 PM   #149
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux View Post
Well it IS huge! I just saw one parked besides my car, and the 335i looked rather small besides it!

That may be true! Have you seen the 7 series he drove recently? I found he looked right at home in there.

Then again, he's fallen in love with his Mini...go figure!
I think you misunderstood him.

He didn't nod approvingly, he was nodding off. That's different, you know.

Alpina_B3_Lux
Some of us need bigger cars to accommodate bigger.....erm....'things'

Nodding off driving my AMG? You're mistaken....he wasn't listening to a BMW you know
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 05:06 PM   #150
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: too much

Quote:
Some of us need bigger cars to accommodate bigger.....erm....'things'

Nodding off driving my AMG? You're mistaken....he wasn't listening to a BMW you know

If you've finally figured out how your erm paml...nuts work then itll be an amazing journey for you, congrats.
      10-30-2011, 05:27 PM   #151
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

So, 6 weeks in, is the Jag going to be a keeper (in the relative sense....6 months would be a keeper the way I've been going)?

I was a bit unsure of the XFR even when buying it - I had no issue with the car as such, just whether the whole experience was going to 'satisfy' me once the feeling of newness rubbed off. I was also a bit concerned by the brand image (being a youngster and all that ).

So, the newness has definitely worn off as I've already added 2.5k miles (30%!) to the milage it had when I got it and, unusually, I am getting more and more impressed with the car as time goes on. Unlike most of my other cars which initially impressed then started to have features or quirks that got on my nerves, the XFR experience isn't like this. For instance....

The M6 had that gearbox (and the Maserati reminded me again why a single clutch paddle shift is shit)

Both C63's had steering columns attached to the car with tie wraps (such was the vibration you got through to the wheel - I can't believe other people don't notice this ). Otherwise though, the C63's were spot-on.

The 911 Turbo...well, it was probably the best 'engineered' car I had but I hated the 4wd-induced initial understeer, the creaky clutch and the numerous rattles and creaks.

I should never have sold it for the Maserati though - apart from the looks and the noise, it ended up being average at everything else....just not good enough.

And the M3's....nothing wrong with them at all, hence I went back to one in the summer. Maybe they lacked torque making them feel a bit 'slow' and the interior was a bit ordinary but nothing actually bothered me - both of them were the only cars that I didn't sell due to not liking something about the car.

The XFR, in contrast to most of the above is earning more of my respect everyday. It really is VERY fast indeed...the official 0-60/100 stats may not show it to be any quicker than most of the above (and slower than some) but once you're actually moving, the instant and large quantity of power and torque punch the car along at ridiculous pace. It's the only car I've owned other than the 911 Turbo in which you feel the acceleration in your gut (the M6 managed this but in 3rd gear only...the 911 and XFR appear relentless in comparison!).

The gearbox is great - not as fast shifting as the DCT M3 but I've never once wished for a quicker shift which means it must be quick enough! It's far smoother off the mark than a DCT though.

The build quality....absolutely exceptional! In almost any car I've had I'd get stressed about rattles or buzzes or creaks or any kind of trim noise - I hate them But in the Jag, I don't get stressed about any of this as there's just no such noises...even when I listen for them! Driving along, the impression of solidity that you get makes it it's feels like the most torsionally rigid chassis of all the cars I've had and the interior trim doesn't make a peek over any surface (the Porsche may have been even stiffer but it was ruined by all the trim noises).

It's as refined as the M6 (hitherto, my most refined car), it rides better than all of them and it turns in, grips and has a balance thats better than any of my list except the M3 (OK, it doesn't grip as well as the Porsche but it does 'feel' better in the way it turns in).

I can get in the XFR on a dull morning and drive it to work without getting pissed off about anything, I look forward to sitting it on the motorway (on the days that I have to head to the big smoke) and it's great fun to whip along a B-road.

If I was to be harsh on it I'd say that the sound is too subtle, the driving position a bit too 'normal' (no worse than most saloon car's I've had but not as good as the proper sports cars) and it looks a bit too much like a normal XF.

I know some of you are unimpressed with this car but this is one case where until you've driven one, you have no idea just how good it is. OK, I can't get away from the fact that it's a Jag but (apart from on here!) I've not had a single negative comment about 'what' it is.

So, with all that said.....is it going to be a keeper through winter? Well, maybe!

You see, a few weeks ago I was invited to an owners evening at my local Jag dealer. As well as being one of only 3 or 4 people out of the 100 or so that were under 400 years old, I was the only person to be handed the 'winning' raffle ticket! Now, I've never won a raffle before so when I was handed yellow number 17 on arrival, I didn't expect much. I certainly didn't expect to have yellow number 17 called out at the end of the night and I certainly didn't expect to be told that I'd won....an XKR. For the weekend. A bottle of plonk, a free keyring....maybe. But a whole XKR?

On Friday I went to collect the XKR to use this weekend and to be honest, I wasn't expecting a lot. I wasn't excited and even turned up late to pick it up as I expected it to be similar to the XFR but 'older' in design and with the crap seats that stopped me looking at them previously.

You can sense this going somewhere now, can't you......

When I got in it, a new 2012 model with Jag's new sports seats from the XKR-S, sunk myself down into a real 'sports-car' driving position and piloted it out from the forecourt, it felt monumentally different to my car.

It's absolutely nails everything and is, to date, the very best car I've driven bar nothing.

As it's aluminium bodied (and about 200kg lighter), it is noticeably faster than my car (really...this feels much like the 911 Turbo, even if ultimately, it may not be...see here, theres not a lot of difference). This is also the only car I've driven that compares to the M3 for handling (only it power slides much easier ) yet it rides very nearly as well as the XFR....I am in awe at how well the car rides given it is so sharp and roll free in the bends. It gives a much greater sense of confidence to throw it around than my car, no doubt due to the smaller size, shorter wheelbase and lower centre of gravity but it's the most fun car I've driven on the road...ever.

Then on top of this, it retains most of the exceptional refinement of the XFR yet the engine/exhaust sound is so much more noticeable and aggressive (it has that angry AMG-like sound of God gurgling which is lacking from inside my car), it looks so much better than the XFR and the build quality is again, incredible. I let Vicki's dad drive it for a blast today and whilst we were cruising along a rough-surfaced dual carriageway at about 90 (on the sort of surface that normally creates loud tyre roar and buzzes from trim), I could hear a ticking. I know this sounds cliche but I kid you not, it was the second hand on his watch!

I absolutely love it and have been telling Ms 'nuts that it's THE car have been waiting for and that she needs to get a 4-door and allow me to get this. If I have my way, I'll have one by December.

The negotiations have started both with the other half and with the dealer (both of whom are being very receptive at the minute...the dealer in particular is eager to do one of those silly deals that makes you wonder just how much profit is in a car if someone pays near list...we're talking 20-25% off!). The sticking block will likely only be the potential loss on trading in my XFR just weeks after purchasing it so it all comes down to how much money Jag are going to put behind the deal.

Whatever the outcome, keep the XFR or buy an XKR, I'll be happy for the foreseeable and find myself in the unusual position of not hankering after some AMG, M-car or something exotic....I'm just really impressed with Jaguar's latest products and, after driving my dad's 2004 XK8 a few weeks ago (IMO, not a great car), I can't believe just how much their products have changed over the last few years.

Last edited by Palmnuts; 10-30-2011 at 05:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 05:36 PM   #152
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

lolol!!!

Mate, I was going to reply saying how after the quick pass ride at the Cotswolds meet I can fully appreciate why you might want to keep this car a little longer than most.

.......then I read the bottom of the thread.

You are a mentalist mate. A flat out mentalist

But the XKR is clearly the one to go for The best jag in the range and one of the best drivers cars on the market. When I got the inclination you were going for a Jag (and started hassling Rog for the gossip via PM ) I was surprised it was an XF and not an XK you went for then But as you need (needed? ) 4 doors, fair enough.
Don't get me wrong. Both are superb cars. But you know you want the XK Dooo it.

Dave
      10-30-2011, 07:25 PM   #153
Real Thing
Lieutenant
Rep

Glad your liking it Andrew (or are you just saying this to prove us all wrong ) Saw my mates Friday and was very impressed he ending up getting a XK Portfolio although surprised for such a big Car how little space there is inside (Boot and Back Seats) I know you always get a good deal anyway but I'd be careful with prices as my Friend was getting offered less than 6 Month old Cars with the equivalent of about 35 - 40% off (+ the VAT if Qualifying)
      10-31-2011, 02:29 AM   #154
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Ha ha, were you really all that surprised the Dealer handed you the winning raffle ticket? Really? They're not THAT dumb, they saw you approaching, and fixed the raffle - lined up their Christmas bonus nicely I'd say .
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0