E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Depressed About Money

12-10-2015, 08:19 PM   #155
David70
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 20 AM Vantage -13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
I absolutely agree. Hobbies and other activities to keep yourself busy and entertained are always a good thing. What is that they say about idle hands?

One thing that blows my mind is when I hear about people who win or inherit large sums of money and say they will continue working at their regular day job. You would think they would have aspirations to travel or finally take part in a hobby/activity they weren't able to before. The fact they would want to stick to the same routine seems crazy, unless they run their own business or have a job they really love.
If they are completely happy with the life they have why should they immediately change it because they now have money? They would probably tell the rest of us that they found something years ago that made them happy, why haven't we and if someone likes there job so much that they would do it even if they don't need the money I think they have found something far better than I have.

When I retire, hopefully at a relatively young age, I could definitely see getting a part time job or volunteering. I have hobbies and like to travel but reality is my hobbies would take up a small part of my time and there are only so many trips I would take in a year.
      12-10-2015, 08:35 PM   #156
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
If they are completely happy with the life they have why should they immediately change it because they now have money? They would probably tell the rest of us that they found something years ago that made them happy, why haven't we and if someone likes there job so much that they would do it even if they don't need the money I think they have found something far better than I have.

When I retire, hopefully at a relatively young age, I could definitely see getting a part time job or volunteering. I have hobbies and like to travel but reality is my hobbies would take up a small part of my time and there are only so many trips I would take in a year.
There are many people in this world that need help physically, mentally, financially, etc. and the fastest way to forget "how bad you have it" is to devote time to helping others - some of the greatest wealth you will ever receive.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2015, 08:09 AM   #157
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

You think you're depressed about money now with zero debt and a secure job? Try starting a business, managing investor's money, and actually employing people (very scary) and then get back to me....
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 08:09 AM   #158
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xDrive 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
i work for a bank, i see peoples money everyday, FYI the happiest people that come in my bank have a good enough amount of money to retire, 100k or so and have a 10k car at most. sometimes less and just spend money on kids/grandkids,vacations etc...its not about HOW MUCH you make, its how much you keep

edit: i had a guy in a e92 n52 pull through the drive thru today with his polo shirt and expensive watch, with all of $30 in his account haha, daddy's money, and he was like 30
Living the dream. Living for free, care free and everything for him is paid for.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 05:13 PM   #159
-BEASTMW-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

As a somewhat OCD, analytical-type person, I also get a little too preoccupied with money sometimes. I do quite well, although it rarely feels like it in the Bay Area, CA. If I have a bad day in the market (like today) and my stock/fund picks aren't panning out, it gets to me - but I'm too much of a control freak to just hand that over to a money manager, even if that might be the smarter move.

What I do to calm myself down is think about how much worse most people have it, and in multiple dimensions. OP, think about this: first, you make more money than probably 95% of the U.S. Which means maybe 99% of the world. I don't stop here, however... I think about how lucky we are in other dimensions, as well. Humanity has been around for millions of years (well, depending on your beliefs, but a very long time regardless). Yet only in the last thousand years have we reasonably expected to live past 40. Only in the last hundred years have we gotten running water in every building (some people still do not have this). Only in the last 15 years or so have we all gotten our own phones, which also now can tell you virtually anything you'd like to know in seconds. If we were born even 0.1% earlier in the spectrum of human history, we'd be worrying about our next meal, and getting the flu might mean death.

Also, think about your own existence. Are you still physically able, and with no serious diseases? If so, the things you take for granted are ever-constant limiting factors in the lives of many millions of others. I go even further: what if we were born dogs or snakes or insects? Sounds odd, but hey... there are 7 billion humans vs. how many fruit flies? If we truly are the top of the food chain and the most intelligent beings on Earth, then we are lucky as hell to be just that. I don't see any iguanas driving M3s...

My point is, if you're a human living in 2015 in the U.S. making more than 19 out of 20 Americans, you should damn well have enough to be happy about. If not, go do something that makes you happy and stop worrying about inconsequential money "problems." I of course have my own financial goalposts and stress about making them happen, but I try to pause and think about the bigger picture. Even if I didn't meet these goals, even if my investments lost half their value, even I lost my job, would I be on the street? No. Would I still be better off than the vast majority of the present-day world until I got back on my feet? Yes. Be thankful for what you have and enjoy it, because as shown by a couple of people in this thread, someday it may not be there.
Appreciate 2