E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > How do you make sure your N55 (or N54) can survive trackdays?

12-21-2019, 05:13 PM   #1
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 335i

How do you make sure your N55 (or N54) can survive trackdays?

So I've recently killed my engine on a trackday. Oil starvation/rod bearing failure I guess.

I'm getting a used engine put in.
I want to be able to safely throw it around corners without causing oil starvation, so what can be done to help prevent this?

So far what I want to do with the replacement engine:
*Have new rod bearings installed
*Additional baffling added to the oil sump - any good baffle designs?

What else can be done reasonably to help?

I know of oil accumulators like Accusump but I'm not sure I like this due to the extra complexity it adds. It makes maintenance more complex, it's another thing that can cause issues or break, and it's big so will get in the way of any engine work.

Can an additional oil pump be added easily? Consider that I can do this before installing the engine. Are there other oiling system retrofits than can be done easily when an engine is out of the car?

Improved cooling worth it? If so what should I get? I'm in New Zealand where the climate is mild.

Maybe an MHD Stage 2+ tune is a bit much for a trackday, perhaps I should have dropped to stage 1+...

I've seen people talk about overfilling the engine with an extra 1l or so of oil for track sessions. Good idea?

Next time I'll also make sure to have a tablet/phone set up to monitor oil pressure and temps so I can spot issues quickly. When you're going all out on track you can't stare at the oil temp gauge in the dash... my first sign of an issue was the car going into limp mode from overheating.

Or should I buy an M3/M4? I can't afford to blow an engine on one of those

PS if your car shows an overheating warning on a track and goes into limp mode, pull out immediately and have the rod bearings checked. Do not go out again. That's a major red flag, and your oil is probably cooked at that point too.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 12:13 PM   #2
Jacobrup97
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i n55 e92

the M2 and m235ir have a upgraded oil pan and sump system but it would easily be and expensive upgrade as parts are around 1000 a piece.
Appreciate 0