E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Official Montreal Members Thread

Closed Thread

11-22-2005, 09:29 PM   #155
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d 421,000kms

There wasn't any snow on the ground then....but tonight on the way home the 40 towards Ottawa was nice and sheet icy.... I even got my DSC to work a bit....even with xDrive!

Time to start testing the xi's limits, and then put on the snow tires!

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2005, 08:09 PM   #156
findtom
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60 545i

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf359
Looks like you guys had a lot of fun!

Nobody took a shot of an E90 splashing snow while turning?
Let's wait for the lake to freeze over and then see how the DSC handles a handbrake turn on sheet ice at 120km/hr!

I would love explaining to my insurance co. how my car ended up at the bottom of the lake in January.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2005, 10:18 PM   #157
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep

Looks like I get to play tomorrow..I'll only have the snows on the rims by tomorrow night!

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2005, 07:44 AM   #158
findtom
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StewtheBassman
Looks like I get to play tomorrow..I'll only have the snows on the rims by tomorrow night!
It's looking foul today, I'm about to head out into it. Have fun!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2005, 09:00 AM   #159
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

Hey, made it to work OK.

My winter tires are great. I wanted to see how she handles without the nannies, so I turned off the DSC on my way to work. As long as you give gas slowly off the line and do a very short shift to second, no problemo. It does slip a bit on acceleration, but this is actually a good thing when you turn as it helps you make the turn. Saw two cars in the sidewalk, in the same spot in Westmount, where the Boulevard turns sharply to the left (going East), one over the curb on a retaining wall (in a turn-they guy obviously went to fast, tried to brake and became a straight shooting missile) and another, a couple of feet away with a cracked mag (cracked against the sidewalk - same thing happened to him). Both were fronties and both went too fast.

I think me's gonna have fun in the winter.

Tonight I'll drive home with the DSC on to see the difference it makes and how it intervenes.

Have a good day everyone.

Last edited by Bimmerista; 11-24-2005 at 05:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2005, 01:14 PM   #160
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep

I went out into this mess with my All Seasons still on. Amazed at xDrive. The only reason I turned around and came home at St. Charles was because of the dead stopped traffic!

Sooo glad I got the xi!!!

Now if I could just figure out how to use my damn impact wrench!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2005, 04:29 PM   #161
Wolf359
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewtheBassman
I went out into this mess with my All Seasons still on. Amazed at xDrive. The only reason I turned around and came home at St. Charles was because of the dead stopped traffic!
I'm so glad I left earlier this morning and avoided this mess (I was at the office at 7:07, the snow had begun 10 minutes before that time). A co-worker turned back home because of this mess, and another one almost crashed (He went sideways on the highway for a few feet before turning on the shoulder and avoiding the four cars that had crashed in a row just in front of him - And that was a few hundred feet from the bigger smash). Hellish day...!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2005, 05:17 PM   #162
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep

I did not even take the highway, too afraid of the traffic.

I am going to go home ina few minutes, but looking out the window, the streets look clear, stopped snowing.

Should not be a problem.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2005, 06:51 PM   #163
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep

Stole the neighbour's 1/2" ratchet and did the tire swap at 4pm....the Dunlop M3s ride great!

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2005, 09:34 PM   #164
ssam
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: carefully

Well happy to read that you are all fine...

I have to say this was my worst driving day of my life....and I have been driving for 14 years !!!

It took me 2h30 from downtown to valleyfield.......and I saw so many accidents....they also close the 20 before Pointe-Claire....

I regret to say that my e90 handling was so bad.....?!? I hope I `ll see a major change when I ll put my winter tires

My previous FWD cars were much better during winter.....even with all season tires on

tell me bimmerista.....regarding handling in the snow.....isn t the Audi FWD better than the e90?

Or is it just because of my high performance low profile summer tires that I had a so bad experience ?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2005, 09:52 PM   #165
findtom
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
Well aside a few hairy moments involving trucks with trailers fishtailing behind them I really enjoyed driving in the snow with my RWD E90 today.

The braking and handling is incredible... and you really feel the DSC/DTC doing its job. It was fun to take them off and skid around a bit but I felt so much safer with both systems running. The DTC controls acceleration perfectly and the DSC got the car through sharp turns in a parking so well I couldn't believe it.

I definately don't miss the feeling of previous FWD cars plowing into a corner with the steering rendered useless... and you really feel the handling benefits of a 50/50 balanced car in the snow.

Ahhh... I love this car more every time I drive it.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2005, 09:55 PM   #166
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssam

I have to say this was my worst driving day of my life....and I have been driving for 14 years !!!

It took me 2h30 from downtown to valleyfield.......and I saw so many accidents....they also close the 20 before Pointe-Claire....

I regret to say that my e90 handling was so bad.....?!? I hope I `ll see a major change when I ll put my winter tires

My previous FWD cars were much better during winter.....even with all season tires on

tell me bimmerista.....regarding handling in the snow.....isn t the Audi FWD better than the e90?

Or is it just because of my high performance low profile summer tires that I had a so bad experience ?
Sam, I'm glad you made it okay throught this most horrible of winter days. Downtown to Valleyfield must have been HELL. Sorry you had to make the trip today and couldn't cancel like me.

I remember when I had my Jetta in the early 90s with my "Aquatread" tires that I was so proud of. Driving to small town Ontario in a major storm on the 401...I think FWD with All seasons might be a tad better than RWD. I never drove my 325i without snows last winter, and even then I found it tough. That's why I chickened out and got the xi, which was great, even with my girlie low performance 16" all seasons today.

Your performance should improve a great deal with the snow tires...what did you finally decide on?

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2005, 09:58 PM   #167
ssam
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Thx Findtom....I feel better now.....than it s just because of the high performance summer tires.....

I hope I will notice a major difference with winter tires on
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2005, 10:03 PM   #168
ssam
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I m going with the lazer thing (Dunlop)

is there someone who would recommend the bridgestone blizzak?

and if you have the sport package is better to go with 225 all around or 225 front and 255 back?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2005, 10:30 PM   #169
findtom
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
I'm sure you will Sam. I would have been pretty scared driving on summer tires from downtown to valleyfield. Should be good practice at least! After making it through today, once you get your winters on driving should be a breeze.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2005, 08:22 AM   #170
benoitch
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Quote:
I m going with the lazer thing (Dunlop)

is there someone who would recommend the bridgestone blizzak?

and if you have the sport package is better to go with 225 all around or 225 front and 255 back?
I Don't recommend the Blizzak. They are great for the few starting months, but wear really fast. And they aren't cheap either !

As for size, even if you keep 17" wheels I recomment 215 all around. But I don't think Dunlop makes them, only 225. That'll be 225 all around. I personnally have 215 on 17 all around. My Toyo's handled the snow quite well yesterday. In my area, we got approx. 12 cm of snow. Obviously, new tires would have been a tad better, I already have one season on these tires.

As for the RWD and handling of the E90, well, not as perfect as my former xi (you'll find it quite stable Stew) but still easily handled. Of course, the car is more powerfull. In many occasions I prefered disabling the DTC at least. Helps start faster on a stop. Sure you dance the flamingo a bit, but it is easily handled. The fact remains that you leave off faster than with a FWD. I remember mine: starting too fast and the front was going on one side to the point you had to either use the hand brack on release the gaz and almost stop. Now with this one, a gentle modulation of the accelerator and you set your path. Quite fun ! But on the highway at higher speed, I prefer leaving the DTC on. Just to be on the safest side.

With the XI, I hardly moved at all sideways. The car was always going as straight as one could go. Also, the DSC was not triggering like this one does all too often.

ssam, hurry up and change your summers. Are you crazy or what ! With winters, you'll get the hang of it quite fast. To the point you might not what a FWD anymore, ever (aside maybe an XI !).

http://www.benoitchampagne.com
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2005, 09:18 AM   #171
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Hello SSam, you are one brave dude. You could have been driving a truck and with high performance summer tires with a 255 width in the rear you would still be dancing the flaminco as Benoitch put it so well.

You will see a marked improvement once you get your winter tires on. Remember, you were driving with SUMMER tires*!!!

Of course my Audi (had the quattro) cannot be compared with my BMW - winter was the strenght of that car. But I have tosay that the BMW handled very well, no different than any fronties out there.

The last remaining test of my love affair with RWD will be whenever the first real snow storm will hit.

I have the Dunlops M3 on 17.225.45 all around. I love the Dunlops and as pointed out they do not come in 215 size, even though that size would have been perfect. Iprefer the Dunlop to the Blizzak because it is a better all round tire for winter - the Blizzak is great during one season for snow and ice traction, but it wears very fast especially in the dry, and then the next season is no better than any other tire out there.

Stew, you will find that with your car you almost have to will it to get its DSC to activate, the AWD is that good Especially with winters on.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2005, 10:31 AM   #172
sebby
Registered
Rep
Drives: 325i

blizzacs and M3s

Hi,

I’m from Montreal as well and I just found this thread. Your November 20th meeting looked like fun. Hope you do it again.

Same experience here with the snow yesterday. I had my appointment for the installation of winter tires but hardly made my way to the dealer with my stock sport package tires (Potenzas). DTC always engaging, car hardly moving!

After long hour of reading I finally got the Blizzacs on 16’s steel wheels… I guess that will spare my 161 type 17’s mags as I intend to keep this baby for a long time. What a difference when I got out of the garage! (I also had 4 RFT tires and rim in the back of the car, that probably helped!)

Any idea why Bridgestone’s tires are so highly priced in Canada (the Blizzacs are almost the same price as Dunlop M3’s in the US).

Cheers !

Seb
e90, 325i, Arctic, Sport Package

Last edited by sebby; 11-25-2005 at 11:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2005, 04:32 PM   #173
benoitch
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Welcome! If we ever do another meeting you are more than welcome.

Prices depend on imports. For example, Continental tires cost a fortune in Canada whereas they are quite affordable elsewhere. Blizzak's are not the most selling tires in Canada (high performance tires are not as sold as in the states). You will see that these tires are great in the snow and on ice. They retain their high perfomance legacy. But unfortunately, as mentioned many times already, they wear too fast. Unlike what Bimmerista said, they even perform worst than most other brand.

Did you put covers on your steel rims ? How does the car look with'em ? BTW, you could get decent mags for winters as well for relatively cheap. But still would cost more than steel rims. The unsprung weight of the steel rim will definitely give you an advantage over mags.

http://www.benoitchampagne.com
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2005, 11:04 PM   #174
ssam
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Welcome Sebby !!

Thx for your comments...I m convinced that it s just a matter of tires....

summer tires are the worst...

I was so scared yesterday that I didn t take my car today......I took my mother`s car

can t wait to put those Dunlop tires.......(next week)
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2005, 02:25 PM   #175
Wolf359
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Winters are the way to go, as the other tires are not even all-season but really summer tires, so it's sure that in winter conditions the DSC never gets a break with these.

A co-worker who almost crashed close to the 36 cars pile-up this week told me that a frien of his was in the middle of that mess, with his BMW. The car lost its front bumper and both front wheels! Luckily he doesn't have a scratch...
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2005, 07:39 PM   #176
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep

I've had my Non RFT Dunlop M3's since Thursday night, and out here in the country there is snow all over the roads. I've put about 300kms on them already, and it's like a Magic Carpet Ride. These tires are elegant. And with my AWD it's like I'm driving one of those snow-cats on the ski hill! I can hardly get the rear to break out, and believe me I'm trying!!

I stil have to get get the winters on the X5, but that'll happen by Monday night I hope.

Welcome Sebby, how did you find this board? And yes, we most certainly get together...findtom owes us all an extravagant Eggspectations breakfast (just kidding Tom), and it is surprising how genial this E90 crowd is. Somehow, amidst all the diversity, BMW has done its marketing homework and we all have something in common besides just a car!

Last edited by StewtheBassman; 11-27-2005 at 06:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread