E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Piece of Accessory Belt in Valve Cover

01-22-2020, 04:21 PM   #1
fortywater
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M-Sport

Piece of Accessory Belt in Valve Cover

Hey everyone, my Indy recently found a small piece of what looked to be like the accessory belt in my valve train when the valve cover was being replaced. The piece was about 3 inches long.

I am assuming the PO had an accessory belt shred on it at some point before he sold it to me about 4 weeks ago.

I plan on having the indy put it up on a lift and remove the crank pulley and inspect the seal, but my question is, if there was even 1 small piece of belt in there, is the seal likely done for? I have no oil leaking from the seal currently, and so my fingers are crossed that the seal is mainly in-tact, however I am scared that if the seal is intact, that means that either multiple pieces got by without damaging the seal, or the PO just rolled the dice, replaced the seal and belt, and sold it.

Trying to avoid spending an arm and a leg dropping the pan and inspecting everything, but I understand how serious of a situation this can be.

Is it possible for pieces of belt to get by without damaging the seal? Seems like this wouldn't be a possibility....correct me if I am wrong.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 09:32 AM   #2
fortywater
Private
Rep

Update: After communicating with the previous owner he told me that he did in fact shred an accessory belt and replaced the leaking OFHG that caused the belt to shred, the belt, and the front crank seal as a precaution. He told me he did not inspect inside the engine for pieces of belt. Apparently his mechanic said there was "no risk".

So, at this point, inspecting the crank seal is pointless. Looks like I am going to have to drop the pan and clean it out along with the oil pick-up tube. Better safe than sorry, just trying to protect my investment and not grenade the motor.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2020, 12:17 AM   #3
fatty335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortywater View Post
Update: After communicating with the previous owner he told me that he did in fact shred an accessory belt and replaced the leaking OFHG that caused the belt to shred, the belt, and the front crank seal as a precaution. He told me he did not inspect inside the engine for pieces of belt. Apparently his mechanic said there was "no risk".

So, at this point, inspecting the crank seal is pointless. Looks like I am going to have to drop the pan and clean it out along with the oil pick-up tube. Better safe than sorry, just trying to protect my investment and not grenade the motor.
If you are going through the trouble of having your mechanic drop the subframe and oil pan, depending on how many miles you have on the motor, you might consider having the rod bearings inspected/replaced. I seem to recall someone saying its only 1.5 hours additional labor by the book once the subframe and pan are down. There have been a few cases - me included - of rod bearings showing significant wear at relatively low miles.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 07:43 AM   #4
lwgrenier
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335i XDrive

If the previous owner didn't notice an ofhg leak bad enough to make the belt slip I'd be concerned about how well the car was maintained. fatty is right, would probably be very worthwhile to have the rod bearings done while the pan is off.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 09:22 AM   #5
fortywater
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatty335 View Post
If you are going through the trouble of having your mechanic drop the subframe and oil pan, depending on how many miles you have on the motor, you might consider having the rod bearings inspected/replaced. I seem to recall someone saying its only 1.5 hours additional labor by the book once the subframe and pan are down. There have been a few cases - me included - of rod bearings showing significant wear at relatively low miles.
Appreciate the info. I just turned over 95k miles....when were yours showing wear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwgrenier View Post
If the previous owner didn't notice an ofhg leak bad enough to make the belt slip I'd be concerned about how well the car was maintained. fatty is right, would probably be very worthwhile to have the rod bearings done while the pan is off.
Most definitely. Appreciate the response.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 10:11 AM   #6
lwgrenier
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

looks like he did his at 72k

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1572184
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 12:06 PM   #7
fortywater
Private
Rep

For anyone following, here is all of the debris that came out of the oil pick up tube and oil pan. Previous owners "master tech" friend at Lexus said it "wouldn't be an issue".

Thankful for a good and thorough Indy!

Appreciate 1
      02-06-2020, 01:21 PM   #8
lwgrenier
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

that's not good... did you end up having your bearings replaced?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 02:11 PM   #9
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f25

Quote:
For anyone following, here is all of the debris that came out of the oil pick up tube and oil pan. Previous owners "master tech" friend at Lexus said it "wouldn't be an issue".

Thankful for a good and thorough Indy!

I mean, it's not a problem.... until it is

Also, nice bolt there!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 03:55 PM   #10
fortywater
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwgrenier View Post
that's not good... did you end up having your bearings replaced?
I did not. I took an oil sample and am going to send out for analysis for wear metals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjuna View Post
I mean, it's not a problem.... until it is

Also, nice bolt there!
Haha exactly. Funny you joke about the bolt, because I got the trans serviced and there WAS a loose mechatronics fastener in the pan from the PO or whoever worked on it last. Thankfully no damage...

Remind me why I bought a used BMW? lol
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 12:13 AM   #11
fatty335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
I did not. I took an oil sample and am going to send out for analysis for wear metals.

Haha exactly. Funny you joke about the bolt, because I got the trans serviced and there WAS a loose mechatronics fastener in the pan from the PO or whoever worked on it last. Thankfully no damage...

Remind me why I bought a used BMW? lol
Unfortunately, with BMW's switch from lead/copper to tin/aluminum rod bearings, analyzing your oil is not as "helpful" as it used to be in terms of alerting you to increased wear. Good luck and post your results!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 11:54 AM   #12
fortywater
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatty335 View Post
Unfortunately, with BMW's switch from lead/copper to tin/aluminum rod bearings, analyzing your oil is not as "helpful" as it used to be in terms of alerting you to increased wear. Good luck and post your results!
Will do!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 10:12 AM   #13
fortywater
Private
Rep

Attached Blackstone labs report! I bought the car at 94k miles and the oil was changed at 97k. I am unsure of the status of the oil before I purchased, so I am going to use the baseline of 3k miles on this oil since I know for a fact that is true.

Analysis looks good overall. I will send another sample after I hit 5k miles on this oil.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BlackStone Labs Report - 3k miles - Feb 2020.pdf (17.1 KB, 43 views)
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 07:36 AM   #14
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Attached Blackstone labs report! I bought the car at 94k miles and the oil was changed at 97k. I am unsure of the status of the oil before I purchased, so I am going to use the baseline of 3k miles on this oil since I know for a fact that is true.

Analysis looks good overall. I will send another sample after I hit 5k miles on this oil.
Not to crush your hope but that oil analysts doesn’t mean much. I was personally tracking wear on an engine that went to similar and did few samples. When last sample arrive on Tuesday it read excellent wear. However engine developed a knock on Monday that rendered it un driveable. Someone above said it beautifully: is not a problem until it is. I would have replaced the rod bearings.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 10:28 AM   #15
fortywater
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Not to crush your hope but that oil analysts doesn’t mean much. I was personally tracking wear on an engine that went to similar and did few samples. When last sample arrive on Tuesday it read excellent wear. However engine developed a knock on Monday that rendered it un driveable. Someone above said it beautifully: is not a problem until it is. I would have replaced the rod bearings.
Yeah I am aware, as stated by people above, that the wear analysis for metals isn’t a tell-all for bearing wear like it used to be before BMW switched bearing composition.

Realistically it’s a $10k car that I’ve put way too much money into already. My Indy who specializes in n55/n54 said he thinks I’m good and don’t need to replace them. I know there are documented cases of failure on here, but the amount of non-failures drastically outweighs the amount of failures.

Based on above, I opted no.

Last edited by fortywater; 03-01-2020 at 10:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 07:28 PM   #16
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Yeah I am aware, as stated by people above, that the wear analysis for metals isn’t a tell-all for bearing wear like it used to be before BMW switched bearing composition.

Realistically it’s a $10k car that I’ve put way too much money into already. My Indy who specializes in n55/n54 said he thinks I’m good and don’t need to replace them. I know there are documented cases of failure on here, but the amount of non-failures drastically outweighs the amount of failures.

Based on above, I opted no.
Same here, spent more on my 335i than any other car I owned.

Rod bearing failure isn't as common, nowhere near as the V8 in the M3 E90

I had almost exactly the same problem of shredded belt,

Replaced Front and Rear crank seals, and auxiliary belts and pulleys for good measure.

The mechanic I took it too managed to remove the shredded pieces, although I didn't have so many tiny pieces.

Last edited by Saif2018; 04-01-2020 at 12:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 09:24 AM   #17
fortywater
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saif2018 View Post
Same here, spent more on my 335i than any other car I owned.

Rod bearing failure isn't as common, nowhere bear as the V8 in the M3 E90

I had almost exactly the same problem of shredded belt,

Replaced Front and Rear crank seals, and auxiliary belts and pulleys for good measure.

The mechanic I took it too managed to remove the shredded pieces, although I didn't have so many tiny pieces.
Our situation sounds very familiar for sure. How has your car been holding up?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 12:37 PM   #18
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Our situation sounds very familiar for sure. How has your car been holding up?
Since I had the valve cover gasket done, ofhg and crank seals and oil change Has been running fine for months now, and I often go for a repeated rips with mo issues so far ...

its on stage 1 98ron MHD map running great.

Upgraded vrsf charge pipe, plugs and Eldor Coils, so never had a misfire either.

Did oil change to Castrol edge 0w30, not so long ago.

Was about to go for an intercooler upgrade before this Coronavirus situation,

Stage 1 + will have to wait now unfortunately
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 02:45 PM   #19
fortywater
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saif2018 View Post
Since I had the valve cover gasket done, ofhg and crank seals and oil change Has been running fine for months now, and I often go for a repeated rips with mo issues so far ...

its on stage 1 98ron MHD map running great.

Upgraded vrsf charge pipe, plugs and Eldor Coils, so never had a misfire either.

Did oil change to Castrol edge 0w30, not so long ago.

Was about to go for an intercooler upgrade before this Coronavirus situation,

Stage 1 + will have to wait now unfortunately
Bummer! Sounds like the car is holding up well though! I am debating going catless DP and IC/Chargepipe soon and flashing stage 2+....

We will see. Trying to keep it tame since its my daily but I have the need for speed lol. I am going to start sourcing some used parts and then go from there.
Appreciate 0