E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Turbo lag after 7.5" FMIC upgrade?

07-02-2020, 01:26 AM   #45
slay2k
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by type-dRew View Post
You need to log with dsc off. Never log with traction control on
Understood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgop335 View Post
Torque limit 1 in the log...
Huh! Didn't even realize that was being logged. What the hell is traction control doing kicking in at 4800rpm in 2nd under full 17psi anyway? At that point the Michelin PS4s should be glued to the road, no? Or is this preventing the car from going sideways?

I did notice (once) in 3rd, under full boost going 50+, the car did feel like it torque steered, or wanted to steer sideways, which is obviously pretty odd for RWD. Recent alignment, etc. Thoughts welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saif2018 View Post
It could be the boost solenoids,

I didn't get any timing corrections on stock, strange that you get it using 93, and so many, that many timing corrections will definitely cause power loss, wether you think you feel it or not.

As for your lag, I'm pretty sure it isn't caused by the intercooler simply because its 7.5 inch instead of a 5 inch one.

Makes sure you check all connection points including the vacumn cannister where the lines connect to, top and bottom.

If you still can't find anything, a leak down test maybe a good idea.

Although it does not look like you have a significant boost leak anyway since your hitting close to target boost.
Thanks for taking the time to respond. It could just be that the fuel here sucks, no? That's kind of the consensus from people I've talked to, at least. I thought solenoids tend to throw codes or max out WGDC, etc?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 01:31 AM   #46
slay2k
Private First Class
Rep

BTW, to those insisting 7.5" and 5" are identical in terms of lag, here's the response I got from Ken Atkinson @ Wedge Performance. If memory serves, he created the original OTS maps for MHD.

We can do a custom tune, but your core volume is too high for the turbo to fill up now over the rpm increase. You should have installed the 5" step.

I'm silly enough to downgrade to achieve the perfect response, but thoughts welcomed.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 01:54 AM   #47
slay2k
Private First Class
Rep

Also noticed my oil temps are now 10-15 degrees higher, hitting a max of 260-265(!) during hard runs. To be expected now that it's pushing 18psi?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 06:55 AM   #48
Smgs1992
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by slay2k View Post
Also noticed my oil temps are now 10-15 degrees higher, hitting a max of 260-265(!) during hard runs. To be expected now that it's pushing 18psi?
Im pushing 20psi and mine never gets above 245
07 E92 335i 6MT, MMP inlets, DCI, VRSF 7.5 competition intercooler, VRSF catless downpipes, VRSF chargepipe, 335is clutch, Vader Solutions stage 2 LPFP, MHD stage 2+, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, R1 Concepts drilled slotted rotors, TSW Nurburgring 19x8 19x9.5
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 07:20 AM   #49
Impreza98
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 335i and 05 STI

Quote:
BTW, to those insisting 7.5" and 5" are identical in terms of lag, here's the response I got from Ken Atkinson @ Wedge Performance. If memory serves, he created the original OTS maps for MHD.

We can do a custom tune, but your core volume is too high for the turbo to fill up now over the rpm increase. You should have installed the 5" step.

I'm silly enough to downgrade to achieve the perfect response, but thoughts welcomed.
To me this isn't surprising. In the Subaru world, it is generally accepted that when moving from a top mount intercooler to a larger front mount, response time and lag will increase. This basic principle would apply to any care I would think.
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2020, 08:03 AM   #50
type-dRew
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive

Quote:
Understood.

Huh! Didn't even realize that was being logged. What the hell is traction control doing kicking in at 4800rpm in 2nd under full 17psi anyway? At that point the Michelin PS4s should be glued to the road, no? Or is this preventing the car from going sideways?

I did notice (once) in 3rd, under full boost going 50+, the car did feel like it torque steered, or wanted to steer sideways, which is obviously pretty odd for RWD. Recent alignment, etc. Thoughts welcome.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. It could just be that the fuel here sucks, no? That's kind of the consensus from people I've talked to, at least. I thought solenoids tend to throw codes or max out WGDC, etc?
you dont need to have tire slip to have tc kick on, which is why you log with it disabled

i have tc kick on in 3rd gear if i dont log with it off...and im awd
New setup; Covid 19Ts on RFP 93 + ARM inlets, dp, VTT cp and PSP outlets
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 08:50 AM   #51
Smgs1992
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impreza99 View Post
To me this isn't surprising. In the Subaru world, it is generally accepted that when moving from a top mount intercooler to a larger front mount, response time and lag will increase. This basic principle would apply to any care I would think.
Thats essentially the response i got from another bmw forum that isnt to be mentioned on here
07 E92 335i 6MT, MMP inlets, DCI, VRSF 7.5 competition intercooler, VRSF catless downpipes, VRSF chargepipe, 335is clutch, Vader Solutions stage 2 LPFP, MHD stage 2+, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, R1 Concepts drilled slotted rotors, TSW Nurburgring 19x8 19x9.5
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 11:49 AM   #52
slay2k
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smgs1992 View Post
Im pushing 20psi and mine never gets above 245
I'm guessing you have a factory oil cooler.

Mine does not.

Not sure if I should be concerned or not, since it never actually overheated. I guess I could always run the MHD max-cool-mode or whatever, probably at a cost.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 11:51 AM   #53
slay2k
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by type-dRew View Post
you dont need to have tire slip to have tc kick on, which is why you log with it disabled

i have tc kick on in 3rd gear if i dont log with it off...and im awd
What actually triggers it, in that scenario?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 11:55 AM   #54
slay2k
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impreza99 View Post
I assume this applies to a FMIC-to-FMIC scenario just as much as a TMIC-to-FMIC one, then.
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2020, 11:56 AM   #55
Smgs1992
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I'm guessing you have a factory oil cooler.

Mine does not.

Not sure if I should be concerned or not, since it never actually overheated. I guess I could always run the MHD max-cool-mode or whatever, probably at a cost.
I do.
I thought bmw would install one free of charge if yours didnt come with one. However idk if that ship has sailed given the age and probability of not being the original owner
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 12:01 PM   #56
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Understood.

Always datalog without traction control on, the system can intervene even if you don't think it is, it's very sensitive.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 12:37 PM   #57
dcorn
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i

Yeah, I'm gonna go on record with the "bigger IC = more lag" team. You guys think the turbos can pressurize a much larger volume in the same amount of time? Nope.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 02:04 PM   #58
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: All Things TurboCharged

A bigger intercooler can definitely add more lag, it's about the velocity of air and time getting through the system. Remember, velocity doesn't increase with increased boost.

For many people that wring out turbos very hard, or live in extreme climates, going to a larger intercooler is a pretty good trade, but if you're going for responsiveness, that's really a different setup.

There is some decent literature out there about the actual time differences in different applications, and IIRC a large and lousy flowing FMIC can add something ridiculous like well over a second of lag. Which means it's worth while to size the FMIC correctly for your application... but if you have to err, err on the big side. High IAT's is awful for power. Some of the large single or twin guys may not notice considering their powerband and how the car is used.

If you're not opposed to the idea, a smaller (well designed) FMIC and a meth nozzle would be a good means of controlling temps and keeping responsiveness as good as you can get.

I live in Arizona, so the biggest honking intercooler I can get in there is pretty much required.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 12:31 AM   #59
slay2k
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smgs1992 View Post
I do.
I thought bmw would install one free of charge if yours didnt come with one. However idk if that ship has sailed given the age and probability of not being the original owner
Yeah, fat chance on a 13 yr old car where I'm the 3rd owner

I'd consider an aftermarket oil cooler, but right now I haven't broken 265, so probably not worth it. Also, no idea who's even reputable in that space.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 12:33 AM   #60
slay2k
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@VargasTurboTech View Post
A bigger intercooler can definitely add more lag, it's about the velocity of air and time getting through the system. Remember, velocity doesn't increase with increased boost.

For many people that wring out turbos very hard, or live in extreme climates, going to a larger intercooler is a pretty good trade, but if you're going for responsiveness, that's really a different setup.

There is some decent literature out there about the actual time differences in different applications, and IIRC a large and lousy flowing FMIC can add something ridiculous like well over a second of lag. Which means it's worth while to size the FMIC correctly for your application... but if you have to err, err on the big side. High IAT's is awful for power. Some of the large single or twin guys may not notice considering their powerband and how the car is used.

If you're not opposed to the idea, a smaller (well designed) FMIC and a meth nozzle would be a good means of controlling temps and keeping responsiveness as good as you can get.

I live in Arizona, so the biggest honking intercooler I can get in there is pretty much required.
Thanks Chris.

I'm in PR, the weather here is about 20 deg cooler relative to yours (not sure how you do it, man). And I don't wring my hamsters that hard, max 18psi.

So I'll probably end up with a 5" at some point.
Appreciate 0