E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > Saving the Junk Yard Sport Seats

04-28-2019, 12:04 PM   #1
RealJ22
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 CT200h Cayman Boxster RC

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Saving the Junk Yard Sport Seats

Hello E90 Post,

I have been around BMW's for quite a few years and just picked up a project E90. I am doing little things here and there, but so far loving the platform over my E46.

A little bit of back story. Picked up the car from my aunt for $500. Needed a few things mechanically and was not taken the best care of. I have done a few little mods here and there to improve the vehicle. Still tackling some of the maintenance.

The car was equipped with the factory "Cardboard" seats. I have never sat in something more uncomfortable in my entire life. Even the base E46 seats feel better than these. I needed to make a change.....

After searching for black sport seats EVERYWHERE, I did end up finding a few options. Most were $200+ each shipped. Not something I would like to do on a $500 car.

Looking at local junk yards, there was a 2006 there, with tan sport seats. This is where the journey began.

let me tell you, without power to the seats, THEY ARE A PAIN IN THE ASS TO PULL. Finally was able to jump the motor with the battery on a drill to give enough space to get out the rear bolts. I grabbed the drivers side first, and then the passenger side I picked up yesterday.

Paid $46 for each seat w/ everything included. Drivers side is a little more rough than the passenger. But it can be fixed.

There are A LOT of moving parts to this seat. Being my first time dissembling, I think it went fairly smooth. The second seat took less than half of the time

This is the drivers seat taken apart (Minus seat belt)

Here are both seats finally together. I have stripped them both fully this morning and am going to do a thorough cleaning. The key is using a mixture of soap and water, 99% alcohol and SEM leather and Vinyl prep.

Last night I was finally able to clean the head rests and do a test panel... Lets just say I am very excited to see how these turn out. I will update my post probably later today with some of the actual seat results.

If anyone has any tips or suggestions, I am all ears! I will try to get these seats done by next week so you guys can see the results. I will also try to see how they wear and last in the heat and over time.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 08:38 PM   #2
RealJ22
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Well we will see how it goes!

Last edited by RealJ22; 04-28-2019 at 08:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 09:09 AM   #3
BrandJas18
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 328I 6MT Sport Wagon

Looks fantastic. How does the leather feel after dying it?
Appreciate 1
RealJ221039.00
      04-29-2019, 02:39 PM   #4
dakine_surf
Captain
Rep
Drives: TiAg e91, r53 Cooper S, e28 M5

Hell yeah dude! Loving it. I have my eye out for a set to do something similar with as well, just don't want to loose my heated seats. Kinda thinking about dying a set Saddle or Cinnamon just to see how it turns out.

Just got to keep my eyes peeled for a set at a wrecker. I don't want to throw a ton of money at it.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 11:34 PM   #5
RealJ22
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandJas18 View Post
Looks fantastic. How does the leather feel after dying it?
They are rough right now and quite dry. I might knock them down a bit and I am deciding if I am going to use a top coat. Then 303 Protectant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakine_surf View Post
Hell yeah dude! Loving it. I have my eye out for a set to do something similar with as well, just don't want to loose my heated seats. Kinda thinking about dying a set Saddle or Cinnamon just to see how it turns out.

Just got to keep my eyes peeled for a set at a wrecker. I don't want to throw a ton of money at it.
All said and done, I am out less than $120, but a good amount of time. I have a feeling they are going to work out though. If anything I can find covers for it.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 03:31 PM   #6
dakine_surf
Captain
Rep
Drives: TiAg e91, r53 Cooper S, e28 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealJ22 View Post
They are rough right now and quite dry. I might knock them down a bit and I am deciding if I am going to use a top coat. Then 303 Protectant.
I hear some 3K sanding pad or a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser will help. Just keep it wet and use very light pressure. Then top coat. I believe the top coat will also help soften things a bit.
Appreciate 1
RealJ221039.00