E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Can I disable bulb checks with a scan tool?

02-18-2019, 09:57 AM   #1
nuke21
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 328i

Can I disable bulb checks with a scan tool?

I want to disable bulb checks. On my e46 I used the BMW scanner 1.4 and was able to disable bulb checks. For instance if I installed LED lights or something, it wouldn't check and display that the LED blinker light was out etc. I was wondering if newer scan tools allow this for the E90 cars.

I just bought a 09 328i and I was interested in the idea of hard wiring the halo ring DRLs to an accessory power. I did this to my e46. I want to run the halo lights as automatic DRLs. I do not want to have the marker lights on with them, or to have to switch my light switch every time I want them to turn on. I have seen a few DIYs on here that require you to put a big resister in to prevent the car from throwing a light code, and they also have to move their light switch off of auto lights in order for them to come on. I want to negate all of that by just hard wiring the DRLs and removing the bulb tests like I did on my e46.

I have came across a few people saying the scan tool from Bavarian Technic can do this but I thought I would confirm this before I order it and then it doesn't work. And also wanted to throw the idea around incase someone has a better idea to go about this also.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 11:14 AM   #2
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

It cannot be done with a basic scan tool or even Bav Tech tool.

You need to code it out. We offer coding services if you are interested.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 11:49 AM   #3
nuke21
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 328i

How does the coding work? Do you guys shit put a module I plug into the OBD2?

What kind of prices are we looking at?

Is it a one time payment (Like with Livernois) or is it per modification?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 01:00 PM   #4
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke21 View Post
I want to disable bulb checks. On my e46 I used the BMW scanner 1.4 and was able to disable bulb checks. For instance if I installed LED lights or something, it wouldn't check and display that the LED blinker light was out etc. I was wondering if newer scan tools allow this for the E90 cars.

I just bought a 09 328i and I was interested in the idea of hard wiring the halo ring DRLs to an accessory power. I did this to my e46. I want to run the halo lights as automatic DRLs. I do not want to have the marker lights on with them, or to have to switch my light switch every time I want them to turn on. I have seen a few DIYs on here that require you to put a big resister in to prevent the car from throwing a light code, and they also have to move their light switch off of auto lights in order for them to come on. I want to negate all of that by just hard wiring the DRLs and removing the bulb tests like I did on my e46.

I have came across a few people saying the scan tool from Bavarian Technic can do this but I thought I would confirm this before I order it and then it doesn't work. And also wanted to throw the idea around incase someone has a better idea to go about this also.
You can disable bulb check with most if not all of the exterior bulbs using Carly.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 04:12 PM   #5
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke21 View Post
How does the coding work? Do you guys shit put a module I plug into the OBD2?

What kind of prices are we looking at?

Is it a one time payment (Like with Livernois) or is it per modification?
I can't post links in this section but more info is on the site under Remote Coding Services.

You need a cable, which we can provide for you to buy or rent and a laptop computer with wifi connection.

Our coder will send you the software and pertinent information you need while setting up an appointment.

Pricing is based on what you need.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 10:36 AM   #6
4ndres
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMX X1 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
I can't post links in this section but more info is on the site under Remote Coding Services.

You need a cable, which we can provide for you to buy or rent and a laptop computer with wifi connection.

Our coder will send you the software and pertinent information you need while setting up an appointment.

Pricing is based on what you need.
Hey Jeff, can you PM me regarding the bulb check coding.

I have capabilities to code, I just don't understand what parameters control the check.

I recently updated my interior lights to LED and I'm getting the interior light fault codes A669,A668, and A66A. I'm on a 2014 E84.

The lights turn on, and then shut off after some time.