E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Darth Niloc's E90 330d Project Build Thread

06-27-2019, 08:56 PM   #1
Darth Niloc
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330d SE Auto

Darth Niloc's E90 330d Project Build Thread

Hi everyone

A few weeks ago, I had the (now once in a lifetime?) opportunity to purchase a 2006 E90 330d SE 4d Auto with one previous owner from new and only 34k on the clock. Now despite the fact that the missus and I had just bought a house a few days prior to this and had both pumped all of our life savings into the deposit, I just couldn't let an opportunity like this pass me by. I won't get into the details of what I had to do to pull together that kind of money in such a short space of time but yesterday I finally took delivery of my new car

The car is completely standard except for the wheels which I believe are an M Sport 18 inch running on standard tyres. I was given the full set of original alloys with the run flat tyres along with the car but from everything I have read these are terrible so I will stick to the current wheels for now. I also believe it has the sports suspension fitted as a factory optional extra? Best of all I know the previous owner very well...

My father bought the car for my mother back in 2006 but she hated it (too fast, expensive and she didn't like the absence of the clutch ) so it became like a back up car for my father who drove it rarely. He reckons the engine isn't even broken in yet (and from everything I have read in the last few weeks, he may have a point lol).

I found this forum shortly after purchasing the car and have spent the last few weeks reading hundreds of posts trying to learn all I can. I have never owned a BMW before and have been driving company cars for the last 15 years (standard Vectra's and Insignia's ). However before the boredom of company cars I had the usual hot hatches back in my late teens / early twenties, the fastest of them being my project build Toyota EP82 GT Turbo with countless modifications pushing close to 280bhp (400bhp with Nitrous from a 1.3l petrol turbo (130bhp standard) ). I actually still have this car but it's been off the road for several years now - Was awesome fun!

Anyway inspired by the current project build threads on here by blueh88, R99 and B3NPM (to name a few), I thought I would start my own thread as I have big plans for this car. Problem is I haven't fully decided what those plans are yet However part 1 of the project will definitely be getting the car secured. I've read so many horror stories over the last few weeks about how easy these motors are to steal that I seriously considered sleeping in the back seat with my trusty nail studded baseball bat until I can get it properly able to defend itself.

The other 'problem' is whilst I am busy spec'ing my dream build list, my missus is busy designing our new kitchen and bathroom suites which unfortunately will funnel most of the funding away from the car for a few months That said, I've already put the notion in her head that it will need a new alarm as well as a new exhaust and some 'diagonstic' works done (it's a 13 year old car sweetheart, it needs special care and attention ). She seems to have bought into it for now at least so we'll just keep watering that seed and let it grow for a few months

I'm hoping the rest of the parts I've ordered arrive tomorrow so I can start installing the new security defence system into the car. Best part is that due to the fact it's so late in the month, I couldn't bring myself to tax the car and only get like four days use out of the full month so it is currently off the road until Monday. I've only ever driven the car twice, once when I got my new car test drive in it 13 years ago and again when I went to see the motor before buying it a few weeks back. I've never had the chance to give it a proper test to see what it is capable off although I have been a passenger in several tuned and standard 30d's and 35d's so I have a fair idea what to expect. So as you can imagine I'm now wishing the days away until the start of next month. Only three days to go...

Anyway thanks for takng the time to read. I will try to get some more photos posted over the weekend

Thanks,
Darth Niloc
Appreciate 2
      07-04-2019, 06:10 PM   #2
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330d M Sport Auto

Good luck and look forward to seeing what you do with it!!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 04:40 AM   #3
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D M Sport

So, am I reading this correctly that your 330D has 37k miles on the clock? I cant believe how unique this e90 is, 2006 and barely broken in it's absolutely amazing!

With that said, I would love to see a video of the engine running with the bonnet open, these Diesels can have so many various sounds (hydraulic lifter ticking, brake vacuum pump rattle etc) and this will be about the best example of a good running engine with little to no issues.

As for the security if the car if you have comfort access get a key defender which blocks the signal, something I also do which I've not read anywhere else is press the transmission shifter button in and pull the shifter off. It's only a small thing but I'm thinking if somebody comes to steal my 330d automatic they're going to either need to come prepared with a spare shifter or do something long to probably bypass it, but really the idea is to make the thieves think, sod that I'll just rob the car next to it (sorry neighbour)

Also, I think you said you drove a car with 280hp? It's crazy think a remap alone could send you past that in this beast! If you've read a lot one thing I would personally advise is keeping the DPF in place if you decide on a remap. According to BWChiptune a standard remap can achieve the same or very similar results as a car without the DPF and unfortunately not many people know this.. my take is keep it until you actually "need" to remove it.. like blueh88 with his hybrids FMIC and all the rest haha.

But yeah what an exciting time for you, new house and a new beast sitting outside. If you've got a few minutes one day I would love to hear what the engine is like in this pristine condition
Appreciate 1
Huskla1.00
      07-05-2019, 05:14 AM   #4
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Welcome aboard and superb purchase. Nice to see something so little used and look forward to what you decide to do with it.
      07-05-2019, 05:46 PM   #5
Darth Niloc
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueh88 View Post
Good luck and look forward to seeing what you do with it!!
Thanks man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSweet1991 View Post
So, am I reading this correctly that your 330D has 37k miles on the clock? I cant believe how unique this e90 is, 2006 and barely broken in it's absolutely amazing!

With that said, I would love to see a video of the engine running with the bonnet open, these Diesels can have so many various sounds (hydraulic lifter ticking, brake vacuum pump rattle etc) and this will be about the best example of a good running engine with little to no issues.

As for the security if the car if you have comfort access get a key defender which blocks the signal, something I also do which I've not read anywhere else is press the transmission shifter button in and pull the shifter off. It's only a small thing but I'm thinking if somebody comes to steal my 330d automatic they're going to either need to come prepared with a spare shifter or do something long to probably bypass it, but really the idea is to make the thieves think, sod that I'll just rob the car next to it (sorry neighbour)

Also, I think you said you drove a car with 280hp? It's crazy think a remap alone could send you past that in this beast! If you've read a lot one thing I would personally advise is keeping the DPF in place if you decide on a remap. According to BWChiptune a standard remap can achieve the same or very similar results as a car without the DPF and unfortunately not many people know this.. my take is keep it until you actually "need" to remove it.. like blueh88 with his hybrids FMIC and all the rest haha.

But yeah what an exciting time for you, new house and a new beast sitting outside. If you've got a few minutes one day I would love to hear what the engine is like in this pristine condition
I got it with 34,747 miles but had to make several long trips for work this week and have managed to put 800 miles on the clock in just five days This isn't normal mileage for me though as I usually only cover a couple hundred miles a week (if even) but it gave me the chance to get to know the car and so far I am very impressed!

I took a quick video but I can't figure out how to embed it. Sorry about the background noise of rush hour in the distance. Hopefully this link will work https://streamable.com/je7iz I'll try and get a better clip and some more photos over the weekend if the weather holds.

Not my car but this is pretty much identical to my EP82. Best balls out performance car I've ever owned and 21 year old me absolutely loved it. 280bhp, 800kg, front wheel drive, no traction control and the biggest turbo I could make fit, capable of matching the Evo's, Impreza's and M3's of that time on the odd occasion when I managed to get the front wheels to stop spinning It was also loud, stiff, incredibly uncomfortable to drive further than a few miles in and it also done around 15mpg whenever I was driving it normally and probably -15mpg whenever it was on boost, something that almost 40 year old me now just would not tolerate lol

With regards to the security, I bought a Cadilock alarm https://www.cadillock.com/en/product...ck-alarm-plus/ for the car with the hope it would arrive before the car did and I could fit it on day one. It arrived a few days late but as soon as I saw the battery set-up in the boot, I realised it wasn't going to fit without major hassle.

I have fitted a GPS tracker, bought a decent steering wheel lock, OBD port immobilized stickers and have ordered what I need to actually relocate the OBD port which I plan to do this weekend. All this though is just the preshow until I can gather up the funds for a Viper system. However I will definitely look into removing the shifter

With regards to the performance tuning side of things, a remap is a definite and I've already made a few enquiries to the tuners local to me. I am also looking into a new sports exhaust but definitely am not going to touch the DPF or EGR as I live in NI and the MOT tests here are incredibly strict. I also need to consider the longevity of the motor as I plan to run her until she stops and I know all too well how much a lot of extra power can shorten the expected lifespan of an engine. I have plenty of time to figure it out though as the missus has picked her new £££ kitchen so I can forget about having any money until she gets that

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajB View Post
Welcome aboard and superb purchase. Nice to see something so little used and look forward to what you decide to do with it.
Thanks man
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 02:28 AM   #6
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Niloc View Post
Thanks man

I got it with 34,747 miles but had to make several long trips for work this week and have managed to put 800 miles on the clock in just five days This isn't normal mileage for me though as I usually only cover a couple hundred miles a week (if even) but it gave me the chance to get to know the car and so far I am very impressed!

I took a quick video but I can't figure out how to embed it. Sorry about the background noise of rush hour in the distance. Hopefully this link will work https://streamable.com/je7iz I'll try and get a better clip and some more photos over the weekend if the weather holds.

Not my car but this is pretty much identical to my EP82. Best balls out performance car I've ever owned and 21 year old me absolutely loved it. 280bhp, 800kg, front wheel drive, no traction control and the biggest turbo I could make fit, capable of matching the Evo's, Impreza's and M3's of that time on the odd occasion when I managed to get the front wheels to stop spinning It was also loud, stiff, incredibly uncomfortable to drive further than a few miles in and it also done around 15mpg whenever I was driving it normally and probably -15mpg whenever it was on boost, something that almost 40 year old me now just would not tolerate lol

With regards to the security, I bought a Cadilock alarm https://www.cadillock.com/en/product...ck-alarm-plus/ for the car with the hope it would arrive before the car did and I could fit it on day one. It arrived a few days late but as soon as I saw the battery set-up in the boot, I realised it wasn't going to fit without major hassle.

I have fitted a GPS tracker, bought a decent steering wheel lock, OBD port immobilized stickers and have ordered what I need to actually relocate the OBD port which I plan to do this weekend. All this though is just the preshow until I can gather up the funds for a Viper system. However I will definitely look into removing the shifter

With regards to the performance tuning side of things, a remap is a definite and I've already made a few enquiries to the tuners local to me. I am also looking into a new sports exhaust but definitely am not going to touch the DPF or EGR as I live in NI and the MOT tests here are incredibly strict. I also need to consider the longevity of the motor as I plan to run her until she stops and I know all too well how much a lot of extra power can shorten the expected lifespan of an engine. I have plenty of time to figure it out though as the missus has picked her new £££ kitchen so I can forget about having any money until she gets that

Thanks man
just get the egr deleted through the software in the remapping process,and give jason at bwchiptuune a call.he will more than likely have a shop in ireland that has his maps/riollers etc to map your car,,he can even do it via a live link to said shop and write a tune for your car,,had mine done this way,,350 miles from jason..good luck with the car
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2019, 04:51 AM   #7
Darth Niloc
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
just get the egr deleted through the software in the remapping process,and give jason at bwchiptuune a call.he will more than likely have a shop in ireland that has his maps/riollers etc to map your car,,he can even do it via a live link to said shop and write a tune for your car,,had mine done this way,,350 miles from jason..good luck with the car
Thanks man

Have read nothing but good things so I will try and get in touch with him next week and see what he can do.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 01:46 PM   #8
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks man

Have read nothing but good things so I will try and get in touch with him next week and see what he can do.
yup,,he's one of the good guys..i could name a few so called tuners who dont know whar they are doing,,but like of ecotune/dervteck/bwchiptune,,you get what you pay for,,quality
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 05:10 PM   #9
Darth Niloc
Rep

Yesterday was sunshine all day so I took the opportunity to wash and polish the car. There were also a few minor stone chips and marks on the paintwork that I wanted to sort. I think I done a decent enough job - She definitely scrubs up well for a 13 year old

The parts arrived for the OBD port so I got that relocated and fitted a dummy port in its place wired to a 120dB screamer That pretty much completes the security package until funds allow for a proper alarm but it also gives me some much needed peace of mind.

Costs so far;

Steering Wheel Lock - £60
GPS Tracker - £60 + £60 yearly subscription
OBD Port Relocation Parts - £50
Total - £230

Thanks,
Darth Niloc
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 05:23 PM   #10
Darth Niloc
Rep

I have a few questions if anyone can help me out...

1. The driver's door doesn't open with the fob. I knew about this whenever I bought the car and my research has confirmed that this is a problem with the door actuator. However during the week the passenger door also stopped working. I checked fuse 57 which was fine (I still replaced it with the recommended 20 amp fuse) so I guess I need to buy a pair of front door actuators Can anyone confirm the part number for these? I need to get it sorted as my missus thinks it's hilarious that she has to wait for me to open the car with my key before I can open the door for her lol

2. Can anyone confirm if the swirl flaps were still an issue on this particular car? I've read conflicting advice on this, some say it was mainly an issue on the E46 whilst others recommend removing them anyway. Can anyone confirm?

3. Can anyone confirm what the name or model type of these alloys?

I currently have no spare wheel (only a can of foam) and am reluctant to spend a few hundred on a space saver whenever I might be able to pick up a spare alloy for a similar price. I found a nice website http://www.bmwstylewheels.com/ and have shortlisted a few that I think they might be. I did ask my father but he doesn't remember what they were called but thinks they came from either an M Sport or possibly a 5 series

4. What is the recommended or preferred method of coding the car? I have looked at a few options; NCS looks to be the best perhaps but I don't have a XP laptop plus there is the potential to screw things up which I'd rather avoid. There are a couple of apps that run through your phone with My Carly at least the most heavily promoted of them. Anyone any experience of this or any other app?

Thanks,
Darth Niloc
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 03:31 AM   #11
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

i picked up a 17 inch wheel style 157 i think for £20 on gumtree with a 5-6mm mm rf tyre,i only use it on long trips,,more than 20 miles,,i have it wrapped up in bubble wrap and just throw it in when needed,,i also have an electric pump for emergencies,,also have an old foot pump which i use to put a few lbs in tyres when they need doing,i researched the wheel size and it fits my 335d etc with bigger calipers...
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 09:02 AM   #12
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330d M Sport Auto

Quote:
I have a few questions if anyone can help me out...

1. The driver's door doesn't open with the fob. I knew about this whenever I bought the car and my research has confirmed that this is a problem with the door actuator. However during the week the passenger door also stopped working. I checked fuse 57 which was fine (I still replaced it with the recommended 20 amp fuse) so I guess I need to buy a pair of front door actuators Can anyone confirm the part number for these? I need to get it sorted as my missus thinks it's hilarious that she has to wait for me to open the car with my key before I can open the door for her lol

2. Can anyone confirm if the swirl flaps were still an issue on this particular car? I've read conflicting advice on this, some say it was mainly an issue on the E46 whilst others recommend removing them anyway. Can anyone confirm?

I currently have no spare wheel (only a can of foam) and am reluctant to spend a few hundred on a space saver whenever I might be able to pick up a spare alloy for a similar price. I found a nice website http://www.bmwstylewheels.com/ and have shortlisted a few that I think they might be. I did ask my father but he doesn't remember what they were called but thinks they came from either an M Sport or possibly a 5 series

4. What is the recommended or preferred method of coding the car? I have looked at a few options; NCS looks to be the best perhaps but I don't have a XP laptop plus there is the potential to screw things up which I'd rather avoid. There are a couple of apps that run through your phone with My Carly at least the most heavily promoted of them. Anyone any experience of this or any other app?

Thanks,
Darth Niloc
1. Common issue with these to the point BMW know about it. They do a "kit" of both actuators for like £45 quid or something. I did mine a couple of years ago. I gave the part numbers from RealOEM to BMW but said they were wrong and could have been for USA parts. I think if you tell them the issue, they will definitely know what it is and makes sense to get the parts from them. I don't have the box now or otherwise I would have told you what the correct part number for the kit was!!

2. For me, due to the conflicting advice, I just did mine for the sake of £40ish quid and is very easily DIY-able. As a bonus, the intake manifold is off so gives you a good chance to clean out which is extremely satisfying! Or it was for me at least ha.

3. Apologies, I can't answer this one!

4. I've used Carly and it is very easy to use and more or less impossible to mess anything up. You can do it straight from an Android phone too which is a bonus instead of having to connect to a laptop. I don't see why you would need anything more unless you wanted to do more specialist coding (I can't think what exactly which means I wouldn't need it ha!)
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 11:45 AM   #13
J0K3R5
Lieutenant
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: BMW

Darth,

do you have links on where you got the OBD Port Relocation Parts ?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 01:25 PM   #14
Maxlude
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330D_SE_Man, F90_M5C

I also have a 13yr old 330d for 11yrs and currently 138k miles. swirl flaps are still an issue but not for being ingested, but they leak oil down the engine block which creates a right mess which is why I replaced them with blanks. Some ppl have sealed them up with success also.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 02:34 AM   #15
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

there is an odd occasion where they have fuccked an engine,,but rare,,but as above they leak,,blanks and 12 new gaskets is what needed,,got mine from XR8 e bay,,good quality with https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6X-33MM-F...72.m2749.l2649
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 06:39 AM   #16
Darth Niloc
Rep

Quote:
i picked up a 17 inch wheel style 157 i think for £20 on gumtree with a 5-6mm mm rf tyre,i only use it on long trips,,more than 20 miles,,i have it wrapped up in bubble wrap and just throw it in when needed,,i also have an electric pump for emergencies,,also have an old foot pump which i use to put a few lbs in tyres when they need doing,i researched the wheel size and it fits my 335d etc with bigger calipers...
Cheers Rasa I haven't had the chance to do anything more on this as work has been mental this week but I will have a hunt through fleabay and gumtree later today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueh88 View Post
1. Common issue with these to the point BMW know about it. They do a "kit" of both actuators for like £45 quid or something. I did mine a couple of years ago. I gave the part numbers from RealOEM to BMW but said they were wrong and could have been for USA parts. I think if you tell them the issue, they will definitely know what it is and makes sense to get the parts from them. I don't have the box now or otherwise I would have told you what the correct part number for the kit was!!

2. For me, due to the conflicting advice, I just did mine for the sake of £40ish quid and is very easily DIY-able. As a bonus, the intake manifold is off so gives you a good chance to clean out which is extremely satisfying! Or it was for me at least ha.

3. Apologies, I can't answer this one!

4. I've used Carly and it is very easy to use and more or less impossible to mess anything up. You can do it straight from an Android phone too which is a bonus instead of having to connect to a laptop. I don't see why you would need anything more unless you wanted to do more specialist coding (I can't think what exactly which means I wouldn't need it ha!)
1. It definitely does seem like a common enough issue given the number of threads on it. Will give BMW a call on Monday.

2. I'm in the same boat with the conflicting advice Given that it's a cheap and easy enough job, I think I'll go ahead and do it

4. The coding options available for the 2006 E90 seem fairly limited compared to the later models but still well worth the £50 for the adaptor.

Cheers Blue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0K3R5 View Post
Darth,

do you have links on where you got the OBD Port Relocation Parts ?
I had various bits in a box in the shed which I was able to repurpose and I picked up a wiring loom from a local(ish) scrapyard. The extension cable was the only thing I ordered online. The link is on my laptop so will dig it out for you later. It was a bit of a balls to do though and if I had to do it again, I would just order it from somewhere like https://www.dummyobd.com/shop/bmw-du...powered-siren/. I found this website after I had bought the loom and ordered the extension cable and all in, it would have worked out cheaper and much less hassle!

Quote:
there is an odd occasion where they have fuccked an engine,,but rare,,but as above they leak,,blanks and 12 new gaskets is what needed,,got mine from XR8 e bay,,good quality with https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6X-33MM-F...72.m2749.l2649
Perfect, cheers Rasa! Added to my basket and will purchase come pay day.

Thanks,
Darth Niloc
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 02:57 PM   #17
mashurst
Private
Rep
Drives: 320i E92 LCI

Quote:

Thanks,
Darth Niloc
If they're 19" then most likely style 163, originally fitted to E46 M3

http://www.bmwstylewheels.com/bmw/163

I bought a space saver for my E92 off Ebay for about 60 quid.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 05:51 PM   #18
Darth Niloc
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashurst View Post
If they're 19" then most likely style 163, originally fitted to E46 M3

http://www.bmwstylewheels.com/bmw/163

I bought a space saver for my E92 off Ebay for about 60 quid.
I saw the 163's but like you said, they seem to be a 19" only and my wheels are 18".

I think I might just bite the bullet and buy a space saver. Realistically I don't really have the room to carry a full size wheel in the boot all the time.

Thanks,
Darth Niloc
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 06:03 PM   #19
Darth Niloc
Rep

I was driving home this evening when a ******* **** of a seagull decided to shit all over my windscreen. Annoying but I was going to wash the car tomorrow anyway so...

I pulled the wiper washer to wash it anyway and the headlight washer and the wipers worked but no jet of water. Tried several times and nothing so I pulled over as I could barely see a thing with the seagull shite now smeared across my windscreen

I had a look online and it is most likely a blocked filter. Found the below instructions so think I will give this a crack tomorrow if it is a decent day.

Anyone else had this problem? Is the above likely to fix it?

Thanks,
Darth Niloc
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 10:00 AM   #20
Darth Niloc
Rep

Quote:
I had a look online and it is most likely a blocked filter. Found the below instructions so think I will give this a crack tomorrow if it is a decent day.

Anyone else had this problem? Is the above likely to fix it?

Thanks,
Darth Niloc
Gave this a go this morning and could get all but one of the bolts off. It looked fairly rung compared to the rest of them so I'm guessing someone has struggled with it before Unfortunately I have limited tools so will arrange to take the car to my father's house as he has a ramp and every tool imaginable lol

However when I was working on the above, I noticed the smell of diesel. I had filled it up with a tank of BP Ultimate this morning and realised to my horror it was literally running out from underneath the car

I found a post suggesting I had maybe overfilled the tank so I took the car for a 20 minute blast and it seems to have stopped since I got back. Maybe lost a litre of fuel all in. I did fill it to the neck though so lesson learned!

Thanks,
Darth Niloc
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 11:05 AM   #21
1 AKY
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F11 530d

Could be a leak in the fuel tank breather pipe.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 07:05 PM   #22
Darth Niloc
Rep

It's been a while since I've posted on here Hope everyone is doing good. I thought it was time to give everyone an update on the motor given that it's been over two years now since the last one....

So to recap, I bought the car in June 2019, drove it for a couple of months and then took it off the road to start the build. I had big plans for the motor and wanted at least the main upgrades completed (remap, xHP, brakes and exhaust) before I put anymore miles on the clock. But everything was on temporary hold as we were in the middle of moving house and I had zero available cash.

Not long after we got moved covid hit and I got furloughed. Not knowing at that stage if I had a job to go back to or not, I refused to spend money on anything. Back to work around July 2020 and was keen to get the build started and get the car back on the road when some idiot drove into me head on (in a company motor, not in the BMW thankfully). I majorly hurt my back which totally screwed up my plans for the next several months.

Fast forward to Summer 2021. My back is recovering for the most part, enough to start work on the car at least and finally get this build started. I had hoped to start with the brakes and maybe the suspension but I'm not equipped to attempt either job at home and with the car being off the road for almost two years meant the MOT had lapsed. Getting her transported to a garage and back was gonna cost £££ so I decided to hold off on that until she is back on the road.

I did have the opportunity back in June to get the car remapped. A mate had booked his car in but had blown the gearbox or clutch or something so we took the BMW on his trailer instead. She put out around 220 something bhp before the map and 287bhp post map IIRC which I was well pleased with, even more so given she had barely moved in two years. I also installed the xHP flash tool upgrade shortly after the remap although I haven't had the chance to really test out either yet with the car being off the road. I have a date booked for the MOT in a couple weeks time (wait times here in NI are awful) so fingers crossed she passes without issue .

That pretty much brings us up to date on a pretty uneventful project build thus far The car has just over 40k on the clock now but I'm intending to use her as my daily drive once I get her back on the road again. Engine wise I think the upgrades are complete, what more can you really do on a 330d other than a remap and xHP? Next on the upgrade list is new tyres which are getting fitted this week. Current ones have a little bit of life left but arent in great condition having sat for two years.

After that it will be either brakes, suspension and/or exhaust but I need to get her back on the road first. I'm leaning first towards the brakes which are already excellent but could always be better Two years in and I still haven't decided on the suspension. The car has M-Sport suspension (factory or dealer fitted when new) and she handles great so part of me is sort of reluctant to touch this incase I mess it up. At the same time I would like her to sit just a few mm lower... I would also love a dual exit exhaust (335d style) which is a modification I have done on every single car i've ever owned.

Anyway I will get some pictures up when I get her back on the road and will update this thread as and when the upgrades come now the build is finally underway

Thanks,
Darth Niloc
Appreciate 0