E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > How do you tip?

04-15-2016, 05:53 PM   #155
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
exactly so they should be EARNING that tip correct? i'm very opinionated when it comes to tipping because for average service i give 10%. when you literally don't have to do anything but bring me my food then why should i give you more? people who leave a bare minimum 15% are tossing dollars. earn it and i'll give you 15%. go above and beyond or even crack one joke with a nice smile and i'll leave 20% because you made my night. worth more, but then again money doesn't grow on trees. just my two cents.
I never said otherwise...
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 05:57 PM   #156
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
I never said otherwise...
i know i was just trying to point out how important the bold part of your comment is to this topic.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 08:25 PM   #157
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krockit1 View Post
Reading this back, I was admittedly heavy handed on the descriptions, my bad. Should have left out the hard line opinion from the reportage...

It's okay. I took your advice and opened a great bottle of red wine and....
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 08:52 AM   #158
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
I took your advice and opened a great bottle of red wine and....
Dude. You need to start a thread in OT with that title.
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2016, 06:51 PM   #159
Springs1
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeuwunder View Post
They do not control how a meal is cooked or how long it takes, they are not cooking it.
Actually they sure do, here's why:

Ask yourself these questions as a server:

1. WHEN do you put in my order? Do you wait or do you go put it in immediately after taking it? If you are double sat or triple sat, you can still go put in each order into the computer after taking each table’s order. By not doing that can result in a much longer wait and that would be YOUR FAULT.

2. FORGETTING to put in an order. My husband and I have experienced this for REAL that servers ADMITTED to our faces they have FORGOTTEN TO PUT ORDERS IN. All of them were appetizers, bar drinks, and a cup of soup.

3. Did you put in the order CORRECTLY into the computer? Have had many times servers ADMITTED to our faces they did not do that correctly. Have had wrong entrées before due to our server putting in the order wrong. Have had wrong bar drinks too due to the server putting in the order wrong.

4. Did you FORGET ANYTHING I ORDERED such as a SIDE DISH? We have had this happen a number of times as well.

5. Did you DROP anything I ordered? Luckily, we have not had this happen, but I have seen a server once drop some fries from a plate before and I did have a waiter spill some margarita martini when pouring into a martini glass. In other words, it is possible, not likely, but very possible.

6. Did you remember to GET my food? We have had a server do that before. Also, we have had a number of servers forget bar drinks.

7. Did you bring out my food obviously correctly if you bring my food out? Do you realize how many times OUR OWN SERVER brings out DUH mistakes like the side dish is wrong, the entrée is wrong, something obvious is not correct bacon that isn’t covered up isn’t extra, extra crispy when you can clearly notice that it isn’t without touching anything, etc.? Every DUH mistake you bring out is YOUR FAULT I am waiting for what I did order by you wasting my time bringing me the wrong item or wrongly prepared item or forgot something. While we all make mistakes, I would have to say a good 90% of the time, servers NEVER COMPARE THE WRITTEN ORDERS TO THE FOOD, because they are TOO LAZY and DON’T CARE!!

8. Servers DO wait to put in entrée orders when appetizers, side salads, or cups of soup are ordered. THAT *IS* THE GOD’S TRUTH! Sometimes it’s TOO LONG THEY WAIT! If it’s another server, it still doesn’t make it the kitchen staff’s fault I have the wrong side dish for example since that is something that’s obvious. It’s either my server that didn’t put in my order correctly or this other server that didn’t compare the ticket to the food or that this other server did compare the ticket to the food, but just missed it(HIGHLY UNLIKELY, but possible).

9. WHEN do you come to GET MY ORDER? That part is covered in #2 below.

10. WHEN do you DECIDE to LET ME ORDER? That part is covered in #4 below.

11. WHEN do you decide to DELIVER MY FOOD? That part is covered in #1 below.

12. Do you, because they are out of something, decide to assume everyone wants the closest thing so you do the ordering for me? That part is covered in #3 below.

13. WHEN do you decide to check up on WHERE the food is? If the kitchen staff somehow lost the ticket, did you wait 30 minutes and then decide to find out that or did you check after 10-15 minutes to see that our food was getting started on?

1. Once, we had a Red Lobster waitress had our 2 entrées on the tray as well as 2 side salads that were for a couple that wasn’t even there when we ordered. Anyway, instead of bypassing their table to hand us ours first since WE DID ORDER FIRST(common sense would tell you that it takes more time to cook food than it does to fix a side salad anyways even if it wasn’t our server that delivered our food, but it was our waitress that delivered our food), she decided to hand them theirs first off the tray. THAT IS SOMETHING THAT IS IN THE SERVER’S CONTROL TO HAND OUT THINGS OFF THE SAME TRAY IN THE ORDER IN WHICH IT WAS ORDERED IN!!

2. Once, we had a waitress that greeted us which we ordered an appetizer as well as our drinks when greeted. I saw she tucking in chairs at empty tables and pretty much doing everything but coming back to get our entrée order. Well, I found out what happened. She brought out our appetizer and when I asked she said that she wanted to wait to put in our entrée orders. The thing is, that delayed us more by not at least coming to GET our orders. That way, when the appetizer was ready, we wouldn’t have gotten delayed eating our appetizer since we then had to give our entrée orders when we could have given our entrée orders WELL BEFORE THAT and we would have gotten our entrées faster due to that she could have just left to put our entrée orders into the computer after delivering our appetizer instead of taking time to order when our appetizer was sitting in front of us. The point is, SHE delayed our entrées as well as to be able to start eating our appetizer because she could have at least TAKEN our entrée orders and then when our appetizer would have been brought out, could have immediately gone to the computer to put our entrée orders in. What she did was make us wait while our hot appetizer was sitting in front of us, we couldn’t touch it, because we had to order our entrées and could have done that wayyy before that. She also delayed our entrées because we had to spend extra time AFTER our appetizer arrived to give her our entrée orders when we could have done that wayyyy before that.

3. Once, we had a waitress that assumed that because they were out of raspberry topping for a cheesecake slice when we had ordered dessert that she’d bring us strawberry. Turns out, she knew when she put in the order that the computer had it the manager told us. So she did it on PURPOSE to be so lazy and uncaring as to not come to ask if we wanted the next closest thing. We didn’t, we sent it back, so she had MORE WORK. Also, she didn’t even think about what if someone is allergic to strawberries. I just honestly can’t believe someone would do that. If they are out of something, common sense would be to come to see if the next closest thing is ok. Not everyone wants the next closest thing. So it wasn’t like it was just getting the order wrong by accident or by not verifying the written order with what she was bringing or putting in the order wrong by accident, this was on PURPOSE to be LAZY and to ASSUME. I didn’t know at first that she did that. I thought at first she just was that stupid(or truly just messed up(highly doubt it)) to bring us strawberries on top of a cheesecake when we ordered raspberries.

4. Your server delays coming to get your order or delays you ordering due to personal conversation. We have had that before as well. Once, we had a waiter that we didn’t know after waiting 15 mins. for a table on Mardi Gras day ask us BEFORE we ORDERED ANYTHING “How’s y’all’s Mardi Gras” “Go to any parades.” See, I don’t mind chit chat with a stranger, but be considerate to do it AFTER we have our orders into the computer so you don’t take up our time.

We have also had servers not come to get our order due to playing around. Sometimes taking a long time or a longer time has A LOT to do with the server: My husband and I have had 3 TIMES where servers FORGOT to put food orders into the computer. We also have 8 times servers forget to get bar drinks from the bar. Once a waitress forgot to put in a bar drink into the computer. Two of the 3 times it was an appetizer and the servers ADMITTED doing so. The third time was a cup of bisque which is normally served before a meal just like a side salad is. My husband and I also have had delays due to that the servers delayed putting orders into the computer when they COULD have such as deciding to buss a table first or decide instead of a mini-greet(I’ll be right with you all), one waiter I saw decided to take a party of 6 people’s drink/appetizer orders instead of putting in our food orders into the computer. I can understand if they call you over, but if they don’t, you should be putting that order into the computer not delaying our food. The longer you wait to put in orders, the LONGER WE WAIT!! So truly think about that MOST of the time when you wait a LONG TIME for your food or bar drinks even, it could be the server’s fault. 9 times out of 10, your server had *SOMETHING* to do with the delay in most cases! That’s the GOD’S TRUTH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeuwunder View Post
Customers often think they are above the server
Sometimes the servers act like they are DINGY idiots. Do you realize HOW MANY *TIMES* I have proven servers and even managers wrong about the menus and how to serve? You wouldn't believe how many times I have had to show WHERE on the menu they had something either a price that was wrong on the check or such-n-such came with such-n-such, etc.

This is part of a letter that I wrote to corporate at a restaurant that had this item: “Classic Potato Skins Our classic potato skins are topped with melted Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses, bacon bits and green onions. Served with a side of sour cream. 6.99 Add Bbq chicken 1.50”

When I was about to place me and my husband's appetizer order, I had to ask her to write the order down. It should be mandatory to write down all orders, all! Nobody should have to ask their server to write down their order. I don’t care how good of a memory you have; we have had servers that we have had requested before at other restaurants when they didn’t write down even refill request, they forgot. It happens; we all forget and mess up sometimes, so it is always better to write it down to at least TRY to remember what was said. You don’t know how many modifications the customer is going to say, so be prepared with your pad and pen. What happened was I ordered the Classic Potato Skins $6.99 Add Bbq chicken for $1.50 additional costs. I ordered just like this “I would like the classic potato skins adding bbq chicken to it which I would like cheddar and cheddar(No Monterrey Jack Cheese) Cheddar instead of Monterrey Jack Cheese.” “I don’t want the green onions and I DO want the bacon bits.” “I’d like to add a side of ranch and a side of bbq sauce. “ When she was taking down my order, she said “So no chives” which I replied “correct. I don’t understand why servers put their own spin on what you said? She didn’t even LISTEN to what I said, which at the time, I thought she did. I even said I wanted the bacon even as I just mentioned, that’s how much she was just not paying attention that I even repeated the menu description to her about the bacon part which I didn’t have to and still she got it wrong. She brings out the potato skins without the bbq sauce on top that I did order(in the description on the menu when I said I wanted to ADD bbq chicken), hence the word “BBQ” and didn’t say I didn’t want the bbq sauce on the potato skins in any way, shape, or form nor did I say without the bacon bits the menu states it comes with. She comes back to tell me that the when I added bbq chicken, it doesn’t come with bacon. So I tell her “Yes it does on the menu.” She even asked after I said that “Does it come with bacon even?” I couldn’t believe a server asked that. I don’t work here, but I know more than you about the food on the menu, something is wrong with that. No server should admit not knowing the menu in front of the customer. That appears bad and makes the server appear lazy that she didn’t take any effort into comparing the menu to what she was ringing up and bringing out(you can see bacon) on the parts that don’t have bbq sauce on it and since she originally brought out the potato skins without bbq sauce on them, she could have easily noticed that there was no bacon bits which I didn’t notice it at first the bacon bits were missing, because I had seen the plate for 2 seconds and I am not supposed to have to make sure my server is giving me what I ordered, that’s their job, not mine. A customer shouldn’t have to show and prove to a server that something comes with something on the menu that’s in print already. I actually had to pull out a menu to show and PROVE to her on the menu that it indeed DOES come with it. After, she came back with the mistake not fixed and said she “read it”, but that it doesn’t come with bacon. She refused to fix it when I proved to her it does. That’s not *EVER* acceptable since she wants our money to intentionally know you are stealing from the customer by intentionally overcharging them. That’s not OK, that’s THEFT!

Anyway, this REALLY did happen to us, it was HORRIBLE. Do you see how adding bbq chicken doesn't erase the bacon that we are ALREADY PAYING for in the $6.99? What happened is that the managers were dumb as rocks as well, because a long time before they used to have the bbq chicken potato skins as a separate item(like the regular classic potato skins were one item and the bbq chicken potato skins were an item, but they combined them by listing one item and adding bbq chicken for an additional cost, which these newer menus(they weren't that new, because we ordered this item at least twice before and didn't have this issue).

Well, anyway, this is why I am saying that customers feel they can be justified in feeling they are ABOVE DINGY LAZY, UNCARING, IDIOTS like this that are serving you food, but don't know WTH they are serving you. They aren't comparing the written order *AND* the menu with the food. I clearly NEVER once stated I didn't want the bacon bits, nor did she say I said that. I even said to make sure she knew I wanted the bacon bits. Also, I NEVER said I didn't want bbq sauce on them. I said I wanted to *ADD* a SIDE of bbq sauce. ADDING is ADDITIONAL, not changing that part of the description on the menu.

So when you say "give them no respect", it's actually they OTHER WAY AROUND that the *SERVERS* are giving their customers no respect. We gave respect. She wasn't even going to write the order down, which it would have come out even more messed up, because I ordered a modified entrée as well. She disrespected us since the PRINTED WORDS PROVED her wrong and she ARGUED with PRINTED PROOF.

Now I will agree as far as mean and rude customers go if they are just rude because they are mean people, but I truly believe most customers(most customers I served at a donut shop/diner many years ago), most customers I served weren't rude and mean. It was around 5% of people that were jerks and 95% normal people. There were some people that would have an entire table service like a server(I was counter help back in 1998-2002 off and on a little over 2yrs worth I worked there) would give them with good service(nothing went wrong) and wouldn't tip, but wouldn't be rude though, they just were cheap.

So I agree if with the 5% of customers that are rude out there, but in most cases most people aren't rude and I would say a good amount like 40% of servers are jerks such as not apologizing for mistakes or not even trying in the first place to give you good service. A lot of them treat us with no respect.

You act like servers are always nice, that's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FAR FROM THE TRUTH, you just have NO IDEA! A lot of servers are a$$holes. They aren't nice. You don't sound like you eat out much.

Quote:
I will always tip 20% regardless of service.
Then you won't get any **IMPROVEMENTS*** on the service if you pay them well NO MATTER WHAT. A good example, let's say they put in your order wrong. The next time you come in, you have that same server, they end up serving you the wrong food. HOW does that improve your life at the restaurant if you have to go through BAD SERVICE OVER AND OVER AGAIN?

Did you ever take Psychology 101?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinforcement\

"Negative reinforcement is an increase in the future frequency of a behavior when the consequence is the removal of an aversive stimulus"

Removal of some of the tip is punishment, therefore the server TRIES HARDER next time around not to do that sort of thing again.

"Positive reinforcement is an increase in the future frequency of a behavior due to the addition of a stimulus immediately following a response."

The server sees they got a wonderful tip 20% plus tip for not messing up, thus continues to try their VERY BEST.

Once my husband and I had a waitress at Chili's, I ordered the chicken ranch sandwich which came with lettuce, tomato, and wing sauce. I told the server NO tomato, 2 sides of mayonnaise, 1 side of ranch, and 1 side of mustard. The food runner brings it out with NONE of the condiments, the chicken you can see WITHOUT lifting it that there is NO RED SAUCE on the chicken, which is suppose to be COVERED with the sauce. There was a little mayonnaise and mustard on the sandwich which WASN'T suppose to be on there. There was no lettuce, but that would have been hard to see, so I didn't count that off. Anyway, I told the food runner, NO APOLOGY, and the server came with the condiments(NO APOLOGY), and I told her what was all wrong with my sandwich as well as the fries which I ordered them "LIGHTLY cooked" and they were brown. Anyway, I sent it back(which is rare for me to do this, but the WHOLE sandwich was wrong. The waitress could have brought out the condiments ahead of time to have avoid all of those errors at the very least. Well, anyway, I had to send my sandwich back twice, because according to the manager, he said the cooks didn't understand her handwriting. So it was HER FAULT ENTIRELY for my sandwich wrong. We stiffed her. So next time we came, got her again, gave her 23% tip because she was pretty awesome. Do you see how making a tip as a INCENTIVE will make you happier in your life at the restaurant instead of a living hell? If she would have written it neater(printed assuming she wrote it like scribble scratch or cursive), she wouldn't have caused the cooks to mess up again and again making it wrong since they only had her written order to go by.

My point being, if you tip 20% no matter what, HOW do you expect anyone to have ANY REAL REASON to try ANY HARDER? WHY WOULD THEY? They know they won't get any more from you, but they will get a guaranteed amount, but won't more than they know they will be getting since they know you are going to give it no matter what.

It's like most people if you give them an option go sweep the leaves outside for $20 for an hour or watch tv for an hour for $20, which one would most people pick? The one where they didn't have to much of anything.

You aren't helping yourself nor others improve service. We are though, weeding out the bad servers by either getting them reprimanded or fired. I have helped others not get servers that were rude to us improving their lives as well as ours. You don't care about anyone else's lives but yourself. You act like you are caring, but you aren't the way you tip. A tip is supposed to be a way to IMPROVE like a RAISE or PROMOTION that if you do better, you get more and if you keep messing up, you could get a pay cut or demotion. That's how every other job that isn't a tipped position works, WHY should a tipped position be treated ANY DIFFERENTLY? It shouldn't. The server knows they will get 20% from you, so they don't even count that, so when they serve you, they know they can get lots of stuff wrong and take forever for their stuff by making your table last even if you were first by taking advantage of your kindness, so you aren't helping your service.

Quote:
Everyone has bad days.
So that's an excuse to make the customer's day or night bad? Customers have bad days too, but that's no excuse to yell or be rude at a server, it's a TWO-WAY STREET when it comes to that.

Quote:
Does your pay get cut just because you had a bad day? Probably not.
It might if I keep doing poorly by demoting my position. Also, I can't get that raise that others are getting. So your logic is VERY FLAWED by a LONG SHOT!

Quote:
Next time dining out instead of thinking how the server can make your experience great think of how you might be able to make the servers day better. You may be surprised on how your experience may change.
Sorry, but WHY do you look at tipping as a CHARITY or "FEEL SORRY FOR ME" BS? How about them making the customer's day better instead of treating us like shit as A LOT of them do with no apologies, not caring about when we have been overcharged(just today a waitress rung up our check on the wrong table about $33 overcharge).

You act like servers are GOD or QUEENS OR KINGS as they are "ABOVE" customer's feelings. We are all *EQUALS* in this universe. A server is no better than a customer is.

My motto is if they ***CARE ABOUT US, WE CARE ABOUT THEM***, giving them 25%-30% and above at times in tips if they have given us wonderful service.

Tipping is about caring about the customer. If they don't care about us, we won't care about them. It's that simple. Now it depends on the service and the severity of the mistakes as to what kind of a tip they get. Our tips are anywhere from $0-over 30%(usually 25%-28% for really wonderful service). 30% + is usually either a really low bill amount or flawless, perfect service.

Why do you feel sorry for servers when a lot of them aren't caring? We have had many of them that they have been out of something and they just serve you stuff without telling you they were out like the cheesecake story above or not letting you know before your entire table(if you are in a large party especially is ready to order and you aren't now because your server was so INCONSIDERATE that they didn't tell you they were out of that when they greeted you as they should have.

Most servers are UNCARING, LAZY a$$holes. This waitress today, she didn't even at first say she was sorry. Only after. I would **IMMEDIATELY**** have PROFUSELY apologized for such a large overcharge or any, but especially something $20 or over. She didn't even CARE about WTH she was ringing our credit card amount. She was selfish and lazy. While I don't think she was intentionally stealing to set out to steal, but she was intentionally being TOO LAZY to verify the amounts she was charging us. It wasn't busy either. If you don't care about me, I don't care about you. No comp even, I would have PAID MYSELF if I were a server for at least a soft drink or would have asked the manager to comp something, but NO, the waitress was a selfish, lazy, worker. She didn't care about our money, WTH SHOULD WE CARE ABOUT HERS??? 2-way street when it comes to money. Our money is 100% EQUALLY JUST AS IMPORTANT as theirs is.

I hate people like you that feel that tipping is a charity as if we have to feel sorry for lazy, uncaring workers. When you treat the customer's money with respect, we treat the server's money with respect. That's only *FAIR* and *MORALLY RIGHT* to treat others as you are treated.

WHY do you think people go to jail or get detentions or suspensions in school? So they can ***************LEARN***************************** to IMPROVE, DUHHH! That's why tipping is at the end and not automatically given in most cases. Why do you think we tip at the end? If we tipped beforehand, it wouldn't make any sense? I did that ONCE and ONLY ONCE, my 5 cheese sauces I PAID 75 cents a piece for were missing in my Papa John's delivery order once and I REGRETTED tipping someone ahead of time like that. Did that give that driver an INCENTIVE to CHECK the box to see if he had ALL the components in the box? NOOOOOO it didn't.

Positive and negative reinforcement is how tipping was DESIGNED. What you are doing is paying a fee on a bill the way you are tipping and that's not helping ANYONE, YOU NOR ANYONE ELSE that server is serving. You are CREATING AND HELPING you as well as others get bad service.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 06:53 PM   #160
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Tmi shut it.
Appreciate 2
      04-17-2016, 07:05 PM   #161
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD
Tmi shut it.
I second that.....and TLDR
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2016, 07:06 PM   #162
Springs1
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
Thing is, is that as a customer when something is not right with the plate you may not know who dropped the ball. Could be the cooks didn't cook it right or put the right items on it. Could be the server did not send the ticket to the kitchen right. And, I see this often, it could be you the customer ordering the wrong temp/items or not understanding what a MR steak is or not understanding or have read what items are on the menu. I see this all the time.
If you forgot to tell the server to put sauce on the side, but thought you said it and you plate comes with sauce on it, don't blame the staff. I see this all the time and half the clientele I deal with are in the millionaire category.
I know when I forget to ask for something. Usually it's also 90% of the time OBVIOUS *WHO* messed up. Like I had ordered seasoned fries at Denny's that were a little extra money instead of onion rings that my entrée came with, then our waitress brings me a plate of onion rings. She isn't blind. If the onion rings made it to my table, even if it's from another server(when the original server put in the order correctly), it's impossible for that to be a kitchen staff error, because everyone knows what onion rings look like vs. fries. The original server if they serve it has their written order(assuming they weren't too lazy to write it and if so, they have the ticket) and if another server ran the food, it's the other server at fault if the order was put in correctly. The only ways it is the kitchen staff's fault is if someone in the kitchen staff brings out the onion rings when the order was put in correctly by the server, which usually the kitchen staff members that make the food don't run the food in most cases and if the servers don't bring out the onion rings(so the wrong item doesn't make it to the table) would it be the kitchen staff's fault).

With steaks, usually the cooks are at fault in most cases, *BUT*, the server has to put in the order temperature correctly. If they do that wrong, then the server is at fault entirely. If also, if the food comes out very quickly and you know they ordered it well done, I would doubt that it's correct to serve it. A good server writes down when they put in EVERY table's orders. They should keep track how long they are waiting in case of an issue such as a lost ticket or ignored order, and as I said, would know not to serve the steak. Another thing, if it looks burnt, but I ordered the steak medium rare, you are an IDIOT if you bring me that steak.

So please stop acting like it's hard to determine. I would say around 5-7% of the time some issue you won't know unless the server admits putting in the order wrong to you or you see it rung up wrong on the check. Usually it's very easy to determine who is at fault for food issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 07:09 PM   #163
Springs1
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
As bimmette said, many issues are not the fault of the server
WRONG, here's why:

90% of the time it's the SERVER'S FAULT:

1. They can put in the order wrong into the computer or if it's a written ticket they submit, they could have written something down wrong or hard to read.

2. They could have forgotten to put in the order in the first place.

3. Servers can also misunderstand what the customer is saying such as 2 times when I ordered 2 sides of bbq sauce and the stupid idiot servers thought I didn’t want bbq sauce on my ribs when I NEVER ONCE SAID I didn’t and I didn’t say “ON THE SIDE”, I SAID SIDES, which means extra. One of those times I said extra even.

4. Most mistakes with food are visible:

A. Condiments of any kind regardless of who brings out the food can be brought out by the server ahead of time.

B. If someone orders extra crispy bacon with their pancakes, then the bacon looks limp, not stiff, and you can even see some white fat on it, guess what? MY SERVER COULD HAVE SEEN THAT TOO AND TOLD THE COOKS IT WASN'T CORRECT, TO RECOOK IT INSTEAD OF BRINGING IT TO ME WRONG IN THE FIRST PLACE!

C. Any wrong side dishes or entrees are the fault of the server if they bring out the food even if they put in the order right. You can tell the difference between a baked potato and mac n' cheese, yet, a waiter at Logan's Roadhouse was so stupid as to bring me mac n' cheese when I ordered a baked potato. I noticed it within 5 seconds of the food hitting my table. Like DUH a baked potato looks completely different from mac n' cheese.

D. Any MISSING side dishes, appetizers, condiments, or entrees ARE the server's fault if they bring out the food as well. Have had that happen a few times or so. Our servers aren't blind, so they can tell if something is missing or not.

E. I have seen a red steak delivered to someone before at Outback which means let's say the customer ordered their steak well done, that the server could have noticed the color difference as in someone's example “Steak cooked rare instead of well done ? It’s not your server’s fault, they didn’t cook it, it’s the kitchen’s fault.”

F. If something LOOKS burnt such as a piece of bread with the food and the person didn't order it burnt, my server is at fault for serving me that.

G. If my server forgets an item that an entree or appetizer comes with, that's their fault if they brought me my food without the item such as a side dish or ranch.

H. I have ordered at Outback my fries "lightly cooked" "Not overdone and yellow not brown." I have had their fries before cooked the way I like them before many of times before this time I am talking about. This stupid waitress decided to blame the kitchen staff for REALLY DARK BROWN FRIES as if she was blind or something and my husband even told me he could see that they were really dark. My husband may not agree with me on every subject of course, but with that, you could EASILY tell just by LOOKING that those fries were overdone and very dark. She said she put in the order correctly. I am thinking, SO? I wish I could have said "Are you blind?" That was HER FAULT she DECIDED TO SERVE ME THOSE FRIES THAT WEREN'T CORRECT. I noticed the mistake within 3 seconds of my food being placed in front of me.

You can tell in this picture above the bacon is very crispy just by simply LOOKING at it.

You can tell in this picture above the bacon is NOT CRISPY, just by simple LOOKING at the bacon.

While the server didn't "COOK" the bacon, it's obvious to the *SERVER'S* EYES that one batch of bacon is crispy and the other isn't to decide to BRING the food to the customer wrong or not. It's my server's fault if they decide to bring me the bacon that's like in picture 2 if I ordered it crispy that she or he didn't tell the cooks it was wrong and get them to cook the bacon more instead of SERVING it wrong. WHY bring it out only for the food to be sent back?

You can clearly see the fries are overdone in the picture above if the customer ordered them "NOT OVERDONE, lightly cooked."

In this picture above, you can see the fries don't appear overdone and the bacon is NOT CRISPY. If a customer asked for their bacon to be crispy, I would REFUSE to serve it and I would have enough CARING and COMMON SENSE to get that fixed **BEFORE** I brought it to the customer only to have the customer send it back or leave me a bad tip for not caring about their food.

My server's job isn't just to bring out what the kitchen staff gives them, it's also getting the order OBVIOUSLY correct to the table as much as possible in order to get that good tip. As someone said on a blog or forum “They just want to be tipped well and will do pretty much anything reasonable to get your money”, which that IS VERY REASONABLE to think OUR SERVERS ACTUALLY CARE ABOUT THEIR TIP TO GET THINGS RIGHT TO HAVE A BETTER TIP!!

Get what I am saying here? MOST of the mistakes happen due to either your server if they bring out the food or another server that doesn't compare the ticket to the food(assuming the order was put in correctly by the original server of course).

You also can notice if someone has wing sauce "On the side" vs. "On the wings" themselves. This isn't rocket science.

Most of the things that are wrong with the food can be caught by the server if they bring out the food, even if they didn't cook it. If it's another server, they can catch obvious errors on the ticket and menu(such as menu states the item comes with bbq sauce and the ticket doesn't say "no bbq sauce") if the ticket was correctly put in by the original server that took the order. Condiments(in bottles or on the side in containers) can always be offered to be brought out ahead of time REGARDLESS of WHO brings out the food to the table.

So most of the time when the food has something wrong with it, chances are, your server or another server could have caught the mistake before it got to you in most instances. I NEVER said ALL, but in most cases, it can be caught BEFORE bringing out the food(unless another server brings out the food with the ticket wrong), because then the original server that took the order is at fault for putting the order in incorrectly into the computer.

There are few rare cases where the food being wrong is the kitchen staff's fault such as raw food(such as raw chicken), slightly undercooked or overcooked food that you'd have to CUT into to know if it was under or overcooked, or anything the server cannot see with their eyes unless they were to TOUCH the food. Things such as a pickle under a bun the server can't notice unless they lift the bun, so unless they put the order in wrong, they wouldn't be at fault, but in general most food mistakes can be caught BEFORE bringing the food to the table.

What I am saying is, MOST mistakes ARE PREVENTABLE by the SERVER if they bring your order to you that they can NOTICE things wrong by comparing those written orders to the plates of food.

Once a waiter at Chili's said "The kitchen forgot" when I had ordered 2 sides of mayo and 1 side of mustard. The thing is, my waiter brought out the food, so NO, HE HE HE HE HE FORGOT, the kitchen staff didn't step out the kitchen to bring me my food and forget obvious missing containers from my plate that aren't covered up by anything. MY WAITER DID THOUGH!!

You walk in one room in your house with a plate of food, but forget the ranch. Even if your mom or significant other plated your food, which you even told her you wanted a side of ranch for your fries, but you bring it to another room. HOW IS THAT THEIR FAULT? It's YOUR FAULT YOU LEFT THE ROOM WITHOUT THE RANCH AND DIDN'T NOTICE IT SINCE IT'S SOMETHING OBVIOUS YOU DON'T HAVE TO *TOUCH* TO NOTICE THE MISTAKE!!

Even if he didn't bring out the food, that waiter could have prevented that type of thing from being forgotten since it needs no cooking to bring it out ahead of time. It is always the person bringing out the food that is at fault for any type of mistake that you don't have to TOUCH the food to notice the mistake, unless of course, the order was put in wrong by the original server that took the order with another server bringing out the food. Of course unless, the kitchen goofs up, making it correctly even if the ticket is wrong, but that's highly unlikely scenario.

I cannot believe you honestly think that the server is not at fault for most food mistakes. WE LIVED THROUGH THE "DUH" MISTAKES, SO WE CAN SEE WITH OUR EYES WHO WAS AT FAULT!!

We had a waiter once admitted he grabbed the wrong entrée from the kitchen. It was just my husband and I. This waiter not only admitted he didn't compare the WRITTEN ORDER with the entrées he was bringing out, but also we saw he had other entrées for another table that he didn't ONCE get his pad of paper out to see WHICH ENTRÉE WENT WITH WHICH TABLE!! So 2 times he could have caught his mistake, but didn't *****TRY HIS BEST AS HE SHOULD HAVE, because that's HIS JOB**!!

He admitted that he grabbed the wrong entrée from the kitchen. He brought my husband fried shrimp w/fries when he ordered crawfish au gratin w/baked potato. Those items look NOTHING A LIKE, but yet THAT WAITER WAS TOO LAZY AND UNCARING TO VERIFY *WHAT* HE WAS BRINGING US!! We still left him 17% BTW, just to let you know since he profusely apologized TWICE and FIXED THE SITUATION IMMEDIATELY just about. We honestly shouldn’t have though, because that really didn't make him LEARN anything. If I had to do it all over again, I would have tipped 13%. It's because since that happened(a number of years ago, maybe like 4), me and my husband have had some terrible experiences. We have had good ones too of course, but the servers need to LEARN that they can't just hand you ANYTHING like McDonald's cashiers do. They are there to EARN a tip, NOT to just hand you anything.

It's very rare that it's not the server's fault. Things like if I order no pickles if you took my order and brought out my food, which there are some pickles under a bun that you'd have to lift it to see it, unless you admitted putting in the order wrong, I will assume it's the kitchen staff that is at fault and probably is.

Things like raw chicken tenders aren't the fault of the server.

A slightly over or undercooked steak if the order was put in correctly is not the server's fault.

Also, some people assume things as well, that end up being wrong.

If another server brings out a wrong side dish or if they are missing items other than condiments, no it's not the server's fault if they put in the order correctly, but it still counts against the tip. It's part of the service.

Why also is it when you say "no pickles" or "ONLY lettuce and onions", they still have a pickle on the plate? WHY you servers can't understand that if the customer states they don't want pickles, that means on the plate, because otherwise, they'd specifically state they would have wanted it "ON THE SIDE." Think about it. WHY do I keep having servers bring me some pickles on the plate when I ordered no pickles? NO SERVERS ARE BLIND OR ILLITERATE that they cannot determine any of the obvious errors that don't have to be touched to notice the mistakes or mistake.

You are SOOOO WRONG! You don't have much of ANY COMMON SENSE, do you?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 07:11 PM   #164
Springs1
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
I said they are not responsible for over/under-cooking.

They are if they put in the order wrong or serve an obvious to the eyes errors wrong.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 07:14 PM   #165
Springs1
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
I don't penalize the waiter for these delays..
You should, here's why:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but here's why you are wrong:

1. WHEN do you put in my order? Do you wait or do you go put it in immediately after taking it? If you are double sat or triple sat, you can still go put in each order into the computer after taking each table’s order. By not doing that can result in a much longer wait and that would be YOUR FAULT.

2. FORGETTING to put in an order. My husband and I have experienced this for REAL that servers ADMITTED to our faces they have FORGOTTEN TO PUT ORDERS IN. All of them were appetizers, bar drinks, and a cup of soup.

3. Did you put in the order CORRECTLY into the computer? Have had many times servers ADMITTED to our faces they did not do that correctly. Have had wrong entrées before due to our server putting in the order wrong. Have had wrong bar drinks too due to the server putting in the order wrong.

4. Did you FORGET ANYTHING I ORDERED such as a SIDE DISH? We have had this happen a number of times as well.

5. Did you DROP anything I ordered? Luckily, we have not had this happen, but I have seen a server once drop some fries from a plate before and I did have a waiter spill some margarita martini when pouring into a martini glass. In other words, it is possible, not likely, but very possible.

6. Did you remember to GET my food? We have had a server do that before. Also, we have had a number of servers forget bar drinks.

7. Did you bring out my food obviously correctly if you bring my food out? Do you realize how many times OUR OWN SERVER brings out DUH mistakes like the side dish is wrong, the entrée is wrong, something obvious is not correct bacon that isn’t covered up isn’t extra, extra crispy when you can clearly notice that it isn’t without touching anything, etc.? Every DUH mistake you bring out is YOUR FAULT I am waiting for what I did order by you wasting my time bringing me the wrong item or wrongly prepared item or forgot something. While we all make mistakes, I would have to say a good 90% of the time, servers NEVER COMPARE THE WRITTEN ORDERS TO THE FOOD, because they are TOO LAZY and DON’T CARE!!

8. Servers DO wait to put in entrée orders when appetizers, side salads, or cups of soup are ordered. THAT *IS* THE GOD’S TRUTH! Sometimes it’s TOO LONG THEY WAIT! If it’s another server, it still doesn’t make it the kitchen staff’s fault I have the wrong side dish for example since that is something that’s obvious. It’s either my server that didn’t put in my order correctly or this other server that didn’t compare the ticket to the food or that this other server did compare the ticket to the food, but just missed it(HIGHLY UNLIKELY, but possible).

12. Do you, because they are out of something, decide to assume everyone wants the closest thing so you do the ordering for me? That part is covered in #3 below.

13. WHEN do you decide to check up on WHERE the food is? If the kitchen staff somehow lost the ticket, did you wait 30 minutes and then decide to find out that or did you check after 10-15 minutes to see that our food was getting started on?

1. Once, we had a Red Lobster waitress had our 2 entrées on the tray as well as 2 side salads that were for a couple that wasn’t even there when we ordered. Anyway, instead of bypassing their table to hand us ours first since WE DID ORDER FIRST(common sense would tell you that it takes more time to cook food than it does to fix a side salad anyways even if it wasn’t our server that delivered our food, but it was our waitress that delivered our food), she decided to hand them theirs first off the tray. THAT IS SOMETHING THAT IS IN THE SERVER’S CONTROL TO HAND OUT THINGS OFF THE SAME TRAY IN THE ORDER IN WHICH IT WAS ORDERED IN!!

2. Once, we had a waitress that greeted us which we ordered an appetizer as well as our drinks when greeted. I saw she tucking in chairs at empty tables and pretty much doing everything but coming back to get our entrée order. Well, I found out what happened. She brought out our appetizer and when I asked she said that she wanted to wait to put in our entrée orders. The thing is, that delayed us more by not at least coming to GET our orders. That way, when the appetizer was ready, we wouldn’t have gotten delayed eating our appetizer since we then had to give our entrée orders when we could have given our entrée orders WELL BEFORE THAT and we would have gotten our entrées faster due to that she could have just left to put our entrée orders into the computer after delivering our appetizer instead of taking time to order when our appetizer was sitting in front of us. The point is, SHE delayed our entrées as well as to be able to start eating our appetizer because she could have at least TAKEN our entrée orders and then when our appetizer would have been brought out, could have immediately gone to the computer to put our entrée orders in. What she did was make us wait while our hot appetizer was sitting in front of us, we couldn’t touch it, because we had to order our entrées and could have done that wayyy before that. She also delayed our entrées because we had to spend extra time AFTER our appetizer arrived to give her our entrée orders when we could have done that wayyyy before that.

3. Once, we had a waitress that assumed that because they were out of raspberry topping for a cheesecake slice when we had ordered dessert that she’d bring us strawberry. Turns out, she knew when she put in the order that the computer had it the manager told us. So she did it on PURPOSE to be so lazy and uncaring as to not come to ask if we wanted the next closest thing. We didn’t, we sent it back, so she had MORE WORK. Also, she didn’t even think about what if someone is allergic to strawberries. I just honestly can’t believe someone would do that. If they are out of something, common sense would be to come to see if the next closest thing is ok. Not everyone wants the next closest thing. So it wasn’t like it was just getting the order wrong by accident or by not verifying the written order with what she was bringing or putting in the order wrong by accident, this was on PURPOSE to be LAZY and to ASSUME. I didn’t know at first that she did that. I thought at first she just was that stupid(or truly just messed up(highly doubt it)) to bring us strawberries on top of a cheesecake when we ordered raspberries.

4. Your server delays coming to get your order or delays you ordering due to personal conversation. We have had that before as well. Once, we had a waiter that we didn’t know after waiting 15 mins. for a table on Mardi Gras day ask us BEFORE we ORDERED ANYTHING “How’s y’all’s Mardi Gras” “Go to any parades.” See, I don’t mind chit chat with a stranger, but be considerate to do it AFTER we have our orders into the computer so you don’t take up our time.

We have also had servers not come to get our order due to playing around. Sometimes taking a long time or a longer time has A LOT to do with the server: My husband and I have had 3 TIMES where servers FORGOT to put food orders into the computer. We also have 8 times servers forget to get bar drinks from the bar. Once a waitress forgot to put in a bar drink into the computer. Two of the 3 times it was an appetizer and the servers ADMITTED doing so. The third time was a cup of bisque which is normally served before a meal just like a side salad is. My husband and I also have had delays due to that the servers delayed putting orders into the computer when they COULD have such as deciding to buss a table first or decide instead of a mini-greet(I’ll be right with you all), one waiter I saw decided to take a party of 6 people’s drink/appetizer orders instead of putting in our food orders into the computer. I can understand if they call you over, but if they don’t, you should be putting that order into the computer not delaying our food. The longer you wait to put in orders, the LONGER WE WAIT!! So truly think about that MOST of the time when you wait a LONG TIME for your food or bar drinks even, it could be the server’s fault. 9 times out of 10, your server had *SOMETHING* to do with the delay in most cases! That’s the GOD’S TRUTH!

You should start penalizing them in most cases. Watch your server and you will see WHY you are waiting 10 more minutes to get your food because your server went to 2 other large party tables before putting your order in or put in your order wrong or forgot something, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 07:16 PM   #166
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springs1 View Post

Sometimes the servers act like they are DINGY idiots. Do you realize HOW MANY *TIMES* I have proven servers and even managers wrong about the menus and how to serve? You wouldn't believe how many times I have had to show WHERE on the menu they had something either a price that was wrong on the check or such-n-such came with such-n-such, etc.

This is part of a letter that I wrote to corporate at a restaurant that had this item: “Classic Potato Skins Our classic potato skins are topped with melted Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses, bacon bits and green onions. Served with a side of sour cream. 6.99 Add Bbq chicken 1.50”

When I was about to place me and my husband's appetizer order, I had to ask her to write the order down. It should be mandatory to write down all orders, all! Nobody should have to ask their server to write down their order. I don’t care how good of a memory you have; we have had servers that we have had requested before at other restaurants when they didn’t write down even refill request, they forgot. It happens; we all forget and mess up sometimes, so it is always better to write it down to at least TRY to remember what was said. You don’t know how many modifications the customer is going to say, so be prepared with your pad and pen. What happened was I ordered the Classic Potato Skins $6.99 Add Bbq chicken for $1.50 additional costs. I ordered just like this “I would like the classic potato skins adding bbq chicken to it which I would like cheddar and cheddar(No Monterrey Jack Cheese) Cheddar instead of Monterrey Jack Cheese.” “I don’t want the green onions and I DO want the bacon bits.” “I’d like to add a side of ranch and a side of bbq sauce. “ When she was taking down my order, she said “So no chives” which I replied “correct. I don’t understand why servers put their own spin on what you said? She didn’t even LISTEN to what I said, which at the time, I thought she did. I even said I wanted the bacon even as I just mentioned, that’s how much she was just not paying attention that I even repeated the menu description to her about the bacon part which I didn’t have to and still she got it wrong. She brings out the potato skins without the bbq sauce on top that I did order(in the description on the menu when I said I wanted to ADD bbq chicken), hence the word “BBQ” and didn’t say I didn’t want the bbq sauce on the potato skins in any way, shape, or form nor did I say without the bacon bits the menu states it comes with. She comes back to tell me that the when I added bbq chicken, it doesn’t come with bacon. So I tell her “Yes it does on the menu.” She even asked after I said that “Does it come with bacon even?” I couldn’t believe a server asked that. I don’t work here, but I know more than you about the food on the menu, something is wrong with that. No server should admit not knowing the menu in front of the customer. That appears bad and makes the server appear lazy that she didn’t take any effort into comparing the menu to what she was ringing up and bringing out(you can see bacon) on the parts that don’t have bbq sauce on it and since she originally brought out the potato skins without bbq sauce on them, she could have easily noticed that there was no bacon bits which I didn’t notice it at first the bacon bits were missing, because I had seen the plate for 2 seconds and I am not supposed to have to make sure my server is giving me what I ordered, that’s their job, not mine. A customer shouldn’t have to show and prove to a server that something comes with something on the menu that’s in print already. I actually had to pull out a menu to show and PROVE to her on the menu that it indeed DOES come with it. After, she came back with the mistake not fixed and said she “read it”, but that it doesn’t come with bacon. She refused to fix it when I proved to her it does. That’s not *EVER* acceptable since she wants our money to intentionally know you are stealing from the customer by intentionally overcharging them. That’s not OK, that’s THEFT!

Anyway, this REALLY did happen to us, it was HORRIBLE. Do you see how adding bbq chicken doesn't erase the bacon that we are ALREADY PAYING for in the $6.99? What happened is that the managers were dumb as rocks as well, because a long time before they used to have the bbq chicken potato skins as a separate item(like the regular classic potato skins were one item and the bbq chicken potato skins were an item, but they combined them by listing one item and adding bbq chicken for an additional cost, which these newer menus(they weren't that new, because we ordered this item at least twice before and didn't have this issue).

Well, anyway, this is why I am saying that customers feel they can be justified in feeling they are ABOVE DINGY LAZY, UNCARING, IDIOTS like this that are serving you food, but don't know WTH they are serving you. They aren't comparing the written order *AND* the menu with the food. I clearly NEVER once stated I didn't want the bacon bits, nor did she say I said that. I even said to make sure she knew I wanted the bacon bits. Also, I NEVER said I didn't want bbq sauce on them. I said I wanted to *ADD* a SIDE of bbq sauce. ADDING is ADDITIONAL, not changing that part of the description on the menu.

So when you say "give them no respect", it's actually they OTHER WAY AROUND that the *SERVERS* are giving their customers no respect. We gave respect. She wasn't even going to write the order down, which it would have come out even more messed up, because I ordered a modified entrée as well. She disrespected us since the PRINTED WORDS PROVED her wrong and she ARGUED with PRINTED PROOF.

Now I will agree as far as mean and rude customers go if they are just rude because they are mean people, but I truly believe most customers(most customers I served at a donut shop/diner many years ago), most customers I served weren't rude and mean. It was around 5% of people that were jerks and 95% normal people. There were some people that would have an entire table service like a server(I was counter help back in 1998-2002 off and on a little over 2yrs worth I worked there) would give them with good service(nothing went wrong) and wouldn't tip, but wouldn't be rude though, they just were cheap.

So I agree if with the 5% of customers that are rude out there, but in most cases most people aren't rude and I would say a good amount like 40% of servers are jerks such as not apologizing for mistakes or not even trying in the first place to give you good service. A lot of them treat us with no respect.

You act like servers are always nice, that's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FAR FROM THE TRUTH, you just have NO IDEA! A lot of servers are a$$holes. They aren't nice. You don't sound like you eat out much.

Then you won't get any **IMPROVEMENTS*** on the service if you pay them well NO MATTER WHAT. A good example, let's say they put in your order wrong. The next time you come in, you have that same server, they end up serving you the wrong food. HOW does that improve your life at the restaurant if you have to go through BAD SERVICE OVER AND OVER AGAIN?

"Negative reinforcement is an increase in the future frequency of a behavior when the consequence is the removal of an aversive stimulus"

Removal of some of the tip is punishment, therefore the server TRIES HARDER next time around not to do that sort of thing again.

"Positive reinforcement is an increase in the future frequency of a behavior due to the addition of a stimulus immediately following a response."

The server sees they got a wonderful tip 20% plus tip for not messing up, thus continues to try their VERY BEST.

Once my husband and I had a waitress at Chili's, I ordered the chicken ranch sandwich which came with lettuce, tomato, and wing sauce. I told the server NO tomato, 2 sides of mayonnaise, 1 side of ranch, and 1 side of mustard. The food runner brings it out with NONE of the condiments, the chicken you can see WITHOUT lifting it that there is NO RED SAUCE on the chicken, which is suppose to be COVERED with the sauce. There was a little mayonnaise and mustard on the sandwich which WASN'T suppose to be on there. There was no lettuce, but that would have been hard to see, so I didn't count that off. Anyway, I told the food runner, NO APOLOGY, and the server came with the condiments(NO APOLOGY), and I told her what was all wrong with my sandwich as well as the fries which I ordered them "LIGHTLY cooked" and they were brown. Anyway, I sent it back(which is rare for me to do this, but the WHOLE sandwich was wrong. The waitress could have brought out the condiments ahead of time to have avoid all of those errors at the very least. Well, anyway, I had to send my sandwich back twice, because according to the manager, he said the cooks didn't understand her handwriting. So it was HER FAULT ENTIRELY for my sandwich wrong. We stiffed her. So next time we came, got her again, gave her 23% tip because she was pretty awesome. Do you see how making a tip as a INCENTIVE will make you happier in your life at the restaurant instead of a living hell? If she would have written it neater(printed assuming she wrote it like scribble scratch or cursive), she wouldn't have caused the cooks to mess up again and again making it wrong since they only had her written order to go by.

My point being, if you tip 20% no matter what, HOW do you expect anyone to have ANY REAL REASON to try ANY HARDER? WHY WOULD THEY? They know they won't get any more from you, but they will get a guaranteed amount, but won't more than they know they will be getting since they know you are going to give it no matter what.

It's like most people if you give them an option go sweep the leaves outside for $20 for an hour or watch tv for an hour for $20, which one would most people pick? The one where they didn't have to much of anything.

You aren't helping yourself nor others improve service. We are though, weeding out the bad servers by either getting them reprimanded or fired. I have helped others not get servers that were rude to us improving their lives as well as ours. You don't care about anyone else's lives but yourself. You act like you are caring, but you aren't the way you tip. A tip is supposed to be a way to IMPROVE like a RAISE or PROMOTION that if you do better, you get more and if you keep messing up, you could get a pay cut or demotion. That's how every other job that isn't a tipped position works, WHY should a tipped position be treated ANY DIFFERENTLY? It shouldn't. The server knows they will get 20% from you, so they don't even count that, so when they serve you, they know they can get lots of stuff wrong and take forever for their stuff by making your table last even if you were first by taking advantage of your kindness, so you aren't helping your service.

So that's an excuse to make the customer's day or night bad? Customers have bad days too, but that's no excuse to yell or be rude at a server, it's a TWO-WAY STREET when it comes to that.

It might if I keep doing poorly by demoting my position. Also, I can't get that raise that others are getting. So your logic is VERY FLAWED by a LONG SHOT!

Sorry, but WHY do you look at tipping as a CHARITY or "FEEL SORRY FOR ME" BS? How about them making the customer's day better instead of treating us like shit as A LOT of them do with no apologies, not caring about when we have been overcharged(just today a waitress rung up our check on the wrong table about $33 overcharge).

You act like servers are GOD or QUEENS OR KINGS as they are "ABOVE" customer's feelings. We are all *EQUALS* in this universe. A server is no better than a customer is.

My motto is if they ***CARE ABOUT US, WE CARE ABOUT THEM***, giving them 25%-30% and above at times in tips if they have given us wonderful service.

Tipping is about caring about the customer. If they don't care about us, we won't care about them. It's that simple. Now it depends on the service and the severity of the mistakes as to what kind of a tip they get. Our tips are anywhere from $0-over 30%(usually 25%-28% for really wonderful service). 30% + is usually either a really low bill amount or flawless, perfect service.

Why do you feel sorry for servers when a lot of them aren't caring? We have had many of them that they have been out of something and they just serve you stuff without telling you they were out like the cheesecake story above or not letting you know before your entire table(if you are in a large party especially is ready to order and you aren't now because your server was so INCONSIDERATE that they didn't tell you they were out of that when they greeted you as they should have.

Most servers are UNCARING, LAZY a$$holes. This waitress today, she didn't even at first say she was sorry. Only after. I would **IMMEDIATELY**** have PROFUSELY apologized for such a large overcharge or any, but especially something $20 or over. She didn't even CARE about WTH she was ringing our credit card amount. She was selfish and lazy. While I don't think she was intentionally stealing to set out to steal, but she was intentionally being TOO LAZY to verify the amounts she was charging us. It wasn't busy either. If you don't care about me, I don't care about you. No comp even, I would have PAID MYSELF if I were a server for at least a soft drink or would have asked the manager to comp something, but NO, the waitress was a selfish, lazy, worker. She didn't care about our money, WTH SHOULD WE CARE ABOUT HERS??? 2-way street when it comes to money. Our money is 100% EQUALLY JUST AS IMPORTANT as theirs is.

I hate people like you that feel that tipping is a charity as if we have to feel sorry for lazy, uncaring workers. When you treat the customer's money with respect, we treat the server's money with respect. That's only *FAIR* and *MORALLY RIGHT* to treat others as you are treated.

WHY do you think people go to jail or get detentions or suspensions in school? So they can ***************LEARN***************************** to IMPROVE, DUHHH! That's why tipping is at the end and not automatically given in most cases. Why do you think we tip at the end? If we tipped beforehand, it wouldn't make any sense? I did that ONCE and ONLY ONCE, my 5 cheese sauces I PAID 75 cents a piece for were missing in my Papa John's delivery order once and I REGRETTED tipping someone ahead of time like that. Did that give that driver an INCENTIVE to CHECK the box to see if he had ALL the components in the box? NOOOOOO it didn't.

Positive and negative reinforcement is how tipping was DESIGNED. What you are doing is paying a fee on a bill the way you are tipping and that's not helping ANYONE, YOU NOR ANYONE ELSE that server is serving. You are CREATING AND HELPING you as well as others get bad service.
Quote:
I know when I forget to ask for something. Usually it's also 90% of the time OBVIOUS *WHO* messed up. Like I had ordered seasoned fries at Denny's that were a little extra money instead of onion rings that my entrée came with, then our waitress brings me a plate of onion rings. She isn't blind. If the onion rings made it to my table, even if it's from another server(when the original server put in the order correctly), it's impossible for that to be a kitchen staff error, because everyone knows what onion rings look like vs. fries. The original server if they serve it has their written order(assuming they weren't too lazy to write it and if so, they have the ticket) and if another server ran the food, it's the other server at fault if the order was put in correctly. The only ways it is the kitchen staff's fault is if someone in the kitchen staff brings out the onion rings when the order was put in correctly by the server, which usually the kitchen staff members that make the food don't run the food in most cases and if the servers don't bring out the onion rings(so the wrong item doesn't make it to the table) would it be the kitchen staff's fault).

With steaks, usually the cooks are at fault in most cases, *BUT*, the server has to put in the order temperature correctly. If they do that wrong, then the server is at fault entirely. If also, if the food comes out very quickly and you know they ordered it well done, I would doubt that it's correct to serve it. A good server writes down when they put in EVERY table's orders. They should keep track how long they are waiting in case of an issue such as a lost ticket or ignored order, and as I said, would know not to serve the steak. Another thing, if it looks burnt, but I ordered the steak medium rare, you are an IDIOT if you bring me that steak.

So please stop acting like it's hard to determine. I would say around 5-7% of the time some issue you won't know unless the server admits putting in the order wrong to you or you see it rung up wrong on the check. Usually it's very easy to determine who is at fault for food issues.
Quote:
WRONG, here's why:

1. They can put in the order wrong into the computer or if it's a written ticket they submit, they could have written something down wrong or hard to read.

3. Servers can also misunderstand what the customer is saying such as 2 times when I ordered 2 sides of bbq sauce and the stupid idiot servers thought I didn’t want bbq sauce on my ribs when I NEVER ONCE SAID I didn’t and I didn’t say “ON THE SIDE”, I SAID SIDES, which means extra. One of those times I said extra even.

A. Condiments of any kind regardless of who brings out the food can be brought out by the server ahead of time.

B. If someone orders extra crispy bacon with their pancakes, then the bacon looks limp, not stiff, and you can even see some white fat on it, guess what? MY SERVER COULD HAVE SEEN THAT TOO AND TOLD THE COOKS IT WASN'T CORRECT, TO RECOOK IT INSTEAD OF BRINGING IT TO ME WRONG IN THE FIRST PLACE!

C. Any wrong side dishes or entrees are the fault of the server if they bring out the food even if they put in the order right. You can tell the difference between a baked potato and mac n' cheese, yet, a waiter at Logan's Roadhouse was so stupid as to bring me mac n' cheese when I ordered a baked potato. I noticed it within 5 seconds of the food hitting my table. Like DUH a baked potato looks completely different from mac n' cheese.

D. Any MISSING side dishes, appetizers, condiments, or entrees ARE the server's fault if they bring out the food as well. Have had that happen a few times or so. Our servers aren't blind, so they can tell if something is missing or not.

E. I have seen a red steak delivered to someone before at Outback which means let's say the customer ordered their steak well done, that the server could have noticed the color difference as in someone's example “Steak cooked rare instead of well done ? It’s not your server’s fault, they didn’t cook it, it’s the kitchen’s fault.”

F. If something LOOKS burnt such as a piece of bread with the food and the person didn't order it burnt, my server is at fault for serving me that.

G. If my server forgets an item that an entree or appetizer comes with, that's their fault if they brought me my food without the item such as a side dish or ranch.

H. I have ordered at Outback my fries "lightly cooked" "Not overdone and yellow not brown." I have had their fries before cooked the way I like them before many of times before this time I am talking about. This stupid waitress decided to blame the kitchen staff for REALLY DARK BROWN FRIES as if she was blind or something and my husband even told me he could see that they were really dark. My husband may not agree with me on every subject of course, but with that, you could EASILY tell just by LOOKING that those fries were overdone and very dark. She said she put in the order correctly. I am thinking, SO? I wish I could have said "Are you blind?" That was HER FAULT she DECIDED TO SERVE ME THOSE FRIES THAT WEREN'T CORRECT. I noticed the mistake within 3 seconds of my food being placed in front of me.

You can tell in this picture above the bacon is very crispy just by simply LOOKING at it.

You can tell in this picture above the bacon is NOT CRISPY, just by simple LOOKING at the bacon.

While the server didn't "COOK" the bacon, it's obvious to the *SERVER'S* EYES that one batch of bacon is crispy and the other isn't to decide to BRING the food to the customer wrong or not. It's my server's fault if they decide to bring me the bacon that's like in picture 2 if I ordered it crispy that she or he didn't tell the cooks it was wrong and get them to cook the bacon more instead of SERVING it wrong. WHY bring it out only for the food to be sent back?

You can clearly see the fries are overdone in the picture above if the customer ordered them "NOT OVERDONE, lightly cooked."

In this picture above, you can see the fries don't appear overdone and the bacon is NOT CRISPY. If a customer asked for their bacon to be crispy, I would REFUSE to serve it and I would have enough CARING and COMMON SENSE to get that fixed **BEFORE** I brought it to the customer only to have the customer send it back or leave me a bad tip for not caring about their food.

My server's job isn't just to bring out what the kitchen staff gives them, it's also getting the order OBVIOUSLY correct to the table as much as possible in order to get that good tip. As someone said on a blog or forum “They just want to be tipped well and will do pretty much anything reasonable to get your money”, which that IS VERY REASONABLE to think OUR SERVERS ACTUALLY CARE ABOUT THEIR TIP TO GET THINGS RIGHT TO HAVE A BETTER TIP!!

Get what I am saying here? MOST of the mistakes happen due to either your server if they bring out the food or another server that doesn't compare the ticket to the food(assuming the order was put in correctly by the original server of course).

You also can notice if someone has wing sauce "On the side" vs. "On the wings" themselves. This isn't rocket science.

Most of the things that are wrong with the food can be caught by the server if they bring out the food, even if they didn't cook it. If it's another server, they can catch obvious errors on the ticket and menu(such as menu states the item comes with bbq sauce and the ticket doesn't say "no bbq sauce") if the ticket was correctly put in by the original server that took the order. Condiments(in bottles or on the side in containers) can always be offered to be brought out ahead of time REGARDLESS of WHO brings out the food to the table.

So most of the time when the food has something wrong with it, chances are, your server or another server could have caught the mistake before it got to you in most instances. I NEVER said ALL, but in most cases, it can be caught BEFORE bringing out the food(unless another server brings out the food with the ticket wrong), because then the original server that took the order is at fault for putting the order in incorrectly into the computer.

There are few rare cases where the food being wrong is the kitchen staff's fault such as raw food(such as raw chicken), slightly undercooked or overcooked food that you'd have to CUT into to know if it was under or overcooked, or anything the server cannot see with their eyes unless they were to TOUCH the food. Things such as a pickle under a bun the server can't notice unless they lift the bun, so unless they put the order in wrong, they wouldn't be at fault, but in general most food mistakes can be caught BEFORE bringing the food to the table.

What I am saying is, MOST mistakes ARE PREVENTABLE by the SERVER if they bring your order to you that they can NOTICE things wrong by comparing those written orders to the plates of food.

Once a waiter at Chili's said "The kitchen forgot" when I had ordered 2 sides of mayo and 1 side of mustard. The thing is, my waiter brought out the food, so NO, HE HE HE HE HE FORGOT, the kitchen staff didn't step out the kitchen to bring me my food and forget obvious missing containers from my plate that aren't covered up by anything. MY WAITER DID THOUGH!!

You walk in one room in your house with a plate of food, but forget the ranch. Even if your mom or significant other plated your food, which you even told her you wanted a side of ranch for your fries, but you bring it to another room. HOW IS THAT THEIR FAULT? It's YOUR FAULT YOU LEFT THE ROOM WITHOUT THE RANCH AND DIDN'T NOTICE IT SINCE IT'S SOMETHING OBVIOUS YOU DON'T HAVE TO *TOUCH* TO NOTICE THE MISTAKE!!

Even if he didn't bring out the food, that waiter could have prevented that type of thing from being forgotten since it needs no cooking to bring it out ahead of time. It is always the person bringing out the food that is at fault for any type of mistake that you don't have to TOUCH the food to notice the mistake, unless of course, the order was put in wrong by the original server that took the order with another server bringing out the food. Of course unless, the kitchen goofs up, making it correctly even if the ticket is wrong, but that's highly unlikely scenario.

I cannot believe you honestly think that the server is not at fault for most food mistakes. WE LIVED THROUGH THE "DUH" MISTAKES, SO WE CAN SEE WITH OUR EYES WHO WAS AT FAULT!!

We had a waiter once admitted he grabbed the wrong entrée from the kitchen. It was just my husband and I. This waiter not only admitted he didn't compare the WRITTEN ORDER with the entrées he was bringing out, but also we saw he had other entrées for another table that he didn't ONCE get his pad of paper out to see WHICH ENTRÉE WENT WITH WHICH TABLE!! So 2 times he could have caught his mistake, but didn't *****TRY HIS BEST AS HE SHOULD HAVE, because that's HIS JOB**!!

He admitted that he grabbed the wrong entrée from the kitchen. He brought my husband fried shrimp w/fries when he ordered crawfish au gratin w/baked potato. Those items look NOTHING A LIKE, but yet THAT WAITER WAS TOO LAZY AND UNCARING TO VERIFY *WHAT* HE WAS BRINGING US!! We still left him 17% BTW, just to let you know since he profusely apologized TWICE and FIXED THE SITUATION IMMEDIATELY just about. We honestly shouldn’t have though, because that really didn't make him LEARN anything. If I had to do it all over again, I would have tipped 13%. It's because since that happened(a number of years ago, maybe like 4), me and my husband have had some terrible experiences. We have had good ones too of course, but the servers need to LEARN that they can't just hand you ANYTHING like McDonald's cashiers do. They are there to EARN a tip, NOT to just hand you anything.

It's very rare that it's not the server's fault. Things like if I order no pickles if you took my order and brought out my food, which there are some pickles under a bun that you'd have to lift it to see it, unless you admitted putting in the order wrong, I will assume it's the kitchen staff that is at fault and probably is.

A slightly over or undercooked steak if the order was put in correctly is not the server's fault.

If another server brings out a wrong side dish or if they are missing items other than condiments, no it's not the server's fault if they put in the order correctly, but it still counts against the tip. It's part of the service.

Why also is it when you say "no pickles" or "ONLY lettuce and onions", they still have a pickle on the plate? WHY you servers can't understand that if the customer states they don't want pickles, that means on the plate, because otherwise, they'd specifically state they would have wanted it "ON THE SIDE." Think about it. WHY do I keep having servers bring me some pickles on the plate when I ordered no pickles? NO SERVERS ARE BLIND OR ILLITERATE that they cannot determine any of the obvious errors that don't have to be touched to notice the mistakes or mistake.

WTF? Did anyone make it through this three hour seminar?
      04-17-2016, 07:22 PM   #167
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Is it over now?
      04-17-2016, 07:23 PM   #168
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

We've all had bad service no need to explain it to us dope head.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 07:24 PM   #169
wdb
dances with roads
Rep

For posterity.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 07:25 PM   #170
wdb
dances with roads
Rep

Posterity two.
Quote:
WRONG, here's why:

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 07:25 PM   #171
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
WRONG, here's why:

WTF? Did anyone make it through this three hour seminar?
I dropped that class after seeing wall of text.
I congratulate anyone that can complete it
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2016, 07:27 PM   #172
wdb
dances with roads
Rep

Two very solid reasons I was wise to never wait tables. I would have poured stuff onto that person and anyone foolish enough to be at the table with them.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 07:31 PM   #173
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb
Posterity two.
Quote:
WRONG, here's why:

Oh my
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 07:34 PM   #174
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

You ate a lot of paint chips as a child didn't you?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 07:35 PM   #175
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Yes, dealing with the public can be challenging...
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 07:36 PM   #176
Springs1
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
We've all had bad service no need to explain it to us dope head.
There is to the IDIOTS that don't understand that the server is most of the time at fault for food mess ups.
Appreciate 0